Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: boots fit
    Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:04am
OK lets clear things up

I have heard that boots should be half a size smaller than your shoes.

Then someone told me they should be half size bigger.

Then someone says they should be real tight, but other says they should be comfy.

What is the real answer? What is the best for riding?
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:05am
The question is only in terms of riding. I am not thinking about comfort, unless it affects the riding.
MATTSTERBATOR View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:13am
Boots are one of the most important pieces of gear you can have. your boots should be very comfortable, everyone is different, the best fit could be the cheapest boot you could buy, but it is definitely an item to spend time trying on and finding the best fit for you.
M.Bilenki
lilymc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:15am
Of course the comfort affects the riding!! If you're not comfortable, you won't enjoy your day! 

You can only know if the boots fit or not when you try them on, there's no 'recipe' like going half size bigger or smaller. It all depends on YOU and your preference. Different brands and models fit differently.

I've heard some people like them to fit tighter (borderline uncomfortable) because of responsiveness. But unless you're like a competitive athlete, I would say comfort over responsiveness.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:23am
tight does NOT mean uncomfortable.  and to get this out of the way ASAP, comfort is HUGELY important and certainly affects your riding.  why wouldnt it?  if your boots werent comfortable, your day would suck and you wouldnt want to ride nearly as much, and you wouldnt be able to.

also, the poster above me separated comfort and response.. but you need both.  comfort allows you to ride all day without your feet hurting and wanting to quit, but so does response.  if you dont have your preferred response, you can become tired much quicker and your feet can start to hurt because they have to use more muscles.  do not compromise anything.  a proper boot will cover all the necessary bases of riding.  comfort, response, etc.

as for the relation to shoe size, there simply is none.  people generally wear their shoes a little larger than their actual foot size because its comfortable and you dont lose any performance.  boots, however, ARE performance footwear.  they need to be tight, but they need to fit the shape of your foot as well.. if so, they will be comfortable.  again, tight does not mean uncomfortable.

in general, when the boots are on and you have them laced tight, standing straight up, you should feel the end of the boot with your toe, but it shouldnt be crammed.  then when you bend your knees ("riding position") you should feel them pull back from the end, but they should still be "there."  at the same time, they should fit the overall shape of your foot as well as possible.. width, arch, etc.  they should also hold your heel as well as possible.  ideally, you should have very minimal heel lift when the boots are as tight as you will tie them for when you actually ride.  without being strapped in, you shouldnt have more than maybe half a centimeter of heel lift, roughly.  a centimeter would be pushing it, for example, and you will have to check how much more your binding ankle strap holds your heel down if you DO have as much as a centimeter, unstrapped - when you strap in to your bindings to ride, you should have as little lift as possible.. almost none.  the more lift you have, the less of your energy that you put into turning and controlling your board will actually GO to turning and controlling your board, thus you will waste more energy, have a slower response time, and your legs will become more fatigued in a shorter amount of time, as well as your overall body's energy level.  boots are the number one most important piece of equipment.  you can have the "best" board/binding setup for yourself and the best snow conditions and weather, but if your boots arent comfortable and/or dont fit right, nothing else matters.  the bother of uncomfortable/poorly fitting boots overrules all other factors of the day.

anyway, i know i wrote a lot, but reading this will do you a lot of good as well. it touches on even more points and its a great guide if you ask me.  do yourself a favor and read through it all.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:38am
also - over the years of helping people with boots in my store, i have never seen riders improve more than when they got proper fitting boots.  i would say that most people do not have properly fitting boots until they get fitted by a professional and really learn all about boot fitting.

one example - a friend of mine, a girl, was wearing size 9 and 9.5 mens boots for years and she thought they were comfortable.  i had tried to help her out before but she swore that it was a good fit and wouldnt trust me and didnt really care.  however, when i finally got her to just take the time and listen and follow my suggestions, i measured her feet, she tried on a lot of boots (womens) and ended up being a womens 8.  thats about one whole inch smaller on the inside.

after she started riding them and broke them in a bit, the things she noticed was that when she started a turn, her movements and energy were almost instantly transferred into her board.  when she turned toeside, her board would follower her body as soon as she wanted it to.  she also noticed that when she would ollie and get any sort of air, she had much more control in the air, and her board would come with her much more easily.. she also noticed that she could ride a lot longer because nearly all her energy was actually going into the board, rather than losing a lot of it because her boots were too big and didnt fit right.

