Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do it for the kids
    Posted: May/12/2010 at 6:34am
I work for a nonprofit in Boston as a recreation coordinator and was lucky enough to be able to coordinate with Burton to participate in their CHILL program. For those who aren't familiar, here's some background:

Vision
Changing lives through snowboarding

Mission
Chill provides unique and positive experiences to underserved youth through snowboarding. We give thousands of youth in local communities the opportunity to make turns that forever change lives.

What We Do
Every year, we take over 100 youth from each of our sites to the slopes. We provide them with everything they need to learn to ride: lift tickets, lessons, transportation, and head-to-toe gear. We use snowboarding to motivate youth to accomplish goals they never thought they could, while teaching them some of the most important lessons in life about patience, persistence, responsibility, courage, respect, and pride.

This winter alone, Chill will work with over 2,000 youth in 14 North American cities, Italy, Sydney (Australia), and Innsbruck (Austria).

How It Works
Chill gives underserved youth the chance to break boundaries and find their opportunities to be successful in life. More than that, Chill helps these youth look forward, to see beyond the circumstances of today; encouraging them to focus on positive alternatives for the future.

Who We Serve
Chill serves youth facing a multitude of challenges: youth in group homes and foster care; with addictions; from the juvenile justice system; those struggling with drugs, violence, excessive anger, or depression. Many of the youth have never left their cities, and most have never been to the mountains.

History
Jake and Donna, the founders of Burton Snowboards, started Chill in 1995 in Burlington, Vermont to bring snowboarding to youth who otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity. The program had such an immediate and profound impact that we have continued to expand into new cities, new boardsports and new countries over the past 14 seasons. Since our inception, Chill has positively impacted over 14,000 underserved youth.

Why Chill Rocks
With positive adult role models, engaging activities, and incredible mountain environments we build self confidence and raise self esteem. As many of us know, the impact of snowboarding can be profound and inspiring.

So I was able to select 6 youth in total (3 boys and 3 girls) who have never been snowboarding before and probably would never even consider it to go learn to ride on a local hill. Burton provided everything for them -- pants, jackets, boots, bindings, board, and transportation. They all loved it, needless to say.

I will do all in my power to participate in this program again next year, but I thought to myself, why not do even more? Why not run a similar program in house? I have access to the agency 15 passenger van and a flexible schedule... wouldn't even mind giving up one of my days off per week to do this. Tons of kids would be interested undoubtedly. I'm sure there are a million of other aspects I need to consider (getting support from a local hill, liability, 501(c) status, etc...), but I wanted to gauge through this community the amount of support I could potentially garner from fellow boarders. Whether it be a monetary donation or old gear, would you consider giving to a program like this?
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 8:37am
This might not be the best place for this post... maybe in good karma? Mods, can I have this moved?
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 8:46am
This is a good spot no-one just wanted to comment.  Nobody wants to commit to giving anything away.  I already donate my old gear to an organization up here that does the same, anything to do with getting kids involved in sport is ok by me.
started by flossers making floss for flossers
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 8:57am
Obviously it would be down the road, since you are just in the planning stages, but I would be more willing to donate money than gear. I usually make my charitable donations via phone or internet and it's easier for me to donate cash and better for the organization because they can use the money to serve whatever purposes they deem fit.

If the organization were local to me and not a hassle to drive to, I would consider donating gear. But I would not make the effort to ship old gear across the country, when I could more easily donate cash.
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 9:00am
I have a board to donate.  I just don't know if any kid needs a 165 wide.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 2:59pm
this organisation sounds like a great idea. To be able to give those kids a new experience in life and passion is always a good start. Im a late starter for charity work and i say it does feel good to try to make a difference. Sure its not a great impact, but one small action can always lead to a greater reaction in the future

