Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 5253545556>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what do you drive-
    Posted: Aug/25/2012 at 5:04pm
^Nice car! How was your track day? One of my favourite cars of the 1980s was the Fox body Mustang with the original 5.0 V8, because they were my car's biggest rival in street racing during that vintage haha
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2012 at 9:19pm
I see it says boss 302? What group did you go with to drive that?
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2012 at 6:17pm
Im so glad i got a prius with the way gas prices have gone and likely will continue to go
LittleShooey View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 7:00am
Since we're talking cars in the randomness forum, check out this sweet little set of wheels that rolled up yesterday. 

2012 Focus SE.

Funny, every picture I take of this thing and it looks yellow. It's not! Ford is really doing it right with the paint on their new vehicles. I'll say that. 

Better paint photo (along door panels is most accurate, its just so shiny):

So it's technically not my ride, it's my parents. But I enjoyed the hell out of it. 
Senior TS dinosaur drawer-er.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2012 at 7:27am
one of the guys at work has a focus in that color, and a boss 302 is gotta-have-it green.  like the green a lot more than the yellow-orange.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 12:30pm

Seh mi wok pon di kyar dem. Ya mon!
("me working on the car")

And a gift for the turbo lovers. Driving the Supra around a nearby city. Sorry, no gear-banging, trying to keep it in check on public roads.
https://vimeo.com/48377325
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by getkong

one of the guys at work has a focus in that color, and a boss 302 is gotta-have-it green.  like the green a lot more than the yellow-orange.

The green is pretty bitchin'. Is it the same paint they use on the Fiesta line? 
That new blue is a show stopper too. 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 12:35pm
^^ What's with the funky fluttering BOV? Is it a bypass valve?

I've wanted an IS300 with a Supra turbo motor for ages now. 1JZ or 2JZ and I'd be a happy camper :) I'm in an 02 WRX wagon now though and it works well with all the snow we get in CO.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Superorb

^^ What's with the funky fluttering BOV? Is it a bypass valve? I've wanted an IS300 with a Supra turbo motor for ages now. 1JZ or 2JZ and I'd be a happy camper :) I'm in an 02 WRX wagon now though and it works well with all the snow we get in CO.

The fluttering is compressor surge. It's caused from the throttle closing and the air still being compressed by the spinning turbo has nowhere to escape because there is no BOV. Instead, the air flows backwards through the turbo and gets chopped up by the impeller, causing that noise. I might have another video from outside the car to better demonstrate the noise.

JZ engines are great, very well-engineered iron blocks. The IS 300 has the same 3.0 litre 2JZ-GE as in the Supra, while the latter received a turbo option. My only gripe is that it was too senselessly big for a compact Lexus... the Japanese version (Altezza) got a 2.0 litre naturally aspirated four banger that drove WAYY faster than the American version.

You'll hear some knocking in my video, too. I damaged a connecting rod bearing due to sump starvation during drifting. High G-forces forced oil against the sump wall instead of the collector.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Lux

The fluttering is compressor surge. It's caused from the throttle closing and the air still being compressed by the spinning turbo has nowhere to escape because there is no BOV. Instead, the air flows backwards through the turbo and gets chopped up by the impeller, causing that noise. I might have another video from outside the car to better demonstrate the noise.

JZ engines are great, very well-engineered iron blocks. The IS 300 has the same 3.0 litre 2JZ-GE as in the Supra, while the latter received a turbo option. My only gripe is that it was too senselessly big for a compact Lexus... the Japanese version (Altezza) got a 2.0 litre naturally aspirated four banger that drove WAYY faster than the American version.

You'll hear some knocking in my video, too. I damaged a connecting rod bearing due to sump starvation during drifting. High G-forces forced oil against the sump wall instead of the collector.

I was thinking surge, but I'd never heard it that loud before. Some wastegates flutter too, but not usually when the throttle is closed.

I don't fit well in 2door cars, so that's why I like the IS300. I know it comes with non-turbo 2JZ, but I'd rather just swap in a turbo motor from the start.

