Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memorial Day at Mammoth
    Posted: May/12/2010 at 6:51am
Let's riiiiiide! Although this beautiful spring weather and good surf in L.A. is great, seeing the vid cams at mammoth....omg. i know some of you are going up the wknd of 5/21, i was just wondering if any of you are planning on celebrating Memorial Day up there. Happy trails.
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2010 at 9:09am
im thinking about it maybe we can do a carpool trip.  It be me and my gf tina
Capita Stairmaster 159, k2 auto-uprise R- +15/-12, Ride Jackson boots
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 10:46am
Does anyone know how many parks/pipes are open right now? I'm thinking about going Memorial Day weekend.
2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:46am
Originally posted by deepakhj

Does anyone know how many parks/pipes are open right now? I'm thinking about going Memorial Day weekend.

I was riding Mammoth this past Saturday and Sunday.

Temperature was about 49/50 degrees and sunny both days with no clouds.  No wind on Saturday.  Slight/intermittent wind on Sunday.

Typical Spring riding:  hard, smooth, fast corduroy groomers for about the 1st hour, nice after softening-up a bit and not terribly wet/slow (yet) for about the 2nd hour, starting to get pretty slushy, cut-up/pushed-around/bumpy, and slow during the 3rd hour of the day, and just gets worse as the day progresses.

Cornice did not get get groomed Friday night and it was still/already bumpy 1st thing Saturday morning from Friday.  But Cornice was groomed Saturday night and was nice for the 1st couple of hours before slushing and bumping-out by 11-ish.  Scotty's wasn't groomed on Friday or Saturday evenings...

On Sunday, all the bigger jumps in Forest Trail Park that were perfect @ 8:30am were super slushy and deeply grooved by about 10:30am.  Around 11am on Sunday I caught my heel edge while carving my approach to the first (15'/20') jump in Forest Trail Park and instantly slammed into its face stopping short of its lip by a couple of feet--good thing it was slushy and soft because it didn't hurt much--however, the only reason I caught my edge and slammed was because it WAS slushy, bumpy, and grooved...

I can't comment on Main Park as I avoid jumps greater than about 20'/25' max.

We called it a day around 2 pm on Saturday and around noon on Sunday.

Mammoth is now closing @ 3pm instead of 4pm.

Main Park and Forest Trail Park are the only parks that are open.  In Main Park, the (18') Super Pipe is gone but the (22') Super Duper Pipe was still there and open for riding--lookin' a little dirty though.

They were building a new pipe on the side of the Saddle Bowl trail above the St. Moritz area.  To ride this pipe, you'll have to take either:  Face Lift up and then go down around the backside and find it on skier's right, upper Gondola to the top, or chair 23 up and then down Cornice keeping right at the bottom and below the top/beginning of St. Anton.

PATKOUG
umeshgnars View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backside 180 with Method

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:55am
Yo Patkoug, thanks for the Mammoth update. Very helpful. I'll be going up Memorial Day weekend so it's good to have an idea on how early to get to the mountain.
Don't just do it, LIVE IT
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by umeshgnars

Yo Patkoug, thanks for the Mammoth update. Very helpful. I'll be going up Memorial Day weekend so it's good to have an idea on how early to get to the mountain.

Yeah, early bird gets the worm--ride hard early before it gets crappy.

PATKOUG
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backside 180 with Method

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:01pm
[/QUOTE]

Hey LapuLapu, glad you're coming up on Memorial day weekend. A couple of us are going to be there. You should post a meet up on the "Meet up" section. My friends and I are doing the Katal landing pad camp so we can't commit to meeting up on the mountain unless you're doing the pad too. We could all get together for drinks, dinner, etc afterwards though if you're interested. Right now, Sevenstarsfall, is our point/contact person for meet ups. He's not doing the Katal session so should be able to meet up with those not doing the session. You should PM him if interested. See you in ten days.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backside 180 with Method

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:06pm
Thanks again Patkoug. I am concerned about the quality of the jumps though. How about the terrain park staff? Weren't they working on the parks during the day to keep the jump take off's smooth?
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:09pm

Thanks again Patkoug. I am concerned about the quality of the jumps though. How about the terrain park staff? Weren't they working on the parks during the day to keep the jump take off's smooth?

I haven't really seen park staff during the day maintaining the features during the whole season.
sevenstarsfall View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:14pm
Ill be up there memorial weekend riding around aimlessly crashing into things
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backside 180 with Method

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:23pm
We just need to keep you off the long island ice Teas Seven.

