Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: another "point" system rant but reasonable
    Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:07am
I do not check my points that often but I do remember having close to 1700 last night. I logged on just now to check the forum and found out that I have 1635. my posts/reviews are not spams. i believe a spammer would write something like "hi what did you eat today" and other useless posts. I've noticed longtime sierra members posts and reviews do not get flagged for anything and their points keep on increasing. It's always the new members that are having a hard time trying to keep the member points. I understand that you could only get 15 points per day. Do you know how long it takes to reach 1500? You would have to post 3 reviews, 5 forum posts every single day for about 4 months and that is without getting flagged for anything. That's over 300 products you would have to review. I just want to point out that it is a lot of work just to get these "free" points yet people are getting flagged for spamming and losing points. 

Sierra, either stop the whole point system so there are less "spam" forum posts and reviews or just being so harsh on spamming. If you want to give out points to its members, try doing "reputation points" users get points for helping out other members or posting useful posts. The point system has changed so much over the years because people keep on abusing it. If this is the case, stop giving out free stuff. I'm not posting and writing reviews on here to get free bindings and board. 

JC
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:11am
i think some other folks might also have point envy or spite for getting flagged themselves so they are on the warpath...i agree there should be some better control on the system in place.  perhaps an opportunity for you to plead your case and appeal flags?!?
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:13am
Wait, so if you aren't worried about getting free gear because of points, then why even bitch in the first place???? Seems contradictory.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:14am
you HONESTLY think this is a good review of a jacket?

Experience:   I bought the green one after watching I Ride Park City because one of the riders was rocking the green one out and it looked sick. The green color looks very pleasant in person and the closest green is probably Burton's Brilliant Verde green. Get it!

www.chargeharder.com
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:15am
Or how about this winner on a piece of luggage??

Experience:   My friend showed up with this bag for our ski trip this year and this bag looked sick. He has the custom one and wow, it seriously turned heads at the airport. I would want to buy this once it goes on more sale but too bad it is only available in black. I helped him with the luggage and this thing pulled very secure and felt like it had a lot of support. It was such a breeze pulling this thing around the airport.
www.chargeharder.com
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:16am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

Experience:   I bought the green one after watching I Ride Park City because one of the riders was rocking the green one out and it looked sick. The green color looks very pleasant in person and the closest green is probably Burton's Brilliant Verde green. Get it!

how else would i know what he was rocking and how sick it made him look?!? Big smile
johnsonnd06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:17am
^^^ I feel like it is a status thing... Alot of ppl like to judge off of how many stars or points you have. The more points, the more respect you might get from the community. I believe he isn't in it for the free gear, but I would want to complain to if my points got taken away for no reason. I am going to call out valid argument and not "bitching"
I still rock the Bandana...
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:18am
aside from keeping careful watch on your total, is there any way you can actually tell if you've lost points to flagging?  (i.e. - PM or negative in recent point log)
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:19am

Did I mention I kill it?

I'm here for the gangbang....
Bartleby Badger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:19am
Originally posted by carebear

i think some other folks might also have point envy or spite for getting flagged themselves so they are on the warpath...i agree there should be some better control on the system in place.  perhaps an opportunity for you to plead your case and appeal flags?!?

^^ wonderful idea but do you understand how much time this will take, Sierra's staff have got better things to do than deal with petty stuff like this. Every kid who posts a crappy 3 word review will want an appeal everytime.

The problem is there is no perfect system - merit/demerit from member to member can just as easily be abused as the points system - multiple accoutns to 'merit' to your own account, people clubbing together to boost each others 'merit' points.

Young gun - have you got the text of the reviews you think have been deleted? Impossible to say whether they're spam or not without seeing them. Either way the issue is individual opinion eg. you might not think they're spam but someone else might

The whole 'spam' thing is never going to be consistent, because it's different people at different times with slightly different tolerence levels - I'm afraid the Sierra community is gonna have to accept that - so what you feel is/isn't spam is gonna be different to someone else.
Is badger, is not problem
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:21am
Ok, I'm going to level with all you guys who want tons of points.  I know what you are thinking......''If I have tons of points, chicks will dig me''.  The reality is that I have been trying to lure woman with my point totals for years now and it simply doesn't work.  Might as well just show up at tour stops armed with Sierra gear and roofies, works a LOT better.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:22am
I flag tons of reviews.  I have no point envy or any kind of vendettas.  If your review sucks and is not helpful it is getting flagged.  It is a pretty simple system.  If you don't like it write better reviews. 
www.chargeharder.com
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Ok, now it's pretty clear to me why they got flagged.

