Topic ClosedGosh that oil spill..

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 14>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
l1sproductions916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gosh that oil spill..
    Posted: May/16/2010 at 8:58am
when r they gonna get it fixed..messing a lot of things up down there..
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:17am
The only reason it's not already fixed is because they are trying to find the cheapest way to do it. They could have poured money at the problem and stopped the leak already. They are doing way too much consulting and estimating and not enough doing.

<<<<<Works for a company that build oil storage tanks. Could have had a crew of 50+ men down there 5 days after it happened assembling a LARGE solution. (not some female genitals dick tube to stick inside the hole)

Fucking bullshit if you ask me.
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:34am
I'm surprised the price of oil continues to fall even with this debacle on hand.
Dooley View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:37am
prices of oil isnt falling here.. 93 is up to 3.17 here in Northern virginia
Burton Elite 158 (2008) || Burton Missons (2008) || GNU Park Pickle 153 (2010) || Forum TK Destroyer (2009) || Union Force SL (2009)
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:37am
It won't for long.
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:43am
Well, the price of crude keeps coming down.  But yeah your right it probably won't be for long.
MrsCanes511 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 10:16am
Oil is going up here....in Tampa. I feel bad for the families that plan their Florida vacation for years, and it just happens to be now when our beaches are nasty. It sucks. They are also finding a lot of dead sea creatures, including dolphins!! =(
TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 10:18am
Is it just me or is this idea of putting a giant sphere over the leak sound a bit like a cartoon?
Stoked426 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 10:19am
Yeah its pretty ridiculous.  All of the methods they've tried seem very fair fetched. 
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 10:33am
its already too late...the long term environmental effects are starting to show. gonna turn into a dead zone.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 2:13pm
its a sad story and great impact to our oceans
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 4:06pm
Thats why off shore drilling isn't worth it.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Gester87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:07pm
They are definitely taking their sweet time, anyone seen the video of the broken pipe leak? It looks horrible. I can't believe them just switching blame among the group of companies. It's leaking and animals are dying. They need to fix this and repay for the damages.
iis2fly View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:24pm
Sigh, the lame thing is that Rush Limbaugh said publicly that we don't need to do anything about the spill b/c the ocean will take care of it. Oil is natural and nature will naturally take care of it. WTF Limbaugh. Fat slob
show me your teeth
Scott303 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:33pm
you guys do know the a lot more oil comes out of the ocean floor naturaly then this spill did evey year, the world is not going to end, fish and bird will survive. Yes this is not a good thing this happend but would you rather have the US with all our technology drill off shore from us or third world countries with crap technology drilling and making mistakes?
sandman88 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Baldy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:35pm
just discovered oil plumes that can kill the underwater ecosystem,,,gulf is done
pepers215 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:44pm
It's a great reason for them to raise the gas prices for summer. We will end up paying for it one way or another.
jonpittock View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 7:46pm
im happy to pay for it as long as they hurry up and fix the damn thing
southernsoul View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 8:01pm
the spill is an unfortunate and costly reminder that our reliance on oil and oil based products can have horrific side effects, in this case whole eco system could crash, society must elviate its dependence on oil.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by southernsoul

the spill is an unfortunate and costly reminder that our reliance on oil and oil based products can have horrific side effects, in this case whole eco system could crash, society must elviate its dependence on oil.

True dat!!.. My dad just got a Toyota Prius, and I am seriously considering trading in my gas guzzling S4 for one.  
Durugon2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 9:54pm
when your rich, your priorities are different.

I can't say that if given a choice between a new lamborghini or fixing the oil spill, I'd fix the oil spill. Especially if i wasnt going to be held accountable for it.

Its just reality. It sucks,

this is why its important to be rich someday. unfortunately I accept that I never will
reported for reporting
gmogi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The champion makes his own luck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2010 at 11:26pm
Probably hoping nature will take care of itself so they don't waste a dime on it.
Why clean up something that isn't going to make you money?
Lift Op since 12/09 | Ski Bum since 04/10
snowboardJoffa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 1:39am
its wierd that they didn't stop it so far. wonder when they will stop it, and wonder how much money it will cost not only to stop the leak but also to clean up the infected areas.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 3:27am
Originally posted by gmogi

Probably hoping nature will take care of itself so they don't waste a dime on it.
Why clean up something that isn't going to make you money?

Unfortunately that probably won't be the case, I saw a news story about the oil spill in Alaska in 1990 and the effects of that spill can still be found today.  There's only so much Mother nature can do to regain equilibrium.