Thanks Hana. Kinda sad to hear that Mammoth doesn't maintain their parks during the day. Northstar, Squaw, Heavenly, Sierra at Tahoe all have dedicated park crews maintaining their parks throughout the day. I can understand if there's only one or two guys at the end of the season but no-one throughout the regular season is inexcusable. I guess I'll have to talk to them about it when I'm up there. Thanks again.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:30pm

We just need to keep you off the long island ice Teas Seven.

Thanks Hana. Kinda sad to hear that Mammoth doesn't maintain their parks during the day. Northstar, Squaw, Heavenly, Sierra at Tahoe all have dedicated park crews maintaining their parks throughout the day. I can understand if there's only one or two guys at the end of the season but no-one throughout the regular season is inexcusable. I guess I'll have to talk to them about it when I'm up there. Thanks again.

I don't know about anyone not maintaining them, but in my experience I haven't run into the park staff unless if they are building new features such as the pipe or some huge jump.  Maybe they're around and I don't see them the times I do go through the park.  Mammoth is a pretty big place you know.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Backside 180 with Method

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:36pm
Yeah, it's big. Been there a few times but not this season yet. I'll check it out when I'm over there. Don't seem to recall a problem with the park features the last time I was there. Maybe they have ghosts maintaining the park. It is a recession you know.
jimster716 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:38pm
It looked like they're building a new pipe next to the rock face at Facelift/Saddle Bowl...maybe the higher elevation and cooler temps will let it last further into the spring season.
2011 NeverSummer Heritage 158 :: 2011 Rome Targa :: 2012 Bataleon Disaster :: 2012 Flux RK30
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:43pm
Damn it would be so sick to make it out there.
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by hana24

I haven't really seen park staff during the day maintaining the features during the whole season.

I almost never see anyone maintaining the jumps and jib-approaches in the parks @ Mammoth during the day but I'm sure that they must...  How frequently and how thoroughly the Park Crews work during the day--I do not know but, like I said--they must...

I should also say that I'm no "Park-Rat" so I'm probably not the "best" person to comment in general about the habits of Park Crews...  I mostly enjoy riding steeps fast and hard, and sort-of cut-through the parks as an afterthought to keep things interesting.  I've always been more of a speed and jump guy and have only really started jibbing the last couple of seasons.  And if the people I'm riding with don't enjoy jumping and jibbing--I'm not about to "make" them ride through the park when they don't actually "want" to--and we'll just spend the day "hot-lapping" the mountain from top to bottom avoiding the parks.

Bottom line is that it's spring-time so the snow gets really wet and really soft really early:  the warmer--the quicker.  So even if a Park Crew were out there maintaining and resurfacing the features every hour--or even every half-hour--they'd be effed-up again in literally no-time-at-all because the snow is just so VERY wet and soft...

PATKOUG
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 2:19pm
Just booked a room at the Mammoth Inn for 5/28-5/31.... sucks about the jumps getting cut up. The lady at the hotel said they are building another smaller pipe like you said, so I'll prolly be there a lot. I might try the landing pad 1 day..

2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 2:29pm
TYVM patkoug for your update. Frankly, I just don't want this winter to end. My wife and I are super stoked just to be able to go this late in the season and we're hoping to end it with a bang at Mammoth. My boys don't even know we're going and we're planning to surprise them Friday afternoon by picking them up from school with the car "loaded-up" with our boards on top. I can just imagine the other parents goin, "Huuuuuh, there's still snow?" We are gonna ride like there's no tomorrow!!!!! Cause there won't be (snow-wise) for a few months.
de gustibus non est disputandum
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by PATKOUG

Temperature was about 49/50 degrees and sunny both days with no clouds.  No wind on Saturday.  Slight/intermittent wind on Sunday.

Typical Spring riding:  hard, smooth, fast corduroy groomers for about the 1st hour, nice after softening-up a bit and not terribly wet/slow (yet) for about the 2nd hour, starting to get pretty slushy, cut-up/pushed-around/bumpy, and slow during the 3rd hour of the day, and just gets worse as the day progresses.

Cornice did not get get groomed Friday night and it was still/already bumpy 1st thing Saturday morning from Friday.  But Cornice was groomed Saturday night and was nice for the 1st couple of hours before slushing and bumping-out by 11-ish.  Scotty's wasn't groomed on Friday or Saturday evenings...

