Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: College Football Re-alignment
    Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:27pm
 Colorado joined the PAC 10, Nebraska also ditched the big 12 and joined the big ten.  Boise State joined the Mountain West.  Also there is a lot of speculation that a few more teams will join the pac 10.  What was wrong with the old conference setup?  Feel like the big 12 is getting screwed.  I am a mountain west fan so BSU going to play there is great.

akaja24 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:28pm
PAC10 FTW. or whatever they're gonna call it now...

GO DAWGS.
got'em!!!
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:32pm
SEC baby! Go Gators!! Not sure how we will do this year...but I am anxious to find out! Anyone in here do fantasy football? WE should start a league!
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:48pm
I heard about Colorado joining the Pac-10 earlier, but not Nebraska. This is going to be very weird. Shtook tradition, I suppose.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:50pm
They are saying , Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, and either texasAM or utah will likely be joining the PAC 10 and it will become the PAC 16.  Kansas and k-state might then join the Mountain west with BYU, TCU, and BSU.
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by dking

I heard about Colorado joining the Pac-10 earlier, but not Nebraska. This is going to be very weird. Shtook tradition, I suppose.

dking nebraska is joining the big ten not the pac 10
GeckosGoMoo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 1:58pm
I'm gonna miss the big twelve... *sniffle* Though, I think this is actually going to end up really well for Nebraska. GO BIG RED. WOOH.
I'm a dance floor tiger lady bumping everything she has, touching every single lad, rubbing every lady bad.
kinthur View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 2:12pm
As a Texas fan, I'm not really worried about where my team ends up as long as we can schedule Oklahoma and Texas A&M (pretty sure at least OOC scheduling will happen). I'm just enjoying all the drama. Most of the sports boards are full of emo for some reason.

In the short term I think the Big Ten would be the most lucrative for TV deals and research grants. For the best football I'd have to say Texas would have to join the SEC at this time. PAC 10 right now shows the most potential for growing into new markets. I think Texas will do what they think is best for the bottom line.
trosy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Ginger

Colorado joined the PAC 10, Nebraska also ditched the big 12 and joined the big ten.  Boise State joined the Mountain West.  Also there is a lot of speculation that a few more teams will join the pac 10.  What was wrong with the old conference setup?  Feel like the big 12 is getting screwed.  I am a mountain west fan so BSU going to play there is great.

Being a Sooner fan who enjoyed the days of the Big 8 & Big 12, it's pretty sad to see this happening.  But it all really comes down to is money.  The lucrative deals TV that the other conferences have are the main causes of this.  The Big12's contract is no where near the SEC or Big10.  It's great for the Pac10, who really only had USC consistanly in the upper echelon of college football, to be able to pick up OU and Texas.  Since USC was hit with sanctions, bringing in these other teams would be a great boost to the conference.  It will be a sad day if OU and Tex end up in different conferences.

I get a good chuckle thinking about how people thought a play-off would ruin all the great traditions of college football & now look at what they've done.
kinthur View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 2:32pm
Right. If it turns into 4 super conferences each with their own championship then we'd have ourselves a de facto playoff system.

Though losing the voting drama would mean losing some weekly entertainment and suspense.
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 2:41pm
Absolutely hate it. Latest news on KState and ku is the big east, which I hate even more because I won't be able to drive to away games and they likely won't be televised

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 2:57pm

Tradition? the Big 12 has only been around for maybe 20 years. I can remember when Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, and Baylor were all part of the Southwest Conference. 
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
slizel View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The Olympic Dream

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 2:58pm
Either way we wont have to worry about USC for 2 year and some. All their players get free tranfers to colleges without having to sit out a year. So a lot of other teams will be getting beefed up. UCLA all the way baby!!!!
dbowles View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by slizel

Either way we wont have to worry about USC for 2 year and some. All their players get free tranfers to colleges without having to sit out a year. So a lot of other teams will be getting beefed up. UCLA all the way baby!!!!
. Only juniors and seniors.

