Best Car for the Mountain

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 9>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
wengels View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote wengels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Car for the Mountain
    Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 6:51am
What do you guys think the best car for getting up and down the mountain is?
noobert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote noobert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 6:55am
whatever the car rental place gives me?  although, i do try to aim for an suv.
seyheeya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote seyheeya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 6:56am
Anything 4WD with snow tires for the winter! I have a Subaru WRX Sti... need to get snow tires for the upcoming winter though. I like the hatchback, I can fit in a lot of stuff even my dog and her kennel!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 6:58am
I believe everyone says a Subaru
wengels View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote wengels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 6:59am
maybe an Exterra?
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:01am
97% of the people that respond to this thread are going to tell you subaru.  There is an unbelievable amount of people on this site who are in love with Subaru and think it is the only car that can be driven in snow.

The Xterra is a good choice.  Personally I have an Avalanche and it is the perfect vehicle for getting me to the mountain.

www.chargeharder.com
baf6722 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote baf6722 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:01am
Subaru's are amazing in the snow. I personally have a legacy right now and I've never had any problems driving around in snow. If you live in an area that see lots of real snowfall I think Subaru's can't be beat.
bmcmahan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote bmcmahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:05am
My Nissan Murano has never let me down. It takes a beating and just keeps going.
Even his enemy’s list him as there emergency contact.

deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:13am
Infiniti G35x Sedan

2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
psyccologicc View Drop Down
Local
Local
View of Lake Tahoe from Homewood

Quote psyccologicc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:14am
Usually borrow my girlfriend's mom's AWD Honda CR-V. Works like a champ!
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:16am
my little Outback worked great everywhere.  An ARB locker in the rear end would be sick, might be a project this summer. 
-zakk

supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote supcadence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:17am
LOL i drive my g35 coupe.

though, realistically, 4wd gives u a pretty good advantage, half the times you can get by w/o chains
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:18am
If you have 2 big dogs and lots of people an expedition is best.  I love mine in deep snow.
flipguy80 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote flipguy80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:18am
Another subaru here. Definitely need to get winter tires for my WRX too
IrishRugby04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote IrishRugby04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:23am
I just roll up there in my 2000 civic coupe. It works but I'd rather have a Subaru or an SUV.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:27am
basically any 4wd/awd car/wagon/suv/truck with all-season M+S tires or snow tires will do. the 4wd/awd will help with traction in the snow and help you avoid putting on snow chains/cables when everyone else has to stop. just figure in space for passengers and luggage and equipment which probably narrows down to suvs and wagons (no trucks because the backseats are too uncomfortable for long drives to the mountain and no sedans because there's usually less cargo space).

i drive an acura mdx wich comfortably sits 5 passengers with enough cargo space in the back for luggage and equipment. and a roof rack for boards. awd is standard on the mdx.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:29am
Guaranteed success in getting to the mountain.

BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:30am
Please get the unimog shaka!
www.chargeharder.com
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Quote Nachitox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:35am
The Honda CR-V has plenty of room for travelling.
Maybe i go to the resort with my friend's CR-V this July.

But any 4x4 would be great :)

Two years ago i went on a Clio :P
Argentinian rider!
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Quote dnbreaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:45am
My CR-V is great for driving up to the mountain. It is AWD and not 4WD and the AWD system on Honday is not the best. Having said that, I've never had a problem and I've never had to put on chains. The thing my friend's love about the CR-V is how roomy and comfortable it is and it still gets pretty good gas mileage for the 400 mile (each way) trip to Mammoth.
NoYaDe233 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NoYaDe233 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:46am

no car can compensate for some of the terrible drivers on the road. bad enough on a nice sunny day but add some snow and all bets are off. i dont think my 2010 tsx is qualified for best car but it gets the job done. 

hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Quote hisnameisdre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:49am
I don't think the car matters much...as long as you have decent tires and know how to drive in the snow.  I say that because I've had a Scion Xb for many years now and have never had a problem getting anywhere with it.

