Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sportsmanship..............
    Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:16pm
www.chargeharder.com
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:19pm
That is so lame!  So what if she wears a bracelet it's not like it's injecting steroids into her.  What sore losers!
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:25pm
wow thats crazy!! it wasn't even a bracelet so to speak, it was a piece of string...
the rule refers to jewelry, i didn't know string is now considered jewelry????

dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:25pm
Karma's a %*@)$, hope that coach gets it. What I'm wondering is, why didn't she get another vault with the bracelet removed? There was no warning given. I don't remember much from my pole vaulting days but it definitely never came down to this. I also remember a lot of runners wearing necklaces...

EDIT: N/M, states in the rules the vaulter is disqualified. Wow. The people who create the rules should rethink that. How about some warnings? Or if the ref / judge doesn't notice before the vault, it should count or they should get a redo.

In wrestling, the refs check you over during weigh-in and looks you over when you step on the mat. Maybe they should do this for the field events.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:28pm
Wow, thats pretty lame right there.  That coach must have a small wang.  We had jewelry rules in HS when I was playing ball, but at the most the ref would give you a warning to take it off, or in the case of earings to just put tape over them.  They wouldn't stop the game or anything, they would just come over during timeouts or between quarters when it didn't really matter. 

Most of the time it was just a mistake and we had forgotten.  I can't imagine losing a championship over something like this.

joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:32pm
I disagree with you. As an athlete and a coach (I coached HS for a couple of years along with club teams) I say it was the right call. I'm positive it wasn't the way the other team wanted to win, no one wants to win that way; however, this girl did break the rules and turning a blind eye to that isn't really fair to all the other athletes who did follow the rules. Whether she was injecting steroids, failing a class, used a jet pack or wore a bracelet, she should have been DQed for breaking the rules. A rule is a rule is a rule, and allowing coaches/athletes/parents etc. choose which rules should be followed and which ones you can break just opens a can of worms that organized sports should not open. This rule was made to protect the student athletes (so they don't get an earring torn out or whatever), and telling your team it is okay to break the rules as long as no one gets hurt and it is a big meet/game, is not good coaching/parenting.
I partially blame the coach, it was his job to make sure his athletes were ready for competition.

Sucks, but everything that happened was fair.

Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
superliou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:34pm
a bracelet is not going to make you a better athlete. what a sore loser.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:36pm
Gotta agree, that's bullshit that something that has no effect on performance results in a disqualification.  I hate bitter people who can't just have good sportsmanship and need loopholes to win.  If I had the opportunity to win something because of a disqualification it just wouldn't mean the same to me, it'd be a hollow victory. And the fact that it cost her TEAM a championship too, what a bitch of a coach.

Also the chick who got disqualified is pretty cute.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:37pm
Someone should report that coach for tax evasion to get him audited.  Since he's into being a rules nazi, I'm sure he'd love to talk to the IRS.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:38pm
So you NEVER unintentionally broke a ''rule'' ever in your athletic history joness?  I find that one hard to believe. 

Furthermore as a competitor in a sport, I simply would not want to win in that manner, period. 
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:44pm
Speaking about cute pole vaulters, remember when you guys posted that photo of Alison Stokes? Dyam.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:46pm
Really Joness?

If anything it's on the officials to check the participants for this if it's a rule. I reffed little kids' basketball and we checked for bracelets and earrings before every game, that was our job. If we found somebody who was wearing one and we missed it, you just ask them to take it off, not kick the out of the game.

The dq is completely disproportionate, and has nothing to do with a slippery slope of enforcing whatever rules you want. It's a BRACELET, nobody is trying to justify breaking any other rules because somebody got away with wearing a friendship bracelet.
icechickay View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:52pm
Pretty ridiculous... however, a rule is a rule. The no jewelery rule is there to prevent injury. I've seen athletes with broken fingers from getting them caught in an opponent's bracelet, personally witnessed at least 5 girls who had navel piercings torn out during soccer games (super nasty), facial cuts from earrings, etc.