I'm with Bruizza here - they're hardly great reviews (and that's being kind). Yes I've seen worse, and yes you wrote more than 3 words – but, to me, they have no use so I can see why they got flagged.

Wait, so if you aren't worried about getting free gear because of points, then why even bitch in the first place???? Seems contradictory.

^^^ My first thought as well but didn't wanna point that out LOL

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Originally posted by johnsonnd06

^^^ I feel like it is a status thing... Alot of ppl like to judge off of how many stars or points you have. The more points, the more respect you might get from the community. I believe he isn't in it for the free gear, but I would want to complain to if my points got taken away for no reason. I am going to call out valid argument and not "bitching"

Oh, so it's a status thing for people... interesting people need a "status" to validate themselves.
It's like who has the biggest e-cock, in which case we know Bru wins this battle.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:24am
This is actually a thread all newbs should be forced to read LOL
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by shakazulu12

Ok, I'm going to level with all you guys who want tons of points. I know what you are thinking......''If I have tons of points, chicks will dig me''. The reality is that I have been trying to lure woman with my point totals for years now and it simply doesn't work. Might as well just show up at tour stops armed with Sierra gear and roofies, works a LOT better..

From what i heard about Tahoe even that didn't help you Shaka...
you can PM me for tips if need be.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:26am
There is a new member page coming out in the near future that will have a breakdown of sorts to show where you've earned points, as well as where you've lost points.

Youngun, sorry, but I'm looking at the reviews that you had flagged and removed and I'm in full agreement with them being removed.

From the Member Points page on how to 'earn and lose points':
Write a review:
Please share your experiences with the products you have used, purchased or demoed. Let us all know what you think. Spread the love or the dirt; nothing beats first hand experience. You can post up to three a day. Reviewing products with irrelevant reviews, or un-insightful reviews for points can, and will, be deleted resulting in a loss of those points. If a review is flagged 5 times by the community as spam, the review will be deleted along with the associated points.

The reviews that you had removed are not helpful in any way for future customers looking for first-hand knowledge of the product.  Also, copy and pasting reviews for stickers aren't exactly what we're shooting for either.

Here's examples of reviews that WILL ALWAYS get flagged.

• Name: 2007 Foursquare Wordmark 24Pk
  • Pros:  sick looking,
  • Cons:  price ,
Experience:   How come these are not on 70% off anymore? I bought mine at one dollar and that was a sweet deal. Hopefully sierra would have them on 70% again!

• Name: 2007 Special Blend Stacked Wdmark 12Pk
  • Pros:  none,
  • Cons:  none,
Experience:   I used to buy these stickers when I didn't a couple of more dollars to qualify for free shipping. I guess the price went back up? Wait until these go on 70% again you guys. They were only a dollar!

• Name: 2009 Foursquare FSQ Large Icon & Wordmark - 24Pk
Experience:   I used to buy these stickers when I didn't a couple of more dollars to qualify for free shipping. I guess the price went back up? Wait until these go on 70% again you guys. They were only a dollar!

• Name: 2007 Special Blend Lg Filled Icon 12 Pk

chubbyguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:27am
Originally posted by youngun92

I do not check my points that often but I do remember having close to 1700 last night. I logged on just now to check the forum and found out that I have 1635. my posts/reviews are not spams. i believe a spammer would write something like "hi what did you eat today" and other useless posts. I've noticed longtime sierra members posts and reviews do not get flagged for anything and their points keep on increasing. It's always the new members that are having a hard time trying to keep the member points. I understand that you could only get 15 points per day. Do you know how long it takes to reach 1500? You would have to post 3 reviews, 5 forum posts every single day for about 4 months and that is without getting flagged for anything. That's over 300 products you would have to review. I just want to point out that it is a lot of work just to get these "free" points yet people are getting flagged for spamming and losing points. 

Sierra, either stop the whole point system so there are less "spam" forum posts and reviews or just being so harsh on spamming. If you want to give out points to its members, try doing "reputation points" users get points for helping out other members or posting useful posts. The point system has changed so much over the years because people keep on abusing it. If this is the case, stop giving out free stuff. I'm not posting and writing reviews on here to get free bindings and board.

