Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Direct TV or Cable - Which should I get
    Posted: May/04/2010 at 2:56pm
I'm trying to figure out which option would be best.  However, I have no experience with Direct TV, so I'm asking for your input.  Currently, my cable+internet is about $80.  If I switch to Direct TV, I can lower that by $20.  Of course, this is if I were to be able to have Direct TV for only 12 months.  Of course, is not possible because Direct TV requires a 2-year agreement.  I've heard many stories about cancellation prices and all that.  Some of them are pretty bad horror stories while some are pretty mellow.  I've been told and also read that the cancellation fee is equal to the amount of months that I would have paid if I kept the service.  Is this true?  Also, are there any other fees?  I've read the Customer Agreement, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Reasons for considering Direct TV: more and better channels than my current cable service.  cheaper, in theory, if the cancellation fee isn't too high.

The reason why I would want to cancel after 12 months is because I am not sure where or what I will be doing after my last year of college.

Thoughts?

Also, if you're going to just tell me what you like best, then GTFO please.  I'm not asking that question.

Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:07pm
i would do direct tv and i learned how to work the system.

if you live in an area with lots of trees (me in tahoe) or in an apartment that is north facing (me in sacramento) you can not have direct tv.

here is the trick:
In my investigation, if you move in the middle of your 2 year contract, direct tv will gladly transfer your service.
If you move to a new home that does not allow direct tv (apartment, forest, etc). then they will gladly cancel your contract for free.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:19pm
iiiiinteresting.  i have no idea where i'd be moving to though.  it could be somewhere for an internship, maybe a job, maybe my parents' house.

although if i were to move to an apartment...

SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:24pm
I had direct tv but the rates kept going up so I switched to ATT U-verse for phone, internet and tv, much cheaper and no commitment.
play young stay young!
Eyedolon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My view

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:25pm
We were comcast for years (comcrap cable!) and moved into the city, got a deal for directTV. Parents got a better deal a month ago from Comcast and switched back... for a day. Couldn't stand it. The UI on DirectTV is amazing. Like Mx2 said, if you can work the system to fit your needs, DirectTV is worlds better then cable. You could always try calling them and seeing what they can do for you - a lot of the companies in that vein are able to do some *remarkable* things to get new customers.

One is left to wonder how much nicer our world would be if they just did those cool things at all times.

When I do good I am never remembered. When I do bad I am never forgotten.
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:26pm
i can't get AT&T U-verse or Verizon FiOS where i live.

Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by craigalicious

iiiiinteresting.  i have no idea where i'd be moving to though.  it could be somewhere for an internship, maybe a job, maybe my parents' house.

my advice is...down the road if you need to cancel your contract, just tell direct you are moving somewhere where you can not continue service

1. North facing
2. room mate already has direct tv
3. forest

the system can be worked
nthach View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Yes, I know this is a kiddie box...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:37pm
IMO, my mom was able to weasel our way out from being raped by Comcast a few times. We've been paying $20 for our Internet connection for 3 years. We just need to call in to knock down the TV part.

If it was up to me, I would go to U-Verse. But Comcast is in the middle of tweaking their pricing structure a bit - they supposedly got rid of the additional outlet charge, instead charging you for each additional box/DVR instead of getting you with the additional outlet fee and box rental fee(and the HD fee), as well as rolling out a digital economy tier that sits between limited basic and Digital Starter.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Mike.M

my advice is...down the road if you need to cancel your contract, just tell direct you are moving somewhere where you can not continue service

1. North facing
2. room mate already has direct tv
3. forest

the system can be worked

it can be worked, but i'm not sure if i want to risk paying a lot of money if i can't work it.  do they confirm that you actually can't continue service before accepting that?

SunFish View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:08pm
Have you tried calling Direct TV and talk to a real person and tell them you will be moving in a year and see if they can just set you up with a 1 yr contract? They will do things if they think they can get your money, even for a year. I've had Direct for 15 yrs, but never had to cancel it. But they do keep raising the prices, but then everything keeps going up too.
''Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional''..............          +18/-12 degrees goofy . Burton Hero 152 and Triad EST,    Burton Dominant 146 and P1.1
Razkul99 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Board Loiter...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:11pm

After having both, DirecTV is the clear winner over cable for everything except internet.  My experience also suggests that both are pretty easy to terminate a contract with, should a need arise.

Shake and bake...
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 6:14pm
Depends on your area and how much you wanna.
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:05pm
I heard if you have multiple rooms, just ask for extra set of the DirectTV receivers installed. Then you can get that receiver over to another house and as long as you have the satellite dish install, you will be able to pick up the receiver. You can share the costs and have receptions on 2 houses.

Disclaimer: That's what I heard from someone. I didn't do this (I have cable). Stealing satellite broadcast is illegal so I don't recommend it.

jeffalmonte89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:07pm
Personally, I like cable internet, and directtv for tv. If you can, try to get that combination. It'll be the best of both worlds Tongue
gmogi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The champion makes his own luck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2010 at 10:57pm
DirectTV has packages (esp with their sports) and variety (ie different time zones) than cable. But that could also be a downfall because it takes forever to channel surf, if you are type of person who like to browse the TV a lot. I think Cable has the best internet experience. You might want to go with jeffalmonte89's idea, but that would probably cost you extra.