It's pretty awful that the opposing coach had to pull a dick move and report her after the event though. No doubt he saw it on her first run and was just waiting... Anyway, they should have a coach or team captain do a once-over of everyone before their event to make sure they're set.
madmike3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:54pm
Wow that is complete BULLSHIT!!!!! shtook CIF rules, they are sooooo homosexual They didn't let us paint our hair or body paint or anything at the playoffs. This bracelet thing is ridiculous.
je6ch View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:54pm
this makes me mad
Chef Pollo D View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 12:59pm
For the most part I agree with rules if affects the outcome of the game/contest.  But plastic on a piece of string is kind of harsh.  Was it the right call?  It certainly was.  Over a friendship bracelet?  Kind of low.  I mean I can see if he was mad that it was a Phiten bracelet which centers you chi and allows you to release energy balls....ridiculous.  
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:20pm
hilarious

people take their job too seriously all the time
my mom says im hardcore
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Chef Pollo D

For the most part I agree with rules if affects the outcome of the game/contest.  But plastic on a piece of string is kind of harsh.  Was it the right call?  It certainly was.  Over a friendship bracelet?  Kind of low.  I mean I can see if he was mad that it was a Phiten bracelet which centers you chi and allows you to release energy balls....ridiculous.  

hahaha i think that pretty much sums up how much bullshit this really is...
bigtshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:44pm
I'm sure he's secure in the knowledge that his team is worse in every way, except for being jerks.  "I didn't notice until she walked by me". What an a-hole.

myach View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:48pm
he should be a defense attorney.. nitpicking, finding loopholes.. he'd be good at it
Chef Pollo D View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by madmike3

Wow that is complete BULLSHIT!!!!! shtook CIF rules, they are sooooo homosexual They didn't let us paint our hair or body paint or anything at the playoffs. This bracelet thing is ridiculous.

So the rules prefer the same sex as oppose to the opposite?  hmmm interesting.....

Besides what would you do with body paint and dyed hair during the playoffs anyways?  If your gripe is with them not letting fans do things you're in the wrong post.  It's about the athletes.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:50pm
That is a monumental dick move by the opposing coach (shades of Billy Martin and the George Brett tar pine incident).

I'm curious what the specific wording of the rule is and whether a post-event DQ is compulsory or the ref conceivably could have let her go again.  If it is absolutely compulsory, I'm going to say it's a bad rule.  If it's not, then it's a crap call by the ref.

This reminds me of the new taunting rule going into effect in college football, where refs can call back touchdowns for taunting.  Rules are rules and maybe minor sanctions are in order for future contests, but you shouldn't be able to swing the result of an event (much less a championship event) over something so minor.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 1:59pm
Damn Kimchi, I don't watch college football much, I hadn't heard of that taunting rule.  Calling back the touchdown?  Thats rough, maybe give them some more yardage on the FG or something, but damn.  I hate the general enforcement of ''taunting'' rules.  While the intent behind them is sound, I tend to notice they get enforced by people who obviously didn't play sports at a high level.  Running over and grabbing your crotch in front of the other team's bench, yeah, thats taunting.  Letting out a loud yell or scream in celebration, thats just emotion and you can't control it.  You can't turn the players into robots, the whole reason why they are playing the sport is passion and emotion.   I remember when they started calling hanging on the rim when I was in HS after dunks.  It was designed to cut down on taunting as well.  Only problem, I would say that literally 70% of the techs I got as a result of this stupid rule was because someone was standing directly underneath me and letting go of the rim posed a safety hazard.  20% were the result of just trying to stabilize myself on the way down............ok and I admit 10% might have been for grabbing my crotch and pointing or somethingLOL
aburns70 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The Dreamboat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:00pm
Man that's messed up man. That's the problem with most sports nowadays, you can't do it unless you win. Coaches and parents put way to much pressure on having to win and be the best. Just let the kids play man.
Myke_Hawke View Drop Down
Local
Local
My 2004 STi with 575 AWHP

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:01pm
Hating on the Hotties, that's what I call it
Scotty
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:03pm
I mean seriously, that team looks at that trophy now and realizes they won on a technicality.  Only a very small pathetic person would consider that any kind of victory.  Rule or no rule.  Not sure about everyone else, but I play sports for the spirit of the competition, the victory is a byproduct of hard work and determination.  To not work hard enough and get a victory isn't even fun really. 