keep up the good work Jay
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 3:24pm
I'd definitely be willing to donate old gear and time to this type of project.  I don't live too far away from where you're located, and am also currently involved with a couple of small non-profit organizations, so if you need an extra hand with whatever, feel free to send me a note.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 4:12pm
You will have to look into legal issue with that, but it is a great idea but taking kids and doing an extreme sport. You have to think about legal issue. 
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 4:48am
Hmm... thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep this on the drawing board and hope more people have opinions to offer.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 4:59am
There are programs like this in my area as well.  I don't think they're as generous, but I haven't had the opportunity to help out in these programs.  Take a look within your local area and see if there are any other programs like this in your area.
ijan View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 5:02am
I would definitely donate old gear...it offsets my guilt for buying new stuff Wink 
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 5:42am
sounds like a great program.  i would support it in California with in person donations, but I don't want to ship my stuff to the east coast.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
(K) View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 6:58am
Why not, I'm all for getting kids on the mountain who never even thought of going up. That's how I started with a similar program.
xtractime View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 8:22am
hey jayxprez...i'm located here in boston and could help with the manpower if you need any.  I'm still in school so don't have the flowing funds to be donating gear/money but i have time to donate.  I might know some other people that would be interested in helping.  Give me a PM with more info if you need the help.
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 8:33am
Here's a random note about building your organization. When you are putting together your board of directors, it is helpful to have charismatic people or people with big professional/personal networks. Or people who have both charisma and great networking skills. This will be extremely helpful when you get to the fundraising stages.

Obviously, you'll want people who love snowboarding and kids, but it's helpful if they are, say, a lawyer in a big firm and can get lots of their colleagues to donate to your organization. 

Lawyers and accountants are great friends to have even before you begin raising funds. When you are setting up the organization they can help you navigate getting your papers (mission statement, articles of incorporation, business plan, strategic plan, filing government permits/papers, figuring out what kind of insurance you need, etc.), organization structure, and finances (setting up accounts, allocating funds for overhead versus programs, budgeting, etc.) set up and running.
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:29am
This is a great idea. I saw something kinda similar where there was a video about some people helping inner kids in brooklyn stay off the street by getting them into snowboarding.

If i  lived near you or another mountain that had a similar program. I would definitely donate my time to help the kids.

Zhen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:40am
wow thats awesome :)

i'd donate if i had any old stuff
Myke_Hawke View Drop Down
Local
Local
My 2004 STi with 575 AWHP

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:52am
Maybe you could have stickie in the Good Karma thread for people to donate the gear too
Scotty
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 5:13am
That is a great program and I would love to help but I have to get gear for my own little one. I could see donating to something like this in the future though.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 2:03pm
Thanks a lot guys. I think the easiest way for me to get this going would be to run it out of the organization I'm working with now. Any donations would be covered by the agency's 501(c) which could be written off. As far as liability and all, I already have waivers drawn up that parents would have to sign... sort of like the field trip permission slips from back in the day.

Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 9:21pm
I would donate any old gear if I had any. Recently just sold it all off on Craigslist.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 5:58am
It's all good! I've sold plenty of my stuff too. We need to support our own habits as well
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 12:52pm
That sounds pretty cool and I hope it works out for you.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
ChristianBoarder View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 1:07pm
I am going to sell my old stuff too. I don't have a job so I need that money. Although I would donate ~$50. I just can't afford to donate all of the old gear.
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2010 at 11:55pm
It is a great stuff to do. I normally give away some of my minor skiing fear to my friend's kids. But sell major old stuff to buy other stuff that I need for two of us. Though would probably consider donating a few dollars occasionally. All the best with what you are doing.
We are is what we think
CANADIAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:44am
i just wish i could help! i love kids and they way the are boarding! makes it seem so easy! come on guys help out! good luck man!
Give me some snow!
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 11:05am
man, why are those lil kids so good these days. id donate locally to programs like this around me for sure.
CANADIAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 12:18pm
i like helping kids! i am doing that many years noe here in greece but i am helping with other ways like volunteering job in health centers since i have studied health promotion! i just wish someone to do something! Sierra give some help here! pls!
Give me some snow!
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 12:44pm
I am sure you have already thought about this, but I'd get together with the marketing manager of the resort you want to work with (you may have to approach a couple of places...). If you work it right, you may be able to get them to supply the tickets/lessons/and rentals. You should be able to get a good discount anyway, but pick the right resort to make a partnership with, where they can advertise that they do it for their community, you can get it all for free.   It isn't a bad marketing idea (if they can market it well) and your program will benefit.

As for gear, I'd call up all the resorts NOW and see if they have lost and found still hanging around. Since the season has ended, I am sure they get rid of it all anyway.   