Also about the early termination fee for DirectTV, it would cost you $20/month remaining, so if you have a year left, you will pay $240 in early termination fee.
Lift Op since 12/09 | Ski Bum since 04/10
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 8:46am
thanks for the input guys.  i decided to go with cable tv.  i was able to get the same service i have now with slightly downgraded internet for the same price i pay now.  that's pretty huge considering it was going to be $40 more.  i'm not too worried about the downgraded internet because i'll be living with 3 less people next year.  i don't get the great packages that Direct TV has, but i'll be paying less overall.

Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:15am
I've had both, the problem with direct tv is they don't have affordable broadband internet connection so you'd have to get it in combination with At&T.

I currently have Comcast 4 rooms + 20 MB/s Internet service for 89.99. Direct tv + ATT equivalent combo would only give me 6 mbs so no can do. One thing I like about Direct tv is they don't raise their prices often compared to cable.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:18am
Originally posted by Surfs_up

I've had both, the problem with direct tv is they don't have affordable broadband internet connection so you'd have to get it in combination with At&T.

I currently have Comcast 4 rooms + 20 MB/s Internet service for 89.99. Direct tv + ATT equivalent combo would only give me 6 mbs so no can do. One thing I like about Direct tv is they don't raise their prices often compared to cable.

this is why i wanted Direct TV, but i was able to muscle a 12-month deal out of charter so my rates won't go up.

Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:19am
If you want to pay less, get together with your neighbors and get the comcast 20MB, you can share bandwidth with your neighbors. My cisco wireless router can accept 1006 connections and reach 2 blocks and still get 8 mb/s
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:19am
i don't get comcast either.  i get charter.  also, i'll probably be splitting internet with the people who live downstairs, so i twill be even cheaper.

coreyfisherman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:20am
Get Direct TV, it is so much better. It is a better deal all around and it doesn't have as many glitches.
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:22am

i don't get comcast either.  i get charter.  also, i'll probably be splitting internet with the people who live downstairs, so i twill be even cheaper.

I use to have charter, I hated their service the internet would go down about once a month. Also they have a 100 or 150 gig bandwith cap.

Splitting is the best way to go, if you can't afford it. Becareful though if the people downstairs uses programs like Bit torrent they can really slow down your connection and easily reach the 150 gig cap.
oddman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 9:52am
without wishing to hijack.

Have you considered cutting your service to zero or limited basic.....

Theres plenty to do in life and with a DVR/Hulu etc  there is plenty to watch.

Yeah I know I am a tight fisted git,  but handing over about a 1,000 a year for TV adds up fast....

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by oddman

Yeah I know I am a tight fisted git,  but handing over about a 1,000 a year for TV adds up fast....

i can't watch some of my favorite sports games with basic cable.  and hulu is only good if they have what you want.  i see your point, but i'll pass.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by coreyfisherman

Get Direct TV, it is so much better. It is a better deal all around and it doesn't have as many glitches.

did you even read this whole thread?

pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 11:33am
i would talk with your cable provider about you switching to dish tv and see if they can give you a better promo offer.
i've had both before and while dish is good, the reliablility of cable can't compare. I live in the northeast and everytime there was a storm the tv would freeze and seize up from the wind or whatever.
nthach View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 12:57pm
Out of all the cable companies, Comcast seems to have their crap somewhat together. TW, Charter and Cox are all clusterfscks...

Cable still sucks IMO, but we've played Comcast to our advantage at times.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 1:37pm
direct tv, and you can get the nfl package too...i could get fios(or infinity, whatever they call their fiber optic service) but direct tv is soooooo much better.
Chad S. View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 1:37pm
direct tv is way better than cable
TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 1:43pm
Im a big fan of DirecTV, but living in SoFla every time a good rain comes which is ALL THE TIME the SAT goes out. Plus its way more expensive then my cable which doesnt have a contract.
Trevinpendry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Carpet boarding.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 1:50pm
We had direct tv but we switched to dish because it was cheaper, we now have satellite in 4 rooms instead of just 1 but we lost fuel tv. :(
Romans 1:16 For I a m not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes...
Michinom View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 2:26pm
I would do cable only because there is  no contract. I think if you include TV and internet together, comcast gives you a pretty good deal. I really like having on demand to watch tv episode that I missed or local sports games. Its a pain to trying to cancel direct tv and on storming days, it was really fuzzy for me or nothing playing at all.
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 5:12pm
I work for Comcast, so its a no brainer who I would suggest.  I dont know who the cable provider is in your area.  Ive been to friends houses who have dish of some sort..never liked it, and that was before I started workin for Comcast.  I have no problems with my service at all.  Most of the problems come from "Harry the homeowner" doing things himself. 
shock639 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Psycho Stick

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 5:19pm
No offense to any comcast workers but they have done me and so many others wrong for years when they had a monopoly. Now they are kissing butt to get people back. I will never forget what they did to me, it deserves it's own thread. There customer service is famous for being horrible here in Michigan.

