Topic ClosedGosh that oil spill..

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 14>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
l1sproductions916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gosh that oil spill..
    Posted: May/17/2010 at 6:55pm
yep the spill is huge..
and huricane season almost here = even worse
skron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 3:39am
What a clusterf#*k. It makes me sick to my stomach that something is allowed to happen...
noobert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 4:55am
as an engineer, im ashamed.  hearing all these lame attempts to contain the situation are ridiculous.  they're totally trying to overengineer this thing when all it could take is just a little hay (kind of goes in line with using human hair that someone mentioned earlier)

classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 5:18am
Originally posted by noobert

as an engineer, im ashamed.  hearing all these lame attempts to contain the situation are ridiculous.  they're totally trying to overengineer this thing when all it could take is just a little hay (kind of goes in line with using human hair that someone mentioned earlier)

But at the end of the day, it's always going to need a complex piece of engineering to stop the leak...and we might want hay for other things Wink
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 5:20am
I've wondered if a giant explosion might seal the hole.   It seems like there should be enough dirt to stop the leak.
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 5:25am
Originally posted by not-ewrx

I've wondered if a giant explosion might seal the hole.   It seems like there should be enough dirt to stop the leak.

Yeah it might seal the hole or make it a hell of a lot bigger. The thing is that they still want to recover the oil down there so even if that was an option they probably wouldn't explore it.

Current law limits BP's liability to $75 million (unless they are found negligent which they probably were but that would need to be proven in court). $75 million is nothing to BP who posted a $6 billion profit in Q1 alone. Congress is trying to increase the liability limit to $10 billion. Please sign this petition to support that increase:

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/action/oceans/bp-pay?id4=es
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 5:41am
Originally posted by dnbreaks

Originally posted by not-ewrx

Yeah it might seal the hole or make it a hell of a lot bigger. The thing is that they still want to recover the oil down there so even if that was an option they probably wouldn't explore it.

Current law limits BP's liability to $75 million (unless they are found negligent which they probably were but that would need to be proven in court). $75 million is nothing to BP who posted a $6 billion profit in Q1 alone. Congress is trying to increase the liability limit to $10 billion. Please sign this petition to support that increase:

http://www.environmentcalifornia.org/action/oceans/bp-pay?id4=es

thing with that though is that hay is used for other purpose to substain life (cow w/e) that are more important to our society. and true it may work, but look how much hay they actually needed to use to contain that bowl of oil. now considering how it was in the xxx acres, that would mean a huge amount of hay that would be wasted, then would come how to dispose and repick it up
incompetentuser View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 5:41am
The spill is bad enough but the recovery 'efforts' are Fing embarrassing!
bgilboards View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Catamount

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 6:06am
our dependency on oil, to the point where we need to be drilling offshore is ridiculous. We would by now have vehicles running on hydro power if it weren't for car manufacturing companies buying the ideas and throwing them in the trash just so that they could make more money on crude oil.
Skicks35 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 6:23am

I just read that one of BP's ways to stop the leak (now that it's somewhat contained) is to use heavy mud, golf balls, rope with knots tied into it, pieces of metal, and other junk.  With all the engineering know-how at BP, I find it very hard to believe that this is the absolute best way to stop the leak.  Cheapest solution?  probably.  Anybody else hear about this?

millerman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 6:36am
This leak is horrible and i heard it will eventually make its way to the east coast which is going to be very bad if it does.  I live in NJ nd im not looking forward to surfing with oil in the ocean
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Skicks35

I just read that one of BP's ways to stop the leak (now that it's somewhat contained) is to use heavy mud, golf balls, rope with knots tied into it, pieces of metal, and other junk.  With all the engineering know-how at BP, I find it very hard to believe that this is the absolute best way to stop the leak.  Cheapest solution?  probably.  Anybody else hear about this?

Sounds like they have MacGuyver working for them.  Anyone have a roll of duct tape and a leatherman, let's go!!!
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:29am
Somewhat contained? So now we have a cluster f**k of oily garbage down there too?
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
trosy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:32am
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Sounds like they have MacGuyver working for them.  Anyone have a roll of duct tape and a leatherman, let's go!!!