she had been riding for at least 5 or 6 years before that, but during that season, she progressed FAR more than i had ever seen her progress at any time.  she is actually one of the best girl snowboarders i know.. she has sick style and can ride any type of terrain comfortably and looks like she really knows what shes doing, but after that season, she was killing it.  it was actually pretty amazing and i was super stoked on riding with her.

i did the same for another good female friend who is actually a killer natural terrain/pow rider.  she was wearing size 9 or 10 mens boots before and ended up being a womens 8.5, and i can say the exact same for her as i said for my other friend.

also helped a bunch of my guy friends with the same thing.. my best riding buddy was in 11s and 12s before and is now a 9, and this season he improved drastically, from already being an advanced rider.  he kills natural terrain now and pretty much anything you throw at him.

i have also had countless people come back to me to tell me how much of a difference it made when i helped them get the right boots.  they come back happy, and loving riding more than ever.

and for all of those people, its not just a coincidence - its the boots.  good boots make a huge difference... and im no exception.  i used to ride 11s years ago some how and thought it was good.. and now im an 8.5, and my feet have not shrunk at all.  snowboarding has never been better, since i figured out my boots a few years ago.  everything about it is better and its so much more easy to progress and ride all day every day.. i dont know how i did it before.

please do yourself a favor and take as much time as possible to find the best boot for you.  it is more than worth it, if you enjoy snowboarding even just a little bit.
skron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:55am
I wanted to make sure my boots fit well so I refused to buy online without trying them out in person.

my ride boots were a size up from what I usually wear (12 instead of 11), but I assume it differs by brand & boot.
ezza444 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 2:56am

When you buy a new boot if its a bit tighter around your foot (not necessarily half a size smaller) it will normally pack out slightly. So after having worn them in a bit they will feel bigger on your foot compared to when you tried them on in store. So just be aware that will happen.

Whenever there is a plan A there is always a plan B.
bgilboards View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Catamount

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 3:02am
Good forum, it's helped me think about waht's really important in a boot and I'm glad someone brought it up.
andreww View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 3:06am
yes, it's very hard to decide online, I usually would try it in store first then order it online. =P
senairep View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by spenser

also - over the years of helping people with boots in my store, i have never seen riders improve more than when they got proper fitting boots.  i would say that most people do not have properly fitting boots until they get fitted by a professional and really learn all about boot fitting.

one example - a friend of mine, a girl, was wearing size 9 and 9.5 mens boots for years and she thought they were comfortable.  i had tried to help her out before but she swore that it was a good fit and wouldnt trust me and didnt really care.  however, when i finally got her to just take the time and listen and follow my suggestions, i measured her feet, she tried on a lot of boots (womens) and ended up being a womens 8.  thats about one whole inch smaller on the inside.

after she started riding them and broke them in a bit, the things she noticed was that when she started a turn, her movements and energy were almost instantly transferred into her board.  when she turned toeside, her board would follower her body as soon as she wanted it to.  she also noticed that when she would ollie and get any sort of air, she had much more control in the air, and her board would come with her much more easily.. she also noticed that she could ride a lot longer because nearly all her energy was actually going into the board, rather than losing a lot of it because her boots were too big and didnt fit right.

she had been riding for at least 5 or 6 years before that, but during that season, she progressed FAR more than i had ever seen her progress at any time.  she is actually one of the best girl snowboarders i know.. she has sick style and can ride any type of terrain comfortably and looks like she really knows what shes doing, but after that season, she was killing it.  it was actually pretty amazing and i was super stoked on riding with her.

i did the same for another good female friend who is actually a killer natural terrain/pow rider.  she was wearing size 9 or 10 mens boots before and ended up being a womens 8.5, and i can say the exact same for her as i said for my other friend.

also helped a bunch of my guy friends with the same thing.. my best riding buddy was in 11s and 12s before and is now a 9, and this season he improved drastically, from already being an advanced rider.  he kills natural terrain now and pretty much anything you throw at him.

i have also had countless people come back to me to tell me how much of a difference it made when i helped them get the right boots.  they come back happy, and loving riding more than ever.

and for all of those people, its not just a coincidence - its the boots.  good boots make a huge difference... and im no exception.  i used to ride 11s years ago some how and thought it was good.. and now im an 8.5, and my feet have not shrunk at all.  snowboarding has never been better, since i figured out my boots a few years ago.  everything about it is better and its so much more easy to progress and ride all day every day.. i dont know how i did it before.

please do yourself a favor and take as much time as possible to find the best boot for you.  it is more than worth it, if you enjoy snowboarding even just a little bit.

