Flow Infinite

Boots:

Burton Moto
Burton Poacher

Bindings:

Burton Cartel
Burton Missions
Burton Custom

Pretty new to snowboarding, is this gear alright? Which of these (or any other similar $$$) would you recommend?

Cheers
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 7:34pm
if you want boots that will last, stay away from the motos, after some use, i came to realize how terrible they were. too much heel lift.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 7:39pm
ahk, anything else you would recommend then?
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 7:40pm
Burton Moto's are 100% TERRIBLE. Worst boots I have ever worn/owned. You definitely pay for quality in boots, so don't be cheap.

I have 32 TM-Two's and they are pure sex.

I'd pair up the Reverse Crew with Cartel Bindings, in my oppinion.

scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 7:51pm
http://www.tactics.com/thirtytwo/tm-two-snowboard-boots
those ones texass? $160 is alright.. i'd pay that

would a reverse crew be harder to use when getting the basics down?
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 7:51pm
Scott, it all depends on your riding style.

Reverse Crew is an all mountain board (Based on the mold of the Burton Custom V-Rocker) but has a freestyle feel to it. Everyone who I know that owns a V-Rocker or RC is extremely happy with their decision, plus the board is durable.

Burton Cartel bindings match the RC and VR. They are definite allmountain bindings with a freestyle edge. They are very comfortable bindings and are flexible enough to let you play and butter the board.

If you can tell me whether you want to ride Freestyle/Park, Freeride or All Mountain, I can point you in the right direction for boards and bindings.

Just remember, you should ALWAYS try on boots in person/store because not all boots ride/fit the same. I have WIDE ASS feet and I can't rock Burton boots. If you have normal sized feet, you should check out Nike's line of boots, they have great reviews and are loved by their owners.
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 7:55pm
Reverse Crew is a GREAT board for a beginner or intermediate or even an expert. It's a great board to learn on because it is very forgiving but also has the potential to allow you to grow and get better. I'd have to say I've never been more impressed with a board than the RC/VR for any rider of any level, just looking for a quality board.

Where do you want to go with your riding style? Are you just beginning?

If you aren't sure, I'd recommend the RC/VR for any style and it can also help you lean into the direction you want to go with snowboarding and help you decide if you want to stick to a style or go to a new board in the far future.

PLUS, the board is killer for riding pow.

Hell, the board is awesome ALL around. You can't go wrong.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:00pm
thanks man, you've been a great help!

Im 6'3" 150 lbs
i have size 11 feet in normal shoes

keen to ride all mountain, going to nz this year, and then canada next year!

thanks to you im leaning towards the RC and cartels.. not sure on boots yet, if im getting an 11 or a 10 Boot, should i be getting Large or Medium Cartels?

which size RC should i get? 159 ? 160w?
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:07pm
YOU HAVE TO GO TRY BOOTS ON!!! Just because 32's fit one person doesn't mean they will fit you.  Get your boots first and then talk about binders.

Get the 159 RC, the 160W has a bit of taper. 
started by flossers making floss for flossers
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:08pm
cartels might be too stiff for you since you're starting out. the missions are more forgiving and cheaper. Smile but theyre not junk either. Smile

i second what rock said. always boots first. youre going to be spending hours in your boots. make sure you get the comfortable pair you can afford. you dont want to call it a day because you can't stand the pain coming from your shoes (eg: blisters, cramping, pressure points, etc).
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:12pm
yeah i know i have to try boots on first.. going to the local store tomorrow night.. but stuff in aus is SO expensive haha >.<

hmm.. missions you say... are these gonna be worse when i get better though?
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:14pm
Missions or Customs might be a good entry binding for you.
Cartel might be too stiff for you and the highback might annoy you if you're just starting out.

