Quick Login: Forgot password?

Topic ClosedColorado Auto Registration is CRIMINAL

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colorado Auto Registration is CRIMINAL
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:04am
Yeah, so apparently in order to register/get plates on a new car in Colorado you have to pay approx 2.6% of the MSRP of the car you purchased.

In my case $27,500 it was $702 to get my registration/plates this morning.

Apparently, for all the following years of renewal, that number goes down - but only by approx 10-12% so next year when I take my car in for new tags it will be approx $600.  This is a crime, in Pennsylvania its $190 when you buy the car, and then $36 to renew every year.

I hope there's some fancy tax nonsense I can do at the end of the year to get some of this back.  Effing ridiculous.

Is any state more expensive than this?

EDIT: Normally, you get a credit when you trade a car in (i.e - $12000 trade in value on my subaru would have made the MSRP $15,500 thus lowering my fee, however since i had pennsylvania tags, I can't get credit)
I'm just here for the titties
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:07am
Do you also pay a personal property tax on your vehicle?
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:09am
Originally posted by Phatman

Do you also pay a personal property tax on your vehicle?

Honestly couldn't tell you, maybe someone else can chime in.  I did pay the 8% sales tax though. MotherFU*!ERS
Stass View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

LOLThe UK is cheaper 

Just saying Wink
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Agreed, we definately get the shaft when it comes to registration fees but that seems higher than it used to be.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:10am
toronto, moose country is close to 200ish depending on how many years you renew it for. but l believe these are new policies to try to make us more "environmentally friendly". but l know where your coming from saying how expensive it is and all. L think you should check if hybrid cars are the same or low.
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:11am
Ouch. To register my 05 Legacy was $92 and
my 08 Impreza was $94 in the glorious state of Warshington.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:12am
Originally posted by CoMtnRider

Agreed, we definately get the shaft when it comes to registration fees but that seems higher than it used to be.

Taxes going up isn't exactly surprising. 
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:13am
Wow. Indiana is quite a bit cheaper than that. I think I paid $120 for mine this year (3rd year I've liscensed this car).
I killed Pat... again!
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:15am
Originally posted by keljai

l dont know if this is a glitch or what not, but when l type moose country it shows up as moose country ^^

Filters. It's by design.
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:16am
C a n a d a is filtered to moose country.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:16am
Matt just be lucky you didn't buy your vehicle out of state like I did.  Your tax was included in your purchase price.  I had to pay mine out of pocket.  It was $1500 to register my truck last year.
www.chargeharder.com
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:19am
x 50 matt, It's insane out here. It was like $70 a year in Ill and Pa was also cheap - even with required instpections..

However, to balance it out, pretty much EVERYTHING else is ridiculously cheap when compared with Chi/Philly.. Gas, food, the list goes on.

Chi has 10.25% sales tax. It's very difficult to top that. I was in Chi last week:
Gas = $3.49
Denver gas = $2.69
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:20am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Matt just be lucky you didn't buy your vehicle out of state like I did.  Your tax was included in your purchase price.  I had to pay mine out of pocket.  It was $1500 to register my truck last year.

It's effing ridiculous.  I'm doing the math and seeing about registering my car in PA next year.  I'm sure they will tax the crap out of me for purchasing it out of state, so it'll likely be $600 either way, but the $36 a year after might be worth it.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:20am
So from what I gather that just includes your Personal Property Tax rather than you getting a seperate bill for it.

I think I pay about 80 bucks for my plates on my 5 year old Pilot but then I get a seperate personal property tax bill for another 700 something.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:21am
Oh, let me give credit where credit is due.  I don't have to do emissions for 5 years, so that will save me $400 over 5 years.  Still not even close to enough to feel good about though.
pepitojones View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:23am
I had to pay $366 for my 06 that was purchased in VA when I registered it last year.  It should be a lot lower when I renew this year, though.
Nobody touches the Shaqtus.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:23am

So from what I gather that just includes your Personal Property Tax rather than you getting a seperate bill for it.

I think I pay about 80 bucks for my plates on my 5 year old Pilot but then I get a seperate personal property tax bill for another 700 something.

Sounds like your state sucks ass too.  Like I said. PA = $190 at purchase, $36 a year after. That's it.
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:26am
Look matt, you could still be in PA and be that kid that they tazed at the Phillies game last night..
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:28am
It was like that in Washington until about 10 years ago when we passed a law saying it's going to be a flat fee of $30 (which it never is).  I think I ended up paying $55 for a 2005 Tacoma and about $100 for a Subaru. 
I am not sure how the $30 flat fee is within that amount, but I'm not complaining.  It's better than $700+ that I would've had to pay before.  Glad I was living in Oregon when it was so astronomically priced... well that and I drove junkers.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:32am
Originally posted by mattaleao

Sounds like your state sucks ass too.  Like I said. PA = $190 at purchase, $36 a year after. That's it.
So PA doesn't have personal Property tax? Win for them.

