Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mental state in jumping
    Posted: May/24/2010 at 8:34am

Hey im bored thought i would start a thread about more thought process in jumping.  Particularly about the air time and landing.  Usually when i go off a jump and i dont do anything, just a straight air or maybe a shifty i usually over think my style, landing, hang time usually feels so much longer.  But when i go off and i do a spin or a grab the air time usually is just time that i dont think about anything at all.  When im doing a trick the only thing that pops into my head is "oh ill land there" or "oh i over shot the landing, better go a little slower next time" 

What do you guys have the hardest time with? is it the approach, spotting the landing, stability thru the jump? Its usually a mental game.  How do you guys deal with the mental aspect of jibbing?

Capita Stairmaster 159, k2 auto-uprise R- +15/-12, Ride Jackson boots
Dirtydragon View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Top oF Tahoe

Quote Dirtydragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 8:46am
i think to myself.. OHH CRAP DON'T DIE.. works everytime
bigtshot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bigtshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 8:54am
I think right after I "jump" -- hmm, maybe I shouldn't have chickened out and pulled up, ha!
van View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 8:56am
The hardest thing for me is the approach. Am I going too fast, too slow. Either of those make my react during the actual jump and I panic haha
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 9:04am
Usually I just wuss out.  I'm not much of a daredevil anymore. Angry  Unfortunately I have to think about losing my job due to an injury.  Growing up sucks.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 9:08am
as i'm laying on my ass, i usually think "man, i shouldn't have done that"...then hope it gets better next time
be talkin to ya
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:01pm
im usually pretty ballzy on the approach but after when im in the air its different
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote marble49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:06pm
I usually say to myself "Ok, that was a good jump, you got the amount of speed you wanted.  Don't shtook up the landing"
It works about half the time =)

dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:06pm
once your in the air, you just gotta commit to finishing
Willy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Willy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:09pm
It's good to know not all people here are super humans
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:14pm
It's just mental for me, if I think too much about it I end up messing something up.  I hit my best jumps when I just get comfortable and focus on being loose and balanced.  Also if I've hit the jump before and kind of know what to expect I tend to do better.
Piechar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Piechar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:17pm
The moment right before the jumping is what gets to me and makes me mess up the most. A lot of times, everything I told myself to do mentally seems to just go away, and I don't do things like I wanted to.
http://ride.searchpw.com/refer/iceking
Bensonator View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Bensonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:24pm
1 or 2 beers is the ticket.  loosens you up just enough to be more fluid, for me anyway  gotta be careful tho. its a tight robe to walk, dont wanna get too tipsy and start losing coordination
jesterloc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jesterloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 1:30pm
I try to think about i as little as possible. just commit to taking it and then let it flow from there. I find that if i just react to whats going on then i am better off than trying plan it out. i dont believe in plans i like to chart direction. if i plan on a bs 360 tail grab then i get all panicked if i dont pull it off in the air, but if i get in the air and end up deciding to do one once i am there than it usually goes down with no problems.   mind you key word "usually" i am old and i just let if flow
SME
volta View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote volta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 10:07pm
Yeah I usually just try to focus on committing 100% to the jump/trick. Just gotta go for it with confidence and pretend your awesome lol.
Any other thoughts that pop into my head usually distract me and cause me to lose balance. :(
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2010 at 10:19pm
Best not to think too hard other wise you'll stuff it up. Just go with it!!
Scotty68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scotty68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 12:03am
for me its adjusting speed before hitting it or too much confidence. if i shtook up it seems like hrs before hitting the bottom...those are scurry
asapient View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote asapient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 12:08am
before i go I'm all gunho... then worried about the speed when puts me off a bit.

guess its best not to think about what you dont want... as they say you get what you think about.

elnino View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote elnino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 10:58pm
Its all about confidence. The more confident you are, the more likely you are to land. The hardest part is doing something for the first time.
libengazi View Drop Down
Local
Local
BS 180