The other choices you can't lose.
JamesJ! View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:15pm
I have similar questions, so I didn't think I should start a new thread. Also new, looking to pair the

http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/Palmer-Saga-R-Snowboards.asp

with either Burton Cartels or Flow M9 bindings after trying different boots on in store, was curious of opinions. I won't be doing park/freestlye anytime soon it would mostly be just mountain runs/cruising

edit:
I'm 5"10-11 240lb(big i know) and I used a calculator and it said to get a 163? I got a feeling that may be a bit too long?
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:19pm
This is where size comes down to preference. I ride smaller board because I feel they are more maneuverable. I'm 5'10 155lbs and I ride board that are 151-154 just out of personal preference. My ''designated'' size is a 156 but I guess I'm just too damn picky when it comes to size. Pushing the size limit will give you a little more leverage on your board but can also lead you to lose some control or speed, so that is all personal preference. From personal experience, I bought my ''designated'' size as my first board and did not enjoy it. If you can I'd try out different sizes of boards to get your opinion on it. Just because you aren't riding your ''designated'' size doesn't mean anything bad. I know a few guys on here that are 6' 200lbs and ride 150 boards! It's all up to you. Since the RC is so cheap right now and you are just starting, you might just want to pick up the 159, it would fit you well, plus you probably won't care to be going the freestyle route anytime soon.

I don't think Cartels have a riding level, I've taught a buddy of mine on my board with cartels and he loved it and had zero complaints. I think that's a bit biased to say they are too stiff for beginners. I'm a big fan of gear that allows you to grow on it and doesn't force you to buy new gear as you progress. Cartels are most suited for all mountain which is why I'll stick my vote to them.

And to reiterate one more time like Rook said...

NEVER BUY BOOTS YOU HAVEN'T TRIED ON, EVERYONE'S FEET ARE DIFFERENT!

scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:26pm
Thanks again texass... i think ill go with the cartels.. it sounds good, i really dont want to have to buy new bindings as soon as i get half decent! will go with the 159 sierra RC too.. ill go down to the local and try boots (hopefully boots i can buy the same size from US)

as as general rule though.. 32 are the way to go for boots?
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:29pm
32 boots are my favorite boots. But once again it really is preference. I have never been disappointed with 32.   You should just try on different boots and see which are comfy to you. I have plenty of buddies who LOVE Nike boots, especially the Kaiju boots and I have friends who love Burton boots. I've tried both on but my feet are too wide to sport them. If you go to your shop tomorrow, just be the ass that tries on EVERY type of boot! I do it! Be sure to get your money's worth.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by TEXASS

Everyone who owns a V-Rocker or RC is extremely happy with their decision

explain to all of us how this is a fact...
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by JBburton 18

Everyone who I know that owns a V-Rocker or RC is extremely happy with their decision

Everyone who I know that owns a V-Rocker or RC is extremely happy with their decision***

Get off my dick douche bag, get points elsewhere. I'm trying to help out someone here.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:36pm
you're not the first person to recommend me the RC either, but it was extremely refreshing to see someone else recommend it!

aha there are 2 shops in brisbane, will go to both and try on every single pair they have and then scour the web looking for whatever i like cheaper in australia! :D:D:D

thanks texas/rook, big help :D

i know you're probably sick of me.. but the only other thing i dont have is gloves... is there any big variance between different types of gloves when it comes to warmth? i cant STAND cold hands!

cheeeers :D
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:38pm
**EDITED**

Anyways Scott, that sounds like a good decision, you can't go wrong with either.

Gloves wise, be sure to check the waterproof rating. A solid pair of gloves will have OVER 10k waterproof rating and also allows you to keep mobility in the hands for strapping in/zipping up. I'm sporting a pair of Dakine and a pair of Celtek gloves.

If you have any other questions, concerns, or need help finding any gear, please feel free to PM me.

I need to head off to sleep, I have an 11 hour workday in 6 hours.

Cheers.