I have had Direct TV for 5 years and love it. There customer service is excellent. They have great channel selection and easy controls. I get rain fade maybe once a year and all you do is reset it by pushing a button on receiver, no biggie. Plus if a direct tv cust. refers you, they'll pay you each $100.
Life is good
funkify4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 5:22pm
after years of being on cable, i finally switched to direct tv recently.  one of the best decisions i made.  there's so many more channels and at a pretty good price.  i dont think i can ever go back.
Tsiumon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 5:28pm
direct tv allows way more channels w/o the restrictions of cable tv..they always find a way to give you more charges every month..direct tv is way better
Get Some
nthach View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 7:37pm
Just hooked up a new HD box from Comcast, but I feel like swapping it out for a Motorola DCX3200 - the Pace RNG110 seems to not like my TV, when the video modes are switched, the TV will go blank for a minute.
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by oddman

oddman I was thinking the same thing!  I'm a tightwad as well though. :P  Congrats on deciding on cable craig.
Just call me Dan
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2010 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by nthach

Out of all the cable companies, Comcast seems to have their crap somewhat together. TW, Charter and Cox are all clusterfscks... 

Comcast just won the coveted golden poo for the Consumerist's Worst Company in America.  They've also managed to screw me on pretty much every interaction I've ever had with them, so you can consider me biased.  Some of the more entertaining anecdotes:

We had some line problems whenever the weather got bad.  They sent out a tech who arrived late and tracked mud all over our house.  He told us our line problems were due to running the cable line under the carpet.  Apparently carpet has some magic anti-HDTV capabilities that only activates during storms.  Who knew.  He also didn't understand how we were getting channels without using their shitty digital box (Built-in QAM tuner).  After he left, we still had the same problems.  Still got charged a service fee that was mercifully reversed by a friend that works there.

I was sent a past-due notice for $0.00, threatening to send me to collections if I did not pay immediately.
nthach View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 9:18am
Shoot, if you had a PS3/360 and you have a decently fast internet connection you can just drop back to Limited Basic/U-Basic on AT&T and get Netflix on your console. $10/month for basically AYCW movies and TV shows.
Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 9:57am
Getting your service canceled due to NLOS(no-line-of-sight) or LLP (Landlord Permission) is not usually as simple as calling into the CSC and claiming that you're moving to a unit w/a North facing balcony. You would first need to transfer your account information to the new address and set up an appointment for installation. The tech would then have to do an on-site survey to confirm NLOS. Often times, depending on the office, the LLC will roll out a Field Service Manager or another tech at a later time to confirm NLOS.

I HAVE INSTALLED PLENTY OF DISHES ON UNITS W/NORTH FACING BALCONIES

Have you looked into Dish Network? As far as I know they have a prepaid account option that doesn't require the same type of contract as the typical 24mo contract. Also, their standard DHA24mo commitment is neat in that the cancellation fee is reduced by every month that elapses on your account. Besides a commitment isn't really a big deal anyway... how is it any different from your cellphone service? Are you not going to carry a cell because of a 2yr contract this is probably less forgiving?
When in doubt eat trout.
JRpubpro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by mkee19

I work for Comcast, so its a no brainer who I would suggest.  I dont know who the cable provider is in your area.  Ive been to friends houses who have dish of some sort..never liked it, and that was before I started workin for Comcast.  I have no problems with my service at all.  Most of the problems come from "Harry the homeowner" doing things himself. 

After that first sentence I was SURE you were gonna say DirecTV.  You totally threw me there Wink
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Dave Legacy

Are you not going to carry a cell because of a 2yr contract this is probably less forgiving?

no because i plan on having a cell phone for more than two years.  the only reason why this issue came up for me is because i will be moving, and am not sure where to or who i will be living with.  it wouldn't be an issue if i wasn't moving.

Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2010 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by Dave Legacy

Are you not going to carry a cell because of a 2yr contract this is probably less forgiving?
no because i plan on having a cell phone for more than two years.  the only reason why this issue came up for me is because i will be moving, and am not sure where to or who i will be living with.  it wouldn't be an issue if i wasn't moving.

Yeah, a roommate situation could be kinda awkward, but moving isn't.
When in doubt eat trout.
Maaman91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 4:06pm
i'd go with a package deal, i have digital cable, internet, and phone for $100/month
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 4:20pm
an HDMI cable a Cable internet connection and hulu/fancast and your all set
mkee19 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 4:29pm
I know that I am a good tech for my company.  One of the unfortunate things is that most people "think" they know how to fix things...and what the problem is.  I know we do have some lazy techs, but the good ones know their stuff.  I have never had a problem where I live...ever..except for normal system downtime due to upgrades.  Its like that with any company...thats the conclusion that I've come to.  I do wish our customer service is better..to say the least Big smile
yanwongrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2010 at 4:40pm
yeah stick with the best promo you can get and then switch when it ends.
 Post Reply Post Reply