Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DVags View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Board Locks Actually Work-
    Posted: May/14/2010 at 6:51am
I am considering getting a snowboard lock, but I have heard stories about people being able to break them with their bear hands. Would it be worth it to have to carry around a bike lock for the extra protection or do you think a snowboarding lock would do the trick?
Thanks
coreyfisherman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 6:53am
I would go with the bike lock, but make sure it isn't too long or else it will start to annoy you in that pocket. I would try to find a couple foot long one at walmart or something if I were you.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 6:56am
At my local resort they sell and use the ski key racks, for 20$ it gives you alittle piece of mind, though in any situation, if someone really really wanted your board, they could find one way or another in taking it. I wish my resort would implement some bait program, to deter all the would be thieves. LOL
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 6:56am
A snowboarding lock will prevent a person from just picking up your board and walking away with it like they own it. Most boards are not locked so a theif would probably just go for another board if they see a lock. If they really have a hard on for your board then they would be able to break the lock with some wire cutters, however this is pretty unlikely since people are usually all around the board racks.

I have a lock and I rarely use it because I'm too lazy. I pretty much only use it if I know I'm going to be stopping for a long time or if there are a bunch of us I'll lock all our boards.
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:00am
if your board has a lock on it then a thief probably wouldnt bother with it and go steal another board. if your really worried or if you have a nice board then i would get a thicker lock or a chain.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:04am
We have just used board check in the past but are hoping to pick up a good lock this next year.  I am sick of throwing money away at checking my boards.
Like most people say, if someone wants your board, it doesn't matter where it's located.  They're going to be able to get it.  If they're just looking for a free ride, they'll see the lock and move on.
Anyone have a preferance in the type of lock? Key or combination?
RoseBud View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW kickin my butt

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:04am
^ Definitely agree its not so much about the quality of lock so much as it is just easier to grab one without a lock. 
* Haha I was too slow to post, this was suppose to be pointing at dnbreaks comment! 

I have basic snowboard lock and I use it! My friend left her board at Kirkwood while she went and got lunch and someone snagged it, you hear these stories all the time. . . I would be so pissed at myself if this happened when it could so easily have been deterred!
Like everything else in snowboarding, it's all preference!
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:07am
theivs pick the path of least resistance..having a lock makes your board that much more harder to grab than the next board that's just sitting there...
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:08am
From personal experience, I think a nice snowboard lock would probably be just fine.  As dnbreaks mentioned, locks are really just a theft deterrent as they prevent people from easily walking away with your board.  Most thieves will likely try to go for the quick/easy mark, so a lock on your board will make it riskier/more difficult to steal, encouraging the thief to look elsewhere.  That said, if someone *really* wants your board for whatever reason, neither a snowboard nor bike lock will stop the person - the locks can be cut off, or bindings can be unscrewed, even.
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:09am
Pretty much what everybody else has been saying, if a thief sees a lock theyre more likely to take another board than yours.

I bought a thick bike lock, and at the beginning of the day I lock it to a rack so I dont have to carry it around, then come back unlock it and lock my board up.
bigtshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:10am
I tried to pull apart my lock with my bare hands, and I now think if you see someone that can pull it apart with their bare hands, you should turn around and run the other way.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:11am
Just carry your board with you everywhere.
yodamiked View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:12am
Yah, I've been thinking I should probably invest in a lock. The only peace of mind I have is that there are a lot of way nicer boards than mine sitting out there without locks on them, so I doubt mine would be a thief's first choice.
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:20am
Originally posted by DVags

I am considering getting a snowboard lock, but I have heard stories about people being able to break them with their bear hands. Would it be worth it to have to carry around a bike lock for the extra protection or do you think a snowboarding lock would do the trick?
Thanks

If I had bear hands I think I could easily destroy such a puny lock!

