Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 2122232425 29>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Online Status: Offline
  Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official UFC Thread
    Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 5:10pm
thats how it always are.. the only difference is it is on friday this week 
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 5:13pm

Here's my predictions for tomorrows main fights:

Featherweight bout: Nam Phan vs. Jimy Hettes[1]
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexander Gustafsson[1]
Welterweight bout: Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks[1]
Lightweight bout: Nate Diaz vs. Donald Cerrone[1]
Heavyweight bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem[1]

'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 5:13pm
l ahve to argue that nate is the better one, and your pretty much spot on for the rest 
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 5:29pm
i personally hate diaz, so my choice on who may win is pretty bias LOL
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 5:59pm
I don't know who Overeem is, and even though Brock may come off as an a-hole, I read somewhere that he's a pretty chill guy. I'd have to go with Brock tomorrow
stevo05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote stevo05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/29/2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by rurchan

I don't know who Overeem is, and even though Brock may come off as an a-hole, I read somewhere that he's a pretty chill guy. I'd have to go with Brock tomorrow

lol since when does being "chill" help you win a fight? 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 5:40am
Never heard of Alistair Overeem? Are you kidding me? The only chance Brock hs is his wrestling and that's if he can avoid getting tagged. Everyone knows he doesn't like getting punched. Now he's gonna get punched and kicked and kneed and elbowed!
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 8:20am
I hope we see Brock come back tonight.  Otherwise, sadly I think he'll be irrelevant in the UFC.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/30/2011 at 3:09pm
meh, brock to me has always been a cash grab for the ufc in terms of wwe fans. Pretty sure he will never be relevant.If you ever watched those primetime shows leading up to the brock vs cain fight you would know what i mean. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2011 at 3:34am
Overeem vs Dos Santos will be an insane fight! On the fence with this one but leaning towards Overeem. But would love to see JDS defend.

Cowboy with an ugly fight tonight. Just wasn't comfortable from the ge tgo. Diaz was too much with the stockton slap.

And poor Jfitch. What can you say about that? Yikes
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2011 at 4:27pm
overeem is a beast.  I think he takes the strap from Dos Santos.  

fitch getting ktfo was hilarious.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 8:55am
Nam Pham was a upset, same with fitch was expecting Alot more
ktown View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ktown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 9:03am
Well for n Pham"s fight he wasn't given a chance to showcase his skillset
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 9:18am
Glad to see Brock retire. He's never been anything more than an overrated cash grab for WWE fans to venture into UFC. He's got little if any MMA skill, and zero chin. Maybe now he can go back to WWE and perform to his full potential, which i can only assume is hitting someone with a chair and yelling into a microphone.
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 10:10am
Originally posted by giftedhands

Glad to see Brock retire. He's never been anything more than an overrated cash grab for WWE fans to venture into UFC. He's got little if any MMA skill, and zero chin. Maybe now he can go back to WWE and perform to his full potential, which i can only assume is hitting someone with a chair and yelling into a microphone.

I agree, he was a big, muscular freak of nature but he could never take a hit. He looked timid that whole fight with Overeem.
winn View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my collection

Quote winn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 1:36pm
^ he was never really a great fighter if he cant take a hit if you think about it. 
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 7:24pm
i love how everyone dismisses him so quickly.  I mean, he was the ufc heavyweight champion and beat Frank Mir and Randy Couture with minimal training.  So what if he's not the baddest man on the planet anymore...  at one point, he was.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 8:01pm
Nah, he just had the belt at one point. Which was gifted to him by Dana. He was 2-1 when he got a title shot, while Velasquez and Carwin were both undefeated fighters, at 6-0 and 11-0, respectively. He beat a 40 year old Couture who well past his prime, and split a series with Frank Mir. I can maybe give him credit for Carwin.. but he's nothing close to what I would call a skilled fighter. I'm glad to see him gone, now the heavyweight division can regain some credibility with people who actually know how to fight. Overeem vs JDS is going to be a fight between two actual fighters. Brock was just a large guy who laid on his opponents and rabbit punched. 
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 8:18pm
I wasn't talking about Brock being chill, so he's gonna win. I meant he's a great guy in general outside of the octagon so I was rooting for him. And I rarely watch UFC, that's why I don't know who Overeem is. I used to watch it back in the day with the Gracie family and Tito Ortiz. Then slowly stopped.
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 8:22pm
Lesnar was great for the UFC because he brought in a bunch of new fans. This doesn't mean he wasn't a good fighter. Winn is absolutely right that he couldn't take a hit. Every time he got punched hard he would put his hands over his head and start running away. Did it against Carwin, Valesquez, and Overeem. Love him or hate him, his short stint was good for the sport and his exit even better.

Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
rye View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2012 at 8:28pm
^+1 on those rabbit punches. he can only "fight" when he was the aggressor. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2012 at 3:39am
Aggressor or do you mean when he sat on his opponents?

I'm glad to see Lesnar gone aswell. Couldn't stand him. He was great for the sport tho like what ty said about bringin in new fans. Maybe he'll ask Vince for his old job back?
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2012 at 4:33am
well, we knew he didn't like being hit in the face, now we know he doesn't like being hit anywhere, period. lol.
my images won't show up dammit
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 10:35am
can't believe there's a ufc event this saturday, it's been so "quiet" with little hype leading up to it...
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 11:23am
^honestly, the week has been too much for me. l woudlnt be watching it anwyays. they had too mcuh fights in Nov/Dec time l need a break from it
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 11:47am
C'mon.. cant miss an Aldo fight! Those are always great battles. Or beatdowns. 
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 12:02pm
"or when he sat on his opponents" - hahahah, that's sooo funny cuz that's what I always thought of him as.
- Very true about how he brought in more fans and different kinds. He definitely helped out UFC become more well known and his exit was a great one. That last fight, talking about him crumbling to any type of hits, he just got through diverticulitis and Overeem targeted that area the whole time. So I'm pretty sure anyone would crumble if they repeatedly got nailed in that same spot after diverticulitis.
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/12/2012 at 12:17pm

Yeah, it sucks that injuries have kept Scarface from fighting as often as I'd like to see him to. He's very dynamic & powerful for a '45-pounder. Awesome striker... (duh?), esp them punishing leg kicks. Great TD defense. Superb jits, but doesn't use it since he loves to throw down. Clap

Anyone else notice that they've gone back to the 7pm start time for the main card? I liked the 6pm start better.Cry

Also, nice to see that they've got 4 prelim bouts set up for broadcast. Nice way to debut on FX! Thumbs Up

Oh, and I hope Omigawa can come away w/ a back-to-back win. I was bummed by his consecutive UD losses to start in the Octagon.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 3:41am
not sure if anyone saw but apparently if you d/l some ufc "app" on your xbox 360 you can then order the fight ppv free of charge.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 6:33am
heard about it aswell but apparently it kept crashing. sucks for anyone who actually tried to order the fight through xbox live. just another reason to stay away from microsoft.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2012/01/microsofts-ufc-giveaway-backfires-xbox-360-app-fails-during-fight.ars
lij1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lij1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 6:19pm
to bad brock and fedo couldnt fight in their "prime"
kel View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2012 at 7:20pm

true but too much happening at one time. l think l have some seasons disorder. feel so depressed nowadays LOL l know, sort of very random
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2012 at 12:03pm
WTF Rumble didn't make weight again? That's the third time. Someone might be getting the axe.

ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 8:56pm
Yeah. After the fight, White said that he was "probably going to get cut." I'm ready for the 28th to see Chael Sonnen get beat. He's a chump and I hope he gets kneed in the face when goes for a takedown.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 6:49am
Not a Sonnen fan, but he is the only chump to take it to Anderson. But of course he had to get fancy and we all know what the end result was. lol I see the fight going to decision but really hope Munoz destroys him.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 6:53am
Sonnen took it to Anderson because Sonnen was on steroids. I too, hope Munoz KO's him in devastating fashion.. I have zero tolerance for steroid users.
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote Shakazulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 7:08am

Sonnen took it to Anderson because Sonnen was on steroids. I too, hope Munoz KO's him in devastating fashion.. I have zero tolerance for steroid users.

Pot, meet kettle.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 7:15am
you go to hell you hippie hipster!
broys View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote broys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 7:41am
Anybody else see that ridiculous wheel-kick knockout by Edson Barboza? Hit the guy on the temple with his heel and the dude went stiff and fell like a board. Crazy KO.
ChiTownRon View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by broys

Anybody else see that ridiculous wheel-kick knockout by Edson Barboza? Hit the guy on the temple with his heel and the dude went stiff and fell like a board. Crazy KO.

Yeah, loved watching that. Probably the sickest spinning heel kick ever in mma.

