Burton Jacket Sizing

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burton Jacket Sizing
    Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 3:59pm
Hi,

So a few of you know I bought a Burton Pants as talked about in this thread: http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35393. The pants I bought was the Burton Ranger Pants size Small and I found it a bit baggy for my 30' waist (size small is recommended for 30'-32').

I'm considering getting a jacket along with my new pants. My main issue is sizing of Burton jackets. I understand they tend to be a bit bigger than normal. I tried on a size small once and it was just way too long and big for me, so small is out of the question. Would XS work for me? I haven't seen any size XS in stores so I couldnt try them out. I'm pretty short, just 5'5. My concern is the XS jacket being too long for meSleepy.

Any insight is welcomed.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:02pm
the normal fit is not bigger than normal.

at 5'5 a small is probably the best fit.  its outerwear, not a casual slim fitting jacket.

so many people wear such small jackets... its so silly looking.
C2Marty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote C2Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:04pm
Heres a comparison to me.

I am 5'11" and 170lbs.  My waist is a 32 and my normal size is a Medium for lets say a North Face jacket.

When I purchased the Burton Ranger Pants, I bought size Small going by their size chart.  When the pants came, I could probably kick it down a notch another size, but I like it roomy so that was good.   I also went ahead and purchased a Burton Poacher jacket in a Medium based on their size chart.  When the Medium came, it was larger than life and I was swimming in it. 

I returned the jacket for a small.  Although the jacket now does fit, it is just a tad tight under the arms in which otherwise good fitting jacket.   The tight fit under the pits don't really bother me and I can still fold my arms across without a problem.  Hope this helps you. 

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:07pm
im 5'11 and 155.  i wear XL normal fit jackets and thats just a regular loose outerwear fit.  medium is  way too short on me and the sleeves arent long enough.  whats up with peoples minds thinking these jackets are so big?  medium is so short on someone whos 5'11, and youre even bigger than me.

this is snowboarding.  its outerwear.  its supposed to be loose.. stop the small jacket trend!
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:33pm
I'm not trying to find a tighter fitting jacket. I've already tried on a small and the sleeves were way too long for me. Loose or fitted doesn't bother me. My concern is if an XS would still be too long for me considering I'm only 5'5. Hope that clarifies things
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:34pm
my sleeves are extra long for me but thats fine.  its outerwear.  dont get an XS.. thats tiny.

if i were your size i would probably wear mediums.
C2Marty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote C2Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by spenser

im 5'11 and 155.  i wear XL normal fit jackets and thats just a regular loose outerwear fit.  medium is  way too short on me and the sleeves arent long enough.  whats up with peoples minds thinking these jackets are so big?  medium is so short on someone whos 5'11, and youre even bigger than me.

this is snowboarding.  its outerwear.  its supposed to be loose.. stop the small jacket trend!

The small has an overhang covering nearly my whole hand still and the length is perfect on the small.  Its just preference I guess.   The Medium was literally too baggy for me and half way down my thigh. 
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:40pm
I do normally wear smalls, but it seems like Burton jackets tend to be bigger than normal. Small was already ridiculously big on me, I'm just wondering how XS would be like. I might even consider another brand if XS is too big. Remember I'm only 5'5.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:40pm
i dont get how a medium can be half way down your thigh when an XL is not even that long for me.  were the same height, but youre heavier than me.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:42pm
these are both XL on me.  5'11, 155 pounds.

and this is a burton small on a kid whos definitely smaller than you.  hes 11.  he might be like 5'2 and 110 pounds.  it fits him perfectly.

C2Marty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote C2Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by spenser

i dont get how a medium can be half way down your thigh when an XL is not even that long for me.  were the same height, but youre heavier than me.