But to be serious, thieves are generally cowards and not that smart so they would go for the easiest target. 
andrethegiant View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:31am
i remember locking my board up and eating and i came out and both were on the ground with a 15 dollar lock
snowboard_ski View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
myphoto

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:33am
I have been using Dakine lock for the past 4 seasons and have no problem with it but I hand carry my vapor everywhere.
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:34am
I've never used a lock, but I never had a nice board until this year.  Even so, I don't think I want to carry a lock we me when I'm on the mountain + I don't usually stop until the mountain closes.
NGremlin! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:40am
Originally posted by richardvoyageur

Originally posted by DVags

Thanks

If I had bear hands I think I could easily destroy such a puny lock!

But to be serious, thieves are generally cowards and not that smart so they would go for the easiest target. 

I'm not so sure. Bears lack opposable thumbs. Maybe if you had gorilla hands?

I agree that locks are mainly to deter people looking for a quick swipe. If someone really wants your board, a lock isn't going to do very much. But it's better to make it just that little bit more difficult for nefarious opportunists by using a lock.
xbrxx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:47am
A snowboard lock is pretty much a deterrent.   Just makes the thief move on to the next easy target.  Kind of like putting a "Protection One" sign outside your house.  They are less likely to break into your house cuz they think you got an alarm.
NeverSummer756 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
I hope to go here when I die... 5 foot blizzard at Sugarbush VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 7:51am
A lock is just another thing to lose on the mountain.. Although it's a pain.. your best bet is to just carry your board around with you
Representing the Jersey snow scene since '93
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 8:32am
Claim that you need to carry the board everywhere for medical reasons. "I'll bleed to death without it!"
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 8:32am
As a general deterrent?  Sure.  If it's a busy Saturday and there's a bazillion skate bananas just sitting out against the racks, a board thief would likely stay away from anything locked down.  If you have something outrageously unique and/or expensive that would present a more tempting target (Method etc) then it might be better to just always keep it in sight.

Board check is cheap at my local resort, so I just go that route.

VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 8:35am
get one of those master locks for bikes.. they are cheap at walmart.. and pretty strong.. although mine only has a 4 number combination on it.. great!
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 8:37am
If someone really, really wants your board they'd find a way to get it. Locked up or not.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 8:40am
yup, it's just a matter of the thief saying... do I want to get the one that has a lock on it,   or just get the one next to it without anything.
Chances are he will take the easier one

All thing in life are stealable... even your sole!

And yes, I meant to spell it like that Wink

- Whenever I go to shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving, so I say, "I'm gonna go shave, too." -
Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 9:07am
I think it really depends on where you are storing your board at. If it is just at the resort not near the parking lot and buy a busy area then the snowboard lock would do the trick because thieves will try and still the ones aren't locked up. If you are leaving it at a non busy area I don' think any lock that ties to bindings then the your board has no chance even with a lock, because they can just take off the bindings and take the board. I would definitely get a lock with a thicker cable then the normal snowboard lock. This is what I have and it works well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250475318434&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=M*F%3F&GUID=37e3cb701250a02663c354c3fffb4c82&itemid=250475318434&ff4=263602_263622
xxa1z4n3xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 9:27am
some of the board locks doesnt seem like it will do the job. i personally have to keep a eye on my board everywhere i go. i think a typically wire cutter can cut through those board locks easily.
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 9:32am
locks deterr theives cuz thats too much work for them to steal. i fiyou dont have a lovk just carry it around or have a buddy look after it
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 9:38am
Damn, you'd need to be such a tramp to steal a board. if you're renting skis and you loose your poles then yea no problem take someone else's who have the same rental ones, but a board...
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
jgoodwin View Drop Down
Local
Local
The landing, uhm. yea