Quote libengazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 11:04pm
The most important thing is not to be afraid otherwise most likely to get hurt. 
respect mountains
abershnabble View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote abershnabble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 11:12pm
how to land without my head slamming the ground
KLiang07 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote KLiang07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2010 at 11:30pm
i think, if youre fearless you'll be fine. but if you panic for even a second youre screwed.
higiff View Drop Down
Local
Local
cab 3

Quote higiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 12:15am
before you even drop in, visualize is and know you can do it, if you going for a spin / flip visualize yourself doing it.
Drop in from were the others are, DONT do homosexual little setup turns, these will cut your speed, straightline it untill just before and if spinning do a S shape figure set up turn, but carving properly, or you will smeer, and not spin properly, straight and you will lose a ton of speed, sometimes enough to then knuckle it.
on the take off, know youve got it, if you take off right, the rest of the jump does itself, grab 2 reasons, 1 it balances you.. 2nd if spinning it stops you getting disorentated, you can see everything clearly, hold it as long as you can.. if you land on you fingers bonus points..
For the landing extend your legs just before and then suck up the landing with your legs, if you had the speed right and you land on the sweet spot, there should be hardly any impact, stand up quickly to regain control and look at the next jump.
i just visualize myself doing it and it gives me all the confidence, plus having your mates there telling you that you can do it is a big moral boost.
09 Signal Park rocker 152 (snapped + customer servcice = MCSHIT) 08 / 09 lib tech skate banana 52, rotten banana 56 08/09 cartels, sabboths..
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 8:19am
i think sometimes the best thing to do before you jump is to get really cocky and really believe that you're that good and so the commitment is already there.
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 8:30am
some courage juice helps me loosen up. just enough to get a little buzz.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Snowguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 8:47am
Use your adrenaline to your advantage instead of against.  You'll have heightened senses, so just suck it up, only think about landing it, and you've got it.  Without confidence, you won't succeed more times than not.

Follow these kind words my son

- Whenever I go to shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving, so I say, "I'm gonna go shave, too." -
van View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote van Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 9:09am
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

Unfortunately I have to think about losing my job due to an injury.  Growing up sucks.

Is that what the feeling is? gahhhhh. I don't wanna!!
RoseBud View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW kickin my butt

Quote RoseBud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 9:20am
I just stare at em and think I dont wanna, I'm not ready, and then I finally start and am so chicken that I only end up with maybe a foot of air but am soo pumped I didnt bail that its a success every time!!
Like everything else in snowboarding, it's all preference!
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote pimpasaurus JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 9:39am
I jump the best after a shot or two of some scotch or whiskey.  If helps take the edge off and loosens me up mentally.  If I'm too drunk, everything goes wrong.  If I'm sober, I think too much about the little things.
Magicweed3 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Magicweed3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 9:43am
I jump best after I see an 8 year old float over the knuckle on the big jump line, and father time (Migs) doing backflips.  At that point I realized that there is no good reason why I can't do the same, if not more.  Then I point it and go.  I'd rather go too fast than too slow.
TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TahoeDreamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 9:51am
I focus on looking ahead of me while in the air. Not looking down, keep my head up. The feet just seem to follow. WHen I look down my front foot goes down, when I keep my head up and focus on something in the distance I can stomp it. Just one of those weird things that works for me.
jivehoneyjive View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jivehoneyjive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 1:54pm
Seems to me that the best thing you can do is not think, but let instinct take over- if you think too much and over analyse things, not enough of your brain is doing what needs done.

That said, I often find myself with grand plans for epic moves, only to freeze just as I leave the lip and pull some phat lame air.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2010 at 1:57pm
i find it difficult to focus on jumping while praying for survival
IEINIDIEIR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote IEINIDIEIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 1:43am
i get nervous on landings and usually over think it and fall after i actually do land it, ahaha
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iGBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 1:55am
So sounds like there are some pretty nervous jumpers.  How often do people who are not confident pull it off?  Are you eating snow 50% of the time?
09 Burton Vapor | 09 Skate Banana | 10 Sierra Stunt
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 7:52am
Originally posted by Magicweed3

I jump best after I see an 8 year old float over the knuckle on the big jump line, and father time (Migs) doing backflips.  At that point I realized that there is no good reason why I can't do the same, if not more.  Then I point it and go.  I'd rather go too fast than too slow.