I don't know either.  I am not one of these kids that wear their jackets and jeans really tight either.  I like it comfy and a tad spacious but the small fits me better than the medium.  Maybe I have heavy bones?  I really don't know.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 4:50pm
like spenser said, don't go with size xs because you will have a hard time putting layer in. the sleeves are suppose to be long so that snow won't get in that easy and won't restrict your movement.
i'm 5'7 and 160lbs give or take 3lbs and i wear size medium from pretty much any brands, even size large from 686 jacket for some reasons. I still haven't come across a jacket that go down half-way on my thigh yet (even a 686 size large). so, size S will be a good choice for you consider that you will use this jacket for a while and layer up for different conditions you will come across.

i even use a set of nomis one-piece suit in size medium which fit me really well except a little long on the legs (but it really doesn't matter cause i can always roll them upWink).
hmmm... Now What???   
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:23pm
Well I'm a tiny guy, 5'5 and 125lbs. I tried on the S and it's just out of the question; it's seriously too big for me. I could even wear my normal jacket under it. My chest size is 33'. XS is 34-36. S is 36-38. That's why there's no way I'm considering S. Size S is not a little too big, it's way too big! So I'm wondering if XS will still be too big for me. Once again, I'm a very small person, short even for an asian person...
toade View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote toade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:25pm
I too recently purchased Burton jackets and pants. Burton Slub jacket and Burton Ranger pants. I'm 5'10, 175lbs, 33" waste and normally a size 39R... I sized down to small in both and I'm glad I did. They pants are still plenty roomy without being too baggy. Same with the jacket. Actually the jacket is roomier than the pants, and I would have found a Medium to be way to big for my liking.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:25pm
i must be living in a different world if an XL is a normal fit on me and people my same size or bigger say the same about small.

your jackets are tiny and you look silly.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:27pm
just tried on a few small burton sig fits and i looked like i was trying to wear a girls jacket.  im skinny... ectomorph body type... i dont have broad shoulders or big muscles.
sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:32pm
Just dont get the Team Fit jackets, those run bigger. I'm 5'8" and i wear a Signature Fit in size small and its just right. I tried on a team fit in store and the sleeves were longer and the jacket overall was too long for me, but for those that like baggy
I'm in need of bindings for my 5 boards..
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:41pm
well thats not so nice. 'normal' is a very individual perspective. 

im ur height spenser, and much heavier.  No way in hell, id ever get an XL. from burton. Even some large burton jackets are huge on me, and look, well, 'silly'. 

Some might say the same about wearing tight ass jeans. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:43pm
i just find it weird that people who are bigger than me are wearing smalls and mediums and saying its a normal fit.  i can go try on plenty of smalls and mediums right now and theyre all small... and keep in mind im not trying to have a huge jacket, just normal outerwear fit.

they were even small for casual jackets... and for casual clothes im into slimmer fits, so..... if theyre still too small..

edit: and if you were implying i wear "tight ass jeans" (not sure if you were), i dont.  i dont own any "tight" clothes.
dltenshi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dltenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:49pm
dude, that's like saying you don't understand why some people prefer briefs and other prefer boxers.  

besides, isn't snowboarding about expressing yourself?  imagine if everyone on the hills has the same taste in outerwear, same taste in boards and same riding style.  what's the point then?  

sheeshgosh View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sheeshgosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:50pm
i think to be more clear or post up pics would help alot more, but everybodys too lazy to even take pics of the stuff theyre selling on B/S/T, let alone taking a pic for someone to see how a certain clothing item will fit.
I'm in need of bindings for my 5 boards..
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:51pm
a regular fit is not the same as a preference between different types of things.  were talking about a physical size of something, which is fact based.

but nevermind, i was just trying to help eliminate the silly small jacket trend.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 5:53pm
i dig it, all im sayin is that 'normal' varies. some guys like the snug fit, loose fit, team fit..etc.. and to them, thats normal. so many variants in sizing, i can wear a medium burton team fit, large sig fit, XL in whatever fit the Japanese sizing is called.. for the idiom style jackets. most otherwise, i rock large for top an bottoms.. but ya know.. thats what i find comfy. 

squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 6:16pm
Well XS exists for a reason, some people really are XS. The thing is I don't know if it'll will be too big for me. Once again, I'm a very small person.

Has anyone tried a Burton XS jacket?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:03pm
i get that youre 5'5 and skinny.  and im saying i think XS will be too small.  thats it.

did that kids jacket look too big?  the one i posted in the smoke camo AK jacket?  hes definitely smaller than you, and thats a small...
dltenshi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dltenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:15pm
yah spenser has a point. 

jackets that fit too snug aren't as useful.  I recently sized up and find larger jacket to be more versatile because you have more options with layering.

