Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kalena View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I like snow!

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kalena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Australian Ski Fields
    Posted: May/27/2010 at 10:33pm
mine is Perisher Blue, whats yours?
jwadick View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I like snow!

Quote jwadick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 11:20pm
I am pretty keen on Thredbo, when the snow is good.
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iGBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 11:28pm
I've only been to Hotham and Buller and much prefer the terrain at Hotham.  Sure it has some issues, but the terrain and the crowd make it a much better resort for my styles than Buller.

Heading to Falls this year for a week and have heard good things. 

09 Burton Vapor | 09 Skate Banana | 10 Sierra Stunt
educalifa View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote educalifa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2010 at 11:59pm
Thredbo for me too. Having said that, they're all extremely overpriced and if you can afford a week off work, just go to NZ. Cheaper that a week in OZ and heaps better.
wilson85 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote wilson85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:14am
mate got 10 nights accom, 10 day car hire n 6 day pass for $850 for NZ.

1st real season 4 me so mt buller is the mountain of choice cos its not 2 far 4 me! day trips FTW!
southernsoul View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote southernsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:19am
Thredbo
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:25am
this is my first season ever, and i have to say.. NZ is wayyyyy cheaper then Aus. im only heading over for 3nights but in those 4days, i will be saving $400 all together.
thats including airfares aswel. lift passes are around $50 less and accommodation is wayy cheaper.

If only Queensland had snow...
gody View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote gody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:26am
Im go to Perisher with the family for holidays and I do Falls on the weekends.
Pheonix_boarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Wakeboarding is the Australian Off season Snowboarding

Quote Pheonix_boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 12:30am
Falls Creek has some great boarding, however i am a fan of Hotham
All or Nothing
Jago View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
me and me sista

Quote Jago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 1:22am
Perisher!!!
kitcho4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kitcho4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 10:31pm
iv only been to buller but iv heard good things about falls and want to give it a try this year
GUFF View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GUFF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2010 at 10:33pm
Hotham... although falls is my home mountain and i freakin love the place.
dr86 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dr86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 2:26am
i've only been to buller and falls. falls wins hands down. will be heading up to hotham this year so my favourite may change.
asapient View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote asapient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:03am
Thredbo... nice long runs... but snow in Vic/NSW not that great so I'm heading to queenstown this time around... its bucketing snow there atm... YIPY
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 4:58am
topic moved to the appropriate section.
www.chargeharder.com
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Wilz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 5:31am
man i love going to falls, but bit too far drive.. all i do these days are day trips to buller
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iGBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 2:49am
Originally posted by Wilz

man i love going to falls, but bit too far drive.. all i do these days are day trips to buller

I've found that by the time you take into account parking and getting the Horsehill lift onto the mountain, the drive to Hotham/Falls is really not that much longer.  And for me the terrain and the lack of crowds (and the type of crowds) makes it worthwhile.
JonZap View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JonZap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 2:56am
Buller for day trips, Hotham/Falls for longer trips.
Where else can you snowboard between Gum trees?
gravey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gravey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 8:55pm
I love Falls just because I know the place so well, but I'd love to go back to Hotham now I am a better boarder and hit up the Extreme Area (or whatever they call it).

Falls is great for beginners and intermediates and I love hiking out to Mt McKay and boarding back down towards Ruined Castle
versus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote versus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2010 at 3:33pm
Every time I've been the Buller, the quality of the snow just hasn't been worth it. You might as well take the extra time and go to Falls or Hotham for the weekend.
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iGBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2010 at 12:51am
Originally posted by gravey

I love Falls just because I know the place so well, but I'd love to go back to Hotham now I am a better boarder and hit up the Extreme Area (or whatever they call it).

Falls is great for beginners and intermediates and I love hiking out to Mt McKay and boarding back down towards Ruined Castle

So as an experienced Falls rider, where do you recommend going for someone intermediate/advanced?  Heading there for 5 nights this year - first time at falls. 
gravey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gravey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2010 at 8:06pm
The best thing to do at Falls is head straight up to Cloud 9 and work your way from left to right. the slopes kinda progressively get harder from skiers left to skiers right.

