Topic ClosedGosh that oil spill..

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 11121314>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gosh that oil spill..
    Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 4:34am

They're awaiting to see what the effect of the new cap is (if any).

Also, agree with infinity, no point speculating. a BOP is designed to do just that. Everyone is just waiting for the causality report now.

BP plans to begin tests by midday on the new cap over the Gulf of Mexico oil leak and should know within two days if it can hold back the gushing crude.

Kent Wells, a senior vice president at the oil giant, made no promises in a Tuesday morning news briefing about whether the cap will work.

BP will stop siphoning oil to two ships and then close valves in the cap to see if all the oil stays inside.

Wells cautioned there was no way to know yet how well the cap will work and added that this is "not simple stuff."

If all goes well, no oil will be leaking into the Gulf. The cap may monitored for as long as 48 hours.

If it doesn't keep the oil in, BP will resume piping oil to collection ships, a move that could include putting another cap on top of the current one.

oferperry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 4:36am
It's probably a good thing that they invest in them. I don't think they are backing them up, they are simply making an investment. The company is not evil, it is simply not resposible. I don't think it is anybody's interest that the company will go bankrupt
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 5:33am
Originally posted by oferperry

The company is not evil, it is simply not resposible.

If they weren't a responsible company do you think they would be expending so many resources as they are?

They are surely going to take a huge hit due to this spill, but you're right that no one wants to see them go down. They're too large a corporation that employs too many people to see them go under. They might split up a bit, but I doubt they'll disappear.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2010 at 6:17am
its not just the people they employ though, it is also people who have their stock depending on the dividend payments.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 4:42am
Originally posted by pyrotechnics

its not just the people they employ though, it is also people who have their stock depending on the dividend payments.

on the plus side, the clean up effort will employ a lot of people.  There are already companies who are scoring huge contracts related to this oil spill.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 6:05am
Originally posted by mech9t5

There are already companies who are scoring huge contracts related to this oil spill.

Is Haliburton one of them? They always seem to weasel their way into these huge contracts. Actually, I believe it was their concrete plug that originally failed in the first place. I think that's what jammed the BOP stack.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 8:37am
Kinda find it interesting that nobody seems to talk about the fact that BP is not the sole owner of that well, nor the sole contractor who hired Transocean to do the pumping.

Furthermore, the other two owners of the well have refused to spend one dollar on cleanup efforts and BP is about to file suit against them.  There are two other companies who own percentages of it. 

Charb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 11:24am
let's see what the cap that BP installed will do. personally, i think it's all bullshit. bp has no clue on what to do or how to fix it.
incompetentuser View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 11:31am
I agree, Charb. Until they prove otherwise, I assume they're going to be just as unsuccessful as before.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2010 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Charb

let's see what the cap that BP installed will do. personally, i think it's all bullshit. bp has no clue on what to do or how to fix it.

They do know how to fix it, that's why they're drilling two relief wells right now. They're trying anything they can to stop the leak no matter how unlikely it is to stop the leak. They want to stop the outcry as much as I do.

People constantly fail to realize that this is unknown territory, so there's no way to know what will and what won't work. This scenario has never occurred at these depths before, so right now they're just testing theories until one proves successful. I doubt this new plug will work as well, but I'm not going to piss and moan about it.
Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:03am

everyone is just going to have to hope for the best on this one. short of nuking it...i think they dont have anymore plans.

goofy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:06am
does anyone know if it is coming up the east coast towards jersey... I'm hoping it goes out before it comes up.  There was just a great white at my beach the other day.  My assumption is because of the oil spill pushing all the animals up north.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:10am
Originally posted by goofy

does anyone know if it is coming up the east coast towards jersey... I'm hoping it goes out before it comes up.  There was just a great white at my beach the other day.  My assumption is because of the oil spill pushing all the animals up north.

You can track the spill on Google Maps.

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/oilspill/
Snow Day Colorado

HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:37am
Has anyone heard if the new cap is holding?  I haven't seen anything recently.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:43am
the cap is jus a ploy so BP can disguise the true amount of oil being released so they can avoid the huge penalties that are coming their way. the only hope are the two relief wells.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 10:54am

Heading down to Destin, FL tonight. I'll get on here tomorrow and let everyone know if BP and Kevin Costner have made any progress. Can't wait to wake up and go for a jog on an oily beach! I guess it can't be worse than spring break in Panama City Beach!

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 11:20am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

the cap is jus a ploy so BP can disguise the true amount of oil being released so they can avoid the huge penalties that are coming their way. the only hope are the two relief wells.

They'll be facing all kinds of crap regardless of your conspiracy theories. With that said, we already know BP has severely underestimated the amount of oil leaking. They'll be able to weasel their way out though.
Snow Day Colorado

rock1356 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 2:35pm

Trust me even if this cap is a ploy like you said.  They will still will have to pay and pay they will.  They are being forced to sell assets rights now to fund a 20 billion dollar fund for clean up.  So this should be interesting.  I am happy that the cap is in place but the oil already released will have some long term effects.