JC

I agree w Scorer, you say that last sentence but meticulously count your points and complain when they are taken away? Totally contradictory, if your not writing reviews to get points, you shouldnt have a problem when you lose some. And btw, those are some horrible reviews
The English Butler View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:28am
Oh god it gets worse - dude that's emarrassing Confused
More Tea Lord Douglas?
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:29am
The fact you can even review things like clothes and stickers and other stupid crap is uselss... congratulations, you reviewed a sticker pack!!!

www.angrysnowboarder.com
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:31am
Originally posted by johnsonnd06

Believe it or not, we actually judge you based on your character on Sierra.  If you want to act like a tool, go ahead.  But don't expect not to be treated as such.

Take away my points, take away my stars, take away my Expert member, but I too started here one day.  I came and finally found a community of riders that were polite, helpful, knowledgable and just good people in general.  Take away my additional discount even retroactively.  Meaning that extra 20%, I now owe you, Sierra.  Bill me.  I'll pay it if we can end the endless BITCH FEST on here about points. 

I'm here at Sierra because of the great prices, and amazing community.  If you're here for the points, keep to yourself in the game threads because nobody really cares about your points but you.  BTW, if you bitch about/talk about/even mention the points, you're here for the points.  Oh, and if you're writing useless posts in otherwise informative/interesting threads or useless (I'll save you the suspense carebear, those reviews are not acceptable) reviews, you will lose your points.

E
First of all, I don't even like you. Second of all, I don't even drink...
kirium81 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:33am
LOL... I like how the OP is now MIA. those reviews should be on failblog
McThunderstick View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:33am
Yea, I think a rep system would work better. The system would have to be improvised from the repping system on other sites(bodybuilding.com namely) though because then you could "rep trade" to get discounts faster.
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:34am

Experience:   I bought the green one after watching I Ride Park City because one of the riders was rocking the green one out and it looked sick. The green color looks very pleasant in person and the closest green is probably Burton's Brilliant Verde green. Get it!

If I were looking at that jacket, and I liked the green one but I wasn't confident in the color choice (not sure how it looked in person), then yes, it would be a good review for me. I would appreciate another customers review on the color. You don't know what people are thinking when they are looking to buy something Bruizza. This review gave good info to people who may need it (like that the color works well)

Experience:   My friend showed up with this bag for our ski trip this year and this bag looked sick. He has the custom one and wow, it seriously turned heads at the airport. I would want to buy this once it goes on more sale but too bad it is only available in black. I helped him with the luggage and this thing pulled very secure and felt like it had a lot of support. It was such a breeze pulling this thing around the airport.

Some people care about how luggage looks and feels (imagine that!). If I cared about getting noticed (and lots of people do) and saw that someone was getting attention for rolling this bag around, then I might get it. If I had issues with rolling my luggage around and saw that this one was easy, I might get it. I don't think this is a spam review at all.

I agree that reviews like 'This is a cool shirt, I hope to get it' should be spammed. But you guys are taking down legit reviews because they don't fit what you are looking for. There are 255,000+ members on this site, and a lot more non-members looking at the product. For you to think that no one cares about color or ease of use seems a bit silly.   

Giving my $0.02, I made almost all of my reviews (if not all) before this point fiasco. The longer I have been on the site the more detailed my reviews have been. Heck, you guys could have already spammed some of my reviews, I wouldn't know, I don't pay attention to my points.   However, I have ALWAYS given a review that I thought would have been helpful to me if I hadn't bought the item yet. I think these are two examples of reviews that youngun92 feet would have been helpful for him if he were to buy the items.
Now I don't post on the forum as much or do reviews on all my stuff anymore because I don't want to put effort into something one of the 'expert' members doesn't feel fits their idea of review/comment.   Spamming control needs to be given to staff members only, and then they post a list of what is expected on the reviews, or we need to do something with this point stuff. It is getting way out of hand and just keeping established members from being active.
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by little ole me

There is a new member page coming out in the near future that will have a breakdown of sorts to show where you've earned points, as well as where you've lost points.

Youngun, sorry, but I'm looking at the reviews that you had flagged and removed and I'm in full agreement with them being removed.