Awesome explanation, i didn't know most of that.

Thank you. Tongue
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 5:54am
adrexler you win the award for most new threads started per week.  Go try on boots and find the ones that fit best.  That is all there is to boot buying.  None of that half size smaller/bigger stuff matters.
www.chargeharder.com
lilymc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 6:04am
@ Spenser: I wish you could help me buy boots too! Wink Let me know if you visit France hihihi
87vert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2010 at 6:17am
just like in street shoes each manufacture makes up there own sizing. Usually they are close but it is best to try them on as they will all feel slightly different.
Lamar Tripper 159 | Flow "The Five" Bindings | Flow Rift BOA Boots | Dragon Rogue-i googles
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by BRUIZZA

adrexler you win the award for most new threads started per week.  Go try on boots and find the ones that fit best.  That is all there is to boot buying.  None of that half size smaller/bigger stuff matters.

Thumbs Up  100% - it is all about trying on a dozen or two of different boots from different manufacturer's and different models.  Your foot and staff in store will be the best to advise on sizing.  As advised above Just get someone who really knows stuff when doing your boot fitting.
We are is what we think
MATTSTERBATOR View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:51am
That settles it then, and after others ca read this thread they will see just how important boots are. I have told people for years that boots are probably the most important item to buy, and should spend the time finding the perfect fit, as everyone fits different. Awesome answer Spenser!!!!Clap
M.Bilenki
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:17am
I say if you're not sure, then it's prolly a good idea to get someone at a knowledgeable shop to fit a pair for you. 

adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:40am
thanks all. And specially to Bruizza, he will answer my questions in the chat in average in less than 3 min. He is a super insightful and friendly expert.

Thanks a lot!!!!
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:42am
And regarding the number of new threads, I just discovered this community and it is great. There are lots of questions I have, and also some stuff I have tried in my snowboard life and I want to share with the community.

Thank you all for this great site
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:51am
It is all good man.  I was just hazing you a little.  It is kind of what I do around here.
www.chargeharder.com
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:54am
One more thing regarding boots.

I usually have the following fitting problems. My instep is really low. Therefore the boots that fit my foot length (9) will usually feel loose.

I have solved that problem by placing one or two extra insoles below the boot insole. you can get any cheap insole, just make sure to get the harder insoles you can find. Otherwise your overall insole would be real fluffy (thing about 3 cushioned insoles you definitelly do not want that).

So put one extra insole and check if the boots fit well. If they are still loose then put the second one. if they are still loose after the second extra insole you probably want to change your boots.

Hope this helps
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 5:58am
I find it hard to believe that it is possible to go from size 11 to size 8.5 unless your size 11's were completely oversized by a huge margin. 

I normally wear size 12/13 shoes.  If I choose a boot that was 2.5 size smaller (9.5 to 10.5) there is no way I would even be able to get my foot into the boot.  I've tried 11's and they are marginal at best.  My toes could not lie flat in the boot...

anyway, I am in need of a new pair of boots since my old pair are completely screwed in that my feet get wet all the time now...  My old pair did not have those liners and I actually liked it.  now all the boots have those liners that are supposed to mold to your feet... 

any suggestions on old school boots?  or at least boots with thinner liners?  I also like boots with laces.  Don't like the new quick lace systems.
Bartleby Badger View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 7:56am
^^ All depends on boot manufacturer I've ridden a size 10 Salomon and a size 8.5 Nike this season - both fit pretty much the same (size wise). And that's the point - there's no standardization and so any generic advice eg half size bigger etc. is utter BS.

