Official UFC Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 23456 28>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official UFC Thread
    Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:12pm
It almost feels like the Couture vs. Toney fight is White's attempt to settle a pissing contest between boxing and UFC.  Well, the fact of the matter is that boxers get paid upwards of 10x more for title fights.  Which is better to watch?  Kind of depends on the fight in my mind.
First of all, I don't even like you. Second of all, I don't even drink...
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:22pm
thing about that is, to really decide 'the king of the ring' or boxing vs MMA, you'd have to have a MMA fighter vs a boxer fight in the octogon, and then have them fight in the boxing ring. Nobody expects a boxer to know crap about BJJ or have a ground game in any capacity. If Couture doesn't handily defeat Toney, its all a wash. and even if he does, I really don't care. putting a boxer in the UFC is a gimmick. it feels like WWE to me.
toonerz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote toonerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by E13

It almost feels like the Couture vs. Toney fight is White's attempt to settle a pissing contest between boxing and UFC.
That's definitely the reason why Toney is in the UFC. Couture is just gonna dump Toney on his ass and ground and pound away. Dana will make an example out of Toney and use this freakshow fight to further discredit boxing.

Of course it could totally backfire as every fight starts on the feet haha.
TahoeDreamin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TahoeDreamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:29pm
Its time for GSP and Spider to fight, but Dana isnt going to blow his wad and give us that fight.
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by TahoeDreamin

Its time for GSP and Spider to fight, but Dana isnt going to blow his wad and give us that fight.

This fight will not happen while these fighters are in their prime.  Once they are past their primes and searching for a big pay day, you'll probably see this fight (while neither will hold a championship) touted as a super fight.  Kind of like Lidell vs. Wanderlei.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:43pm
Id go as far to say this fight will not happen, at all. Silva is tired of fighting in the UFC, hes been trying to get out. He seriously has nothing left to prove. GSP isn't going to middleweight, and Silva isn't going to welterweight. Anderson Silva has fought as high as light heavyweight, theres no way in hell hes going to drop to 170 lbs. I love GSP, hes probably my no 2 or 3 favorite fighter, but i think he'd be easily handled by a healthy Silva.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 12:52pm
I was basically going to write the same thing GH.  GSP is one of my favs but I don't see him being able to handle Silva's size and striking ability.  GSP has been gun-shy ever since Serra and is now basically an active wrestler.  I don't see him being able to take Silva down as easily as he does the other 170 lbers.  Regardless, I don't see this fight ever happening.  To be honest I don't think GSP has any desire what so ever to fight Silva, but he doesn't want to come out and say it for fear of looking scared.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 1:06pm
I would personally like to see Silva move up to 205 and face somebody like Rashad Evans or Rampage Jackson. Maybe go for holding both belts. 
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by ty

I would personally like to see Silva move up to 205 and face somebody like Rashad Evans or Rampage Jackson. Maybe go for holding both belts. 

I really don't see him having the motivation to do that.  It's interesting to me that he is THAT dominant in the division and the UFC, in what SHOULD be one of the most highly contested belts, hasn't thrown anything at him that he hasn't overcome.  In my mind, that's what pisses Dana White off the most.  We're seeing stagnation of the champions.  We may need to call it the UFDC or Ultimate Fighting Defense of Championship.
k2snowboarder155 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
ready to hit the slopes

Quote k2snowboarder155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 1:46pm
didn't see it :p
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 3:47pm
crazy main event, just watched it and i can't believe sonnen let it slip at the end. Surprised me for sure, even with how the match started and being so dominant for 4 rounds.

I am pretty sure Silva never wanted to become champ in the 205 weight class when Lyoto was the champ since he said he respected lyoto and the belt was his. Now that lyoto doesn't have it, i don't see why he wouldn't move up and fight some better fighters.

'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 6:54pm
I've heard that Anderson Silva walks around 215-220 lbs, and loses weight for a few months then weight cuts for the last 7 days to make the 185 weight. When Silva was standing toe to toe with Griffin, Silva looked like the bigger fighter. I'm sure he'll be more comfortable and probably faster at 205 than 185 since he doesn't have to lose and cut too much weight. Plus he loves Big macs.
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 7:25pm
Come on E! You know you want to see Rampage vs. Silva! The king of slams vs.... well, the king.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
toonerz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote toonerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Surfs_up

I've heard that Anderson Silva walks around 215-220 lbs, and loses weight for a few months then weight cuts for the last 7 days to make the 185 weight. When Silva was standing toe to toe with Griffin, Silva looked like the bigger fighter. I'm sure he'll be more comfortable and probably faster at 205 than 185 since he doesn't have to lose and cut too much weight. Plus he loves Big macs.
chungeroni View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote chungeroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 9:02pm
^ hahahahhaa that's awesome. But, all this GSP/Silva fight not happening doesn't have to be completely true. White's also moaning about how he gives the fans what they want, so I figure if we b!tch enough, he might have to give in and try to convince silva and gsp to fight
Oh, I’m in no condition to drive. Wait a minute. I don’t have to listen to myself. I’m drunk.
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 10:45pm
GSP would be too small to fight Anderson. There is no way Anderson is going down to 170. GSP walks around 180-185. MIddle weight fighters usually walk around 210+. As talented GSP is I don't think he'll fare well against much bigger fighters.
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 5:37am
I cant wait to watch GSP vs Koscheck

ps. Lyoto drinks his own pee...........................................................................
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 9:10am

