Burton Jacket Sizing

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rylab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rylab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burton Jacket Sizing
    Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 3:24pm
I'm 5'6" / 150lbs and have a Burton jacket in Medium, and the sleeves are WAY too long for me, but everything else basically fits -- very loosely, but I like it like that. And once you velcro the sleeve ends over your glove ends, it doesn't matter that the sleeves bunch up a bit, you'll never notice when you're riding. A small may have fit me better, but I don't mind the Medium at all. In your case, I think a small would also be best, an XS would be too tight. Always better to err on the larger size with outerwear -- it's your thermals that you want to fit snug. Hope that helps.
Spyd3r View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Spyd3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 11:02pm
I'm 5'9.5 and 155lb and would fit in between a Medium and Large.

I think the OP could likely wear an XS if he/she says that the S is too big (obviously by elimination the XS would likely fit then if not be still too big...).

On a side note, Fredrik Kalbermatten would wear the XL if not XXL. That is the look I think another person in this forum is going for which isn't wrong and is a sick look for sure :P.

On another note, you see riders like Terje or Nicolas riding not so baggy looking and they still kill it (while not going into the skinny jeans, tight outwear group). So in the end wear what you think fits you and makes you snowboard better. I personally like baggier fits but a regular fit is fine too.

My waist size is 31, and sometimes I wish I maybe had a small pair of pants compared to the medium I have right now, and yet at times I wish I had a large pair for extra steeze..
Spyd3r View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Spyd3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 11:04pm
Sorry, forgot to say my sizes were in the Signature Fit.
apathetic_one View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cubs suck

Quote apathetic_one Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 11:19pm
I'm 5'10" 165 lbs and medium jacket and pants both fit me well. Sig fit for both, I believe. For the OP, even if someone else has tried on an XS, that doesn't help you much. Short-waisted/long waisted, arm length, ect that doesn't come out in height or weight listings could change the fitting for you.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2010 at 11:21pm
well I don't care so much about tight/roomy fit, it's just the length that i'm concerned about. i'm pretty short at 5'5 and everything i wear is always longer than it should be and it sucks.

I just don't know how the length of the XS will be likeConfused
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 8:56pm
I totally agree with Spenser here.  I'm just as suprised that people bigger than me are wearing such tiny jackets. They might as well be babies so they can squeeze into those tiny things. I have no idea of whats up with the short jacket trend.  I always see people at my hill with short jackets it just looks mentally challenged This is snowboarding not streetwear. You want your stuff a little longer. Even those dudes with tight snowpants wear longer jackets. I think this short jacket trend is a evil spawn of the short/tight t-shirt trend.  I think everyone is hooked on this preppy Abercrombie/Hollister small jacket, small t-shirt thing. I always see dudes at the mall that are way bigger than I am buying size small t-shirts. I'm 5'8" and I wear a Medium/Large t-shirt and theres guys who are 5'11"-6' that are getting size small. I have no problem if you like slimmer fitting t-shirts but really that small? WTF? You might as well just stop buying snowboarding brands and go for something like North Face. Snowboarding jackets are getting longer and longer every season.

Squeezied, I'm asian too, you should get a small or even a medium length is not a problem. The extra length will actually help you. The extra length will go down and cover the upper part of your waist so every time you strap in your butt won't be hanging out. This will also help when you sit down, it will help you from getting wet. I'm 5'8" and I wear a Medium team fit or Large sig fit jacket and they hit me about mid thigh. Length is your friend. Like I said in your pants thread bigger is more functionable. You don't see any pros out there riding small jackets do you? Theres a reason jackets are long. So pony the f!#$ up and get with the real world, act like a man, and get a small or medium. End story.

Another thing. I have no idea why people automatically assume slim fit pants are tight ass pants. They are totally different. Tight ass pants are those skinny/super skinny fit pants.
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 10:24pm
I understand bigger is more functionable, but there is no need to go overboard. As I mentioned before the small jacket I tried on had way too much room. Not surprising as my chest size of 33' doesn't fit into the 36-38 range recommended for a small. XS is recommended for 34-36. Can you blame me for wondering if XS will be too big? The fact is smaller sizes exist for reasons other than for giants wishing to look preppy. In the real world, not everyone fits into a similar size, there are people that fit for XS. Length has always been a problem for me, everything I wear is always too long for me, be it jeans or tee-shirts or jackets. I have no doubt a snowboard jacket will have more than enough length for me.

Again, I'm not looking for a slim constricting fit, just something appropiate for my body type.
jdc329 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Killington, VT

Quote jdc329 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 10:25pm
Try to find a local shop where you can try it on then buy it online. Its hard to compare measurements and paying return shipping sucks!
squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2010 at 10:56pm
The prob is there are no XS in my local shops :(
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2010 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Funinc158

I totally agree with Spenser here.  I'm just as suprised that people bigger than me are wearing such tiny jackets. They might as well be babies so they can squeeze into those tiny things. I have no idea of whats up with the short jacket trend.  I always see people at my hill with short jackets it just looks mentally challenged This is snowboarding not streetwear. You want your stuff a little longer. Even those dudes with tight snowpants wear longer jackets. I think this short jacket trend is a evil spawn of the short/tight t-shirt trend.  I think everyone is hooked on this preppy Abercrombie/Hollister small jacket, small t-shirt thing. I always see dudes at the mall that are way bigger than I am buying size small t-shirts. I'm 5'8" and I wear a Medium/Large t-shirt and theres guys who are 5'11"-6' that are getting size small. I have no problem if you like slimmer fitting t-shirts but really that small? WTF? You might as well just stop buying snowboarding brands and go for something like North Face. Snowboarding jackets are getting longer and longer every season.