P.S. Ask as MANY questions as you want, we all started somewhere. I don't mind at all, nor would the community. (If anyone says differently, tell them to piss off )
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:47pm
thanks texas, enjoy work :P ill probably give you a pm as questions float into my head as they tend to do.. i really cant thank you enough.. theres so much information out there about boards/bindings/boots etc its really overwhelming!
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:53pm
burton rulers for boots. SO COMFYYYO OHMYGAWD
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 8:53pm

Originally posted by JBburton 18

Everyone who I know that owns a V-Rocker or RC is extremely happy with their decision

Everyone who I know that owns a V-Rocker or RC is extremely happy with their decision***

Get off my dick douche bag, get points elsewhere. I'm trying to help out someone here.

im sorry, but making a claim like that is not really helping someone out...

first of all, saying that everyone you know likes something isnt really saying much. could mean all your friends think exactly alike and it started from one person saying they liked it, and more could have continued the chain... hell, for all we know, you may only know one person who uses it...

second, just because a lot of ppl like something doesnt make it the best choice. now, my favorite deck is a custom x... a lot of ppl think alike in that, but does that mean everyone will? no. also, it turns out that a lot of ppl hate it as well, and u could only know a group that likes it, and be completely oblivious to the group that dislikes or has other different opinions on it...

third, leading someone in a direction based on preferences could turn them in a wrong direction. if there was a best for something, and EVERYONE loved something, then EVERYONE would be riding the same thing wouldnt they??

Just making general claims like that, its that you made an exaggeration, its just flat out wrong... dont get me wrong, both are great decks... but at the same time, someone else might not like either (say they dont like reverse camber, or dont think they are too soft/stiff, too slow/fast, etc...)
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:00pm
what would you recommend then Jburton? out of those 3 decks ?

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:13pm
Im not saying that the RC, or any of the above would be a bad choice. being that ive never ridden any, wouldnt kno where to start... but i have heard good things on the RC... if your looking for playfulness, and maybe a bit extra float, reverse camber does offer that. im just saying that general claims like everyone likes something, really doesnt help someone, because saying that is flat out wrong... everybody DOESNT like the same thing, or we would all have the same gear.

Missions and cartels are both great bindings, i didnt like the feel of my cartels, but the performance from them was great...

As far as boots are concerned, dont go online to buy boots, try on as many as you can... i went in once looking for an slx, the shop didnt have it, so i tried on a bunch of boots... turned out, i ended up with ions, and those worked great for last season, and i got a discount, so i was able to get a set of bindings as well... now i have slx, and am planning to get driver x after trying both of them on in the Burton flagship... what im saying is that nobody can choose boots for you. Ive tried on 3 top of the line boots, and all of them... ALL OF THEM feel different. plus, sizing wrong could also put you through a miserable season. i barely got cramps with the ions, because they were a great fit for me. my guess is you will want the same thing, unless you prefer going thru a season of hell just because you picked a boot blindly without trying on first... IMO, boots are the most important part when buying gear, because if your feet feel miserable, your season will feel miserable.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:24pm
yeah ill be trying boots on in store, i might even cop the price hike from australian stores to make sure i get comfy ones... unless they are ridiculous! haha

ta for everyones help! will report back with updates once ive tried on some boots! :D
Piechar View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:35pm
you should wait for the boards to go on sale again. If you haven't boarded at all, I don't know how it would be going directly to reverse camber, so I'd probably go Sierra team first.

I have the poachers as well, and think they work great.
http://ride.searchpw.com/refer/iceking
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:39pm
50% off is pretty good sale wise :P
i really like the look of the sierra team, but i was deterred by the fact that everyone says its a beginner board? i dont want to have to turn around a buy a new board as soon as im half decent! also people seem to think it shakes badly at high speeds or something?
Epicentre View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:42pm
I'd pair the reverse crew with cartels.  Definitely your best bet for the board/binding combo of those choices.  I know nothing of those boots though as I have never owned a pair of Burton boots.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 9:44pm
thanks epicentre.. ive decided 100% on the cartels.. still tossing up with the RC.. pretty sure though
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 10:04pm
seems like you picked up similar products. Sierra Team and Flow Infinite both are all-mtn boards but the Team might be slightly softer which will be only difference to my understand from the specs and review. but the Sierra R.C. is a great complement to either of the other boards. 

for the bindings, the cartel is great and the mission and custom are a very similar but less than the Cartel. So, if you can, I suggest returning the mission and custom and get a different brand of bindings like Unions, Salomon, Rome, etc. I'm a lighter person, so the mission and the custom felt very similar to me. 

for boots, moto def. don't last and gets soft really fast. I recommend going all out for boots. is worth every penny. different rider has a different taste for boots, so make sure you go to try them yourself in person before purchasing. 