I think it'll be nice if there is less stupid drama on the UF this season.  I hope they keep it classy.

toonerz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote toonerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 12:16pm
It's a reality TV show; they want drama and stupid crap Hell they even give the fighters bottles of liquor lol.
clintoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
snoooooooooop

Quote clintoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 12:18pm
gsp vs silva end of story
ALL DAY EVERYDAY
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by clintoon

Very astute.  I wanna flag this as SPAM soooooo BAD.  Will everyone else without mod powers do so?  PLEASE.
s2bing View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote s2bing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by E13

I think it'll be nice if there is less stupid drama on the UF this season.  I hope they keep it classy.

If it was up to GSP, I bet it would be classy.  Unfortunately Koscheck's in the mix, so it will be a gong show.  Can't wait to see GSP take Kos to school at the end though.
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by E13

Originally posted by clintoon

Very astute.  I wanna flag this as SPAM soooooo BAD.  Will everyone else without mod powers do so?  PLEASE.

lol i thought the same thing E.
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Epicentre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by s2bing

Originally posted by E13

If it was up to GSP, I bet it would be classy.  Unfortunately Koscheck's in the mix, so it will be a gong show.  Can't wait to see GSP take Kos to school at the end though.

I can't wait to see GSP destroy Koscheck.... I've hated Koscheck since watching the first season of the ultimate fighter... He seems to try to hard to be a badass when he's really not. 
John Fitch has a while to wait for his title shot though.  Gonna be awhile until GSP/Koscheck fight happens and then gonna be a couple months at least after that.
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 9:49pm
^^^ I think this time Koscheck will learn from his mistakes. In their first fight Koscheck doesn't want to use his natural wrestling talent. Its really frustrating seeing him fight because he thinks he is a striker. He has decent striking but his talent is in wrestling. Koscheck has a 40-0 record in college wrestling it is freakin ridiculous. When he fought GSP the first time Koscheck trained mostly strikes and ignored wrestling. That backedfire cause GSP out wrestled him, GSP was able to take down Koscheck almost at will. If Koscheck focuses on his wrestling training it should be a good fight.
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Epicentre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 10:05pm
I don't know... GSP's wresting right now is second to none.  There was talk about him wrestling for Canada in the olympics and being a serious medal contender.  I think his size and strength also really helps him with that, but I don't think Koscheck could outwrestle GSP.
Don't you think Koscheck might have been focussing on his standup because he felt he couldn't match up with GSP on the ground?  I have no proof of that just an idea.  Koscheck's just too full of himself, thinks he's a striker and that he can do everything when he really cannot.  I wholeheartedly believe that both alves and fitch are higher in the welterweight division than koscheck.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 3:17am
Originally posted by Epicentre

I don't know... GSP's wresting right now is second to none.  There was talk about him wrestling for Canada in the olympics and being a serious medal contender.  I think his size and strength also really helps him with that, but I don't think Koscheck could outwrestle GSP.
Don't you think Koscheck might have been focussing on his standup because he felt he couldn't match up with GSP on the ground?  I have no proof of that just an idea.  Koscheck's just too full of himself, thinks he's a striker and that he can do everything when he really cannot.  I wholeheartedly believe that both alves and fitch are higher in the welterweight division than koscheck.

We'll see in due time, but GSP has better wrestling skils then koschek no doubt. That fight's going to be a 5 round wrestling fest. GSP has been pretty gun shy ever since his loss to serra. Also. the fact that he performs some of his subs incorrectly, shows he really doesn't work out the arm bar or kimura that often i think.

I would actually like to see the GSP vs Silva fight, just as Sonnen showed, Silva always had problems with a good wrestler. Obviously their weight difference would be met somewhere at a catch weight.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 4:24am
I think Toney is gonna catch Couture and drop him.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Mavis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 5:58am
Not that it has anything to do with this, but my guy friends always UFC me when im drunk. =[
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Mavis

Not that it has anything to do with this, but my guy friends always UFC me when im drunk. =[

I would love to know if this makes any sense to anyone else...
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:16am
lol somewhat, i guess she is saying that guys jump over her when she is drunk.........LOL

Maybe even put her in a triangle?
toonerz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote toonerz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:23am
Originally posted by E13

It's like when people say, "I train UFC." Using the brand name as if it were a verb or noun lol.
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:24am
Maybe she's asking for help because the beat the sh!t out of her when she's drunk.  If so, Mavis, you should know that that is NOT ok for a guy to do to you regardless of whether they tell you they're only doing it because they love you...
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote azn_dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:26am
lol very true, ground and pound =/= love
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Epicentre

Alves shouldn't be in the picture, the guy can't even make weight. Alves should move up to middle weight. This is is second time he couldn't make weight. Alves is a great striker but when faced against a wrestler there isn't much he can do. Fitch dominated him again.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 8:51am
Originally posted by toonerz