Good luck!
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
SnowBanker View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Stunt alien

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 6:48pm
Great idea. Have you considered partnering up with Burton's Chill program? The sharing of the resources you mention might get better leverage with the Burton connections. I guess I wasn't sure why your own agency's activities couldn't just be in partnership with Burton's. Snowboarding is a pretty expensive sport. I wonder if there would be more bang for the buck to have the kids go up to the resorts in the summer to get out of the city to just enjoy the great outdoors like the Fresh Air Fund does. Alternatively, a Big Brother Big Sister program at the resorts in the winter might be another way you want something smaller scale, and again pairing up with another agency to do this. Just my two cents. Great to see that others are supportive.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 4:44am
These are all really good suggestions. Trust me, I'm taking notes on everything and will begin formulating as soon as I get everything capped off for this summer... busy busy with figuring out where to place all these kids.

As for working with Burton again, I would love to do so. The only thing is that program only allows me to reach out to 6 kids and I want/can work with way more than only 6 during the summer. You reminded me about the Fresh Air Fund. I had looked into that months ago but don't remember what it was that put the brakes on that. Time to look again.
CANADIAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 5:01am
come on guys we need more help! we can do better! i am sure that there are out there many others who can help!
Give me some snow!
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 5:38am
Originally posted by CANADIAN

come on guys we need more help! we can do better! i am sure that there are out there many others who can help!

Wow, CANADIAN. I appreciate the enthusiasm. I want to be clear though, I'm not asking for anything but suggestions and feedback right now. I'm getting a good idea that this is definitely feasible but I need to get everything in line before I even think about asking for donations of any sort. Again, thanks.
bgilboards View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Catamount

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 2:56am
This idea was proposed at the mountain i work at, and i'm all for it. Right now i don't actually own my own board but if i had the extra gear and cash it would deffinitaly go towards this cause.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 4:48am
The idea was proposed at the mountain you work at and then what? Is it going to happen or what? Who's organizing it? Give me some details if you have any. I'm interested to hear more.
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 5:23am
i think my stuff is being donated at the end of the season.. great cause!
CANADIAN View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 11:28pm
that's nice of you andrethegiant!
Give me some snow!
5nowflake View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:06am
i would probably donate time and/or gear....
soxfan47104 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 10:07am
this is a great idea
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 12:27pm
I'd actually like to hear some negative things too so I can look at things from all angles. Why'd 3 people vote no?
nicholaslalley View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 1:08pm
It would depend. It sounds like a good program tho.
jeffalmonte89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 10:54pm
I would give to a program like this. But I think it would be a lot easier to donate if you were able to actually meet the child and see how your donation is being put to good use.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 4:29am
Originally posted by nicholaslalley

It would depend. It sounds like a good program tho.

It would depend on what? Be specific so the comment can be constructive, please.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 7:55pm
I've been working really slowly on this as the summer months are always busy for programming and scheduling...

So today I started looking for grants and sponsorships today that fall in line with what I'm trying to do. Found a handful of possibilities and put together one quick proposal. If anyone else knows of any leads or works for a corporation with a giving program that would be interested... holler!

PICKLES View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Nom, nom, nom.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 12:17am
If it's for charity, we can't decline.
Weather, comply!
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 8:49am
Originally posted by PICKLES

If it's for charity, we can't decline.

Haha, if it was only that easy. For the most part it is though, I guess. It's just a matter of finding the right people. The worst thing someone could say is "no" and "no" doesn't hurt at all.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 9:14am
sounds like a great program. You should give yourself a pat on the back op. I've been trying to think of some kind of charity organization but no luck so far.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 6:08pm
I'll pat myself on the back once I can get this up and running.
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 6:25pm
sponsorship man. even if you do have donated gear. the logistics of matching ppl up are insanely difficult. it would be expensive to do this. unless you have a store like the extinct ski market to help you using a rental fleet. or possibly a local mountain like loon or wachusett. matching kids up to the right size is just as important.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2010 at 4:28am
yea man that's something i've taken into account and it'll be a challenge to work around. most of the teens i work with of "average" height and weight but there are a handful out outliers. i think what i'll end up doing is subsidizing in the event we have to rent for anyone, but hopefully we'll be able to get enough gear on hand to avoid this.

the gears are still churning. i've just recently heard back from one of the mountains i wrote to regarding this program and they're stoked about it but haven't reached a decision yet. i should hear back from them in one to two weeks. i also put together a few grant proposals to get things off the ground as well.

here's another idea i'll put out there: a few people mentioned they'd like to donate but wouldn't want to pay to ship their gear. what if i was able to reimburse for the shipping costs??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>