Of course 4WD or AWD does make it easier.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:49am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Please get the unimog shaka!

Found another one for sale!

http://classicunimogs.com/unimog_1300-2doka.html
monkeysnacks View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote monkeysnacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:53am
Originally posted by lightning80

basically any 4wd/awd car/wagon/suv/truck with all-season M+S tires or snow tires will do. the 4wd/awd will help with traction in the snow and help you avoid putting on snow chains/cables when everyone else has to stop. just figure in space for passengers and luggage and equipment which probably narrows down to suvs and wagons (no trucks because the backseats are too uncomfortable for long drives to the mountain and no sedans because there's usually less cargo space).

i drive an acura mdx wich comfortably sits 5 passengers with enough cargo space in the back for luggage and equipment. and a roof rack for boards. awd is standard on the mdx.

I second this. If you have AWD/4WD and you can afford an extra set of tires, I strongly suggest investing in the snow tires or the M+S (mud+snow) tires because having to put on chains or cables really sucks. Just be sure to take off the snow tires when the season is over (or when you are not driving to the mountain) because you don't want to wear out the treads with city driving.

Plus, something with seat warmers is nice too, but not a necessity.
rodal126 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
totem pole

Quote rodal126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:54am
I'm driving a Subaru Legacy.  The AWD helps in getting traction to get moving, but not to mistaken it in helping you stop.
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:55am
I see a bunch of Outbacks on my way to the snow. It's basically a lowered SUV.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
letourneau41 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Good Day In The Backcountry

Quote letourneau41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 7:59am
I have a 4Runner and live in Colorado and have never had a problem getting to the lifts
rodal126 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
totem pole

Quote rodal126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:01am
Originally posted by solocreep

I see a bunch of Outbacks on my way to the snow. It's basically a lowered SUV.

Or a lifted car.
BananaMonster View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote BananaMonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:02am
4wd suv's handle nice, the extra ground clearance helps in the deep snow.

I believe driver skill is more important than anything.

Dont trip chocolate chip!
heisenbise View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote heisenbise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:04am
I can tell you one thing, it's not the Chrysler Town & Country the rental place gave me when I went to Breckenridge.  Ended up with me and two of my buddies pushing that thing about a mile up the mountain on I-70 back into Denver.  That sucked big time.

Exterra is great if you love getting miserable gas mileage for a car that isn't that fast, isn't that powerful, and isn't that awesome.  Subaru's seem to do the trick, just not a big fan of the styling.  I would think any 4WD/AWD vehicle would be fine.  Especially that Unimog Shaka just posted, that's awesome.

I'm thinking about picking up an Avalanche for next winter.  My 2WD Tacoma definitely gets the job done in the desert, not so much in the snow.

RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:12am
I was in my friend's FX35 with traction control and snow setting on and chains. That took us up Mt Baldy in snowy conditions safely. We saw a lot of cars and trucks on the side having a lot of problems.

Also, was in a 4x4 tacoma in Mammoth...the tail was always slipping out, but my friend was having a blast driving it in the snow.   
Did you google it?
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:20am
I love my Avalanche, but truthfully any car with decent tires on it and enough ground clearance for the snow conditions will make it just fine.  I drove a Dodge Stratus with snow tires on it for several seasons before getting a truck and never got stuck.  
CLEE1013 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CLEE1013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:22am
I take my Lamborghini Reventon, It's the best car to take it to the mountain..
krazykorean35 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote krazykorean35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:23am
jeep xj hasnt failed me yet. mpg in it isnt really something to brag about though unfortunately.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:31am
Originally posted by CLEE1013

I take my Lamborghini Reventon, It's the best car to take it to the mountain..

Jon Olsson's LP670 with a ski rack on it.  He is a skier, and yes, he really does take it to the mountain.

Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gester87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:33am
Nothing like a 4WD SUV to handle the road up to tahoe, even on snowy days we get waved through the chain stops.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:37am
I had a subaru and then upgraded to a minivan. It works just fine getting to the mountain. It's 2WD and works fine. The family stickers on the back really help the climbing skills.
I say drive whatever's comfortable and gets you up the hill.
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Quote MiguelMas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:42am

Upgraded to a minivan?

That is the first time I have ever heard that one.........
The Chez View Drop Down
Local
Local
Graffiti in Barçelona

Quote The Chez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by wengels

What do you guys think the best car for getting up and down the mountain is?
Any Audi with quattro. An A5 would be sweet but it would be nice to roll up in an RS8 if they make an AWD.
I have a great sense of humour. I'm also entitled.
The Chez View Drop Down
Local
Local
Graffiti in Barçelona

Quote The Chez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by MiguelMas

Upgraded to a minivan?

Hey Migs, moms need love too!
I have a great sense of humour. I'm also entitled.
aguninc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote aguninc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:46am
honda crv... never gets stuck and gas friendly
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NGremlin! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:46am
Originally posted by hisnameisdre

I don't think the car matters much...as long as you have decent tires and know how to drive in the snow.  I say that because I've had a Scion Xb for many years now and have never had a problem getting anywhere with it.

Of course 4WD or AWD does make it easier.

Ha ha! Me too. I have a Scion xB and I've taken it to places that don't require chain control. It's basically a brick on wheels, but it's got enough room to hold my gear. Only problem is that it hates to go uphill. 

If I go someplace snowy or icy, I'll borrow an Acura MDX with AWD and M+S tires. It's HUGE. It's got 2 rows of back seats, so if you aren't carrying anything inside (roof rack), you can ride 8 people. If you are carrying gear inside, you can take between 1 and 4 people (with one half of a back seat down for long stuff like boards or skis.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by The Chez

Originally posted by MiguelMas

Upgraded to a minivan?

Hey Migs, moms need love too!

I love my minivann. I had one when I was 15-25. Think of a better car to go through your adolesence with. You can legally hold 8 people, more if you want to. You can take it pretty much anywhere with a huge pack of friends.
When I had kids, it was a logical step. I'm just going to be selling it before my kids turn 15. Don't want to give them the easy opportunities I had as a kid.
wengels View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote wengels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:49am
i like the lambo idea!
sonystyle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sonystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 8:50am
i took my old g35 coupe up before... horrible idea.

nowwadays my gf and i roll up with the fx35. couldn't be happier... though the girl does need new shoes... they're gettin a bit bald.
2010 T.Rice / 2009 X8
SadRedPanda View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SadRedPanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:14am
i would have to say any vehicle with AWD, Snow Tires, and room for your stuff and possibly friends. i like subarus tho
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Timmay_650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:16am
I would vote this one if we are talking about the best.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:22am
^^^^^ awesome.

I got a subaru legacy and have never had any trouble getting up or down a mountian.  but pretty much what everyone is saying, if you got 4/AWD and decent tires, youll be fine.
jkats View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jkats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:29am
wrx wagon - chains never needed!
vanango View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vanango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2010 at 9:34am
holy crap
I didn't know there was a difference between AWD & 4WD. Thanks for the people that pointed that out.

(http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/difference_4WD_awd.html if you are interested)

AWD/4WD will get you up the hill
but good tires is what keeps you on the road and provides the traction to slow you down or stop.

Yes, driving skill is important, but if you are barreling down a mountain on bald tires -- regardless of what car you're driving, you're going to slide around.

--

I've driven a lot in the snow and in the mountains:
Mercedes M & S class (suv/sedan)
Subaru Legacy (sedan)
Honda Civic & CRV (sedan & coupe/suv)
Nissan Murano (suv)
Mercury Sable (sedan)
Mitsubishi Expo (van-wagon thingy)

and yes, 4wd cars can help a ton on the ice and some cars were more comfortable than others (4 people + 4 snowboards in a sedan? holy crap) but stopping was all about the tires.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>