Originally posted by E13

It's like when people say, "I train UFC." Using the brand name as if it were a verb or noun lol.

good point, cause the folks i typically see in this situation are big on proper grammar
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 9:49am

Not that it has anything to do with this, but my guy friends always FUC me when im drunk. =[

Typo?  It actually makes more sense this way...
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 11:32am
Originally posted by E13

She's a chick she gets a free pass. Next time replace UFC with MMA or grapple. It's nothing like watching Pride when one of your buddies says "Your watching UFC again?"LOL
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 12:16pm

Originally posted by E13

She's a chick she gets a free pass. Next time replace UFC with MMA or grapple. It's nothing like watching Pride when one of your buddies says "Your watching UFC again?"LOL

See my replacement just above yours.  It completely fixes the statement and alleviates any misinterpretation...
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 11:32am
The death of this thread tells me how ridiculously unexcited everyone is for the next upcoming fight night...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 11:37am
The next couple cards aren't anything to write home about.  It doesn't mean the fights wont be good but they aren't anything I'm going to shell out $45 bucks for.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote E13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by E13

Not that it has anything to do with this, but my guy friends always FUC me when im drunk. =[

Typo?  It actually makes more sense this way...

I don't think anyone actually caught my little alteration here...
LaundryMonster View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaundryMonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 12:18pm
UFC 118 Joe Lauzon is back .. however hes fighting the pre show i hear :(

Cant wait till december for st pierre vs koscheck
Hopefully koscheck dies in the ring :)
Capita Horrorscope / Burton P1.1 / Thirtytwo Ultra Lights
Burton Custom V-Rocker LTD / Burton Cartel EST / Thirtytwo Lashed
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by LaundryMonster

UFC 118 Joe Lauzon is back .. however hes fighting the pre show i hear :(

Cant wait till december for st pierre vs koscheck
Hopefully koscheck dies in the ring :)

I despise KOS but I wouldn't want to see a major injury to any fighter.  NOW, I wouldn't mind seeing St Pierre holding up a tuft of blond fro for all the crowd to see after the fight Big smile
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 5:40am
did you guys see the report that carwin ordered steroids in 2006?
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 7:43am
sure didn't. Wouldn't matter in the UFC though, they've got plenty of supposed 'ex' steroid users. Shoulda asked Lesnar on how not to get caught.
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Epicentre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 7:46am
Yea but Carwin was the guy that was billed as the hardworker, completely clean, worked his ass off completely for what he has achieved.  Now it's another example of a great athlete linked to steroids.  The UFC just wanted a clean figurehead.

On a related heavyweight note, Lesnar vs Velasquez is booked for UFC 121 in October in Anaheim!  I actually like Velasquez's chances.  He's a solid wrestler who's been training with pro grade wrestlers of Lesner's size and wrestling ability.  I hear he can escape off of his back pretty well.

Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 8:02am
meh, thats neither here nor there for me. if its true about carwin, then its one ex-steroid user fighting another. UFC has really disgraced the heavyweight class imo, guys like JDS, carwin, and velasquez are now second fiddle to an ogre like lesnar. maybe disgraced is too strong a word, but its turned into a cartoon almost. i'd love to see velasquez take down lesnar, but its probably going to be another skill-less lesnar fight, where he lies on his opponent and baby punches him till the ref calls it.
Surfs_up View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Surfs_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 11:05am
Penn/Edgar: I'm waiting to see if BJ did really have an excuse, he said he had a sinus infection. After the fight Frankie threw out an excuse as well. He said he had  minor staff infection. It's time fighters stop making excuses and get down to business.

Tony/Couture: I don't know about this one, If anything I just want to see a boxer get beat in the UFC. Make up for what happen to Tim Sylvia, I still can't believe he got KO'ed by Mercer in an MMA match.

Florian/Maynard: I am pumped for this fight. It is about freakin time. Everybody talked how Maynard is the guy to beat BJ. I still think this guy has a lot to prove and Florian is the most transformed fighter in MMA right now. There will be a lot of fireworks thrown here.

Davis/Diaz: Another exciting match, this match doesn't look like it will go to a decision as both fighters love to stand up.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 11:13am

Penn/Edgar: I'm waiting to see if BJ did really have an excuse, he said he had a sinus infection. After the fight Frankie threw out an excuse as well. He said he had  minor staff infection. It's time fighters stop making excuses and get down to business.

Tony/Couture: I don't know about this one, If anything I just want to see a boxer get beat in the UFC. Make up for what happen to Tim Sylvia, I still can't believe he got KO'ed by Mercer in an MMA match.

Florian/Maynard: I am pumped for this fight. It is about freakin time. Everybody talked how Maynard is the guy to beat BJ. I still think this guy has a lot to prove and Florian is the most transformed fighter in MMA right now. There will be a lot of fireworks thrown here.

Davis/Diaz: Another exciting match, this match doesn't look like it will go to a decision as both fighters love to stand up.

Definately interested in seeing Diaz at 170 and not all dehydrated from the weight cut.  I see sub for Diaz in the first.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 28>