Hope I didn't come across being rude, just giving you my $.02. 
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2010 at 11:03pm
not rude at all! it all helps!

just to clarify i havent actually bought anything yet, these are all just things im looking at/wanting to buy

ive crossed off the flow...

now just looking at the sierra team or the sierra RC HELP ME DECIDE! :D:D:D

as for the bindings im getting Cartels

Boots im gonna have to buy in australia i think
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 3:00pm
JBurton 18,

My claim is relevant because I have talked to SEVERAL members on here that have the boards and read the reviews and also talked to several Custom owners on the slopes. So seriously, fuck off. You know nothing and your advice is useless. I'm not going to explain every little claim I make with detail because tools like you like to be assholes. YOU haven't even ridden the board and can't give any advice, get out of this thread.

I listened to what he said about his background and about the experience he has, so with that small amount of information, I have to apply OTHER scenarios to help him with his situation. If a new boarder desires the riding style of a board but isn't sure how people review it, saying things like "Everyone I've talked to about the board enjoys it" is EXTREMELY relevant.

You are a prick and we don't need you on this website. This is a snowboarding forum and any CONSTRUCTIVE advice is appreciated on advising new members with gear.
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 3:22pm
Why are you getting all hot-n-bothered over his comments? It's just the internetz broseph. Jb posts constructive advice in threads that I have seen him post in. You are the one looking like an ass texass. Learn how to argue without losing your temper.

edit: but you have helped the op out quite a bit and I like you
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 3:24pm
zzz who cares about their arguments! i just want peoples opinions on which board!

also if im size 10 or 11 boot.. should i be getting medium or large cartels?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 3:40pm
It depends on your boots. My friend has 11 burton ions and is using a medium cartel because the large was to big for the boots. I have some 32's lashed size 11 that fit perfect in large burton binders. So you really won't know until you buy boots. Get fitted for boots... it will help you out in the long run. Try on as many boots as you can.

The sooner you can learn that other peoples opinions about gear don't mean shiz for you, the better off you will be. Don't take board reviews as gospel or the best option for you because of what someone else said. I understand that you are apparently new to snowboarding, so this thread has been helpful. As a beginner you aren't going to be using gear to its potential anyways.

edit: here is someones opinion of the v-rocker that doesn't like it.

I put about two shi*s towards this review because if I rode the v-rocker... maybe I would think it was the best thing since sliced bread. But just recognize that someone elses views of product don't have any weight to what they will feel like to you.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:20pm
tbh im well aware everyone has their own opinion and you can say what you want i found texas's comments/opinions helpful...

sigh i want to order bindings like right now.. but have to wait till i try on boots -_-

id rather have someone say "from my experience, or from people ive spoken to" etc than someone just say something useless like "its all opinion"

also, do you need to wax new boards?
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:23pm
I'd go with large bindings... Being that u are looking into burton boots and bindings, the fit should be similar to my ions being that i have used them with large and medium burton bindings. The size chart says medium goes to 10, bc 10 just fits in, but it's very tight. I had to adjust the straps every run for five or six runs, just to get the fit right. The large still holds a 10 perfectly fine, but IMO is more comfortable. You could always check the fit in ur shop, see what feels best.

And to tex, the ones that don't belong in the community are the ones that start fights with those who disagree with them in the threads and can't keep control in the forums. I can tell u a story of my personal experience with going against popular opinion.   3 years ago, shopping for a snowboard, 5 or 6 ppl advised me not to get a Burton, cause they suck, and they were disapointed with them. And nobody told me otherwise.