there is a very good reason why he can and you cant... its b/c the youngins are so flexible and indistructable. lol
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 8:11am
I visualize my success and try to just hit it.  I know the longer I wait, the more time my mind has of imagining me eating it and hurting myself badly.  I also don't hit anything beyond my ability level...ex I won't hit a 20-30ft jump until I'm completely comfortable going off a 10ft jump.  I'm working on jumps bigger than 5ft now....hopefully end of next season I'll be ok on 10ft jumps.

aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 7:14am
Originally posted by iGBH

So sounds like there are some pretty nervous jumpers.  How often do people who are not confident pull it off?  Are you eating snow 50% of the time?

I just started snowboarding again this year their has only been 1 jump where i ate it, actually ate it and it was kind of funny how i fell but i went of numerous jump and havent bailed after that  first jump i went off of.  I also did some boxes and didnt bail easily. 
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 7:32am
Coming into the jump- Trying to hit the perfect spot with enough speed so I don't catch an edge and die, or case/overshoot. When I am in the air- awwwww yeah!
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2010 at 7:06am
What about rails and boxes do you guys usually bail out b/c of your mental thought process approaching the rail/box?
NYshred View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Arizona Horizon

Quote NYshred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2010 at 7:10am
i always jump too late. i didnt know i was doing it, but when i saw it on film, i realized that my legs didnt expand until i was off the jump. every time it happens i land tail heavy
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote hana24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2010 at 7:17am
Originally posted by aje917

What about rails and boxes do you guys usually bail out b/c of your mental thought process approaching the rail/box?

I do sometimes.  It's cuz I wait too long and I overthink about my approach to the rail/box.  It's better for me to just point it and go. 
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2010 at 7:31am
That's the key...best results usually come from not overthinking things and just letting it all happen naturally.
aje917 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
mmMMMmm death dogs

Quote aje917 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2010 at 7:55am
yeah i think that goes for all snowboarding in general.  you cant plan out a run in the backcountry, well i mean completely plan out.  Thats why i think in videos they do the same jump, or hit the same terrain over and over b/c they just want to concentrate on one thing at a time and once thats done they can move on.
Mjmontag View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mjmontag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2010 at 4:58pm
This is my biggest problem. I always syke myself out before a jump. I do fine once I am in the air. Its the before that's the problem.
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Ginger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2010 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by aje917

Hey im bored thought i would start a thread about more thought process in jumping.  Particularly about the air time and landing.  Usually when i go off a jump and i dont do anything, just a straight air or maybe a shifty i usually over think my style, landing, hang time usually feels so much longer.  But when i go off and i do a spin or a grab the air time usually is just time that i dont think about anything at all.  When im doing a trick the only thing that pops into my head is "oh ill land there" or "oh i over shot the landing, better go a little slower next time" 

What do you guys have the hardest time with? is it the approach, spotting the landing, stability thru the jump? Its usually a mental game.  How do you guys deal with the mental aspect of jibbing?

I think waaay too much about how much i should pop on straigh airs.  With grabs and spins i am the same i just am way to focused on getting the spin around without killing myself so the thought process is then focused on spotting the landing
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2010 at 5:18pm
i had back injuries before and I got back to snowboarding bout 2 seasons ago. Now when I hit a jump, I think bout my back while crossing my fingers (impossible wit gloves).  After some intense compression and decompression from riding, it causes my back to tense up and lock sometimes. Therefore, I'm stuck at whatever position I'm in and forces me to land in a less than prefer way, and sometimes, it makes me eat it baaad especially when I'm trying to rotate. If I landed on my lower back, my back will hurt shapely immediately for a couple of days and so will my leg cause of pressure increase of my sciatic nerve. Even though I'm in pain, I'll never stop riding.     
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Attrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2010 at 8:10pm
Can't you get a back protector that provides good support?
MATTSTERBATOR View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote MATTSTERBATOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 1:33am
it's all about being comfortable, and just trying to relax and feel the trick/jump
M.Bilenki
npalmern View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
front shuv chillin

Quote npalmern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2010 at 1:41pm
i overshoot some too with spins
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>