Ignore meaningless arbitrary numbers, try boots on and buy the best fit.
Is badger, is not problem
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 8:14am
I'd go to a store and make sure you get someone to fit the boots properly for you. You could then buy the boots online for a better price. Not nice to use the retailer this way but in Aus the boot could retail for $600 where you could probably buy it on line for $150. The important thing is that they fit properly and are comfortable so that you can board all day without boot soreness. Have fun out there.
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 8:22am
I wrote a long text, but an error site delete it :S

I have shoe size 11.
I bought a boot size 11 and its ok.

I dont have lot of experience with boots. 
But the same size seam fine with me.
Argentinian rider!
juantostado View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 8:23am
ultimately, it boils down to whatever is the most comfortable and effective for you. but i think all brands carry a different standard in regards to size, which is why it's a good idea to try the boots on before you buy them.

but if that doesn't work, just read reviews for the boots you're looking for online. usually, others who've purchased the same boots will have an opinion regarding the boot size in relation to their actual shoe size.
badgers1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 11:23am
it kind of comes down to personal preference
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by mech9t5

I find it hard to believe that it is possible to go from size 11 to size 8.5 unless your size 11's were completely oversized by a huge margin. 

I normally wear size 12/13 shoes.  If I choose a boot that was 2.5 size smaller (9.5 to 10.5) there is no way I would even be able to get my foot into the boot.  I've tried 11's and they are marginal at best.  My toes could not lie flat in the boot...
yes, 11s were way too big.. and thats what im saying about people who dont know how to properly fit boots.  there are countless people WEARING a certain size, but it sure is not their actual size.  i can wear an 11 any time i want but my foot is a mondo 27CM, aka US size 9.

and again, theres no correlation between shoe and boot size.  if you wear a size 12 shoe, maybe your foot is a true size 11.5 or something, hence not being able to go down 2.5 sizes... but there are plenty of people who wear size 12 shoes whos real foot size is a 10, or 9.5, or 11, or 10.5, or whatever.  i personally/in-real-life know countless kids who wear 11s, 12s, and 13s who sure as hell are not that size.  there was one kid who wears 12s and i always thought that seemed silly cause he wasnt a big guy at all.. so i made him take off his shoe, and his feet were exactly the same size as mine.. and he also wears size 12 boots (for the time being, until he gets new ones and i get to fit him).

like i said, shoes, in general, are worn a little bigger than your actual foot size, because its comfortable and you dont lose performance.  sometimes peoples shoes are a half size bigger, or a full size, or two sizes, or however many sizes... there is no standard rule.  and most poeple who dont know how to properly fit boots just seem to buy their shoe size, so you can see how they end up with boots that are too big, so easily.

i used to wear 10.5 in shoes and it was a totally fine size.  they were bigger than my foot, yes, but they werent too loose and it was comfortable.  my feet were never an actual 10.5 though.. they have been 27cm/US size 9 for a long time.  eventually i started to downsize cause i realized i could, and i didnt like the larger shoe, and now i wear size 9 in almost all shoes, and sometimes still 9.5 even though my foot isnt a 9.5.

boots do have rules about fitting, though, and i have yet to meet or hear about someone whos true boot size is any larger than their shoe size.  from memory, i cant even think of someone ive helped or met or heard of via internet whos true boot size was the same as their preferred shoe size.  again, no actual correlation.. just stating an observation.

/blah blah blah
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:04pm
there is no rule, go try it on

done Clap
my mom says im hardcore
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:12pm
i got my boots the same size as my normal shoes and they fit great. i cant really see how half a size smaller would make sense considering your gona be wearing thick socks
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:17pm
technical snowboard socks are meant to be thin.  thick socks can actually be a bad thing more than a good thing, but so many people do it anyway and dont know.  but so many people also wear more than one pair of socks, which is another no-no.

wear thin socks, go find a good shop, and let someone help you who knows what theyre doing.  if youre filling up space in your boots by wearing thick socks, i can tell you right now that your boots are not the proper size.