But I also  fear what would happen if spenser triumph with his crusade against silly small jackets:

*shudder*
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:21pm
thats just silly big and even worse looking

the middleground is where its at.  most people are stuck on the small side though.

the best part is when a dude thats fairly built gets a jacket thats too small, but he needs large or XL pants for his waist size.. fitted jacket with loose pants.  awesome!
mcc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:29pm
All I know is way way too many snowboarders walk around looking like some kind of snow gangster.  I'm not saying you need to wear skin tight outerwear, but maybe try pulling your pants up higher than your knees. Most of the kids, park rats especially, look like they are wearing a freaking costume.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:35pm
this has nothing to do with pants, but i agree i guess.  but as far as what were talking about........ let me ask you this. do my XL jackets look too big in those pictures or any footage any of you have seen of me?  do they look too long or too lose?

going by size charts im a small or medium, so keep that in mind.  and again.... i tried on a few small burton jackets to see how it would fit someone my size, and they were tiny.  way short length, short sleeves, etc.
dltenshi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dltenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:38pm
[QUOTE=spenser]this has nothing to do with pants, but i agree i guess.  but as far as what were talking about........ let me ask you this. do my XL jackets look too big in those pictures or any footage any of you have seen of me?  do they look too long or too lose?

alright spenser, you win.  I'll just say it:

you look hot in those pictures

j/k man, i actually agree with what you're saying

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:39pm
or check this.  this is my friend/room mate richie.  hes wearing burton XL and he is probably 5'6 or 5'7 and about 145 pounds.  does this look too big?  cause it looks like a perfect outerwear fit to me.

mcc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:42pm
Ya I guess my post was pretty random.  I just can't stand that look.  Going by the pictures above I don't think your clothes look too big at all.  
dltenshi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dltenshi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:44pm
the last pic of your friend richie is so sick

should be on the cover of some magazine
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:47pm
c'mon spenser, get with it. skinny jeans ftw.

i kid.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 7:52pm
spenser, that jacket looked fine on that kid from that picture, but I would like to see different angles. I actually tried on a small and it looked nothing like that. It was just too big and long. My entire hand was covered up and it came down midway to my thighs, not to mention way more than enough room for layering.

My current jacket is a columbia titanium jacket size small and it fits fine with plenty (not ridiculous) of room for layering. But the Burton jacket is just ridiculously huge. That's why I'm wondering if even an XS would be too big for me. If so I'll probably go with a different brand or just stick with my current jacket. But it doesn't seem like anyone so far has tried on a XS to give their thoughts.
fatboyj711 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote fatboyj711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 8:28pm
spenser, that jacket looked fine on that kid from that picture, but I would like to see different angles. I actually tried on a small and it looked nothing like that. It was just too big and long. My entire hand was covered up and it came down midway to my thighs, not to mention way more than enough room for layering.

your description above is pretty much what spenser sees as "normal" fit for snowboard outerwear... i agree that "normal" is different for everyone, but this is what i consider normal as well... i actually prefer the sleeves to completely cover my hands even when i bring my arms straight up in front of me shoulder level... this ensures that the sleeves will still be long enough when i have my thickest mid-layer on (and you can always cinch the wrist so the sleeves don't get past your gloves when you ride)... if the sleeves don't cover your hands when they are by your side, they will likely come up and expose your forearms when you lift your arms which won't be fun on wet/powder days...

ironically, i make sure my jackets fit just as you described the small Burton jacket above as well as ensure that it's loose fitting enough to have full range of motion with my arms without any resistance in the armpit area... i think this is both aesthetically pleasing and practical for snowboarding... based on what you see as normal, i'd look into holden jackets as a possible alternative... holden jackets in M or S should give you the fitted style you seem to be looking for... stay away from airblaster
Maaman91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Maaman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2010 at 8:28pm
yeah they usually fit larger on me
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 4:27am
I rock burton sig fits in XS in jacket and pants. I'm 5'6 and 120lbs.

I tried the SM at first and it was a bit bigger than i though it would be. The jacket had too much room for me. The pants I had to use the velcro adjusters and adjust it all the way to fit right it just looked funny.