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:33pm
I have been to resorts and heard of folks having there boards stolen, I immediately bought a lock form SS and used it most times I went out. It would suck to have my day ruined because someone stole my board and bindings. I recommend them to anyone.
2010 Ride Yukon - 2010 Sierra Stunt - 2010 Cartels - 2010 Antennas
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:35pm
I would just use board check if the resort has it.  If not, at least a lock will deter thieves and they would just try to steal something easier.
iis2fly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:37pm
I definitely get the board check in at resorts. I think its way worth it to do so just incase anyone wants to be risky and takes a pair of pliers to your lock. Check is only a few bucks at most resorts and totally worth it in my opinion. 
show me your teeth
vanpet View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:47pm
Never been stolen, and hopefully, never will.
If you are trealling with the board, I think the lock comes really heady.
Trevinpendry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Carpet boarding.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:48pm
I just carry my board around, the ladies love it.
Romans 1:16 For I a m not ashamed of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes...
Dirtydragon View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Top oF Tahoe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:49pm
I have a leash that doubles as my board lock.  Bought here on sierra.  I use it to lock my vapor up with three other boards.  Haven't had any problems with it yet.  But i always lock it in a very public place within eyes view of wherever I am going.  I think the bringing a bike lock and storing it on the track at the beginning of the day is a great idea.  but honestly, if people want your board.. all they have to do is unscrew your bindings and your board is history.
thymeria View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:53pm
I have a bike cable lock from walmart. It's about 4ft long and .25in thick and costs about $8. It coils up so it fits in a pocket and weighs almost the same as my cell phone. Really cheap protection.
TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 12:54pm
It goes back to the old saying, "It keeps honest people, honest." If someone wants your board bad enough they could break the lock, but someone most likely will see them cutting/breaking the lock and alert someone. Or if it were me, attack them. Its better safe then sorry, boards are expensive and locks are cheap, be smart!Wink
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

whether they work or not, this thread prompted me to buy some...only $5 on sale at sierra...thanks guys!
Rylab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

One more vote for a thicker bike lock, I use one w/ a combination. Just lock it to an unoccupied corner of a rack when you get there so you don't have to carry it around.
'10 Reverse Crew 151 + Sierra Contact SL
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 1:11pm
Most of the locks that i've seen at the resorts can easily be cut with a light duty pliers.  If you really do care about the board that much, bring it with you like I do.  Just gotta ignore some "No Skiis/Snowboards Beyond this Point" signs.
incompetentuser View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 1:15pm
If someone really wants to, they can break the lock, but locking your board is a 'strong deterrent'.

If you just need something to hold your board while you get lunch or a couple beers then yes. Obviously it's better in a busy area.
xbrxx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 2:31pm
If your to cheap to buy a lock, another way to prevent theft is to put your board next to more expensive boards that aren't locked.  Just find that Vapor w/ c02s and put your stuff right next to it.  His stuff will be stolen before yours will be LOL.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 3:56pm
ehhe thats a good idea putting next to a expensive board..

do people say anything when they are walking around the snow fields with 2 boards?
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Rylab

One more vote for a thicker bike lock, I use one w/ a combination. Just lock it to an unoccupied corner of a rack when you get there so you don't have to carry it around.

That does mean always stopping at the same place...not sure it's really feasible on a bigger mountain
Rylab View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by classic_ben

That does mean always stopping at the same place...not sure it's really feasible on a bigger mountain

No, I do also carry it around in my pocket sometimes, but I usually know the first place we're gonna meet up for lunch or whatever and leave my lock on a rack there for the morning... then go leave it on the rack at the base lodge after lunch so I can chill for awhile without worrying before leaving for the day.
'10 Reverse Crew 151 + Sierra Contact SL
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:06pm

Originally posted by classic_ben

No, I do also carry it around in my pocket sometimes, but I usually know the first place we're gonna meet up for lunch or whatever and leave my lock on a rack there for the morning... then go leave it on the rack at the base lodge after lunch so I can chill for awhile without worrying before leaving for the day.

How do you find the weight when you're riding with it? Where (pants/jacket/elsewhere) do you keep it?
JonZap View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:13pm

I have used a bike lock in previous years but only ever had it on myself once, it was very uncomfortable! For this season I've purchased a key lock from Sierra, it doesn't look strong but it is to deter a thief. If a thief wants it, they will get it.

Jago View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and me sista

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:48pm
As said above, a board lock will most likely deter thieves since they just wanna grab a board and go.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:50pm
where do you even lock it? i don't even understand what part of your board you can lock?
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2010 at 4:50pm
We use a standard bike lock and can lock up three boards packed close to each other with the one lock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>