there is also a difference between proper size and being able to ride in a certain size.  i can ride in 11s and get it done, but it sure as hell isnt the same as my proper size of 8.5 or 9.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:18pm
As long as your heel doesn't come up much when you're on your tippy toes, you should be fine. My feet are different sizes, so my right boot is tighter than my left boot. It's always been this way. My right toes touch the end of my boot with my knees bent, but aren't smooshed. My left foot has slightly more room... go figure.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
mloesel View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 1:18pm
Try them on with your snowboarding socks (I go with two types - thicker for the dead winter and thinner for the spring) and only use your street shoe size as a starting point. Don't be afraid to try larger and smaller until they fit. Also, sizes are different between manufacturers (even boot style) so you have to do this for each kind you try out.
slizel View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
The Olympic Dream

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 2:09pm
Burton boots are right on and true to size. I love them and they are smaller in size then reguler bulky boots. Nike fits a half size to smaller so it would be best to go bigger with nike's. I love them both and thats the only info i have on boots that i ride with.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 2:22pm
going to the store and getting a professional to fit is a must.. no point in spending the whole snow trip in uncomfortable shoes...

are hired boots any better? or are they crap as the mould is for another persons foot?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by slizel

Burton boots are right on and true to size. I love them and they are smaller in size then reguler bulky boots. Nike fits a half size to smaller so it would be best to go bigger with nike's. I love them both and thats the only info i have on boots that i ride with.
oh really?  because my nikes in 8.5 are slightly less-tight than all my burtons in 8.5

but thats the 2010 models.  the 2009s were noticeably smaller.

but theres no such thing as true to size, because its on an individual basis.  what size are you talking about?  your foot size?  i dont agree, because my foot is a size 9, 27 centimeters, yet im an 8.5 (26.5 cm) in every burton boot.  or do you mean shoe size?  because, yet again, shoe size is NOT boot size.  if i wear an 11 shoe, or 10, or 11.5, or 8, or 9.5, or any particular size, that does NOT mean thats my actual foot size.  all it means is that its my shoe size.  they are separate.
Mark Harris View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2010 at 6:11pm

I just got my Flow boots last night, i'm finding them about a size smaller than Burton's i had last year. They should be fine once i heat mould them.

Unfortunately, it's impossible to try on boots locally for people in Perth. We have one shop that has about 3 different Burton boots (at $700-900 each) and only limited sizes.

senairep View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 2:17am
For all mountain, the boots have to be flex, or not?
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 2:31am

and again, theres no correlation between shoe and boot size. 

You are contradicting yourself.  Just because people normally wear larger shoes than they should doesn't mean there is no correlation between shoe and boot size.

Just like shoes, different manufacturers vary slightly in shoe size because of a particular shoe design, style, etc.  But it shouldn't vary more than around 1 shoe size.

I actually went to try on boots yesterday.  I tried the same model Vans boots 11, 11.5, 12, 13.  I would say that the 11.5 fit the best.  The 11.5 was pretty tight and my toes were at the front of the boot. 

Normally, I wear size 12 (13 in some styles).  I have a pair of Nike Free 7.0 v2 and a pair of Nike Zoom Air which are 13.  The 13's are slightly too big for me but the style of this shoe in a 12 didn't fit me width wise.  So I went with a 13 to get a little bit extra width.  13 is normally slightly too long for me.  My true shoe size is around 12. 

I could probably wear size 11.5 Nike Free v2 easily but I choose not to have a walking/running shoe so tight.  However, that does not mean that boot size and shoe size have no correlation.

You are saying there is no correlation because people also have improperly fitted shoes.  I believe that if you are wearing a properly fitted SHOE, the correlation is approximately half a boot size smaller because you want a tight fit in a snowboard boot.  Obviously this might vary depending on shoe/boot manufacturer so you MIGHT go down 1 shoe size when selecting a boot.

Going down more than 1 size is just means your shoes don't fit your foot either.

adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 7:04am
I would like to see a real equivalence chart between different brands and their sizes.
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 7:05am
I will add my bit of experience

Vans 8.5 is equivalent to Flow 9. This is not a lot of information but with the effort of the community we may be able to construct a useful equivalence table
snowrocker21 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 7:28am
whatever floats your boat man..gotta be comfy..i like about a half inch of space between my toe and end of the boot..ive got size 10, 10.5, and 11 boot..ride them all depending on the day..find something that keeps your toesies warm and your fine
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by mech9t5

and again, theres no correlation between shoe and boot size. 