Next card should be decent, but really looking forward to UFC Chicago. Got some sick seats to that card.
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 4:01am
sickest knockout i've seen, no questions asked. i thought it was hilarious that he knew it too, turned and walked away.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 1:09pm
Well it looks like Sonnen vs Munoz is scratched due to Munoz getting injured.

It's now going to be Sonnen vs Bisping at UFC Chicago for the #1 contender spot. And now they have to find a replacement for Maia to fight. Hopefully they find one soon. I'm disappointed that Sonnen can't fight Munoz but him fighting Bisping still should be a really solid fight.
Silent311 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Silent311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 2:04pm
lol at this thread... all the love and hate over Brock... the guy is a wrestler who couldnt overcome the his own one dimensional fighting style. He will never be considered a great. He was given a cookie when allowed to title fight. I would hate to be sucker punched by him, but fighting in a ring, he essentially is the bunny slope of MMA. Overeem on the other hand has been in the game for years and has a record to prove it.
The disappointing fight of the night for me was the Cowboy Diaz... I was hoping the cowboy would unleash and instead he played into the drama. He even flipped diaz off instead of touching gloves.
The fights last weekend were awesome. Referee ruined night for sure... Rumble came in overweight again...fine I get it...but in the fight, he took down the phenom and less then 10 sec the ref was getting them back on their feet. Seriously? Then Silva's beat down DQ on the older newb....he hit him ONCE in the back of the head and he was DQ'ed... Come ON! He will at least get it overturned as long as he fights the ruling and DANA at least said Silva will get a full WIN purse for his showing.  Aldo did what he does...no surprise there.

Silent311 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Silent311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 2:05pm
and yes Barbosas round house to the face was truly knock out of the night and i hope he got extra payout for it... that guy was zombie after too.

edit for more closure -

http://deadspin.com/5876227/edson-barbozas-roadhouse+style-face+kick-knockout-is-even-better-when-slowed-down-500
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 2:16pm
Brock was decent and I never hated on the guy. You guys have to realize how much the Diverticulitis really effected this guy. You have to give him props on trying to deal with it and continue fighting after surgery even if he didn't feel 100% healthy. In his last fight, you definitely know that had an effect on him especially since Overeem gave him some nasty knees to that area of his stomach.

This is what Brock said about having Diverticulitis. "I have a high threshold for pain, higher than most guys, and I couldn't deal with it. It felt like I had taken a shotgun blast to the stomach, and then someone poured in some salt and Tabasco and stirred it all up with a nasty pitchfork."    

Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 4:56pm
Barbosa's spinning heeler was the sickest KO interms of kicks hands down. The only one that could out do it would've been Pettis off the fence roundhouse to Henderson, but too bad it wasn't a KO. But KO's are getting more flashy and vicious these days.

Sucks that Munoz got injured but what was Joe silva thinking with Bisping as the replacement? Even if he beat Sonnen, he'd get picked apart in no time by Anderson. That match up would be a joke.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Von44

Barbosa's spinning heeler was the sickest KO interms of kicks hands down. The only one that could out do it would've been Pettis off the fence roundhouse to Henderson, but too bad it wasn't a KO. But KO's are getting more flashy and vicious these days.

Sucks that Munoz got injured but what was Joe silva thinking with Bisping as the replacement? Even if he beat Sonnen, he'd get picked apart in no time by Anderson. That match up would be a joke.

That won't really matter since I see Sonnen taking this fight. The reason for picking Bisping is that he's moved up on the list and he's due a title shot if he wins again. So it only makes sense to move him into the #1 contender fight. Still curious to who Maia fights now.

EDIT: Chris Weidman is now set to fight Demian Maia.
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 6:00pm
That heel kick was awesome. I can't believe that Bisping might have a title shot if he wins. Is the middle weight class that void of talent or is Silva so much better than everybody else that these guys don't seem worthy to challenge him? I would rather watch Belfort or Hendo take on Silva. Or even see Silva move up to LHW to fight Rashad Evans. 
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2012 at 6:13am
I honestly believe the MW div has a lot of talent but it's just that Anderson is on a whole different level that it just takes everyone else down a notch and makes them seem far less skilled. But Id like to see Vitor get another shot at the title or face the loser of Sonnen/Bisping before the title fight.

And I agree that Silva needs to move up a div eventualy and see how the LHW div measures up to him. No point beating up on the same bunch of guys again.
Local
Local

Quote ChiTownRon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2012 at 11:13am
Yeah, I think it would also be great if Silva moved up. But I doubt he will.

Some good fights on FX tonight. Taking Miller to win the main event.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 29>