Topic ClosedProtective gear!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protective gear!
    Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 2:03am
Hey going boarding for the first time in 3 weeks..
just inquiring as to the importance of protective gear.. wrist guards specifically.. i cbf with a helmet, that crap looks homosexual anything else worth considering?

cheers!
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 2:18am
i hope you're kidding, but wrist guards are what you'd get since wrist injuries are the highest incidence of snowboarding injury.

a butt pad, and also a helmet...
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 2:32am
funny, i always thought wrist guards looked homosexual never ridden with em, never had a wrist injury, ridden w/o a helmet, and i have had a head injury, so i guess i wear the g a y helmet.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:21am
It's just a matter of time before resorts start making helmets mandatory, might as well get used to wearing one now.
stehoul199 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:27am
i think wrist guards are more homosexual than helmets. I always wear a helmet and so do all my friends. You might want to wear some crash pants too to protect your tailbone, especially if its your first time going out. 
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:27am
hahaha... mann i dont want to wear a helmet! i guess if i fall on my head ill be changing my tune :P
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:29am
surely helmets are only really necessary when you're doing jumps and stuff... right?
neville View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:29am

As you may be aware there were a couple of accidents in both Western (Europe) and Eastern (Asia) in the last seasons. That created lot of voice at least in my country which arouse the attention (and argument) of making helmet a must-have item while skiing/snowboarding. To me, this is a good move.

Especially for beginner, shinny jacket and fancy pants won't be the first thing you need to buy. What you need before go on slope shall be a helmet, a pair of wrist guards and a butt pad. Happy snowboarding!
stehoul199 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:33am
Originally posted by scottkUMA

surely helmets are only really necessary when you're doing jumps and stuff... right?

No man. you should always wear it. you can still fall when your not jumping and crack your head open. i dont see the big problem with wearing a helmet. 
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:37am
Dude get a helmet! Wearing a helmet doesn't look as bad as riding in the back of the ambulance. You just never know when you're going to get clipped by somebody and bang you dome into something much harder than your skull.
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:41am
dude your helmet is probably the most important piece of protection you can wear. see how puffy a helmet looks when you crack your skull on a sheet of ice and bloods drippin out of your ears.
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
jezzmeriza View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:48am
The one thing i always wear is a helmet. Go out and spend some money on a Giro or a Red helmet, so many people wear them that it cant be homosexual Almost all instructors in Australia have to wear them now. When you fall backwards you often smack your hear on the ground, i have been saved by my helmet a few times now. Better than concussion or a cracked skull.
Also, you can now get gloves with inbuilt, and hidden, wrist guards.
If you choose to not wear a helmet your choice, but don't expect much sympathy when you tell them everyone told you so.
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:03am
LOL! How can wearing a helmet be related to your sexual orientation Wink

On a serious note, wearing a helmet can save your life and if that gives you that homosexual look, i would rather look like one then be brain dead. Confused
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:05am
you need to consider out of control noobs running into you, taking your feet out from under you, smacking your head into the ground.

hello homosexual helmet.
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:28am
Ahh helmets, I miss seeing them.

Japanese people do NOT wear helmets...EVER. Snowboarding, cycling...same thing. They have a thing against helmets. Maybe it messes with their hair?

Seriously, you can go an entire day at a resort and not see one helmet. The instructors dont wear them, the kids taking their first lessons dont wear them...

Only ones who wear em are a few pros going off trail or the park riders. (I would say half of the park guys wear em...less than half maybe. I'm not a park rider so I don't really notice) Regular resort folk, never.

This is for hakuba, gifu, koga shigen area.... Maybe it's different in Hokkaido where there are more foreigners.

Honestly, I think safety equipment is just not big here. Obviously its harder to see but from my friends, it doesn't seem like anybody uses wrist guards or padded pants either. I had to force my gf to wear the crap I bought her.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:28am
trust me. if your boarding for the first time. nobodys gonna care how if your wearing a helmet. plus i wear one. cuz some helmets actually look good. and theyre warm if you get one with the warm ear things. and if your boarding for the first time DEFINITELY wear one. people wont look at that. theyll be looking at how much of a noob you are
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:46am
If wearing a helmet is g a y then I don't want to be straight...