From the Member Points page on how to 'earn and lose points':
Write a review:
Please share your experiences with the products you have used, purchased or demoed. Let us all know what you think. Spread the love or the dirt; nothing beats first hand experience. You can post up to three a day. Reviewing products with irrelevant reviews, or un-insightful reviews for points can, and will, be deleted resulting in a loss of those points. If a review is flagged 5 times by the community as spam, the review will be deleted along with the associated points.

The reviews that you had removed are not helpful in any way for future customers looking for first-hand knowledge of the product.  Also, copy and pasting reviews for stickers aren't exactly what we're shooting for either.

Here's examples of reviews that WILL ALWAYS get flagged.

• Name: 2007 Foursquare Wordmark 24Pk
  • Pros:  sick looking,
  • Cons:  price ,
Experience:   How come these are not on 70% off anymore? I bought mine at one dollar and that was a sweet deal. Hopefully sierra would have them on 70% again!

• Name: 2007 Special Blend Stacked Wdmark 12Pk

• Name: 2009 Foursquare FSQ Large Icon & Wordmark - 24Pk

• Name: 2007 Special Blend Lg Filled Icon 12 Pk

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAA!  This just thickens the plot LMFAO!  Can we just remove ALL points for things like this?
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:35am
Originally posted by shakazulu12

Ok, I'm going to level with all you guys who want tons of points.  I know what you are thinking......''If I have tons of points, chicks will dig me''.  The reality is that I have been trying to lure woman with my point totals for years now and it simply doesn't work.  Might as well just show up at tour stops armed with Sierra gear and roofies, works a LOT better.

This post is 110% WIN........ brilliant, just shtooking brilliant. 

@ Younggun this was not a reasonable rant.
started by flossers making floss for flossers
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary... come again?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Scorer099

From what i heard about Tahoe even that didn't help you Shaka...
you can PM me for tips if need be.

EPIC LOL
I'm just here for the titties
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:39am
Easy Joness, those reviews weren't even removed, so don't be quick to point fingers.  He simply said that he didn't feel those were legit either.  The reviews that were flagged were not useful in the slightest, and copy and pasted from product to product.... like I listed with his sticker reviews.

And, Expert Members are not the only ones who have the ability to flag/remove reviews, so take a bit of the blame and point it at staff or even any of the other 255,000+ members who have the ability to flag.
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:40am
Also, the OP of this thread is absolute clownshoes.

Please remove points altogether so the forums become at least somewhat readable.

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:41am
Originally posted by mattaleao

EPIC

Thank you Matt, i know some people will find this hilarious...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by joness

Experience:   I bought the green one after watching I Ride Park City because one of the riders was rocking the green one out and it looked sick. The green color looks very pleasant in person and the closest green is probably Burton's Brilliant Verde green. Get it!

If I were looking at that jacket, and I liked the green one but I wasn't confident in the color choice (not sure how it looked in person), then yes, it would be a good review for me. I would appreciate another customers review on the color. You don't know what people are thinking when they are looking to buy something Bruizza. This review gave good info to people who may need it (like that the color works well)

Experience:   My friend showed up with this bag for our ski trip this year and this bag looked sick. He has the custom one and wow, it seriously turned heads at the airport. I would want to buy this once it goes on more sale but too bad it is only available in black. I helped him with the luggage and this thing pulled very secure and felt like it had a lot of support. It was such a breeze pulling this thing around the airport.

Some people care about how luggage looks and feels (imagine that!). If I cared about getting noticed (and lots of people do) and saw that someone was getting attention for rolling this bag around, then I might get it. If I had issues with rolling my luggage around and saw that this one was easy, I might get it. I don't think this is a spam review at all.

I agree that reviews like 'This is a cool shirt, I hope to get it' should be spammed. But you guys are taking down legit reviews because they don't fit what you are looking for. There are 255,000+ members on this site, and a lot more non-members looking at the product. For you to think that no one cares about color or ease of use seems a bit silly.   