It's just too bad Toyota has been moving away from "tuner" cars for some time now, but at least the FR-S is out.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 1:04pm
Mmm well a wastegate shouldn't make any noise other than a raspy scream (for very large-frame turbos) when open at full boost, otherwise is should be silent I've found that there's a lot of disinformation circulating about that. My compressor surge is pretty quiet compared to that of large turbos out there.

Here's a great video of a Supra making the same noise from a fairly large K27 turbo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2HAeZM8ZG0

Here's one from an even larger Garrett-based TO4Z:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2TThg2FBOA

Same car from inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kmFmPGMJCE
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 1:23pm
Maybe I was thinking of an improperly sized or setup WG opening and closing quickly under boost?
Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2012 at 2:20pm
i get a bit of wastegate flutter in my wrx at lower rpms and higher load.  seems to be pretty standard for the turbo that comes with the gr wrx.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 3:33pm
Ummm the wastegate is dead silent under all conditions, unless the actuator is defective in some way or the gate itself has shattered from stress. Its purpose is to open when X amount of turbo pressure is achieved, diverting exhaust gas past the turbine. By doing this it controls turbo boost. That opening actuation makes no noise. The only noise you will ever hear from a wastegate is when you use an absolutely massive unit for diverting lots of exhaust gases. Here's a Skyline GT-R with one such setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR0ebxVoKNo. The wastegate's only noise is that raspiness at full boost where a massive amount of exhaust gas is flowing through it (from harmonics in exhaust pulsations, mostly).

getkong, that flutter you hear is actually the same compressor surge that my car has. Yours is fainter because your WRX ventilates *most* of that pressure (charge) build-up via a recirculating valve, so only some air is chopped up by the turbo, whereas 100% of my charge just flows backwards through the turbo entirely for that noise.
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 3:44pm
took the doors off tonight, tomorrow will be a fun ride to school
xKevlar View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xKevlar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2012 at 7:11pm
Me and my girl Susie :D

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Lux

getkong, that flutter you hear is actually the same compressor surge that my car has. Yours is fainter because your WRX ventilates *most* of that pressure (charge) build-up via a recirculating valve, so only some air is chopped up by the turbo, whereas 100% of my charge just flows backwards through the turbo entirely for that noise.

bah, same difference. :)
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 9:25am
Originally posted by LittleShooey

Since we're talking cars in the randomness forum, check out this sweet little set of wheels that rolled up yesterday. 

2012 Focus SE.

Funny, every picture I take of this thing and it looks yellow. It's not! Ford is really doing it right with the paint on their new vehicles. I'll say that. 

Better paint photo (along door panels is most accurate, its just so shiny):

So it's technically not my ride, it's my parents. But I enjoyed the hell out of it. 

i've been really impressed with the technology that ford is putting into their cars lately, Ford Sync is impressive stuff. Focus RS is the only one i really like.. the other models are all less than impressive under the hood.. but they're good cars for sure. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

i've been really impressed with the technology that ford is putting into their cars lately, Ford Sync is impressive stuff. Focus RS is the only one i really like.. the other models are all less than impressive under the hood.. but they're good cars for sure. 

From my experience, the first years of Sync were really bad. I'm still a little weary of it, to be honest. Buggy and the interface doesn't look that great. But the concept is there. It's going to be a great product. 

Everyone like the sport versions. LOL For not being "sports cars", those little guys are beasts. I will say the new gear box on the whole line up (they call it their "PowerShift dual-clutch automated manual") is pretty cool. I know Honda's had that tech for a while but, hey. America catches up eventually.  

Solid little car. Thumbs Up
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 12:07pm
The new RS has a dual clutch gearbox?! If Subaru put a reliable one on one of their cas I'd buy one. That or a diesel in their lineup that they have in other countries.
Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor

Quote LittleShooey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 12:38pm
Speculation at this point. But possibly with paddle shifters. 

E: Yes, with paddle shifters. Source change. 