Guess what, ended up a 08 supermodel, and I loved it. Here I am, 3 years later, and after using 5 other Burton decks, 5 other Burton bindings, and 2 boots.
I now have a custom x, supermodel x, x8, and fish snowboards, c60, co2, malavita, p1 bindings, and slx and ion boots, and I still plan on getting driver x. Also have ak hover outerwear as well and that has served very well.

Scary isn't it, 3 years ago, I was told to stay away from Burton, and after several thousand dollars spent towards Burton, I've never been happier. Just shows where popular opinion couldve kept me from.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:43pm
according to the burton website the cartels go from 8-11 for the medium and 11+ for the large? correct?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:44pm
jb ur just a crazy burton fanboi  Wink

read this thread about factory wax

burtons sizing is 8-11 for medium and 10+ for large(for 2010 bindings)

yes... they overlap three sizes. That is why it gets confusing when figuring what size to buy.

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:52pm
Oh and for gloves, I prefer breathability over insane waterproofing. Unless ur dipping ur gloves in a creek or something, i've had 20 dollar gloves that don't hav great waterproof raitings, and have litterally crawled my way thru 3 ft of fresh in BC last year when hiking up fresh lines, no water gets thru. However, throughout the day, sweat can build up in ur gloves and then there soaked. Waterproof isn't sweatproof. Once u sweat and it freezes, it's all over
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:58pm
My 10s barely fit in medium, 11 must be a nightmare... Still, I used large with a nine one season, no prob
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 5:13pm
i dont know if ill be 10 or 11, 3/4 of my runners/shoes are 11

but sounds like i should get a large regardless?
Jaques View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by scottkUMA

i dont know if ill be 10 or 11, 3/4 of my runners/shoes are 11

but sounds like i should get a large regardless?

Difficult to say. I wear US10 DC boots but US9 32 boots...

You need to put the boot on to see if it is fit or not...
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 5:28pm
im not talking about boots.. im talking about bindings
Jaques View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 5:59pm
Oh!

If you are 10 or 11, get large binding (for Burton) and L/XL (for Union).

My Burton CO2 fit my US10 boots. (even US9 Boots...)
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 2:44am
Ok so i went to the local shop...

I tried on:
http://www.buysnow.com/catalog/detail/ghroK
http://www.tactics.com/k2/raider-boa-coiler-snowboard-boots-closeout/black
and a couple of other k2 ones...

they all felt pretty similar.. the chick at the shop told me when im standing there normally that my toes should touch the end of the liner.. is this true? when i like, learnt forward it didn't touch however..

I had sort of envisioned boots being slightly more comfortable than these were however.. they werent uncomfortable as such.. but definitely not amazing either... maybe its hard to judge from just walking around a store in them?

Anyway i was size 10, or atleast thats what they told me.. does this mean i should go the large or the medium cartel bindings?
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 7:35am
boots should be a perfect fit... if they are not, ur feet might not be comfortable and u wont be comfortable. Other than that, id still go with large bindings.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:25pm
by all reports the cartels should be fine in a medium, so ill go with that...

i also tried on k2 T1's : http://www.ridemteverest.com/product/k2-t1-snowboard-boot-2010/10160056/

anyone have experience with this boot? good boot?
cheeeeeeeeeeers
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 12:13am
if your thoughts on the boot were that you had thought boots would be more comfortable than what you tried on, they arent comfortable enough.  dont settle, when it comes to boots.

the girl was right about your toes, though.  standing straight up, you should feel the end, but it shouldnt be crammed, and when you bend your leg with your weight on it, your toes should pull back from the end, but still be just "there"

when you put on a boot that is comfortable you will know.  when i put on my nike boots, which happen to be the best fitting boot ive ever been able to try on, my feet feel amazing in them.  you should strive for as close to "amazing" as you can.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>