You are contradicting yourself.  Just because people normally wear larger shoes than they should doesn't mean there is no correlation between shoe and boot size.

Just like shoes, different manufacturers vary slightly in shoe size because of a particular shoe design, style, etc.  But it shouldn't vary more than around 1 shoe size.

I actually went to try on boots yesterday.  I tried the same model Vans boots 11, 11.5, 12, 13.  I would say that the 11.5 fit the best.  The 11.5 was pretty tight and my toes were at the front of the boot. 

Normally, I wear size 12 (13 in some styles).  I have a pair of Nike Free 7.0 v2 and a pair of Nike Zoom Air which are 13.  The 13's are slightly too big for me but the style of this shoe in a 12 didn't fit me width wise.  So I went with a 13 to get a little bit extra width.  13 is normally slightly too long for me.  My true shoe size is around 12. 

I could probably wear size 11.5 Nike Free v2 easily but I choose not to have a walking/running shoe so tight.  However, that does not mean that boot size and shoe size have no correlation.

You are saying there is no correlation because people also have improperly fitted shoes.  I believe that if you are wearing a properly fitted SHOE, the correlation is approximately half a boot size smaller because you want a tight fit in a snowboard boot.  Obviously this might vary depending on shoe/boot manufacturer so you MIGHT go down 1 shoe size when selecting a boot.

Going down more than 1 size is just means your shoes don't fit your foot either.

youre right, if people have properly fitted shoes, the size difference is different, but in reality boots are supposed to fit a certain way, and it doesnt matter if shoes do, besides that theyre comfortable and stay on your feet as much as you want them to.. i could wear a 9 or 10.5 and they would both work fine, its just preference, but my boot size is definite.

i still say theres not really a correlation.  i may wear size 9 in shoes and that is basically my boot size with an average brand (some 8.5), but thats just because of my shoe preference (as small as possible without being uncomfortable).  your boot size does not come from your shoe size, or vice versa, it comes from your foot size.  it is very rare that people actually wear their shoes based on their actual foot size.  i dont think in all the years ive been part of this shop, ive ever met a person whos shoes fit their actual foot size.

the only thing thats REALLY truly definite is your actual foot size.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by snowrocker21

whatever floats your boat man..gotta be comfy..i like about a half inch of space between my toe and end of the boot..ive got size 10, 10.5, and 11 boot..ride them all depending on the day..find something that keeps your toesies warm and your fine
and your boots are definitely too big.  have you been fitted and have you ever had a boot that fit your actual foot?  like ive said a few times now, i COULD wear a larger size and it would still feel comfortable, but it makes a big difference in riding between that and a fitted boot, and its not a good difference.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2010 at 10:18am
as most people are saying, its BEST and Reccomended that you personally try on the boot before buying. and the size of the boot may vary from company to company. also, a loose boot is the worst thing ever. i used to have onet hat was too big for me, and by the end of the day, i would have blisters and my feet would be aching. find one that is just right. also, you gotta break in new boots too. some may take longer to break in then others.
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2010 at 4:45am
OK no body out there want to help create a size equivalence chart?

It may help some people finding the right size in the brand they want
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2010 at 4:46am
One more thing

Most shoe online stores will offer free returns for size change to foster people buying their shoes online.

So do not be so afraid to buy on line
adrexler View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2010 at 4:50am
Of course if you have a big ski snowboard store in your city your best bet is going there to try a few different boots.

But if you do not have a snowboard store in your town then read as many reviews as you can, figure out what sounds good for you.

MAKE SURE return for size change is free. And go for it, I have done this several times myself

You must be careful to try the boots in carpeted floor. If you wear the sole off by trying them in the street you may have some trouble while trying to return the boots
neville View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2010 at 7:04am

Regarding boot fitting, it's always a hot topic in every forums.

Although i believe there's no hard and fast rule, i would prefer half size down than up as i like reponsive. But still, try out with yourself is the golden rule of thumb.

You must understand that every brand would have its own size chart and boot shape, so a size 9 of Brand A fits you well doesn't mean a same size of 9 of Brand B would give you the same feel and comfy level. Don't look at the size only, the stiffness, style are also the key things to consider.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2010 at 7:08am
pay for a good, professional fitter...totally worth the money
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>