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 2:28pm
couple buddies drove the rs during an autox ford put on to get people interested.  they liked them a lot, and said they'd consider it over the wrx.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 3:51pm
It's the focus ST.  It's a 250hp turbo four with a six speed.  I haven't seen any with paddle shifters yet, but I wouldn't rule it out for the 14.  They're a lot of fun to drive.  Quick, handles pretty nicely.  They skimped on the brakes, at least in preproduction.  I don't think they had plans to upgrade them just yet.  The first year might be a little rough around the edges, but they'll improve as the model continues.  An awd version with higher horse is expected, but I think they're plan is to iron out the rough spots on the fwd version first (and see how it sells).

There's plans for a fiesta st, but I haven't seen it yet.

The sync stuff is evolving too.  The new 8" touchscreen is nice, but it's still buggy.  The engineers are constantly re-flashing (updating) the system.  Improvements are happening, but there's still days I want to manually disable (ie-punch the screen) the system. 

There is a lot of safety stuff that's kind of cool.  Cross traffic alerts, back up cams, collision avoidance, etc.  Adaptive cruise is awesome.  There's more tech than I'd like on my car, but it's interesting stuff for sure.  Most of it has been done.  Like everyone is all pumped about auto park, but VW did that a few years back. 
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 5:25pm

vroom vroom
all 90 horsepower
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 7:16pm
I've been a Subaru guy for a while now, but an AWD turbo I4 6sp dual clutch gearbox with 4 doors and a hatch and I'd buy a Ford. If Subaru put a 6sp (dual clutch or standard shift) I'd probably buy one of those too. I'm still rocking an 02 WRX wagon here :)
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2012 at 8:59pm
maybe its just me, but dual clutch gearboxes are the easiest way to make a fun car, boring. 
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 6:48am

maybe its just me, but dual clutch gearboxes are the easiest way to make a fun car, boring. 

A standard auto is a lot worse than a DSG, don't you think? I love my 5sp for the mountains, but I live in the metro which means horrible traffic all the time. A 5sp gets old real fast in city traffic.
Snow Day Colorado

ashley.daily View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ashley.daily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 6:56am
I don't know about the Ford Focus, but Ken Block does some amazing stuff with a Fiesta! :-)
Ken Block's Fiesta
alohasurf View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alohasurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 6:59am
Originally posted by ashley.daily

I don't know about the Ford Focus, but Ken Block does some amazing stuff with a Fiesta! :-)
Ken Block's Fiesta

I love those gymkhana videos. If only I could go through that many tires...
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 7:00am
oh for sure. and im only really speaking about fun/fast/well handling/coupes or smaller sedans  here.. but whenever I get into a car designed for great handling, power, torque.. the paddles just immediately dull the experience for me. Ive driven some really impressive DCT boxes, and they always just leave the experience lacking. 

It's chocolate or vanilla i guess, different people like different things. In the metro i can see how a manual transmission could get old.. but i don't mind it at all.. traffic is traffic to me.. it always sucks LOL
alohasurf View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote alohasurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 7:03am

but whenever I get into a car designed for great handling, power, torque.. the paddles just immediately dull the experience for me.

I completely agree. Paddles/steptronic just don't do it. I need a manual clutch for some fun. Though I do agree that traffic jams get old...
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 7:36am
Originally posted by alohasurf

I love those gymkhana videos. If only I could go through that many tires...
...and not have to pay for them Embarrassed

oh for sure. and im only really speaking about fun/fast/well handling/coupes or smaller sedans  here.. but whenever I get into a car designed for great handling, power, torque.. the paddles just immediately dull the experience for me. Ive driven some really impressive DCT boxes, and they always just leave the experience lacking. 

It's chocolate or vanilla i guess, different people like different things. In the metro i can see how a manual transmission could get old.. but i don't mind it at all.. traffic is traffic to me.. it always sucks LOL

There's an easy solution to that: slushbox for daily traffic and 6sp/clutch funbox for weekends.
Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2012 at 9:10am
DCT is great if you're tracking it, because a person just can't shift faster than a good one.  however, if you're not being timed, can't have more fun than rowing your own gears.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2012 at 6:51pm
A regular manual gearbox is (strictly relatively speaking) cheap to service or replace when worn out. A blown or burned automatic transmission carries an exorbitant fee for repair. I've done valvebody jobs and shift solenoids before and it is not a fun or cheap task. Most people will opt for swapping in a used transmission from the wrecker to save money, which is still a bit pricey and also carries a risk of dodgy replacement parts.

