Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progression as a rider, whats next-
    Posted: May/02/2010 at 1:36am
Hi guys, I've been snowboarding for a couple years now and I've gotten to that stage where I want to focus on my riding more and improving tricks and such.

I'm a goofy rider and I must say I prefer reverse camber boards because they are generally more fun to ride and the extra "POP" off jumps!

I'm naturally a goofy, but I don't mind normal stance either. However, it's just the toe side of the normal stance which I find still a bit uncomfortable. When I first learnt goofy, I got the balance of it real quick and I just knew I was a goofY :D 

The main problem for me is that when I land FS 180's and after landing, switching to toe side regular feels really awkward for me.. 

I feel though as if I haven't spent enough time getting used to the toe side edge of my normal stance. 

I'm just wondering if people master their carves on both regular & goofy before progressing onto harder tricks?

Thanks
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 1:46am
That's the general line of progression I think. I'm really gonna try hard to at least ride switch every first 1 hour in the morning session next season. I'm a goofy rider too and I'm completely bad riding fakie.

You start to make sure you are comfortable riding most terrains and doing jumps off small kickers. Once you progress that far it's time to learn to ride switch. I think that's what most people's advice going to be. Unless you want to be one of those riders who always landed trick goofy or switch to goofy as soon as they landed.
snowboard_ski View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
myphoto

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 1:51am
snowboard_ski View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
myphoto

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 1:57am
Before trying BS/FS 180 or better, you might want to master riding switch first.  You might also want true twin board such as Lib-tech Skate Banana, Buton Hero, Bataleon Evi Twin...etc.  They will make your life a lot easier riding switch.
Magicweed3 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 1:58am
Just start riding switch early on.  The older you get, and the more experience you have riding normally, the harder it is to push yourself to get better riding switch.  That and your body naturally will want to go back to the direction you're most comfortable with.
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2010 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Magicweed3

Just start riding switch early on.  The older you get, and the more experience you have riding normally, the harder it is to push yourself to get better riding switch.  That and your body naturally will want to go back to the direction you're most comfortable with.

Sadly I was too late for this. I'm a goofy rider and whenever riding regular and I'm on the heel side my board just completely turned because my body just want to switch to goofy again. Re-learning ain't fun either I kept catching edge far too many times because everything doesn't feel natural anymore.
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2010 at 1:17am
Okay I'll take your advice and work on my regular stance riding.. I know I can do it with careful balance but its just that you always go back to your old habits. 

Yep I got a lib tech banana 152 that I started riding reverse camber with and its great. Love the board. Recently got a sierra 151 crew reverse which I'm going to try out in July too.

Cheers
cpmooney View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:59am
defintely somthing i need to work on, just got to get used to the idea that im gonna fall over a lot again
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:02am
This thread convince me that i need to learn switch riding.
I will do what Attrox said: 1 hour of switch riding every day.

Then, tricks will be easier to land :)
Argentinian rider!
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:05am
I just really learned to ride switch this winter, what actually helped me was teaching my gf to board. She's goofy and I ride regular so I tried switch to give her a visual on how her turns should look. Plus while she was going slow I would be riding switch whereas I would have gotten really bored otherwise.

Once she started getting good I'd try to follow her and mimic her turns, which helped because I had to turn when she did not when I wanted to so I couldn't lean on any crutches. Now I'm way more comfortable and 180s are definitely easier.
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:06am
I'm goofy as-well and i've only started boarding over easter. at found it really hard to get into it, I'm a pretty good skier but i was terrible learning to ride. i finally got sorta the hang of things but i still found it really difficult to ride switch. looking forward to september tho because from then on, my university takes us to a huge indoor snow dome with real proper snow, twice a month so i cant wait.
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:02am
Originally posted by snowboard_ski

Before trying BS/FS 180 or better, you might want to master riding switch first.  You might also want true twin board such as Lib-tech Skate Banana, Buton Hero, Bataleon Evi Twin...etc.  They will make your life a lot easier riding switch.

I have a true twin... its still hard to get used to lol!!! but you need to learn at some point.  I have noticed since i've widdened my stance a little bit from 21"-23" and im 6'2" that with a wider stance its harder to link turns consistantly.
Capita Stairmaster 159, k2 auto-uprise R- +15/-12, Ride Jackson boots
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:12am
haha i agree with broys, get a gf new to snowboarding and you'll be forced to learn switch to avoid being stupid bored (buttering also helps remedie this). This is how I learned, and switch riding definately up'd my style. So important.

