Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local
Sella Nevea Italy 2012: I-FREE Finals - Italian Freeride Circuit

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: For those with multiple boards/quiver
    Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 9:15am
I admit I am something of a gear pack-rat now... and its all Sierra's fault Big smile

I ride year round here in Austria and I have 5 different resorts around me all which are extremely different: from a glacier up at 3000m down to the "normal" local places which come all the way down into the valley (around 700-900m depending on which resort). So our conditions vary extremely here from resort to resort also based on wind and temperature. Since we dont have a great accurate weather station or report for my local mountains, I like to have a bunch of different boards around if I am driving. 
Basically I have a rock board for early season and summer (as in I dont care anymore if I hit rocks with it which is bound to happen when you try to freeride the first snowfall of the season!), I have 2 everyday boards with rocker and very soft flex, one has no edge anymore so I use it for the wooden parks like the Stash in Flachau or when we are jibbing the picnic tables in the summer, the other is for normal winter park riding days. I also have the Lib TRS which is a stiffer board (for me) in the same size for icy conditions or really heavy slush or badly tracked runs down our glacier backcountry gullies.
I have 2 powder boards, one super long one which I have yet to use since we havent had sick powder this year (at least including a weekend day where I am not working) so I think I jinxed myself when I bought it. My normal powder/backcountry board is my Skate Banana (its a few sizes bigger than my park boards).
I have several different bindings for the boards so I dont have to switch around too much. I try to get different brands and styles to mix with different boards to get an idea of which ones fit well together for different conditions.
So, if you NEED a reason for more boards, you can always find them... the question really is: who are you trying to convince?
My boyfriend does give me crap all the time about having so many boards, mainly because he has only one which doesnt stop him from doing everything with it. But in the end, if someone gave him a new board, he wouldnt say no either, or if he had the extra cash and saw a great deal, he would go for it too.
I dont feel guilty about indulging in riding gear since that is basically my one and only vice in life.... basically Big smile  and in the end you cant take money with you when you die anyway haha... 
Go for it man.
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Boarderin

I admit I am something of a gear hussy now... and its all Sierra's fault Big smile

I ride year round here in Austria and I have 5 different resorts around me all which are extremely different: from a glacier up at 3000m down to the "normal" local places which come all the way down into the valley (around 700-900m depending on which resort). So our conditions vary extremely here from resort to resort also based on wind and temperature. Since we dont have a great accurate weather station or report for my local mountains, I like to have a bunch of different boards around if I am driving. 
Basically I have a rock board for early season and summer (as in I dont care anymore if I hit rocks with it which is bound to happen when you try to freeride the first snowfall of the season!), I have 2 everyday boards with rocker and very soft flex, one has no edge anymore so I use it for the wooden parks like the Stash in Flachau or when we are jibbing the picnic tables in the summer, the other is for normal winter park riding days. I also have the Lib TRS which is a stiffer board (for me) in the same size for icy conditions or really heavy slush or badly tracked runs down our glacier backcountry gullies.
I have 2 powder boards, one super long one which I have yet to use since we havent had sick powder this year (at least including a weekend day where I am not working) so I think I jinxed myself when I bought it. My normal powder/backcountry board is my Skate Banana (its a few sizes bigger than my park boards).
I have several different bindings for the boards so I dont have to switch around too much. I try to get different brands and styles to mix with different boards to get an idea of which ones fit well together for different conditions.
So, if you NEED a reason for more boards, you can always find them... the question really is: who are you trying to convince?
I dont feel guilty about indulging in riding gear since that is basically my one and only vice in life.... basically Big smile  and in the end you cant take money with you when you die anyway haha... 
Go for it man.

wow, year round, that's really awesome!
be talkin to ya
Hydrosonic View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
I know, I'm doing it wrong

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 10:52am

I'll usually have 2 that I ride for a day. Depending on the time of the year and the weather, I use my 5 year old beat up LTD but amazingly it holds up in Powder and in the park too. If I'm strictly riding powder, I pull out my Nitro Hannah Meyen. The board was supposedly made for all mountain and jumps but I find it works best in powder. Packed powder and I plan on riding everything, my Burton Gtwin.  By Flow Jewel mostly for park but I find it works well in all conditions.