Seriously, protect your noggin.
Shadowrak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 5:31am
A helmet is pretty much necessary if you plan on doing anything exciting on a snowboard. Other stuff is preference but helpful if you want to avoid breaking bones.
Rossignol Scope
Burton C60
Burton SL9
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 5:42am
Yes it doesn't matter if you are beginner or advanced, ride in the park or on the mountain, everybody should wear a helmet. Even if you are riding slow and chilling you can catch that heel edge at any moment and whack the back of your head.
toonerz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 6:19am
I had just got down the mountain and was waiting near the lift lines for some friends. There was a guy near me also waiting and out of nowhere he trips and falls. He hit the back of his head pretty hard and was dazed for a bit. Luckily he was wearing a helmet. It would have been really bad if he wasn't.

So, no they're not only for "doing jumps and stuff." You can take a spill anywhere and it's always when you don't expect it.
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 8:20am

hahaha... mann i dont want to wear a helmet! i guess if i fall on my head ill be changing my tune :P

since this will be your first time boarding i can pretty much 100% guarantee you'll be slamming your head on the mountain after catching an edge.  but yeah, don't listen to the 20 people telling you to wear a helmet, def wait til you bang your head some ok? i mean what is the chance of becoming a vegetable or worse compared to looking/feeling cool?? amirite???

RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 8:41am
I bought a helmet after my first yr.  I didn't use wrist guards, but I learned how to fall.  Did you see the Sierra videos yet:

Also, check the video section for other learning to ride videos.
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/snowboard-video.asp
Did you google it?
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 8:54am
aside from the obvious safety benefit, my helmet has also been great for keeping my head/ears warm and holding my goggles in place.
PBking900 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 8:55am
Always wear a helmet. I shattered a helmet last season and was sooo happy i was wearing one. If the would have been my head i would be toast.
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 9:04am
Helmet has saved my skull a few times.  Icy conditions, hidden lumps, pedestrians, and the dreaded unexpected tree will teach you a lesson the first time you cross their path.  For starting out, I wouldn't drop tons of cash on wrist guards...try to borrow or buy used what you can.  The stuff exists for a reason (to prevent injury) but you can make your own call on what you deem necessary.  Seriously hope you reconsider the homosexual helmet thing though.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 1:14pm

Actually, I've seen some bad head injuries when a noob catches an edge and gets slammed on hard packed snow or ice. Catching edges just happens during the learning process. It's better to learn when the snow is soft, but sometimes you don't get to choose. So yes, helmet are useful for riders not doing jumps/stunts too.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 2:15pm
okay okay... you have made your point! i will get a helmet >.<
jeeeeeeeeeze! lol
jezzmeriza View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 2:23pm
Good call, you can thank everyone later.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:16pm
yeah im just going to hire i think... ill prob buy one before the next time i go.. but super low on cash right now
Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:19pm
I wear a helmet, spine protector, and knee pads. Next season I'm getting a solid pair of impact shorts for more tailbone coverage. I don't like the look of the helmet either, but when it comes down to it the look really doesn't matter.
When in doubt eat trout.
surfer4life View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
jibbin a jungle gym at love fest

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:32pm
if it is your first time, in addition to the above mentioned gear i reccomend bubble wrapping your entire body. that probably still won't protect you from getting bruises, but hey if you make it past your first week without quitting then you are good to go...
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:34pm
l would seriously consider shin gaurds, it seems like the first few times those took the most damage and my wrist. they are relatively cheap and u can use your rollerblade ones also. l must say though, unless you go hardcore, the chance of a head injury is minimal
mitch84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:34pm
I'm actually thinking about getting one of these padded shorts as well as a spine protector
any idea anybody
qcages View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:42pm
I'm getting padded shorts, and a spine+chest protector for next season. CHECK OUT www.xsportsprotective.com!!!!!!!! They are dedicated to having the best extreme sports protective equipment available. I'm getting my pads from them, and when i get them, i'll give a general review of the pads, and the company experience.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 3:50pm
I got all my protective gear from XS. It's rather unfortunate that Sierra doesn't carry this stuff. The spine protector has bailed me out on several occasions. I got it just because I was experiencing some unrelated back pain and didn't want to make it any worse. The things that bother me the most about the spine protector is that it rides up (but I'm 6'4" and might even be a little tall for the X-Long size) and that it can be pretty warm in spring conditions.