On Sunday, all the bigger jumps in Forest Trail Park that were perfect @ 8:30am were super slushy and deeply grooved by about 10:30am.  Around 11am on Sunday I caught my heel edge while carving my approach to the first (15'/20') jump in Forest Trail Park and instantly slammed into its face stopping short of its lip by a couple of feet--good thing it was slushy and soft because it didn't hurt much--however, the only reason I caught my edge and slammed was because it WAS slushy, bumpy, and grooved...

Main Park and Forest Trail Park are the only parks that are open.  In Main Park, the (18') Super Pipe is gone but the (22') Super Duper Pipe was still there and open for riding--lookin' a little dirty though.

They were building a new pipe on the side of the Saddle Bowl trail above the St. Moritz area.  To ride this pipe, you'll have to take either:  Face Lift up and then go down around the backside and find it on skier's right, upper Gondola to the top, or chair 23 up and then down Cornice keeping right at the bottom and below the top/beginning of St. Anton.

Thanks, great review. I was thinking of coming out from the east coast towards the end of June but it sounds like it will be a mess by then. What do you think?
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by snowmen

Originally posted by PATKOUG

Thanks, great review. I was thinking of coming out from the east coast towards the end of June but it sounds like it will be a mess by then. What do you think?

Well, in my opinion, it's already a (slushy and slow spring-time) "mess" by/after 11/11:30-ish daily but, as they say, "Beauty's in the eye of the beholder," so I'm sure that others may be more charitable with their spring-skiing assessments, but spring slush just depresses me...

Mammoth's saying that they're gonna be open through the 4th of July this year but I doubt that I'll go again after this or next (Memorial Day) weekend at the latest.  Two weeks ago my friend and I agreed on making a Mammoth trip this coming weekend but, after telling him how it was this last weekend, now we're considering just calling it a season and not going...

EDIT @ 8:15pm 19May2010:

I probably wouldn't even CONSIDER going to Mammoth again this season if I didn't have a season pass (like I do) and had to buy lift tickets--but that's just me...

PATKOUG
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 1:21pm
Cooler weather and chances of snow return this weekend and into next week for Mammoth. 4-6" of snow predicted by Monday with light snowfall potentially all next week into the holiday weekend. Hopefully the cooler weather hangs around for the holiday weekend so you guys can enjoy some better conditions.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 1:59pm
Patkoug, thanks again for your review. We are thinking alike. Spring conditions can be Ok first thing in the AM when the snow is firm but that can quickly turn to slush by Noon. We were at Sugarloaf in Maine during mid-April and that was it for the snow back here in the East. It is better than nothing but it also gets old avoiding all of the bare spots on the way back to the 2 lifts that were open. I  was hoping for a trip out West somewhere if the conditions were worth it.
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by snowmen

Patkoug, thanks again for your review. We are thinking alike. Spring conditions can be Ok first thing in the AM when the snow is firm but that can quickly turn to slush by Noon. We were at Sugarloaf in Maine during mid-April and that was it for the snow back here in the East. It is better than nothing but it also gets old avoiding all of the bare spots on the way back to the 2 lifts that were open. I  was hoping for a trip out West somewhere if the conditions were worth it.

There's no bare spots (yet).  As of today, Mammoth's (still) got a 7'-12' base so there's plenty of snow but, because of the warm spring-time temperatures, it gets pretty darn slushy pretty darn quickly--that's what I don't like:  super-slushy super-early.

PATKOUG
PATKOUG View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 9:34am

The Mammoth website is forecasting highs of:  39 for today, 25 for tomorrow, and 22 for Sunday.  Cooler temperatures like these kinda make me want to go this weekend but my buddy just canceled on me so...  I guess not.

PATKOUG
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 9:54am
The only probably with the cooler temps is that slush will be ice if it's really that cold (in the 20s).
John-John View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lake Run

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 10:06am
mammoth its gonna be a fun one
mnlm85 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 10:07am
yeaa i bet there is going to be bunch of people up there during that weekend
Snowboarding!
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 12:14pm
Yeah.... gonna be sick.. ready to practice on features all day

2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2010 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by dnbreaks

The only probably with the cooler temps is that slush will be ice if it's really that cold (in the 20s).

Yeah today got cold and windy fast after lunch.  Higher up the mountain was super icy while the lower part got slushy.  I expect it to be pretty icy tomorrow.
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 4:22am

Yeah today got cold and windy fast after lunch.  Higher up the mountain was super icy while the lower part got slushy.  I expect it to be pretty icy tomorrow.