One benefit I guess would be that it will stop if not wipe out the commercial fishing in the region. 
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 2:45pm
how the crap is wiping out commercial fishing a benefit? That's a lot of people's jobs.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 2:48pm
i just hope this new cap can hold, that would help things recover soo much quicker if they are able to keep it anymore from coming out
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 5:43pm
Supposedly its holding.  They temporarily stopped drilling the relief wells to check pressures etc.  But looks like its gonna work, for now at least.
KellyBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 7:15pm
Finally they getting something done. Hopefully nothing else explode.
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2010 at 8:10pm
I saw that new cap.  What a brilliant idea.  doi.
kitcho4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 1:01am
good to hear that that new cap is working, still going to take a few weeks for them to drill down to seal it completely, but the major job is clean up this mess, which will take years :(
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 5:03am
i don't understand why it took this long to get a cap in place.  I just hope they take extra precautions to make sure the cap doesn't break.  At least it is finally capped and they can start to repair the environmental damage.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by kitcho4

good to hear that that new cap is working, still going to take a few weeks for them to drill down to seal it completely, but the major job is clean up this mess, which will take centuries :(

FIXED.......

started by flossers making floss for flossers
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 5:18am
that cap thing looked REALLYL easy -- why we didn't do that about 2 months ago ???  Anyway like lots of people I am VERY pissed off at the oil companies.  Oh well, now I'm going to jump in m SUV and drive to work !!!

-b
$capita1$ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 5:31am
I feel the same way as bryman...oil companies should be prepared for these types of situations...if they are able to drill the hole, they should be able to cap it as well...lets just hope that this cap holds up now
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 6:14am
so they finally temp fixed it. NOT perm though just so everyone knows. lets just hope the pressure doesnt break another part of the system and require another 3 months to fix
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:23am
oops, guess the caps holding...but now its probably leaking somewhere else...what a great fix.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:29am

oops, guess the caps holding...but now its probably leaking somewhere else...what a great fix.

Way to be positive... You don't even know if there's a leak elsewhere and yet you're calling it a terrible fix.

It sounds like you're looking for an excuse to complain about something.
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:31am
experts say that with the pressure being so low, in all likelyhood, the cap has caused leaks elsewhere in the casing. This situation doesnt deserve to be looked at in a positive light.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:32am

This situation doesnt deserve to be looked at in a positive light.

I agree, but have some faith man.
Snow Day Colorado

IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Superorb

Way to be positive... You don't even know if there's a leak elsewhere and yet you're calling it a terrible fix.It sounds like you're looking for an excuse to complain about something.
How the shtook can anyone be positive when we had an 3? 4? month. however long oil spill/ leak, right into the golf of mexico. Lets be real here, the golf is shtooked for life, or pretty damn close to it.
andreww View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:41am
BP's stock is making a comeback
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:45am
Was this posted?
Sorry if it was.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 10:06am
Originally posted by IceCoast

How the shtook can anyone be positive when we had an 3? 4? month. however long oil spill/ leak, right into the golf of mexico. Lets be real here, the golf is shtooked for life, or pretty damn close to it.

First of all, it's called the Gulf, not the golf. Secondly, what will being negative all the time accomplish?
Snow Day Colorado

IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 10:27am
Lol my bad, thats what i get for not rereading my post.
What will being positive get us? Becuase we all know that Oil isnt going anywhere anytime soon.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 10:33am
Originally posted by IceCoast

Lol my bad, thats what i get for not rereading my post.
What will being positive get us? Becuase we all know that Oil isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

Not much, but being negative will just depress everyone even more than they already are. And we all know how productive depressed people are.
Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by andreww

always reactive to news...but doesnt change the fact that they will spend an untold fortune to fix this...
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by pyrotechnics

Originally posted by andreww

but doesnt change the fact that they will spend an untold fortune to fix this...

Which means no (or reduced) dividends for investors.
Snow Day Colorado

rock1356 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2010 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by zabisket

i just hope this new cap can hold, that would help things recover soo much quicker if they are able to keep it anymore from coming out

Because commercial fishing is crap.  Its not like an enclosed system like raising cattle were you know how many heads of cattle come in, how many you raise and feed, and what you sell to the slaughter.  Fishing on the other hand has the assumption that nature will some how be able to manage to keep the live stock a float on its own regardless of how much is taken or not by the fishing industry.  There are a lot of species on the brink because of the way they are fished.  Considering there are no international laws or quotas even if one nation is responsible that doesn't stop another nation from raping the stock.  Look at the Japanese ships that just drop net and pull up everything and anything in the pacific. 

I don't have an issue with individuals fishing or fish farms.  But the assumption that we can run realistic quotas and at the same time assume that nature will some how many to continue to replenish itself is nuts. 
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 9:02am
Here in Destin, FL the beach looks good. The state has teams patrolling the beach around the clock in effort of the cleanup. I'm sure the damage here is minor in comparison to beaches further west. The good news is some progress is finally being made. Hopefully this is beginning of the end of this mess.
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 9:20am
according to ap news, the mystery cap might have been designed by a plumber - of all people.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by working

according to ap news, the mystery cap might have been designed by a plumber - of all people.

A plumber designed the new cap and Kevin Costner is leading the cleanup. Too much.Wink
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 6:16am
Originally posted by mrrorydigital

Hopefully this is beginning of the end of this mess.

I'd call it the end of the beginning. Now we can only hope that they can successfully drill the relief wells without issue.
Snow Day Colorado

bogger3333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 6:21am
there is always somethign wrong and it was even worse that it happened to BP cuz t hey don't do anything its ridiculous
bogger3333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 6:22am
Seriously the only thing you could do is have everyone refuse to buy gas from BP and well u know thats not gonna happen. that entire area is ruined not like it was that great before but wow seriously nice shtooking job
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 6:36am
Originally posted by bogger3333

there is always somethign wrong and it was even worse that it happened to BP cuz t hey don't do anything its ridiculous

What the hell are you talking about?
Snow Day Colorado

NickinChicago View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Halloween

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 7:27am
I'm pretty sure he doesn't even know what he is trying to say. Just go with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>