Generally when it comes to taxes CT does pretty much suck ass. Growing up in FL, the only state tax I used to pay was sales tax and property tax, that was sweet. Then I move to CT and have to file a state income tax return, personal property taxes, etc. SUCK
BobzoR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

its because you live in the middle of nowhere, the government needs to make money from something!
xxsweet_jen24xx View Drop Down
Local
Local

We don't pay personal property tax on cars in Indiana unless that is included when we purchase our registration, but if it is, it must be fairly cheap.

I forgot to mention that my tag's also cost me $20 more because I get "Support Our Troops" plates (the $20 goes to the Indiana National Guard). I get them because I do like to support my troops, and because those plates look much nicer on my car than the god awful "In God We Trust" plates that Indiana has now.
I killed Pat... again!
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:39am
Yeah, pat. Never heard of a personal property tax.  Sounds like some Popped collar/board short/boat shoe/visor hat law.
rzero View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:41am
It's not as bad as some states, although I did go with a buddy to register a Continental GT and that ended up costing 18k for tags.

I paid $98 for the ole honda

mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:42am
Originally posted by rzero

It's not as bad as some states

I'm still waiting to see someone post about a state being worse.  Connecticut sounds pretty close.  You paid $98 because your car is old.  My point is that the next 4-5 years is going to cost me approx $4000 in renewal fees
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:43am
Originally posted by BobzoR

its because you live in the middle of nowhere, the government needs to make money from something!
Denver is the middle of nowhere?  It only has about 3 million people living in the greater Denver metro area.......
www.chargeharder.com
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:47am
Apparently the registration fee is 100% tax deductible according to my boss, so maybe ill get some/all of it back next year.  We shall see.
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:52am
Yup Colorado can be harsh... they call it the "ownership tax" or some crap the lady told me, instead of registration tax.  You can indeed deduct the registration fee I believe for the first year at least, which works out well.   If you live in Denver the registration fee is slightly higher than the burbs generally.   I'm coming up on the renewal for my truck next month, and this is year three, so I imagine it's probably around $500 or so for the plates.  It's really kind of sad because our roads (Denver, Littleton, Highlands Ranch etc) really kind of suck, so you have to wonder what the hell they do with that money.    

EDIT:  

Specific Ownership Taxes
  • These taxes are based on the year of manufacture of the vehicle and the original taxable value which is determined when the vehicle is new and does not change throughout the life of the vehicle.
  • Ownership tax is in lieu of personal property tax. Vehicles do not need to be operated in order to be assessed this tax.
  • The ownership tax rate is assessed on the original taxable value and year of service
    • Original taxable value is 85% of manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP). 
    • The annual specific ownership tax is based on the year of service.
Here it's December everyday.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:56am

I am going to say Denver is in the Middle of everywhere.  I am cannot even count the number of times I have connected through DEN on the way to the east coast.
started by flossers making floss for flossers
evl4fun View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:57am
Nebraska pretty much sucks with this too. 17k truck=1200 plates, 2k truck=400plates, we have sales tax, property tax, wheel tax, road use tax, plate fee's on and on and on. The funny part is the road use tax, spose to help pay for fixing the roads.....HA!! The roads here suck, they should pay me to drive on 'em lol....or at least cover the cost of shocks and alignments
Fear is the mind killer
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:00am
Originally posted by rook

I am going to say Denver is in the Middle of everywhere.  I am cannot even count the number of times I have connected through DEN on the way to the east coast.

The Denver International Airport is NOT in Denver, in fact, it's about 20 minutes or so from Denver at least depending on traffic etc.   ;-)
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:04am
Canadian prairies here...2004 Elantra costs $1300/year for plates. I get a 10% discount for having no accidents or tickets in the last 5 years. Cost does not decrease over time (until the vehicle is 30 years old then I can register it as a classic - as if vehicles now last that long!)
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:06am

Apparently the registration fee is 100% tax deductible according to my boss, so maybe ill get some/all of it back next year.  We shall see.
This is where CT sucks worse then CO(in this case) regardless of the amount you pay in Personal Property and Property Tax, you only get a maximum of a 500 dollar credit on your state income tax.

it's 100% deductible on your federal income taxes, but thats only if you itemize your deductions.
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:08am

It's effing ridiculous.  I'm doing the math and seeing about registering my car in PA next year.  I'm sure they will tax the crap out of me for purchasing it out of state, so it'll likely be $600 either way, but the $36 a year after might be worth it.