It really boggles my mind that after this long and all the oil that's been leaking that money is still the issue.  Someone needs to step and do the right thing.  As an engineer I've always been taught Ethics first especially when it comes to safety, apparently that's not the case with these oil companies.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 4:12am
DRILL BABY DRILL
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 4:27am
They need to start fining the hell out of these companies to force them to fix this crap ASAP when it happens instead of messing around and letting them continue to pollute our enviroment so they can find the most cost effective way to fix it. Get in there and get it fixed people, we have one earth, let's try to pretend we care past our own generation.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 4:33am
Did anybody catch 60 Minutes last night? They laid the case that the explosion that killed 11 workers and resulted in the oil spill was caused by gross negligence by BP. Futhermore they had a whistle blower from BP saying that they're committing the same unsafe practices at other bigger gulf rigs which could lead to even bigger disasters. BP's liability is limited at $75 million (good one Congress) which is a pittance, the real price tag for this disaster is probably going to be more than 1000x that.
trosy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 4:43am
Originally posted by TahoeDreamin

Is it just me or is this idea of putting a giant sphere over the leak sound a bit like a cartoon?

Did you see SNL this weekend?  They did an awesome spoof of BP, halliburton & transocean..

Unfortunately the damage will be felt for many years to come in the gulf coast communities.  I'm glad BP's president is taking such a serious stand on what going on:

Don't worry about that pesky oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, BP CEO Tony Hayward says: It's "relatively tiny" compared to the "very big ocean."

I wonder if he would be saying the same thing if it was an oil rig off of Britain's coast?
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 6:11am
SNL hits the nail on the head sometime. "Don't worry, whatever the plan, rest assured that Hallaburton will make a profit off of it."
sweetjillian107 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:22am
We live in an oil driven society.  I try to ride my Vespa to work in the summer as much as possible (90 miles per gallon).
I live on the Gulf Coast in Florida where we have sugar white beaches.  We have been lucky and no oil has hit our shore yet.  Looks like the oil is only a few miles from the loop that will carry it to the Keys.

eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:26am
oh, and didnt you hear...oil is natural, and more oil leaks from the ocean floor naturally then is leaking in this spill, lol until i get sick. that DICK cheney!
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Online
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:28am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

oh, and didnt you hear...oil is natural, and more oil leaks from the ocean floor naturally then is leaking in this spill, lol until i get sick. that DICK cheney!

I heard about that. They'll say just about anything at this point.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:39am
I was watching the news right after they tried plan A (which failed), and the newscaster followed up the story with a comment like, wonder how you can help? Send money here.  This is all BP.  They should be the one fixing it.  They are still having banner profits from the price of gas skyrocketing and they have yet to fix the problem.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:47am
doesn't human hair soak up oil?
I thought I read that in like HS or something.  Not that it would stop the spilling, but at least cleaning up parts
They'd need like 4.5 billion people to cut their hair... but IT JUST MIGHT WORK! Clap

- Whenever I go to shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving, so I say, "I'm gonna go shave, too." -
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 8:51am

Looks like BP finally has a plan that's working.  They have a mile long tube siphoning the leak on to a ship.  Seems like this is a short term fix but at this point anything that works is better than nothing.  Maybe I'm underestimating the complexity of the siphoning tube but it sounds like this should have been the initial plan all along to give them time to devise a better solution.
trosy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Snowguy7

doesn't human hair soak up oil?
I thought I read that in like HS or something.  Not that it would stop the spilling, but at least cleaning up parts
They'd need like 4.5 billion people to cut their hair... but IT JUST MIGHT WORK! Clap

yeah, it does.  they weave the hair into mats or stuff it into nylon stockings & use it to isolate the oil.  There's a group called http://www.matteroftrust.org/ that collects donated hair to make these.  I believe they also use wool & pet hair too.

dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 10:02am
BP is funneling some of the oil to a tanker on the surface. They say they are capturing about 1000 barrels a day or about 20% of a leak (if you trust the official estimates of the size of the leak).
trosy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 10:12am
Originally posted by dnbreaks

BP is funneling some of the oil to a tanker on the surface. They say they are capturing about 1000 barrels a day or about 20% of a leak (if you trust the official estimates of the size of the leak).

Yeah, just read this too.  Twenty percent, really.. that just leaves 80% of it floating out to sea.  Like you eluded to, twenty is probably a vast over estimate.

did you see that new article about BP's safety violation issues:
A Washington-based research group says two BP refineries in the U.S. account for 97 percent of "egregious willful" violations given by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 10:35am
This is gross. I could care less how much oil is naturally, GRADUALLY, leaked into Earth's ocean without human induction. Someone referenced the Valdez spill of the 1990s (Exxon), one of the worst environmental disasters of the last 30 years. The current leak in the gulf is estimated to be spilling 1/4 of the volume of oil of the entire Exxon Valdez spill daily (that is, 1 spill the size of the Valdez every 4 days). Lets sit on our hands and think about a solution before anything is done.