I'm only mentioning this because maintenance cost should be a major influence in a customer's selection of geartrain. Fun factor is somewhere in the mix in favour of manual shifters, but at the end of the day, somebody's got to foot the repair bill no matter what coupling type it is.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2012 at 11:13am
That's true, a buddy with a dct e92 m3 said it was like $8k for a blown trans?
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2012 at 11:21am
That sounds about right. My friend broke his 7-speed SMG III in his E60 M5 and the bill for that replacement was $15'000. He wished he had an E39 after that day.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2012 at 1:14pm
hotdamn. that tranny wasn't even that good to begin with. I take it he found a new car?
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 7:18am
He convinced his dad (a physician) that he had nothing to do with it, and his dad footed the bill. Wow, I know.

In other news, I dug up a very old video of my car from the outside. Makes noise and pollution.

https://vimeo.com/48776263

~SSSS-THU-TU-Tutu-tu-tuuu...
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Lux

He convinced his dad (a physician) that he had nothing to do with it, and his dad footed the bill. Wow, I know.

In other news, I dug up a very old video of my car from the outside. Makes noise and pollution.

https://vimeo.com/48776263

~SSSS-THU-TU-Tutu-tu-tuuu...

How old was said kid?
Snow Day Colorado

Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 8:50am
This was a few years ago, so I think he was about 22 or so. I still shake my head whenever I see him
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 9:04am
Ok, it makes me feel better to say this since I've had to work like a madman to even afford an $8k crappy Honda, but that father is an idiot to buy his kid a $70k+ car let alone believe him or pay 15k for a tranny fix.

With that said, if my dad wanted to buy me an M5 I don't think I'd tell him no Big smile
Snow Day Colorado

kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2012 at 9:25am
going to pick up a new bumper for my jeep tomorrow then hopefully getting a winch
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 2:16pm
replaced (most of) the coolant and power steering fluid in the z06 in preparation for hpde at sears point this weekend.  stoked! also have a day at laguna on 11/3, but that's not for another two months.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 2:52pm

replaced (most of) the coolant and power steering fluid in the z06 in preparation for hpde at sears point this weekend.  stoked! also have a day at laguna on 11/3, but that's not for another two months.

Might want to upgrade your brake fluid with better stuff. It's pretty easy to boil stock Dot5 fluid.
Snow Day Colorado

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Superorb

Might want to upgrade your brake fluid with better stuff. It's pretty easy to boil stock Dot5 fluid.

i've been spending time over the last two months getting it ready for the track. the coolant and ps fluid were just last two i got to. :)

ate blue brake fluid
ss lines
porterfield r4s pads
new blank rotors

amsoil diff, trans, engine oil

nitto nt05 tires

new valve springs and seals

cleaned air filter

short shifter

shaved seat cushion so i can fit with a helmet on

installed column lock bypass

installed head unit (less perf oriented, but i enjoy bluetooth streaming audio instead of radio or those weird shiny flat circles with an hour of music on them)

new hid projector headlights in the mail.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 3:36pm
^^ Nice. Good on you for going with blank rotors, so many people fall for the drilled/slotted gimmick.

What HID projectors? I have a set of old TSX projectors and some FX-R projectors that I haven't had time to retro into my 02 WRX.
Snow Day Colorado

Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 3:57pm
Kong, which track do you go to?
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 4:02pm
Need to get my first car. Would love a WRX but they are expensive for the good looking ones (06 and newer I think) and rare/kinda ugly in the old ones. Anybody know if the Mazda Protege 5's are any good? Seem to mock the WRX. 
~2011 CAPiTA Indoor Survival FK~2011 Union Cyan Forces~2012 Burton Rulers~
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 4:17pm
mazdaspeed 3 competes with the wrx, but is fwd.  cheaper, though.

i'll be going to sears point (formerly infineon) this weekend, and laguna seca in november.  might try to squeeze a day at thunderhill in at some point, too.

i bought ACA projectors for the vette.  way too lazy to retro them.  
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2012 at 4:55pm
Only a woman would buy a car for looks... I'm being dead serious.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5253545556>