Do a quick blast down Drovers to get the legs in gear, there's often a mini-terrain park here with small kickers and rails, so this is a good spot to start if you are a beginnner to the park as well.
Then work your way around - do the runs around Towers lift, they areblue but quite wide and easy. Keep going and ride Lakeside if you dont have problems with Poma's,otherwise have some runs down Scott's, I really like theruns around Scotts as its generally not so crowded.

Keep working your way around to Ruin Castle - there's some nice blacks here and the blue's get a little steeper here too. I love doing the Big Dipper - you turn left off the chair and blast down the run as fast as you can so you hopefully get all the way to the top of the hill on the other side. Hike to the top of the dipper and ski around the back of the hill and back to the lift (you end up on southface I think)

At the top of Big Dipper you will see a hill behind you that generally has a cat track going up it. You can hike this and get fresh lines if you dont mind working for your turns....it is just outside the Resort Boundary so take a friend. Generally only a dozen other people do this so its nice to carve out some fresh lines,get to the bottom (watch out there's a creek you have to cross that is generally snowed over) and admire you handywork.

From the top of Ruin Castle you can also head out towards Mt Mckay. You can traverse a fair way without strapping out. drop down into the gully and get some fresh turns - head back towards Ruined Castle.

The Maze is only good if there is decent snow cover,but there are some epic black runs through trees here....once again you have the Poma, but you also have the Summit Lift and you can always catch Gully Lift and then Sumit Lift if you want to avoid the Poma...just takes a little longer.

All of the home runs are lots of fun too, lots of little bumps to launch off, so the ride home is always fun. Sometimes I like crusing around the home runs like The Last Hoot or doing the blacks around Eagle Chair.

have fun dude - hope the snow starts coming soon for you!
Mark Harris View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mark Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2010 at 9:15pm
I've only been to Buller, going again this year with girlfriend. Hoping to be able to get to perisher or thredbo before moving to Canada.
cpmooney View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cpmooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2010 at 10:31pm
Thredbo would be my choice but i have never ventured down to the melbourne scene, after skiing in japan and new zealand you just cant ride 300m of vertical rise and feel satisfied, even if perisher has more snow sometimes
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iGBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2010 at 1:41am
Originally posted by gravey

The best thing to do at Falls is head straight up to Cloud 9 and work your way from left to right. the slopes kinda progressively get harder from skiers left to skiers right.

Do a quick blast down Drovers to get the legs in gear, there's often a mini-terrain park here with small kickers and rails, so this is a good spot to start if you are a beginnner to the park as well.
Then work your way around - do the runs around Towers lift, they areblue but quite wide and easy. Keep going and ride Lakeside if you dont have problems with Poma's,otherwise have some runs down Scott's, I really like theruns around Scotts as its generally not so crowded.

Keep working your way around to Ruin Castle - there's some nice blacks here and the blue's get a little steeper here too. I love doing the Big Dipper - you turn left off the chair and blast down the run as fast as you can so you hopefully get all the way to the top of the hill on the other side. Hike to the top of the dipper and ski around the back of the hill and back to the lift (you end up on southface I think)

At the top of Big Dipper you will see a hill behind you that generally has a cat track going up it. You can hike this and get fresh lines if you dont mind working for your turns....it is just outside the Resort Boundary so take a friend. Generally only a dozen other people do this so its nice to carve out some fresh lines,get to the bottom (watch out there's a creek you have to cross that is generally snowed over) and admire you handywork.

From the top of Ruin Castle you can also head out towards Mt Mckay. You can traverse a fair way without strapping out. drop down into the gully and get some fresh turns - head back towards Ruined Castle.

The Maze is only good if there is decent snow cover,but there are some epic black runs through trees here....once again you have the Poma, but you also have the Summit Lift and you can always catch Gully Lift and then Sumit Lift if you want to avoid the Poma...just takes a little longer.

All of the home runs are lots of fun too, lots of little bumps to launch off, so the ride home is always fun. Sometimes I like crusing around the home runs like The Last Hoot or doing the blacks around Eagle Chair.

have fun dude - hope the snow starts coming soon for you!

Awesome response.  Thanks for the detailed layout.  Will have to get the trail map and some highlighters out soon. 
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Innocence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2010 at 2:03am
Originally posted by Jago

Perisher!!!