Gross neglagence or not, this is an environmental disaster that GREATLY exceeds the natural leakage of oil from our ocean floors. There will no doubt be significant environmental consequences for the rest of my life in the gulf. Not to mention, Earth has never seen a spill this vast.

I put little faith it BP paying anything close to what it will take to remedie the environmental and economical consequences of this disaster. Side note: 20 years later Exxon has still not paid claims in full to those in Valdez, Alaska.

bigtshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 10:40am
If they totally stop it, they don't get the oil -- interesting that all the "solutions" entail ways to pump that oil into tankers where it can be refined and resold.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 10:47am
sign a petition against BP and supporting corporate responsibility: http://www.fuckbp.net/
be talkin to ya
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 10:54am
^^nice, thanks for this. Everyone should have a look. Worst case, maybe BP will change their name again, or develop another misleading campaign about environmental responsibility. At best, maybe they will realize that this is something that is very important to a lot of people, and hopefully get their act together.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 11:37am
It's probably my hippie eco-guilt that naturally comes from living in Portland talking, but in a way, everyone that chooses to rely on fossil fuels as part of their daily lives is complicit in this.  BP wouldn't be out there trying to find cheap ways to drill for oil offshore if there wasn't demand for it here.
HobbesDeeTiger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Marumm

It's probably my hippie eco-guilt that naturally comes from living in Portland talking, but in a way, everyone that chooses to rely on fossil fuels as part of their daily lives is complicit in this.  BP wouldn't be out there trying to find cheap ways to drill for oil offshore if there wasn't demand for it here.

While you make a interesting point, it's pretty impossible these days to NOT rely on fossil fuels.  Unless you can create your own garden/food, work within biking/walking distance, it is impossible.  Everything we buy in stores is transported with fossil fuels.  But we can all try to use a little less, or develop alternative energy sources.
craigalicious View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 1:31pm
to everyone who thinks it will take care of itself:

did you forget about hurricane season?  if this isn't cleaned up by then, animals and wildlife won't be the only thing covered in oil.

michelleee View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 2:02pm
I came across a few pictures of the spill earlier. I didn't realize how big it was until I saw these!

This NASA Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) Terra satellite image Captured May 10, 2010 shows a close up view of a massive oil slick (right) in the Gulf of Mexico as it continued spreading moving perilously close to shore, near Louisiana. The massive oil spill bearing down on Louisiana's fragile coast wetlands comes at the worst time for untold numbers of nesting birds and spawning fish whose young are most vulnerable to the toxic sludge. Nearly all migratory birds in the Western Hemisphere stop over in the marshes surrounding the mouth of the Mississippi river and tens of thousands are currently guarding eggs laid along the shores.
8:44 a.m. ET, 5/11/10

The oil slick appears as a dull gray on the water's surface and stretches south from the Mississippi Delta with what looks like a tail.
5:17 p.m. ET, 5/17/10

RAAB is a jerk.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by HobbesDeeTiger

Originally posted by Marumm

While you make a interesting point, it's pretty impossible these days to NOT rely on fossil fuels.  Unless you can create your own garden/food, work within biking/walking distance, it is impossible.  Everything we buy in stores is transported with fossil fuels.  But we can all try to use a little less, or develop alternative energy sources.

We're pretty much ALL to blame, from the world leaders at the top to the scientific community to everyday drivers.  We became completely complacent with how we viewed energy and pollution now we're in a mad scramble to look for alternate resources.  Even with some of the more efficient cars (Prius and other hybrids) the solution is short-term, if I'm not mistaken a lot of the batteries being used aren't exactly eco-friendly.  How are we going to dispose of them once they're unusable?  We're surrounded by brilliants minds all over the world that can make a difference but unfortunately it always comes down to dollars and cents.  Future generations should learn from this and understand that you must invest in the future.  
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 2:22pm
dont throw me in with everyone else! How dare you! this is absolutely not my responsibility in any way, even if i am going to have to pay for it. This is certain leaders in our government and BP, halliburton, and transocean's fault!
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 2:29pm
every time a see a seal or another animal with oil all over it, it just makes me sick
dongdennis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2010 at 2:54pm
The amount of environmental damage humans can do is horrid, it was unbelievable that further safety precautions were not put in place. BP had finally succeeded in inserting a mile long, 4 inch wide tube, only siphoning off a little more than a thousand barrels a day.  It isn't enough, but atleast its a start.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>