Also, if you're starting to learn tricks, jump off of everything! Using little side hits and cat tracks on the groomers help you learn how to keep it together in the air.
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 4:02am
Haha my gf is confused as to whether she is regular or goofy :( I am still in the process of her learning her S turns. But someday hopefully... she'll get it and enjoy it as much as I do :D

Still 2 months till I go so I'm pretty pumpedd!
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 7:58am
Originally posted by McNack

haha i agree with broys, get a gf new to snowboarding and you'll be forced to learn switch to avoid being stupid bored (buttering also helps remedie this). This is how I learned, and switch riding definately up'd my style. So important.

Also, if you're starting to learn tricks, jump off of everything! Using little side hits and cat tracks on the groomers help you learn how to keep it together in the air.

damn this option is out for me...unless if I turn lesbian Tongue  I guess you can go up with a bunch of new people and while they're learning their falling leaf you can ride switch with them.

Next season I'm going to designate a day on the weekend each week where I'll have to ride switch the whole time.  I've gotten almost comfortable going down the blues switch...I just need to get rid of the awkward feeling like i'm going backwards or something.
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 9:21am
Yeah... I hate that awkward feeling of riding switch... I'll be dedicating most of my riding next season to learning switch and being comfortable going down any terrain.  This will help with landing switch.
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 10:39am
i just try to go on the easy slopes with my gf and ride switch with her.
Capita Stairmaster 159, k2 auto-uprise R- +15/-12, Ride Jackson boots
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 10:40am
Just practice man, you'll get better.
rodal126 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
totem pole

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 10:45am
riding with new people is how I got my switch down.  while their learning the basics you can also make them feel comfortable by learning switch while riding with them.
bearsknox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 10:54am
how long will it take to learn riding switch? its something i really wana learn but how long will it take?
Gobears!
chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 10:56am
^^^ How long did it take for you to learn regular?

Well, I wouldnt say you have to master switch to progress, but at least be able to ride out a landing switch or be able to revert back to goofy comfortably. Then, the more you do tricks and the more you are forced to ride out switch, your switch riding will naturally progress along with your tricks.

This will work until you move on up to throwing tricks in switch, in that case you'd pretty much have to master it.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 11:50am
Originally posted by bearsknox

how long will it take to learn riding switch? its something i really wana learn but how long will it take?

it didn't take me too long to do it...it still feels really awkward and last time I was switch riding on a steeper slope I got myself motion sickness LOL (I guess my body and brain were confused I was doing something it wasn't used to).

You already know how to ride one way so it's not like relearning how to board all over again.
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by hana24

damn this option is out for me...unless if I turn lesbian Tongue  I guess you can go up with a bunch of new people and while they're learning their falling leaf you can ride switch with them.

Next season I'm going to designate a day on the weekend each week where I'll have to ride switch the whole time.  I've gotten almost comfortable going down the blues switch...I just need to get rid of the awkward feeling like i'm going backwards or something.

If I'm not mistaken you're a regular at Mt. High right?
I can ride switch at the beginner's area at the top of East. But I always freaked out trying to go down east or even lower chisolm for that matter. It's always riding switch for like 30 seconds and then screw this, I switched to my normal stance and bomb down LOL
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 3:42am
^^ switch is gonna help in the park. i suck at it though haha. i think ima do that 1 hour sesh switch in bunnies every morning.
stehoul199 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 3:56am
yeah i just started riding switch this season. I finally have it down but it took some time and a lot of falls. It makes the park a lot more fun though
elnino View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 9:10am
go with some less experienced people and dedicate a day to learning switch. you will be suprised what one day can do
youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2010 at 9:13am
once you could rip the whole mountain, you ahve to start all over riding switch. you dont have to come down black diamonds riding switch but you should have no problem riding down blues and carving in switch. only after that, you should do some sick bs 180s. 
moku26 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
shreeeed

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 9:21am
it is really good to learn how to switch ride. ive been riding 10 years plus and see myself as a comfortable switch rider.. ehh i thought so until i tried to land 540s. riding switch is one thing, but trying to land on switch off big jump is tough. whole lot harder than i have expected. i guess my suggestion to you is.. practice practice practice. experience is the only way. keep on practicing your 180s. it will all come to you it's matter of time
mo ku
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Attrox

Originally posted by hana24

If I'm not mistaken you're a regular at Mt. High right?
I can ride switch at the beginner's area at the top of East. But I always freaked out trying to go down east or even lower chisolm for that matter. It's always riding switch for like 30 seconds and then screw this, I switched to my normal stance and bomb down LOL

Yup...I go to Mt High on the weekends if I'm not away at another mountain.  I got like 30days this season at Mt High. 
jivehoneyjive View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:32pm
Dedicate as much time as possible to riding switch- its scary at 1st and takes a while to get used to; I forced myself to ride switch for 4 days in a row and it became pretty natural; now, with mucho extra practice can switch all but the gnarliest moguls and pull 540s with minimal wince.
 Post Reply Post Reply