HobbesDeeTiger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:05pm
Wow, that's pretty messed up.  Sad that they made an entire school's team lose because of one string bracelet that clearly had no effect on the outcome.  
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by shakazulu12

Damn Kimchi, I don't watch college football much, I hadn't heard of that taunting rule.  Calling back the touchdown?  Thats rough, maybe give them some more yardage on the FG or something, but damn.  I hate the general enforcement of ''taunting'' rules.  While the intent behind them is sound, I tend to notice they get enforced by people who obviously didn't play sports at a high level.  Running over and grabbing your crotch in front of the other team's bench, yeah, thats taunting.  Letting out a loud yell or scream in celebration, thats just emotion and you can't control it.  You can't turn the players into robots, the whole reason why they are playing the sport is passion and emotion.   I remember when they started calling hanging on the rim when I was in HS after dunks.  It was designed to cut down on taunting as well.  Only problem, I would say that literally 70% of the techs I got as a result of this stupid rule was because someone was standing directly underneath me and letting go of the rim posed a safety hazard.  20% were the result of just trying to stabilize myself on the way down............ok and I admit 10% might have been for grabbing my crotch and pointing or somethingLOL
The prior rule was that yardage was added to the point after, I believe.  The new rule technically doesn't go into effect until 2011, but they're supposed to ramp up taunting calls in 2010 as a warning.

You're absolutely right.  Both the NCAA and the NFL are trying to turn athletes into robots and it kind of sucks.  Rules ought to be in place because they promote fair play and safety.  They shouldn't be slavishly adhered to just because they're the rules.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:14pm
Oh wow, I would hate my coach for doing that!
Hydrosonic View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
I know, I'm doing it wrong

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:18pm

Definitely overkill to disqualify. Just have her take it off and vault again. As small as the bracelet was it would be easy to not notice it as a coach. The coach had plenty of other things on the mind. I also don't see how it could've effected the vault in any way.

You didn't know what you think you thought you knew.
Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:31pm
I think that rules are rules. For the coach to call it out is pretty wack though. Competition has become a joke now a days with rules after rules getting in the way. I mean rules are good in sense to keep the games fair and balance, but when one team beats another by simply displaying the knowledge of the rules and not by athletics or technique then competition becomes worthless.
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:36pm
I would definitely hate my coach for doing that.
portmex20 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Squaw Valley

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:45pm
its amazing the things that people will do to win.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 2:49pm
super bad sportsmanship.. next thing you know they will be targeting the lucky underwear cause it gives them a great advantage in luck..

the coach should be smacked on the back of the head for that..damn sore loser
noobert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 3:44pm
i call BS on the coach not seeing the bracelet.  he likely saw it beforehand and just waited for her to make her vault.

but then again, we all know how friendship bracelets make you more aerodynamic Ermm

joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 3:54pm

So you NEVER unintentionally broke a ''rule'' ever in your athletic history joness? I find that one hard to believe.

Furthermore as a competitor in a sport, I simply would not want to win in that manner, period.

Of course I've unintentionally broke rules, I NEVER claimed I didn't. But guess what.. I got disqualified for breaking them. Actually, the last time I got DQed in a meet was two years ago. The brainless undergrad timer couldn't figure out something with my entry form so she came to the block to ask me about it (even though it could have waited). When she was asking me the question, they told us to get set. I didn't hear the official's call, and I didn't set, so I got DQed. I lost the overall high point for the meet because of it (and it was in my best event and all I need was to place 5th or better - and I was hands down the best swimmer in the event). It REALLY sucked, but I broke the rule, and I suffered the consequences.