I opted against the full protective vest to avoid overheating. Make sure you get one with kidney protection. The spine protector is pretty comfortable and hardly restricts movement at all.
When in doubt eat trout.
mitch84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:26pm
Nice, went on the website their stuff looks relatively cool
I'm probably gonna get something in the near future
appreciate the help guys
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by keljai

l would seriously consider shin gaurds, it seems like the first few times those took the most damage and my wrist. they are relatively cheap and u can use your rollerblade ones also. l must say though, unless you go hardcore, the chance of a head injury is minimal

i would totally disagree about the head injury correlation to hardcore. It only takes one random noob on a double black or an unseen stump or rock to send you flying and whatever happens after that is luck. I would just say that its more of a decision like it is said, better to be safe then sorry. 
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 5:04pm
wow i didnt even know all this stuff existed... all the times ive been skiing ive never worn anything haha >.< this sucks!
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 5:14pm
May not be your style, but I'd definitely go with a helmet.  Honestly, a lot of people wear them these days (and no one will care what you look like), and pretty much every snowboarder I know has gotten at least one nasty whack on the head that wasn't related to jumping.  I've also seen a few concussions (on two different occasions, this happened on the person's first day of snowboarding) - not fun to have to take your friend to the ER.  So anyway, I always ride with a helmet now, but have never used wrist guards, and only very rarely wear impact shorts.  It's really up to you whether or not you'd want to take a risk with your head/brain or if style is more important.
pimpasaurus JR View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 5:27pm
A helmet has saved me so many more times than I would like to count.  I used to think they were g a y but after hitting my head once on the hard ice, I never rode a day without one.  And if you care, they have a lot more interesting helmet designs these days that look good with whatever you got on.  Check out Bern, Smith, or RED helmets.

itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 5:31pm
I'm going to get some padded shorts after falling and bruising my tailbone this past season.  I'm also going to pick up a helmet and maybe some knee pads.  But I think the helmet and shorts are the most important.
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 6:26pm
I wear a helmet all the time, I have seen way too many head slams on hard ice not too. You must get a helmet even if you don't wear any other protective gear. Also the majority of riders wear them.
PowderMonkey View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 6:43pm
Whenever I hear a story about someone dying from a head injury they aren't wearing a helmet. Just get a nice cheap one like RED or Burn, you can even just use a skateboard helmet. I also seriously recommend some butt pads especially if you're a beginner because learning, you will spend most of you're day on your butt.   
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 6:43pm
just like everyone suggested, HELMET is almost a must! it will save you a concussion or a few stitches or something..

I wonder why people think wrist guard's so homosexual I mean no one would see, nor know that you have them..wear them under your gloves!! smh..it's funny how people want to look cool so bad, it's like screw protection I want to look rad! well let's see how cool you are when you break your wrist and/or bump your head causing a chronic effect on your health..and never be the same again!

I just wanted to sound extreme.. nah, ScottKuma seriously, just get helmet and IMO, wrist guard then you're good..butt pads too if you want to go further since you'd fall on it most of the time..
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2010 at 6:48pm
prob with wrist guards. any one new to the sport might not buy gloves big enough for them. i know i like a tight fit on mittens or gloves. and if you bought big ones, you kind of need a second pair whenever you dont wear the wrist guards.

this is not the case if you have thin wrist guards. but then again i think only the bulkier ones work.
neville View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 4:24am
On wrist guard, i like RED. They are not very bulky and can go into my glove easily. Though some people may complain that they are not strong enough for perfect protection. I would say there's no free lunch. You couldn't find an excellent protective gear which is comfy and does not require you to go 1 or 2 size up for your gloves. This is a trade-off.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 8:24am
I've heard some complaints about wrist guards causing severe forearm fractures on extremely bad falls, but I still recommend them for novice riders. Seems like those types of injuries are pretty few and far between.
When in doubt eat trout.
dking View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
06KW01

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by mitch84

I'm actually thinking about getting one of these padded shorts as well as a spine protector
any idea anybody

I like the 661 (sixsixone.com) gear, especially the bomber impact shorts.

Originally posted by Dave Legacy

I've heard some complaints about wrist guards causing severe forearm fractures on extremely bad falls, but I still recommend them for novice riders. Seems like those types of injuries are pretty few and far between.

armour, pads, guards or not, I think people should learn how to fall correctly as well. The video above is a good start.
No Sig... I'm just not that witty or creative
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 7:40pm

Pretty sure that a large percentage of injuries to the head are caused by running into objects...mainly trees.
Ejekted View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2010 at 7:44pm
Over Christmas break I saw Adam Sandler at Vail and even he wears a helmet. It's just smarter.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>