More like McGruber than McGuyver Wink.  Not sure if folks have seen this, but they just announced that ~20% of the Gulf has now been closed to fishing.  Although we talked a bit about the leaking oil, something I've been wondering and worrying about is the chemical dispersants that they are currently using on the oil.  I wonder how much damage this will actually do the ocean life.  I don't see myself eating anything coming from the gulf for a while.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:43am
can sign a petition against BP at www.fuckbp.net
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:49am
Originally posted by noobert

A little hay?

I just read a report that an observation vessel located an oil plume that was 10 miles X 3 miles x 300 ft. That's more then a little hay...

I'm here for the gangbang....
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:53am
Originally posted by trosy

Originally posted by EpicFAIL

More like McGruber than McGuyver Wink.  Not sure if folks have seen this, but they just announced that ~20% of the Gulf has now been closed to fishing.  Although we talked a bit about the leaking oil, something I've been wondering and worrying about is the chemical dispersants that they are currently using on the oil.  I wonder how much damage this will actually do the ocean life.  I don't see myself eating anything coming from the gulf for a while.

The chemical dispersant is pretty toxic.
I heard one of the marine biologists talking about that the other day. He said basically when you have a situation like this, no matter what you do some part of the eco system is going to be destroyed. You basically have to make a judgement call about what part of the environment you're going to try and protect, and which one you're going to allow to be destroyed - and go from there.

The problem I have with that - is the chemicals only deal with the oil on the surface - not the stuff that's deep within the gulf. So now you're dumping chemicals on top of the water - but you're not doing anything to actually deal with the oil deep under the surface. That's the stuff that's going to spread through the currents and cause most of the problems.

Nobody really has a lot of experience with deep oil leaks like this - and it shows. They don't seem to know wtf to do.

determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 8:59am
Seems like  would be in their best interest to fix that crap asap.

I wouldn't doubt they are losing dough everyday that the leak goes on.

noobert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 9:10am
Originally posted by myke

A little hay?

I just read a report that an observation vessel located an oil plume that was 10 miles X 3 miles x 300 ft. That's more then a little hay...

maybe i wasnt as clear about what i was getting at.  sure it'd take a lot of hay, but i figured the engineers should be able to come up with some sort of netting that they could just dredge around in the ocean soaking up the oil.  then wash it out somehow (oil could still be salvaged probably) and reuse like a sponge.

and besides that, i just wanted to segue into that video somehow haha

if we really want to get into it, i know there are definitely better ways to solve this than what we've been hearing from bp.  on the other hand, i know they're in a time crunch.  a friend of mine works for halliburton and hes been cranking at work nonstop for the past couple weeks (although hes a programmer mostly).  im sure theyre getting desperate for something.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 10:00am
Raising the liability cap is definitely a no-brainer.

I support the idea of a robust corporate death penalty for the more egregious offenders.  If corporations want to have the full rights of individuals, including freedom of speech (per our recent Supreme Court), then I think it fair that an adequate system of punishment exists as well.
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 10:12am
http://www.mayerthorpefreelancer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1676332

(this link is kinda boring, just an article)

On the note of neat engineering solutions for collecting spilled oil; I met these guys at a trade show about a year ago. Basically, used rubber tires are ground down, and the fibers within the tires are excellent at absorbing loose oil. They can be rung out, reused, and some oil can be salvaged. Neat thing is once the tires have absorbed all they can, they are formed into light, STRONG, concrete-esque bricks. Kind of a neat idea, taking waste tires to clean up an environmental disaster, and using the end product in construction.