Giving my $0.02, I made almost all of my reviews (if not all) before this point fiasco. The longer I have been on the site the more detailed my reviews have been. Heck, you guys could have already spammed some of my reviews, I wouldn't know, I don't pay attention to my points.   However, I have ALWAYS given a review that I thought would have been helpful to me if I hadn't bought the item yet. I think these are two examples of reviews that youngun92 feet would have been helpful for him if he were to buy the items.
Now I don't post on the forum as much or do reviews on all my stuff anymore because I don't want to put effort into something one of the 'expert' members doesn't feel fits their idea of review/comment.   Spamming control needs to be given to staff members only, and then they post a list of what is expected on the reviews, or we need to do something with this point stuff. It is getting way out of hand and just keeping established members from being active.
You should probably check what you are talking about before you try and call me out.  Like Jenn stated those reviews weren't flagged.  They still suck though.
www.chargeharder.com
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:43am
Oh jeebus, those are horrible carbon copy reviews.  The dude could of at least ripped off a decent one.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:44am
Originally posted by little ole me

Easy Joness, those reviews weren't even removed, so don't be quick to point fingers. He simply said that he didn't feel those were legit either. The reviews that were flagged were not useful in the slightest, and copy and pasted from product to product.... like I listed with his sticker reviews.

And, Expert Members are not the only ones who have the ability to flag/remove reviews, so take a bit of the blame and point it at staff or even any of the other 255,000+ members who have the ability to flag.

I didn't say they were removed, Bru asked if he (youngun92) thought it was a good review, and I just answered for him. They can be helpful to the right person.

The sticker review was spam worthy for sure though.

I have flagged reviews like 'It's good' too, but that doesn't mean it is automatically removed. I agree with flagging, but not with so many people having the ability to remove reviews right then.
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:47am

You should probably check what you are talking about before you try and call me out. Like Jenn stated those reviews weren't flagged. They still suck though.

I didn't say you took it down or flagged it. Please read my comment before you try to call me out. I said that you guys have taken down legit reviews, I didn't say THESE reviews. I have had friends really upset with getting their reviews spammed, and I asked what they said. They told me. No, they weren't the best reviews, but they did give some good info/advice.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:51am
Perhaps the review thing should just be jousted... there are plenty of other places online to look at reviews, including the forum here which usually has decent reviews.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:52am

] You should probably check what you are talking about before you try and call me out. Like Jenn stated those reviews weren't flagged. They still suck though.

I didn't say you took it down or flagged it. Please read my comment before you try to call me out. I said that you guys have taken down legit reviews, I didn't say THESE reviews. I have had friends really upset with getting their reviews spammed, and I asked what they said. They told me. No, they weren't the best reviews, but they did give some good info/advice.

Why speculate?? Maybe we can re-review their review since they were so pertinent and your friends have been wronged.  No sense in keeping it to your/themselves! Let's deliberate!

E
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 11:53am
As I said in my initial post in here, this is posted on the Member Points page.  This sums up what we're looking for. 
Write a review:

Just because any staff or EM feels that a reviews is lacking, doesn't mean they remove everything they don't fully approve of.  We appreciate their help and trust their judgment to remove the reviews that are not worthy of the points, nor helpful in the slightest.  We try to make folks happy, but clearly we cannot please all 255,000.  But, having a review system that has standards is a part of life.  Crappy reviews do not help customers.... and ultimately, we're looking out for them and trying to give them a better shopping experience.
SoSik View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:01pm

Experience:   My friend showed up with this bag for our ski trip this year and this bag looked sick. He has the custom one and wow, it seriously turned heads at the airport. I would want to buy this once it goes on more sale but too bad it is only available in black. I helped him with the luggage and this thing pulled very secure and felt like it had a lot of support. It was such a breeze pulling this thing around the airport.

wow def point worthy! im willing to bet when you first decided to make this post you didn't take a second to go read over some of you "Useful" reviews.Clap  Stop all this point crying if you so called don't care.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:01pm
none of these threads that question about missing points ever go the way the OP hopes for LOL
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:12pm
Sympathetic ears for points on Sierra is a HUGE oxymoron (emphasis on moron).
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:14pm
hahah man this thread cracks me up!!! I love how someone who doesnt care about his points for anything is bitching about them! Give them to me then!
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:19pm
Jenn~ First of all let me say I think you do an amazing job with everything you do. I've always appreciated your hard work and I am sure sierra knows what a value you are to the business. That being said...

With your summary of what you are looking for is vague, at best. One persons idea of what is 'irrelevant' or 'un-insightful' can be different than someone else's.   I know you don't care, and this is just pissing other people off, but I just think it would be easier if there was more detail of what is expected (maybe a list of question they have to answer...?)
I agree with the 5 flag rule, and I trust your judgment. I also understand how difficult it is to regulate all the reviews by yourself, therefore you enlist in help. It is some of the 'experts' judgment I question (even though you are confident they are adequate). I am not sure what you tell the experts, or if you do this already, but if you can give them a format to follow, like 5 questions the post has to fail to answer (like did it cover quality/function/appearance...) Something to keep it more uniform and allow the rest of us to know that our review will get a fair judgment.