Each board has it's own set of bindings

You didn't know what you think you thought you knew.
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 12:08pm
I have two boards and I take both of them, i f i had another pair of bindings it would be easier to switch boards out, but i have yet to switch boards on a day for some reason
2010 Ride Yukon - 2010 Sierra Stunt - 2010 Cartels - 2010 Antennas
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 3:24pm
I have a locker at my local hill, so we keep my husbands Lib Tech TRS, my Capita SMF, and our Capita Sierrascope in it most of the time, so it's right on hand if we want to switch out. The Scope is actually mine, but sometimes Brent will ride it from time to time (I ride a 149 and he rides a 154, and the Scope is a 152, so it's the perfect size for us to share it).

If we travel to other places, I like to take all 3 with us, just so we have a back up in case one breaks. We also try to keep an extra pair of bindings on hand after last year when we were 2 hours from home and his binding exploded halfway down a run. I had to buy him a new pair in the pro shop as his christmas gift so he could continue riding.
I killed Pat... again!
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 5:58pm
guess, in socal, all most people need is one smaller park type board...but when you go just a little farther north, into the sierra nevada mountains (and anywhere on the west coast above that), I don't think you'd realistically be able to get away with that for long.

even on low snow years, we get a lot of deep powder days that just eat park boards alive.  The past few years have been low, so I used both my boards about the same amount (50%). 

This year, when the snowfall was considered average (believe it or not), I only rode my park board 5 out of 24 days (24%)...no way I'm only shredding groomers when there's 1-2 feet+ pow on the sides and in the trees.

I usually know what the conditions are gonna be beforehand, but, every time I go, I have a 163 cm powder specific shape (not so specific that I can't do and all mountain and switch) and a 155 twin in the back of my pickup. If I had to, I could get away with doing everything on the pow board, so a big all mountain deck may be my future (acclimation would be out of the picture...but so would some flex/pop).

The pow board has rome targas, twin has 390s, just in case I need to borrow parts.  Aaand, contrary to popular belief, boards can also break or get damaged enough to make riding on it a bad idea... so I always have a back-up to keep me from having to drive home early.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 10:54pm
i only have two setups now, and i only ride at resorts. i'm not hella dope but i most likely do 50-50 park and all-mtn. i'm still trying to get comfortable spinning (just 1s and 3s) off kickers and lips so i bust out my shorter board for a few session til I get tired (I've bad back) than i go wit my other board (flat camber) which is longer and softer and over-all funner for pressing and buttering all over the mtn and park and pow. the shorter board its stiffer and has reg. camber, so not as fun (it doesn't mean it's not fun, i still have a great time on it) for all around the mtn and can't handle pow.  
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 10:58pm
I usually bring 1 board if it's a short trip.  Anything 2 days plus, i bring 2 boards and 1 pair of bindings.  1 board for powder and 1 for the packed snow.
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 11:04pm
So do people with multiple boards swap bindings between them all or have a set on each board?  I prefer the later.
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 11:10pm
i had a poll once on ss and it seemed about 50 50. some ppl only have one pair of bindings because they are comfy and don't like switching too much between different kinds. some ppl like different bindings to fit the flexibility on their specific boards. it doesnt take long to switch bindings. plus, if you travel... you should be tightening all the screws anyways after a plane ride.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2010 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by iGBH

So do people with multiple boards swap bindings between them all or have a set on each board?  I prefer the later.

