Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kitcho4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: stolen boards
    Posted: May/29/2010 at 2:29am
I was just wondering how often board theft is, and I'm not sure if i should get a lock for my board on not, any advice or story would be much appreciated
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 2:55am
If you don't buy a lock.. just use board check at the resorts.  At least you know it will be safe.
youngun92 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 10:16am
use the board check. if they cost too much money, i would bring a bike lock.
blawson327 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 10:30am
last year was my first year snowboarding, got out maybe 10 times and locked it up maybe half the time when my buddies brought their locks. I had no problems but even so I purchased a lock from sierra for a few bucks after the season ended so I'll have my own next year
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 10:31am
can buy a lock for the cost of a single board check rate
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 11:18am
up until now, i've had a cheap board and never cared or was worried about my board being stolen.  thankfully, knock on wood none of my friends have had theft problems as they run high end boards (no locks either!)  

i'm a bit paranoid though. bought all this new gear from SS, so i am going to use a lock to act at least as a deterrent.  not to mention that the areas i go riding don't have board check either :(
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 11:28am
I've always locked my board up if I'm going to be away from it for an extended period of time.   Locks are cheaper than replacing boards and bindings. Wink
Here it's December everyday.
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 11:38am
never had my board stolen, but a lock is always handy cuz i wouldnt trust ANYONE at a mountain.
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
TZR View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
011 Artistic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 11:50am
My friend lost his board in Japan Naeba Ski Resort.

After that, I never put my snowboard out of my eyes.

HK snowboarder
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 12:15pm
I've never had my board stolen before.  If you have nice equipment, just don't let it outta your sight!  Sometimes I even bring it into the lodge with me despite being stared at by some people.  As for board locks, the wires are so thin it could easily be cut with a pair of pliers.
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 12:18pm
I've had cheap boards up until now so I haven't had any problem with thefts, but I board a V Rocker off of SS so I grabbed a lock to go along with the order. Only like 4 bucks for a little more protection of a $300 investment. I'll take that. I don't think many people will try to steal a board with a lock on it while there are so many others without locks on them.
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by marble49

I've never had my board stolen before.  If you have nice equipment, just don't let it outta your sight!  Sometimes I even bring it into the lodge with me despite being stared at by some people.  As for board locks, the wires are so thin it could easily be cut with a pair of pliers.

A pair of pliers would be awkward to cut open that, wouldn't take a quick snip.  You probably mean a small wire cutter.  Takes just a snip on most "snowboard" locks.   Grab a thick chained bike lock.  They are cheaper and can be fore general use.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 12:45pm
a lock is always a good deterrent my girlfriend had her board stolen before she started locking it up
comclovin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by eriklim

Originally posted by marble49

A pair of pliers would be awkward to cut open that, wouldn't take a quick snip.  You probably mean a small wire cutter.  Takes just a snip on most "snowboard" locks.   Grab a thick chained bike lock.  They are cheaper and can be fore general use.

This really depends on the lock itself.  Also, if you have a pair of wire cutters out and cutting off a lock, you'd likely be bringing more attention to yourself than you wanted, although I don't doubt it happens still. 
Here it's December everyday.
stehoul199 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 1:02pm
I have never had my board stolen but I know guys whos boards have been stolen before. Its stupid not to use a lock. When you spend a lot of money on a board and bindings the extra $10 for a lock shouldnt matter. Its a good way to keep your board safe. 
marble49 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 1:09pm
Yes I meant wire cutter.  The smaller ones I used for installing my audio system is no bigger than your palm.  That would probably work for the thinner wire locks I've seen around - one snip and that's it.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 1:34pm
I never had my board stolen but then again I never leave my board out of my sight.  If you spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars for your board and bindings then why would you leave it unlocked and out of sight that anyone can just walk up and steal it?  It's not very hard to steal a board that's not locked especially with no one watching.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:24pm
My sisters' boards were stolen...but that's because a crackhead broke into the ride and stole it. Other than that, a friend of my had his board stolen in Diamond Peak and it was a Lamar!  Funny thing was, he rolled with some other friends who rode a custom X and a T6 and no one touched their board. The thieves probably did him a favor.Tongue
tl84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:29pm
I've never had any boards stolen. I always keep an eye out when I rack it. I always go with a group of people so just ask someone to keep an eye on it while I go to the bathroom or grab a snack. I also use a board lock and it works so far.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:50pm
buy a lock fool.
krazykraka View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:51pm
No boards have been stolen from me.  Im going to buy a lock for the upcoming season just in case.  The board checkin is full sometimes so i have to to leave it out.  
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:55pm
Definitely get a lock.  I prefer a thick bike lock.  Lock it up on a fence in the morning then grab it when I need it, so I dont have to carry it around all day.  Even a thin wire snowboard lock is good to have.  Yes they can be cut with very little effort, but its more effort than grabbing the board next to yours that isnt locked.  Thin snowboard locks are basically just a deterrent because it makes your board more work to walk away with than someone elses.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 3:59pm
neither me or any of our friends have ever had our boards stolen. Just had someone keep a close eye on it or had it locked. Locks are pretty cheap, so alittle money for a piece of mind is always a good investment Big smile
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
bitteralex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 4:18pm
I've never had my board stolen.. nor have any of my friends...
but now i actually have a board worth stealing.. so i'm probably gonna buy a lock this year...