On a side note, I say get rid of the points. I'm even more annoyed with this site than ever. I use to enjoy coming here, it isn't with the 10%.
The Chez View Drop Down
Local
Local
Graffiti in Barçelona

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:21pm
Standards suck. Why? Because someone will ultimately be let down. Oh well, such is life. If you don't have standards, you have anarchy. In this case, you had lots of people writing reviews just to write them, myself included. I hope my crappy ones get flagged too.
Why?
I'm not here for the free crap. It's a great side thing but I've been here to help, to meet a fun community and to save money on gear that's overpriced to begin with.
If you're not here for that, go to Dogfunk or Burton.com. Maybe you'll like it there instead.
I've met some amazing people in this community and hope that Airik and Mike and the rest can keep it going strong without a bunch of kooks going around talking trash about Sierra because they didn't get their free t-shirt.
I have a great sense of humour. I'm also entitled.
bite me View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:22pm
Getting rid of the points won't happen.

/discussion of that topic.
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by E13

] You should probably check what you are talking about before you try and call me out. Like Jenn stated those reviews weren't flagged. They still suck though.

Why speculate?? Maybe we can re-review their review since they were so pertinent and your friends have been wronged.  No sense in keeping it to your/themselves! Let's deliberate!

E

AAAAHHHHEEEEEMMMMM.

Why speculate????????  Lets get down to brass tacks here and see if we can get rid of some vagueness!
mattaleao View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:24pm
Reviewed by reviewers for reviewers, written exclusively for reviewing the reviewed reviews.
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:25pm
I think you guys are making him cry... isnt he like 12? 

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:26pm
I only flag reviews if I think I could've written without any knowledge of the item.  Once I see a review that's spam worthy, I check their profile and see what other reviews they have.  I've written bad reviews too so I see if maybe this one was just their bad review before they knew how to write a better one.  If their other reviews are legit and helpful, I don't do anything.

9 times out of 10 though, if they have a bad review, their other reviews are crap.  I saw a review about the stunt that this person bought.  They bought it and said this board is awesome and I can't wait to ride it next season!  It's like...ummm I could write that for any of the boards/bindings/boots sold on this site so it gets flagged and their profile posted in the review spam thread. 

With the new community page where you can see the recent reviews being posted, it's become easier to spot the horrible reviews.

And this thread has been entertaining to read so far LOL

youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:27pm
Again you guys are missing the whole point. If I wanted to be discreet about my points and keep my "STICKER PACK REVIEWS" under radar, I would have kept my mouth shut. I am being open about the whole point system. This why I am posting about it. 

Why are "SIERRA STAFF" calling me out on my reviews? If my reviews are bad then let the community flag me 5 times. Not a SIERRA STAFF member who feels like God by deleting bad reviews. So back to my number crunching, let's say a sierra member does not do any reviews because they get flagged due to non-creativity, staff member being so cool, etc. It will take a member 8-9 months to get to 1500 point mark. Posting 5 posts and a 1 login point. 

Do you guys even realize members coming back to the site everyday helps you guys with potential sales? Having more traffic does increase your SER on SERPs. In a way, sierra members (us) are helping you guys out. You guys rank very high with countless keywords on big g and sierra members helped you reach that goal. Imagine 250K members coming back to the site everyday to get points? Not only you guys could increase your sales with "DAILY STAFF PICK" sale items and it helps with your PR. I won't get into details. I know my algorithm. 

Flag all my reviews if you want. Like I said, it was never the FREE ITEMS that attracted me to points. I just wanted to be a part of this community as someone who helps out other riders. I've been on here since 07 and I hooked up other sierra members with killer snowboarding deals. I'm not on here just to get points since 07. I've been helping out others.

This is why I'm telling you guys to get rid of the point system or don't give away free stuff at all. I was trying to get my points up just because I can't keep up with all the "cool" folks here with 3k,4k,5k+ points. Why have an elusive point system? 

myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2010 at 12:27pm
here's what i get when i read this thread.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MY PANTIES ARE TOO TIGHT WAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

get over it.

I'm here for the gangbang....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>