2nd that!
gravey View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gravey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2010 at 6:19am
no probs iGBH - in short, board the whole resort on the first day and find the runs that suit your ability, but start around Towers and do each run on the way to Ruined Castle.....then there's the Maze too - dont worry nothing is ridiculously steep
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dongypro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2010 at 2:15pm
this year thredbo has the big jump balloon ready for those people who are afraid to land big tricks. i really want to go to check it out since its up and running now this year.. would be great to get some video feeds for youtube.

feimao View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote feimao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2010 at 7:57pm
falls and hotham are my favourite..

can't really pick one over the other..

both are just as good
egitr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote egitr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2010 at 8:25pm
Buller for day trips

and Hotham/Falls for longer trips

Favorite is Hotham
mikey_mikey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote mikey_mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2010 at 8:30pm
Have always been to Hotham for longer trips. Still remember made first time a falls. Had some major stacks there so some bad memories
djmikeyc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmikeyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2010 at 11:17pm
Id have to say Buller and Hotham easy to get to and good runs
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote da640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 4:21am
I have only been to thredbo perished and falls an I'd have to say perisher is my favourite because of the number of mountains
calinya View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote calinya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2010 at 3:52pm
Thredbo for the long runs.

I've never been to NZ or VIC.
Witters View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Witters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:26am
Went to falls for the first time this year. I was surprised at how many skiiers there were compared to the number of boarders. Maybe cos I was there during school holidays, or is it always this way at falls?
shoshannah View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote shoshannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 12:38am
just got back from concrete peak haha but it wasn't too bad. getting alot more snow than perisher this year. but i do like that perisher is spread over 4 peaks.
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Quote SVS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 1:04am
Which ones get the most snow in an average season?
We are is what we think
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote iGBH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 3:31pm

Generally NSW gets more than Vic mountains.  In Victoria, Hotham and Falls normally get more than Buller. 

Very dependent on weather systems though because in the right conditions, Baw Baw can blow them all away!!
jayboorman View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jayboorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2010 at 6:19pm
Bullerrrrrr
Guest_270058 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Guest_270058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 5:56pm
Buller - so easy to get to from Melbourne for day trips!
kitcho4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote kitcho4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Guest_270058

Buller - so easy to get to from Melbourne for day trips!

yer i would have to agree with that, falls and hotham are just that little bit to far for a day trip, maybe for a few nights but not a day trip
elim View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote elim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2010 at 10:28pm
perisher, larger terrain and more variety to accommodate all levels of skills (which is a need for me as the group I go with ranges from beginners to advance).
21shua View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote 21shua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 4:40pm
I love Hotham, great terrain and awesome feeling.  Falls is good but gets a bit flat for snowboarding... I like the falls parks though.
never been interstate, but nothing compares to japan powder!
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote syphus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 2:17pm
from my experiences perisher

last 2 times ive been to therdbo it was bad weather so couldnt have the full experience on the fields...still have not been to vic yet..maybe it be good, not sure..but nz is very great..shits on aus any day..hehehe
xcell1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xcell1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 10:39pm
Thredbo
dave_sgnl_05 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dave_sgnl_05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by iGBH

I've only been to Hotham and Buller and much prefer the terrain at Hotham.  Sure it has some issues, but the terrain and the crowd make it a much better resort for my styles than Buller.

Heading to Falls this year for a week and have heard good things. 

Yeah Hotham is definately better.... but it's good to have Buller around as it weeds out all the try hards. They see Buller is closer and go there instead
bwen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 5:41am
Perisher for me as it's a place where I first started and learnt to board, I haven't been to buller yet but it's somewhere I'm keen on going to soon
joelpaton View Drop Down
Local
Local
Mt. Buller (Aus)

Quote joelpaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2010 at 11:46pm
Really like Buller except for the crowds, though i went to Baw Baw yesterday and the rails and jumps there are pretty sweet no lines for lifts and cheaper by far than the other resorts, not bad for a bit of a muck around.
Neslot View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Coronet Peak 28th July 2010

Quote Neslot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2010 at 6:55am
Thredbo in a good season with some relativly fresh snow is a world class resort, highest and longest runs in Aus :).
Ash85 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Ash85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2010 at 2:26am
Perisher... just cos its the place I took my first my awkward falling leaf run... and ploughed into the hard pack coming off the lift.. ah the memories :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>