Furthermore, if you won a match/game whatever as a competitor because the other team/person broke a rule you didn't agree with, then you have every right to forfeit, that is your prerogative. But it doesn't mean the other team/competitor shouldn't be penalized for their mistake.

Originally posted by broys

Really Joness?

If anything it's on the officials to check the participants for this if it's a rule. I reffed little kids' basketball and we checked for bracelets and earrings before every game, that was our job. If we found somebody who was wearing one and we missed it, you just ask them to take it off, not kick the out of the game.

The dq is completely disproportionate, and has nothing to do with a slippery slope of enforcing whatever rules you want. It's a BRACELET, nobody is trying to justify breaking any other rules because somebody got away with wearing a friendship bracelet.

Yes broys, really.   At the HS level, the officials have a lot of responsibility. I am not sure if you have been to a large track meet, but to get all those athletes together and do a check is a waste of time. The athletes and coaches KNEW the rules (if they didn't A LOT more girls would have been DQed - most of us wear jewelry -bracelets, earring, necklaces etc.). Every other girl followed the rule. Yes, it is a BRACELET, but if it is okay to wear those and get away with it, should they be able to wear earrings? If so, why not rings, anklets etc? Heck, why did they even make that rule? Hell, why did they make any rule?   Where do you stop? Rules are rules are rules are rules.   It isn't a gray area here. It is black and white. You don't follow the rule (no matter how much you agree or disagree with it) you either don't play the sport or suffer the consequences of breaking them.
As DC pointed out, the rule states that if the vaulter wears jewelry they are disqualified. PERIOD. Not - oh THIS is an important meet, so the top athletes can do what they want.
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
sandman88 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Baldy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 4:32pm
our 4x50 freestyle relay was disquaifed by a coach after we qualified for Cif because after the race he pointed out to the ref that a member of our team was wearing earrings...some coaches have small nuts
CarsonBoarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 5:00pm
She reminds me of that one REALLY HOT pole vault girl that ended up going to Cal.  Pole Vault girls are hot . . .  Wink
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by CarsonBoarder

She reminds me of that one REALLY HOT pole vault girl that ended up going to Cal.  Pole Vault girls are hot . . .  Wink

Hmm.. I've left it a few hours so someone can bite on this but I guess I'll have to be that guy:

Well then, that hottie can vault my pole any time.
*snare and cymbal crash*

LOL
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 8:57pm
Wow, what a ... yeah, I can't believe it. I feel for her but at the same time, she should have known... I wouldn't have taken away the championship for that though. I don't think... still, so sad!
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
qcages View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 9:18pm
i can understand why they would be concerned about necklaces, for safety reason, but what is a bracelet going to do? That is ridiculous. Props to the girl who ACTUALLY out-performed her competitors!
Jaboogie View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
May 2010 Timberline

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 9:51pm
Lame lame lame,  the vault should have counted. I think a stern warning to the coach and athlete would have been fair.  The opposing coach was just being a sore losing lil bisnatch . Not sure how you could possibly take home a trophy after doing that and feel good about it.Thumbs Down
Justpha View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
candy bars

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 9:54pm
similar thing happened to my school... things like this cheapen sports
Piechar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 9:56pm
even if it was a rule, the girl had rightfully won it, and I don't think the bracelet won it for her. It's a pretty low move on the coaches part. If they had wanted to do that, she should have been told before she went. And I bet that if she had not cleared it, the coach would never had pointed the bracelet out.
http://ride.searchpw.com/refer/iceking
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 10:12pm
that is definitely something. i was from the same league as south pas and monrovia back in hs, that bothers me :\
chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by joness

So you NEVER unintentionally broke a ''rule'' ever in your athletic history joness? I find that one hard to believe.