Cold and windy after lunch was what it was like the last time I was up there for all four days. I hate that. Personally I'd rather it be warm and slushy instead.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 9:09am
doesn't seem like it's worth it then for late riders like us
be talkin to ya
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 6:39pm
Wow guys really? Here we are the with the 2010 El Nino at the end one of the best seasons ever and the rest the boarders across the country wishing they could ride here. I'm beginning to feel like i'm crazy to be so stoked to go. Sorry, guess i'm missing something.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2010 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by LapuLapu

Wow guys really? Here we are the with the 2010 El Nino at the end one of the best seasons ever and the rest the boarders across the country wishing they could ride here. I'm beginning to feel like i'm crazy to be so stoked to go. Sorry, guess i'm missing something.

It started snowing on and off the mountain today.  3 to 7 inches expected tomorrow....bring on the powder day! Big smile
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 5:58am

It started snowing on and off the mountain today.  3 to 7 inches expected tomorrow....bring on the powder day! Big smile

Yes they got about 4 inches at the base so that's probably around 8 up top. Another few inches expected through tonight. Cold temps and flurries all week with another storm expected on Wednesday. That system is supposed to clear out by Saturday at which point warmer temps will return.

All in all that's about the best you can expect for the end of May. Conditions will be really fun next weekend.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 6:06am

Yes they got about 4 inches at the base so that's probably around 8 up top. Another few inches expected through tonight. Cold temps and flurries all week with another storm expected on Wednesday. That system is supposed to clear out by Saturday at which point warmer temps will return.

All in all that's about the best you can expect for the end of May. Conditions will be really fun next weekend.

I know I can't believe it's snowing up here.  I was expecting spring conditions when I came up, not mid winter conditions.
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2010 at 6:21am
YeeeeeHaaaaa!!!!! I just checked the MM weather report and another storm is expected this week.
For you guys already up there now, have an awesome session today. Happy trails
Bippu26 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 8:03am
I'll be up there along with 5 of my other friends.
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 9:28am

Memorial Day Wknd should be fun.  Sign up for the "Meet-up" for some hot chocolate.  Happy trails. 

buggravy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 9:37am
Weather is looking better and better for the weekend.  Storms this week followed by spring conditions later in the weekend.  I think I'm going to head up for Mon/Tues.
sevenstarsfall View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 9:50am
Ill be there and signed up in the meet up section, that is all....
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 12:05pm
I wasn't gonna go but I think I might have to now.  Supposed to snow Tue - Fri and then warm up for the weekend.  That sounds like a perfect way to end my season.
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
at an amusement park

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 12:13pm
wow, i wish i could ride. tommorow its gunna be 92 degrees! dam i hate east coast!
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:23pm
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 7:52am

Bah. Tioga Pass (Highway 120 through Yosemite) is still closed.

I was hoping it would open this weekend.
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 4:57pm
It is dumping RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid289.photobucket.com/albums/ll227/SierraLady2/Winter%2009-10/MVI_1593.flv">
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 5:09am
They got about 6 inches of snow at 9000 feet.  Decent amount but unfortunately the storm just kind of brushed by Mammoth or it would have been much more.  Tahoe got a ton of snow and I heard some of the resorts that had closed were reopening for this weekend.

Tioga won't be open any time soon.
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 5:11am
Wow this season has been simply amazing for the High Sierras.  Mammoth was simply incredible, just the shear amount of snow was staggering.
Yeah that's a rip stick.
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 7:44am

They got about 6 inches of snow at 9000 feet.  Decent amount but unfortunately the storm just kind of brushed by Mammoth or it would have been much more.  Tahoe got a ton of snow and I heard some of the resorts that had closed were reopening for this weekend.

Tioga won't be open any time soon.

There were a couple of tourists in Mammoth Lakes and they wanted to go to Yosemite from there.  They were told Tioga wasn't open and the only open road across the sierras that was closest was the 88 near Tahoe LOL  We were wondering why they didn't realize this because there are road signs on the way to Mammoth saying the roads are closed.
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2010 at 5:38am
So how was it?  Let's hear some first hand reports.
LapuLapu View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2010 at 2:06pm

All good things must end....except this season!!  Memorial Day was awesome. Although I didn't get a chance to meet up with anyone from our community, my family and I had a great time.  Warm weather, blue skies, thick azz base with powder stashes everywhere.  They opened up Goldrush and parts of Canyon were open as well.  Indeed, the snow got slow and sloppy by early afternoon and the bubbles in the jacuzzi's didn't work very well, the beer was cold, my boys got to shred and I am in one piece.  College days notwithstanding, perhaps the best Memorial Weekend ever.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>