Reguardless, this spill is already far to large for any realistic attempt to collect the loose oil. Best efforts will be to control the leak before it gets too much bigger, and the current salvage of %20 a day is feeble at best. BP pisses $75 million; I am all for a "robust corporate death penalty" as well...^^^

...looks like we are gonna see that spill move past the keys up the East Coast too. Poor American fisheries...
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 11:01am
now they are finding tar...wonder where that came from. also traveling and spreading even further while those guys try to "contain" this mess... we're screwed.
SophieA View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 11:31am
Ban offshore oil drilling and live like we used to befor we became so dependant...
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 11:46am
sophiea. that is impossible. youre telling me that you dont use a car, you dont shop at any chain stores, you dont shop at a supermarket chain, you don't eat at chain restaurants? about 90% of companies worldwide depend on fossil fuels for transporation and shipping. offshore drilling is a huge source of energy for today's society to funciton.
stehoul199 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 11:49am
they should have never started drilling there. it was only a matter of time something like this would happen. they should have had a better emergency plan. BP doesnt seem to understand the seriousness of the issue. there is a lot of wildlife dying everyday because of the spill and it will only get worse once it reaches the reefs around the keys. 
noobert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 12:51pm
i think a huge issue here is why oil clean up tech and procedures haven't evolved in the 20 years since the exxon valdez spill.  granted, this spill shouldn't have even happened in the first place, but since it did, they should have been able to contain and clean it up before it got too big.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 12:57pm
should we not eat seafood
my mom says im hardcore
kjdsider View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 12:59pm
one of the few good things arnold did was to scrap his plan for oil digging off cali
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 1:03pm
everyone get their hair cut and send it out there..lets all do our bit
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 3:38pm
Yeah it is going to be a while before they stop it. I mean it is 5000 feet deep which is pitch black and just above freezing.  
trosy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2010 at 3:39pm
Rush limbaugh makes me laugh.  Not sure if folks heard his latest comments on the oil spill.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/18/rush-limbaugh-audio-when_n_580139.html

Essentially, he wants the sierra club, you know the folks who try to protect the environment, to foot part of the bill. lol.

hey Myke, thanks for the comment on the dispersant.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 4:27pm
it seems all they do is blame one another when something like this happens..
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 4:35pm
Don't worry all the oil would just be dumped into the ocean sooner or later in the form of plastic and oil runoff anyway.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by pyrotechnics

now they are finding tar...wonder where that came from. also traveling and spreading even further while those guys try to "contain" this mess... we're screwed.

They've already found tar in the florida keys.

Once this oil starts really getting going in the currents - it's over. It'll travel up the east coast. If they can keep it contained they can buy some time - but once a current gets it - it's game over.

dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 6:17am

There's an interesting tool at the bottom of the article that shows how the leak has slowly spread from day 1 to what it looks like currently.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2010 at 12:45pm
nice tool
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 4:56am
http://globalwarming.house.gov/spillcam

Live streaming Webcam 5000 ft below the surface showing the actual leak.

Looks like the siphoning tube has started to lose its effectiveness, starting to suck up the oil at a much slower rate compared to when the tube was first implemented. 
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 5:08am
Originally posted by dlaw

http://globalwarming.house.gov/spillcam

Live streaming Webcam 5000 ft below the surface showing the actual leak.

Looks like the siphoning tube has started to lose its effectiveness, starting to suck up the oil at a much slower rate compared to when the tube was first implemented. 
You are absolutely correct, "BP spokesman John Curry told the Associated Press Monday that the tube collected some 47,040 gallons of oil Sunday. BP said that the siphon collected 57,120 gallons Saturday and 92,400 gallons Friday."

dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 4:56am
I really can't believe this is still going on.  I think a lot of people's opinions about offshore drilling are going to change because of this.  People have to wake up to the fact that we've already exhausted almost of the easily accessible oil on this planet and it is time to get real regarding alternative energy sources.

I really hope that this "Top Kill" procedure works as experts are saying that the well may be leaking upwards of 5 million gallons a day at this point.
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:07am
Its been 5 weeks since the explosion and it seems like this story has fallen by the way side for the public media, its no longer a "juicy" story.  Unfortunately the effects of this oil spill will be felt for many decades to come.  I'm really hoping that "Top Kill" works.