Of course I've unintentionally broke rules, I NEVER claimed I didn't. But guess what.. I got disqualified for breaking them. Actually, the last time I got DQed in a meet was two years ago. The brainless undergrad timer couldn't figure out something with my entry form so she came to the block to ask me about it (even though it could have waited). When she was asking me the question, they told us to get set. I didn't hear the official's call, and I didn't set, so I got DQed. I lost the overall high point for the meet because of it (and it was in my best event and all I need was to place 5th or better - and I was hands down the best swimmer in the event). It REALLY sucked, but I broke the rule, and I suffered the consequences.

Furthermore, if you won a match/game whatever as a competitor because the other team/person broke a rule you didn't agree with, then you have every right to forfeit, that is your prerogative. But it doesn't mean the other team/competitor shouldn't be penalized for their mistake.

Originally posted by broys

Really Joness?

Yes broys, really.   At the HS level, the officials have a lot of responsibility. I am not sure if you have been to a large track meet, but to get all those athletes together and do a check is a waste of time. The athletes and coaches KNEW the rules (if they didn't A LOT more girls would have been DQed - most of us wear jewelry -bracelets, earring, necklaces etc.). Every other girl followed the rule. Yes, it is a BRACELET, but if it is okay to wear those and get away with it, should they be able to wear earrings? If so, why not rings, anklets etc? Heck, why did they even make that rule? Hell, why did they make any rule?   Where do you stop? Rules are rules are rules are rules.   It isn't a gray area here. It is black and white. You don't follow the rule (no matter how much you agree or disagree with it) you either don't play the sport or suffer the consequences of breaking them.
As DC pointed out, the rule states that if the vaulter wears jewelry they are disqualified. PERIOD. Not - oh THIS is an important meet, so the top athletes can do what they want.

Im gonna say that every HS athlete probably doesnt study the rule book extensively before every event, and if they did, not wearing jewelry probably wouldnt be on their priority list to watch out for. Also, friendship bracelets are the type of thing you just have on all the time, and forget about.

You seem to be pretty firm on the rules that are put into place, and that they should always listen to every rule regardless why its there. Are you saying you should be given a speeding ticket every time you go 26mph in a 25 zone, or 66mph on the freeway?Confused
gmogi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The champion makes his own luck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2010 at 10:16pm
This is wear common sense fails because of the "letter of the law." I don't know why there is a no jewelry rule in competition, I assume to keep the kid away from accessorizing too much and probably don't want jewelry all over the track field and hitting other athletes. Yes, she broke the rule, but the rule wasn't probably implemented from preventing people wearing a friendship bracelet (I might be wrong). If the rule was to prevent people to wear friendship bracelets, then she should have been DQed, but that is a stupid rule in my opinion. If it wasn't the case, then I feel like the officials and the athletic program stole a win away from South Pasadena High.

With sportsmanship, I feel the coach did a horrible thing, now these athletes will know that they didn't deserve the win and have to live with it. It cheapened the win and the sport. Truly an unsportsmanlike move by the coach. 
Lift Op since 12/09 | Ski Bum since 04/10
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:53am
I played high school sports and know that sometimes the school's students can take things into their own hands and I kind of hope that happens with this coach.  It's an unfair way to win, and I'm sure none of the players on the other team even want they win, because they don't deserve it.  The other team beat them...
Just call me Dan
AussieBoarder1983 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 5:13am
dodgy use of the rule there, americans and thier rules...
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 5:25am

Incredible display by the coach, what a loser,  I hope he felt good making the girl cry like that.  His own principal barely even seemed like he wanted to count it as a win, you can't really even celebrate when something like this happens. 

No common sense at all from that man.  What he should have done is gone up to the opposite coach and girl and informed them that he could have optioned the use of that rule but was choosing not to because they had won.  He would have looked like a classy loser instead of a classless winner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>