Squeezied, I'm asian too, you should get a small or even a medium length is not a problem. The extra length will actually help you. The extra length will go down and cover the upper part of your waist so every time you strap in your butt won't be hanging out. This will also help when you sit down, it will help you from getting wet. I'm 5'8" and I wear a Medium team fit or Large sig fit jacket and they hit me about mid thigh. Length is your friend. Like I said in your pants thread bigger is more functionable. You don't see any pros out there riding small jackets do you? Theres a reason jackets are long. So pony the f!#$ up and get with the real world, act like a man, and get a small or medium. End story.

Another thing. I have no idea why people automatically assume slim fit pants are tight ass pants. They are totally different. Tight ass pants are those skinny/super skinny fit pants.
youre speakin' my language.

ive been trying a bunch of these sizes on to really feel it out.  small is WAY too short and very silly looking, but i fit in it just fine.  i can see how someone my size would think it fits okay, but you look silly.  you really do.  for real, look at the pictures i posted again.. those are XL jackets, i am 5'11, and about 155 pounds.  if youre wearing mediums or smalls at my/our size, take off two or three full sizes from the way my jacket looks on me.  thats tiny.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2010 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Spyd3r

I'm 5'9.5 and 155lb and would fit in between a Medium and Large.

I think the OP could likely wear an XS if he/she says that the S is too big (obviously by elimination the XS would likely fit then if not be still too big...).

On a side note, Fredrik Kalbermatten would wear the XL if not XXL. That is the look I think another person in this forum is going for which isn't wrong and is a sick look for sure :P.

On another note, you see riders like Terje or Nicolas riding not so baggy looking and they still kill it (while not going into the skinny jeans, tight outwear group). So in the end wear what you think fits you and makes you snowboard better. I personally like baggier fits but a regular fit is fine too.

My waist size is 31, and sometimes I wish I maybe had a small pair of pants compared to the medium I have right now, and yet at times I wish I had a large pair for extra steeze..
youd be surprised at the sizes theyre actually wearing.  its not huge looking, your right, but theyre still at least larges and i think terje wears xl jackets sometimes by knowing his size and looking at pictures.

again, im wearing xl in those pictures and that jacket looks like a completely normal outerwear fit.  if anything, id like it to be about an inch longer.

your perception of fits when looking down at yourself VS perception from an outsiders POV is completely different.  and no, im not saying you need to look "cool" for other people.  im just saying, it doesnt fit the way it might look when you try it on over your tshirt or whatever, wearing casual jeans.  my XL looks way bigger when i put it on while wearing normal clothes than it does when im in snowpants and actually snowboarding.
Spyd3r View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Spyd3r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2010 at 6:05am
Originally posted by spenser

youd be surprised at the sizes theyre actually wearing.  its not huge looking, your right, but theyre still at least larges and i think terje wears xl jackets sometimes by knowing his size and looking at pictures.

again, im wearing xl in those pictures and that jacket looks like a completely normal outerwear fit.  if anything, id like it to be about an inch longer.

your perception of fits when looking down at yourself VS perception from an outsiders POV is completely different.  and no, im not saying you need to look "cool" for other people.  im just saying, it doesnt fit the way it might look when you try it on over your tshirt or whatever, wearing casual jeans.  my XL looks way bigger when i put it on while wearing normal clothes than it does when im in snowpants and actually snowboarding.

Yeah I don't think I'd try going with a medium for snowboarding unless I was just going to use it as a casual day to day street jacket. Small would likely work as a day to day thing too but then it gets to the problem of likely not covering up my gloves if I try to use it while snowboarding.

I think the XL looks a little big on you but only a little if anything. As long as it's functional then...
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2010 at 7:17am
Sorry squeezied if I came off as an arsehole. I was tired while I was typing that. Once again I agree with Spenser here jackets look huge when you are trying them on with casual clothes. My echo looks like a dress on me when I'm wearing normal clothes. Its just that as soon as you put on those baggy snow pants it makes it look better. It goes the same way with your pants. Look at this pictures I found on my local ski resort website. The kid on the left probably bought his stuff thinking since it fit him in normal clothes it will fit him when he has all his stuff on. The jacket is way too short and big up top. Probably because he tried thinking it will fit with street clothes so it will fit with shred clothes.

Now look at Terje and Louie. Their stuff is not ginormous but its still appropriately long. I know for a fact that Louie is your height/weight. He actually wears larges or sometimes x-large. He comes back to my resort, his hometown, to throw a rail jam. I've talked to him and seen his jacket. Once he threw his jacket out to the crowd, it was a large. So small or medium is not too crazy for you.

squeezied View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote squeezied Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2010 at 4:49pm
It's cool, funinc158, I was tired too. My mind is still set on an XS for a Burton jacket, but I think I will hold off from buying one for now. I currently use a Columbia titanium jacket size S and it's perfectly fine, plenty of room, entire hands are covered, and length comes down to my butt. All in all, I like the fit of my current jacket. It's just that knowing how Burton sizes are bigger I should choose accordingly. Again I think I'll just hold off from buying a new jacket for now, my old one is fine, I just don't like the style/color.
Funinc158 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Funinc158 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2010 at 8:00pm
I know you are set on that xs. I just wanted to show you those pics.
ecocar View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote ecocar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2014 at 2:11am
Hi to everyone,
I se that it is a old post but I try anyway.

I am 5.75 feet and 150 lbs. I am looking at Burton AK Jacket like Cyclic or Freebird.
I like to dress normal, not large and under the jacket I will use multiple layers.
What do you suggest? M or S size?

thanks a lot!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12