And the big 12 was formed in 96' but they were the big 6 and 8 before adding the south schools

My blog.
Go there it's what the cool people are doing
Snoho View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 4:12pm
I think its great. It will be interesting to see where everyone is when the dust settles. Are we going to see 4 super conferences? A playoff style format to find the champions?  No more BCS?

'12 Burton Custom Flying V 162W
'12 Burton Custom X 162W
leadfootedfool View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 4:33pm

They are saying , Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma state, and either texasAM or utah will likely be joining the PAC 10 and it will become the PAC 16.  Kansas and k-state might then join the Mountain west with BYU, TCU, and BSU.

Wow, if that happens you won't have to hear about the SEC weiners all the time.  Get's annoying listening to them because they show very little respect to big 12 teams and absolutely none to Pac10 teams.
NateMoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 4:39pm
I think that we're on our way towards a non-two team inclusive BCS playoff championship season. How great would it be if we had a six team playoff (NFL) with the champions from the 4 super conferences that look like they are forming being apart of it, along with two at large teams with the best AP, BCS, or whatever ranking and the top two out of the top six mentioned getting a first round bye.
NateMoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 4:48pm
It's not like we had to worry about USC anymore, they were definitely on the decline. They simply were not and are not going to be considered an elite team because for multiple reasons true football players didn't want to play for them and the super talented athletes that they were and still are recruiting don't care about winning football games for their team but rather how they were portrayed with positive stats or the limelight that is So. Cal. I think that's why Pete Carroll left rather than Reggie Bush. Just look at last year as an indication. They have just as much NFL talent as anyone else yet they can't even beat the smart kids of Stanford. So much for USC.
tazsurf View Drop Down
Local
Local
Me and my nephew

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 6:00pm
It's been crazy watching all this unfold!  Big 12 has great schools and sports programs and I was surprised to see all this happening.  I sometimes watch Big 12 games on ESPN360.  We're excited about the chance to add some more schools here in the SEC if some of them decide to join us.
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 8:49pm
iv heard nd is trying to get into the Big 10 again as is Missouri, thatd be sick. Lol and they can keep the name cuz even without nebraska theres 11 teams in the "Big Ten"  
Protect your domes
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 9:02pm
USC ALL THE WAY! even witht he new coach, they still gonna own :D
John-John View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lake Run

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2010 at 9:23pm
C.U. in the Pack 10

Boulder, Colorado is coming to the west coast

hells yes
akaja24 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 2:14am
Originally posted by dvdngu

USC ALL THE WAY! even witht he new coach, they still gonna own :D

not if all their juniors and seniors bolt to a team who actually can participate in the post season. hahahaha.
got'em!!!
akaja24 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 2:14am
Originally posted by John-John

C.U. in the Pack 10

Boulder, Colorado is coming to the west coast

hells yes

uhhh... it's PAC 10. as in Pacific 10....

regardless... welcome.
got'em!!!
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 5:43am
I think the idea of the superconference is pretty dumb idea. In football, a team will play 8 conference games so 7 of their games will be within their own division and the other will be from the other division. So of the 8 other teams in the division, they'll end up only playing then once every 8 years.
Snoho View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 6:12am
With the super conference you might see the season get a little longer  12 to 14  conference games and a couple of bigger out of conference games 16 game season.    If a Conference went to 16 teams  2 - 8 team divisions. You play your division and half of the other division every other year with a chance to see any of them in a conference championship game.

Better prep for the NFL, Better TV contracts, More money for the schools.  Sounds win win to me. 

'12 Burton Custom Flying V 162W
'12 Burton Custom X 162W
Bord_Life View Drop Down
Local
Local
Jenn and I hikig Big Schloss in Wolf Gap, VA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 6:44am
Not sure how this will make it that great.  If your division is 10 more teams and depending on how they are aligned you could end up with very weak teams all in one section and strong in another so would make conference champ game suck.  You have that in the smaller conferences already, i would rather see it the way it is in my opinion.

And it would make it more than 4 pwr conferences....