I returned it and got XS and it fits fine. Still enough room for layering. Fit just about right to me.

It's not a SLIM fit. Burton has a slim fit line for that. It's still baggy but not as big as when i tried on the SM size.

ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 4:32am
stay away from skinny jeans!
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Quote eriklim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 7:19am
I agree with most of the peeps here.

When I first tried burton stuff, I noticed they were a size larger than I used to.  But layering on stuff and actually trying it on practically. It fit really good and rides well.  I think the sizing is perfect.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 2:22pm
if you think burton jacket is huge on you, why not go with other brands? just curious. also what burton jacket you tried on? 
hmmm... Now What???   
Razkul99 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Board Loiter...

Quote Razkul99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 5:12pm
I am 5'11" and 180 lbs and my Burton Slub in large(Sig Fit) works awesome. IMO, Burton designed my snowboarding jacket for layering, which if worn without would seem baggy.
Shake and bake...
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by determined

I rock burton sig fits in XS in jacket and pants. I'm 5'6 and 120lbs.

I tried the SM at first and it was a bit bigger than i though it would be. The jacket had too much room for me. The pants I had to use the velcro adjusters and adjust it all the way to fit right it just looked funny.

I returned it and got XS and it fits fine. Still enough room for layering. Fit just about right to me.

It's not a SLIM fit. Burton has a slim fit line for that. It's still baggy but not as big as when i tried on the SM size.

Yea I tried the XS pants they just fit with just enough room for a base layer, though I ended up getting the S after hearing suggestions to size up. I sorta wished I got the XS now. The S was too long and wide for me. :S

Regarding the XS jacket you got, how long did the sleeves extend? Did it cover the entire hand? Also how long did the length extend? Did it cover the butt? halfway to thighs?

My main concern is length, not so much room for layering (I only wear just a tee-shirt underneath).
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2010 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

if you think burton jacket is huge on you, why not go with other brands? just curious. also what burton jacket you tried on? 

Because I bought Burton pants. That's probably not the best of reasons, but nevertheless, it's my reasonSmile.

I tried on quite a few Burton jackets, all of which were sig fits. If you're looking for the name, I think I tried on a Burton Ranger jacket and another one which was bright baby blue(I forgot the name).
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 4:28am
Originally posted by squeezied

Regarding the XS jacket you got, how long did the sleeves extend? Did it cover the entire hand? Also how long did the length extend? Did it cover the butt? halfway to thighs?

My main concern is length, not so much room for layering (I only wear just a tee-shirt underneath). 

very detail oriented. I still see my fingers. The sleeve covers about 2/3rds of my hands. The jacket about covers my butt . It's a bit higher than halfway up my thigh about 3 inches higher.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 7:35am
cool thanks, yea length is a big concern for me
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 8:30am
'Sig Fit' varies from jacket-to-jacket as well, and from year-to-year.  For example, a Hover jacket fits slightly larger than a Stagger jacket, and a '10 Stagger is slighly larger than a '09 Stagger.  Then you've got the TWC collection, where apparently Shaun White requested that everything get sized down a 1/2 size.  And then there's the hoodies and softshells, which fit true-to size in my experience.

I'm 5' 11" 180, normally wear a 42L suit size, and I couldn't imagine wearing a XL in most Burton/Analog stuff.  Most Larges feels like I'm swimming in it.  I consder 'true-to-size' being that my shoulders match up with with the actual shoulders on the jacket; not hanging down my arms a few inches, and to get that, I need to go with a medium most of the time.

If your size is in doubt, just buy the two sizes you're considering, and return the one that doesn't fit.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 9:38am
hmmm well I'm considering a Ranger jacket or Field jacket, both of which I believe are sig fits. Any insight on its fit?

Reason why I can't buy two sizes is because S is too big for me so it's either XS or something smaller than that, which there are none. Also I live in Canada, so I don't wanna get complicated with international shipping.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 9:44am
Also might consider getting a TWC Signature Trench jacket if things really are sized down 1/2 size.
C2Marty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote C2Marty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 2:44pm
spenser as much as I hate to admit being wrong, I am wrong.  The medium with what my normal layering would be is a more perfect fit than lets say a Small.

I tried the Large and well, thats way too big.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>