M too lazy, I keep my burton on the burton, and the other on the other one. Though, every so often, I put the other binding on the burton. Never the burton on the other board though, did once and don't feel right. 
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 5:38pm
Targas are an overall stiffer performance/freeride binding and I have the straps configured for the most support, installed with the hardest c-flex inserts

On the other hand, 390s are flexier/freestyle and I have the straps configured to be the most forgiving they can (of course, no inserts came with these)

...I never switch them from their respective boards, because that would negate the point (but if one broke, it's nice to have the option)

kkruzcek View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Max and Koda

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 5:44pm
I've got 2 boards, but i never travel more than 2-3 hours to board so its always day trips. I typically just bring the board i feel like riding in the morning when i wake up. When i go on long term trips (more than 1 day) I just bring both boards with me cause you never know how you will feel on any given day. But I have a beat up old lamar board i use as my jib board because i am too nice to my new Flow Era i picked up this season and don't wanna break it .

p.s. Anyone else having weird errors, every time i post something it pops up saying "DOUBLE POSTING NOT PERMITTED" ...

How bout you let me post once sierra! that's all i waaaant.
DB2010 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 8:43am
I have three myself and I usually only bring two of them with me.  I don't have a couple of the same like a lot of people. I have one pretty flexible park board and two all-mountain boards.  Of the AM boards one is cambered and one reverse-cambered for variety.
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 8:53am
I have three boards right now + my fiance's which I take out if we get a big dump.  The only time I take more than one board is if it's a powder day --- I'll take the big Arbor 164 and my longest board (currently a Rome Pusher 56).  Otherwise I make a decision before I go.  I don't like going back to the car in the middle of my day.
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 9:39am
i have 3 boards and i only bring one if its a day trip. if its more than that ill bring two so i have more freedom to ride
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 10:24am
sometimes I switch with my friends for a day. It's a cheap way to demo. I really dont see myself needing more than 2 boards.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
JohnnyMcDildo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 10:35am
I live in SoCal too but make sure I have at least 2 setups; 1 straight playful board for straight park/jibbin and another one for all mountain / rare powder days, which we actually got a lot this past season!
They call me McD aka JohnnyMcDildo
Robnaldo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 10:47am
I only have 1 board right now, but could easily see myself holding onto 3.

A rock board, a powder board, all-mountain-freestyle board
tobs View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 10:52am
I usually decide the day before which one I am going to bring.  always tough decision.
Longboarderdude View Drop Down
Local
Local
boyne highlands

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:18pm
i usually just ride one
I make handmade longboards PM me for info.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:21pm
i agree, its not always easy
Chad S. View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:28pm
I thought I would use 2 boards but I decided I only need 1
xbrxx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:54pm
I have two boards, one park and the other all mountain.  Depending on the conditions i will bring either one, not both.
nthach View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yes, I know this is a kiddie box...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 12:59pm
As of now, I have 1 board - a 2006 Burton Custom. I'll be getting my Reverse Crew in a few weeks since I won one. I'll be putting Cartels on it. And if I decide to pick up a NS SL-R, I'll put the Cartels on that, and switch a pair of blue 05 Missions between the Custom and the Reverse Crew.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 1:24pm
The better a boarder you become, the more different types of riding you will do and you will find that you want a particular type of board for different conditions (pow, groomers, slush, park).

If I'm driving up, I usually take two boards with one set of bindings; one longer board and one shorter. I'll mount the bindings on the board that I think I'll be riding, but that could change depending on the actual conditions when I get there. Pow = longer, groomers/park = shorter. And now that I recently got a reverse camber board, that throws another board into the mix.

But a buddy of mine has a cabin at a resort that I go to most of the time and he lets me leave gear there, so I have three boards I leave up there (long/pow, med/AM, short/park) with another pair of bindings. Also very often an old beater board for a loaner or as a rock/rail board.

Man, I really sound like a gear hussy Ouch

No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
Buckshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2010 at 1:27pm
Only got 2Cry. Hero for the park & buttery fun, and custom x for tearing it up high speedSmile
Burton Custom X C02 EST '09 | Burton Hero ICS Infidel (Regs) '10
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12