Animated tool at the bottom of the page showing how this plan is exactly suppose to work:
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:15am
The explosion was on April 20th and it started spewing oil on April 22 (Earth Day).  So it hasn't been 5 months but a little over a month.  I don't think people are realizing the enormous environmental impact this will have (for decades to come as you point out).  The gulf fishing industry is going to be decimated.

The latest thing I've read is that the EPA has told BP to discontinue using the oil dispersant they are using to break up the clumps of oil.  So far they've pumped about a million gallons of this detergent like chemical into the gulf to break the oil into small particles which sink to the bottom.  Very likely is known about the environmental impact of the chemical they are using but BP said they are going to continue using it as it they don't have any better options.
AussieBoarder1983 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:18am
BP are nobs, someone slap them for me for wrecking the environment,!
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:19am

The explosion was on April 20th and it started spewing oil on April 22 (Earth Day).  So it hasn't been 5 months but a little over a month.  I don't think people are realizing the enormous environmental impact this will have (for decades to come as you point out).  The gulf fishing industry is going to be decimated.

oops I meant 5 weeks.  fixed my post
AussieBoarder1983 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:21am
Originally posted by dlaw

oops I meant 5 weeks.  fixed my post

only a small difference, 4 weeks 6 days too long in my opinion, hopefully going to be a overhaul of procedures after this all goes away
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:34am
Overhaul of procedure is one of the required outcomes of this disaster, the other needs to be an overhaul of the regulatory policies, and obviously some thought needs to be given to our current energy strategies.

While this is falling to the way side a bit in the public domain, I think this is just a lull after the initial shock. There will be plenty more for the public to get fired up about. The leak is one thing itself, but the effects of this leak (or what ever other garbage they are putting in the ocean) have yet to be seen. I hope the effects won't be as terrible as they could, but a spill this size could do some real, permanent, damage to the gulf ecosystem. A ton of that oil is gonna get pulled up the east coast too, and put a lot of stress on the areas of the east coast that aren't already dead zones. If this is the case, we should see some solid public pressure (and economic from loss if industry, and even tourism) to really restrict offshore drilling...at least I hope.

Also, 5 weeks is an outrage. These are high-quality engineers at BP, and I know they could have had a WORKING idea long before. That is really disappointing.

Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:39am
i put it all down to greed. you'll never restrict oil exploration/production offshore. shame. like the engineer above said, i dont get why they havent figured out a solution yet. (me not an engineer). surely the brightest minds in oil and gas can get it sorted. gg. do the dome again. gg x2.
klong View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
FRONTFLIP

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:40am
they need to stop it soon
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:44am
Originally posted by Innocence

i put it all down to greed. you'll never restrict oil exploration/production offshore. shame. like the engineer above said, i dont get why they havent figured out a solution yet. (me not an engineer). surely the brightest minds in oil and gas can get it sorted. gg. do the dome again. gg x2.
You have to ask yourself if BP is doing everything they can to minimize the enviromental damage or if they are really positioning themselves to maximize the recovery of the oil that's still down there as well as contain costs.  Maybe we should plug the leak with BP executives?
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:48am
Originally posted by carebear

can sign a petition against BP at www.fuckbp.net

Yeah, I'm sure a legitimate petition would have a website with that name...

Nevermind that there's no sign of the organizing person(s) behind the petition.  I think I'll keep my name/address/email to myself, thanks.
McNack View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 5:52am

Originally posted by Innocence

You have to ask yourself if BP is doing everything they can to minimize the enviromental damage or if they are really positioning themselves to maximize the recovery of the oil that's still down there as well as contain costs.  Maybe we should plug the leak with BP executives?

Perfect idea. Those fat cats are full of enough trash they'll plug any hole. But I'd have to agree, they have avoided any attempts to stop the leak that involved permanent close of the well...its got to make you think. This kill shot idea is neat if they try it...but I am sure that is an idea they had weeks ago. I am really curious as to what conversations are being had behind the scenes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>