ACC
Big East
SEC
Pac 10
Big Ten

so thats 5 right there and you throw in the other bcs eligible conferences and you are still having the same argument for not being able to to a playoff style elimination for national title...

In memory serves me right they cannot play more than 16 or 18 reg season games in college football.  So they couldn't extend the season...

aswagel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 6:52am
Big 12 doesnt offer enough money incentive thats why most of them are leaving the conference the Big Ten network gives the schools a extra 4-5 mil a year.
aswagel View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 6:55am
Because of Nebraska's location the only conference that really made sense for them to leave the Big 12 was the Big 10 because lincoln is on the far east side of the state, it will be interesting now to see what happens to missouri due to the fact they were the first to say they wanted in the Big 10
Nate042 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 7:44am
Yea Mizzou got themselves screwed by saying they would leave the Big 12 to go to the Big 10 and now not getting asked to join the Big 10.
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 9:52am
If it is not SEC is it really worth talking about?  I mean, there is really no contest who the dominate conference is, even with some rearranging in other conferences.  I doubt any conferences wants to be as competitive as the SEC in football because of the way that football works.  If they had playoffs, then maybe they would want to build a conference that could compete with the SEC. However, as long as they do this bowl bs then they won't want to play good teams every game, something the SEC schools have to deal with.  
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
espnsportsfan View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 11:17am
I feel like Mizzou is going to end up in the Mountain West, that's assuming the Big Ten doesnt give them a late bid
Boards: Sierra Crew 155, Burton Dominant 155 Bindings: Flow NXT-AT, Union Datas Boots: 32 Prion
solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 12:37pm
the realignment is all about how the Pac10 can generate more money with the TV networks. To make a litlle more geographic sense the Pac10 could make hundreds of thousands with Bosie State, SD, etc. but they're going for millions with Texas, Okalahoma, etc.
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 12:42pm
At least in football terms, how can you call the ACC a power conference?  Basketball sure but not football at all.  
hisnameisdre View Drop Down
Local
Local
Magic Bullet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 1:03pm
I heard notre dame might be joining the Big Ten, which I think would be pretty cool
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 1:29pm
looking forward to Texas joining pac 10!!! wow!! USC VS TEXAS? that's a bowl game!! eventhough it won't make any sense for the next couple of years since SC's prohibited to go to any bowl game...too harsh!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 1:49pm
I hate that all these colleges are moving conferences, it is going to destory college sports.  
drones1616 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Learning to ride.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

I hate that all these colleges are moving conferences, it is going to destory college sports.  

^^ I totally agree.

Although part of me is happy that the Big Ten was able to finally add a twelfth team (the Big Ten could really benefit from a conference championship game like the SEC has), I am really sad to see the total destruction of the Big 12. All the realignments could really jack stuff up. I'm definitely not a fan of consolidating all the powerhouse schools into a few super-conferences.
Ride for Jesus? PM me.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 3:40pm

At least in football terms, how can you call the ACC a power conference?  Basketball sure but not football at all.  

They have 2 of the last 12 national champions.(1999 FSU, 2001 Miami, Big East at the time)

If you include Miami and Virginia Tech, the ACC has the third best winning % and the second most wins in the BCS championship game since it's inception, behind the SEC which hasn't lost a BCS championship game they've played in, which leads me to my next point,

Originally posted by leadfootedfool

Wow, if that happens you won't have to hear about the SEC weiners all the time.  Get's annoying listening to them because they show very little respect to big 12 teams and absolutely none to Pac10 teams.

In order for you to stop hearing about the "SEC weiners" someone needs to beat them. This would also be a good way to start getting them to show some respect for your conferences. In the 12 years of the BCS, the SEC is 6-0 in title games, Big 12 is 2-5, and the Pac 10 is 1-1. 

Respect and praise is earned through winning. So, no, adding teams to the conference does not get you any respect and until you earn that respect through winning you'll just have to be annoyed listening to how good the SEC is, because they back their ish up.
Ginger View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 3:53pm
Talks about Kansas, Kansas state, and Missouri possibly joining the Mountain West Conference.  Baylor, or texas AM will likely either be joining the SEC or the PAC 10.  If anyone else hears anything else post it here to keep us updated.