Be careful with this, especially if you have a CO Drivers license.  If you get pulled over, from experience, they kind of get pissy about your tags being out of state, but your drivers license is from CO.   I kept my out of state license and tags for two years, before finally registering locally.  Kind of wish I still had the $89 registration instead of the $500 or so it's gonna be this year.. blah!
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:12am
Nope, still have a PA license and I will for another 3 years.
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:13am

Nope, still have a PA license and I will for another 3 years.

Ahh nice! Now with CO plates don't get pulled over LOL...  You're supposed to change it out within 30 days.  Bunch of BS really... 
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:15am
I was going to but didn't have my passport on me at the time, so that will be my excuse if i get pulled over "i tried but my license doesn't have my middle name on it, so the DMV said I need another form of government ID - I'm waiting on my parents to ship me my passport"
gonffen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:25am
Originally posted by comclovin

Be careful with this, especially if you have a CO Drivers license.  If you get pulled over, from experience, they kind of get pissy about your tags being out of state, but your drivers license is from CO.   I kept my out of state license and tags for two years, before finally registering locally.  Kind of wish I still had the $89 registration instead of the $500 or so it's gonna be this year.. blah!

They get pissy because it's not exactly legal. In PA you have 30 or 60 days(I don't remember which) to notify PennDOT that you have moved even if you're in the same county.
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 7:34am
Originally posted by gonffen

They get pissy because it's not exactly legal. In PA you have 30 or 60 days(I don't remember which) to notify PennDOT that you have moved even if you're in the same county.

Obviously it's not legal to circumvent a states laws ;-) 
taiguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
no insta-death

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 8:51pm
yea dude. huge surprise to me too when I had to register mine. coming from VA where registration was something like a flat $25 paying $400+ on an Accord is silly.

You would think it goes to the upkeep of the roads.

Then you drive I-70 at night and realize none of the lane markers are visible on half of it. shitty.
Bowls View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:09pm
honestly you guys get it cheaper than us...

In Queensland, Australia you pay according to how many cylinders your car has...

4 Cyl = $648
6 Cyl = $801
8 Cyl = $967

not sure  for 10 Cyl and up... but still... thats a total bending over... if you want to pay 6 monthly theres an extra $40 or so each time...

and dont get me started on insurance which i recommend BYO lube...

VNlilMAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:17pm
cali had it pretty badd a few years ago. i think i pad $400-500 on my civic.
Now i think i paid between 100-200.
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:24pm

Yeah, so apparently in order to register/get plates on a new car in Colorado you have to pay approx 2.6% of the MSRP of the car you purchased.

thats nasty since most cars sell well below msrp.
Bowls View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 11:32pm

totally missed this... how can it work out more expensive to justify plates and such costing more because your decided to splurge on a bugatti rather getting getting some chinese car on the cheap... i guess it works on the fact if you can afford that much you can afford to pay 2.6% more...

also agree with above.. should only be what you pay in the end.. if you score a deal then you shouldnt be slogged with MSRP costs for rego.

gmogi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The champion makes his own luck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 11:39pm
Man that is insane you have to pay that much. I have a friend that is going to move to Colorado later this month, got to tell him that he is going to pay a lot of money to get his new tags.

Does anyone know why it is so high in Colorado? I know in California it isn't that expensive, probably a couple of hundred.

Lift Op since 12/09 | Ski Bum since 04/10
xxa1z4n3xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 2:44am
thats alot of moola! crazy..
gody View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 3:19am

In my state in Australia (New South Wales) we pay,

10% goods and services tax (GST) on the car purchase (Included in the price, but still paid to the Commonwealth Government)

then

Stamp duty to the State Government (For the total price including GST), on top of all the other taxes, of

3% on total price for new cars,

and

2% on used cars, each and every time it sells to a new owner

Plus whatever registration and transfer fees.

Expensive business buying a car, that’s all I can say.

jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 3:27am
I feel your pain on that one. Then just when you get over it, the damn excise tax is on its way and it's another $300 something
NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 6:08am
I had to pay the same kind of registration in Nevada when I lived there and got a new car.  I ended up paying just over $900 the first time and then each year it would have went down a little. I moved before I got to find out how much year 2 would have been.

However, I got screwed when I can back to Illinois. I leased my car in Nevada and the tax was wrapped into the payment for an extra $50 each month. Well Illinois being the greedy tax the hell out of you state that they are won't let you pay the tax monthly. I had to pay the entire tax bill before I could register the car. So $1200+ in taxes then like $99 for the plates.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>