if you're worried about theft... just buy a lock as a deterrent
"Did you know that policemen are called cops because their badges used to made of copper?"
"That's cool... then why are they called pigs?"
madmike3 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 4:24pm
It takes just an extra minute and few bucks to make your board that much more safe from being jacked, buy the lock. And then if it gets stolen you can just know you did the best you could.
Tbone666 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 4:28pm
I originally posted this same question and after reading  many responses, believe nearly any lock will act as a deterrent for short periods of time.  However, after doing some research, you may be better served by one of those locks with a thicker 5-8 mm cable diameter.  Much harder to cut with small wirecutters.  Of course, you leave your stuff alone for long periods and no lock will prevent theft.  These thicker locks are not snowboard specific...they can be used for anything.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 4:38pm
I used to secretly hope someone would steal my board so I could justify buying a new one.  Now I love my board so I lock it up every time.  One of the snowboard instructors at kirkwood had his board stolen while i was there this year. A sweet libtech too.
Timmay_650 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Tbone666

I originally posted this same question and after reading  many responses, believe nearly any lock will act as a deterrent for short periods of time.  However, after doing some research, you may be better served by one of those locks with a thicker 5-8 mm cable diameter.  Much harder to cut with small wirecutters.  Of course, you leave your stuff alone for long periods and no lock will prevent theft.  These thicker locks are not snowboard specific...they can be used for anything.

Not many people carry small wirecutters while snowboard and why deal with wirecutters when you can just grab one.
Coelispex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lil Grom

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 5:10pm
Use board check. Locks are a deterrent, they don't even have to cut the wire, as long as they have a phillips head screwdriver. Nothing is going to get between your board and someone who really wants it other than a guy that wants a ticket or number to get it back.
Don't get mad at your boss, just get apathetic about work
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 5:43pm
I have always used the gear check at the resorts, but it's ridiculously expensive.  I plan on buying a lock next year before the season starts, so I won't have to worry about it.  It won't be a complete deterrent.  If someone wants my gear, they'll find a way to get it, but it is going to be way less expensive than getting my gear checked time after time.  
Besides, some of the smaller resorts I've been to don't have gear check, and have heard that stolen gear is rampant and one of the places I go.  Since I bought my new board, I'm definitely going for a lock next season.
Let's just hope that I'll be able to answer no after next year.
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 8:00pm
so many threads about this but ive never had my board stolen. your best bet is to get a lock or have a buddy look after it
shop_45296 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 8:03pm
board theft is pretty rare, considering how easy it would be to take one.  still, i like to lock mine up.  maybe its because im from nyc..
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 8:10pm
it really depends on where your going. alot of the place l go are pretty good, everyoen sorta knows most people, can't get away with it that easily. But some places its so easy to take it because sometimes you can ask someone to "try" their board, and they'll actually let you (without leaving your own board behind". l know, mentally challenged
masterduc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 8:41pm
man. so sad to hear people stealing boards. that's just jacked up
yc5405 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 9:42pm
My girlfriend's board was stolen once!!

We rent board from the resort that time and I think because every rent board looks the same so someone probably got a wrong one(maybe)

anyway, we don't have to pay at the end. A staff from the resort told us don't worry about it.

We will never leave our boards out of sight without security again!!
Jaques View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by yc5405

My girlfriend's board was stolen once!!

We rent board from the resort that time and I think because every rent board looks the same so someone probably got a wrong one(maybe)

anyway, we don't have to pay at the end. A staff from the resort told us don't worry about it.

We will never leave our boards out of sight without security again!!

The staff is really nice. Is there any security guy checking ur board when u leaving resort?
l1sproductions916 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 9:55pm
idk but my friend got his stolen..
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 9:57pm
i ride my custom x, and it's like my baby.

the board is always in my line of sight
akaja24 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 9:58pm
If you really don't want your board stolen, either check it, keep it within reach, or have a friend watch over it. Those locks are weak. IF someone wanted to steal your board and you had a lock on it, they could get through it pretty quickly. The only thing those locks do is deter people, make them take an extra second to get to it, or make them cause a scene in trying to pry it open. Granted these are good things, but again, if they really wanted it... they'd get it. Not worth the money. My friend had a lock once but it broke... so we had to break it to get his board free, it was pretty easy.

Keeping an eye on it is the best solution.
kitcho4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 10:09pm
thanks guys i really like the idea of leaving the bike lock locked to a fence so you don't have to carry it with you the idea
jesper_45 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2010 at 10:20pm
definatly buy a lock you can't trust ne1 these days
elnino View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 12:10am
It cant hurt to have it. The board checks are great but not always open. Small price to protct you board.
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 12:18am
i always keep my eye on my board or keep it near. don't want to lose my board or I know it'll ruin my snow trip :(

funkify4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 1:03am
i think i might get a lock soon.  i'm started to hear more and more about stolen boards.
GIP View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 1:45am
I also try not to leave my board far from me. Just keep an eye and everything's gonna be alright =)
iGBH View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 2:45am
I'll always lock the Vapor up.  Sure a lock won't stop someone determined, but it will stop the opportunist. 

In fact, i lock all my boards regardless of value.  Its just too easy to grab a board and go.  Plus, when you consider the cost of binding too, even a cheap board going missing is bad.

On the plus side, never had anything stolen yet. 
09 Burton Vapor | 09 Skate Banana | 10 Sierra Stunt
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 10:40am
Lock your board up---everytime.. FTW..
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 10:45am
Most resorts add the ski check option when you buy your pass.
I always get it. Its something like 30 bucks and they let you check a
backpack too. I sometimes just check a bag with beers and food
so I dont have to walk all the way out to my car......
hana24 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 10:51am
I always have someone watching my board.  I either use the complimentary ski check at my resorts or just bring the board with me.  Although I am kinda careless when it comes to my rock board since it's so dinged up and damaged. 

Worth the extra trouble of securing your board when if a board does goes missing, it'll ruin your entire day.  

ishidamoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2010 at 10:57am
never had my board stolen, but i dont know where to get a lock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>