If miami and FSU can bounce back then i would agree with you and i have no idea if they will.  What have FSU' and miami's records been like the last 9 years?
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 7:18pm
the pac 16 will be great.  I can't wait to see Oklahoma and Texas on the reg in California.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 7:21pm
Finally, the Pac-10 will get respect from east coast BCS voters.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
Scott303 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 8:17pm
Pack 10 is going to be one of the best Conferences out there now, its about time. Oh and by the way USC is not going to be as good as all you guys think. They lost everyone that made USC the way it was to the NFL. They lost all their coaches and the team isn't the way it has been in the past even if the didn't lose all the coaching staff. It will be many years before USC gets back to the way it was.

Go DUCKS!!!

Scott303 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by barnyard

the pac 16 will be great.  I can't wait to see Oklahoma and Texas on the reg in California.
You won't see Oklahoma and Texas in Cal hardly ever because the confrence will be split east and west and not north and south. You will maybe only see them if you go against them in the confrence championship game.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2010 at 9:08pm

I heard about Colorado joining the Pac-10 earlier, but not Nebraska.

dking nebraska is joining the big ten not the pac 10

I was saying I hadn't heard about Nebraska changing conferences, not specifically which conference. Guess I should've been clearer.

I also hadn't heard about the "PAC-16".  That's going to take some getting used to. I suppose they'll have two divisions for football... they already hadn't been playing all of the other teams in the "PAC-10".
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 4:39am
The word here in the Southeast is the SEC is in talks with Texas A&M and Virgina Tech for conference expansion. The PAC-10 can expand all they want they still have to prove it on the field. Conference expansion is all about TV money and the fans will get screwed by not being able to keep up increased travel costs to folow their favorite team. If there ends up being four sixteen team super conferences it's just going to make it harder for teams to get a shot at a national title.  What will happen to all the schools that don't get in the supposed super conferences? Do they just continue to play for no reason? 
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 5:22am

Talks about Kansas, Kansas state, and Missouri possibly joining the Mountain West Conference.  Baylor, or texas AM will likely either be joining the SEC or the PAC 10.  If anyone else hears anything else post it here to keep us updated.

If miami and FSU can bounce back then i would agree with you and i have no idea if they will.  What have FSU' and miami's records been like the last 9 years?

FSU 74-42, with vacated wins 62-42, not counting Vacated win seasons, they still haven't had a losing season since 1976, and play a lot of good teams every year.

Miami 81-32.

but more to the point when your talking about the ACC, other than Duke, where are the powder puffs? Duke is pretty much the only team that just sucks. Every other team in the ACC is a major school, with a major program.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 5:25am
Originally posted by ddomski

Finally, the Pac-10 will get respect from east coast BCS voters.

again, not until they earn it.
peterp87 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 5:52am
Originally posted by Snoho

With the super conference you might see the season get a little longer  12 to 14  conference games and a couple of bigger out of conference games 16 game season.    If a Conference went to 16 teams  2 - 8 team divisions. You play your division and half of the other division every other year with a chance to see any of them in a conference championship game.

Better prep for the NFL, Better TV contracts, More money for the schools.  Sounds win win to me. 

I really don't see having such long seasons in college football just because they are still students and still have school. Also its not just about football (even though thats the main one making most the money) but all the other athletics like basketball, etc.
Bord_Life View Drop Down
Local
Local
Jenn and I hikig Big Schloss in Wolf Gap, VA

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2010 at 6:20am
Ginger The ACC is considered a powerhouse in football when you have as many teams each year going to major bowl games.  As a football conference they are improving every year and if you look at the numbers they are more a of a power house than the Pac-10 for the past 5 years.  Other than USC and the every other year the Ducks show up the Pac-10 hasn't been that great, which would be the other reason they are going after Texas, Ok, and Ok state they want the money but need better competition to be relevant.

Also the talent level that the ACC has been putting into the NFL the past five years has been as good as any other conference....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>