Best headphones for snowborading

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spawn View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best headphones for snowborading
    Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:06pm
I am looking to get some headphones / earphones for my next boarding experience. Does anyone here have an idea of what is the best? In-ear, the larger headphones? I have a great pair of B & O that I use for running, but they are a pain in the arse to take off with gloves on.

Any suggestions?
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chenmt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:17pm
well, u should have either a helmet or a beanie on if youre boarding. your ears will get frozen if not. unless its spring conditions. anyways, itll be hard to take anything off with gloves. go with what you have.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:24pm
none, so you can hear me yelling at you before i run your ass over...
vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by eldolocal68

none, so you can hear me yelling at you before i run your ass over...

Damn it eldo, you beat me to it you crotchety ole bastard!
vasnowboarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vasnowboarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:38pm
big skull candy are the best not the ear plugs . They cant fall off ,sound great
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by vasnowboarder

big skull candy are the best not the ear plugs . They cant fall off ,sound great

i knew someone would say SkullCandys... aside from their warranty there are much better headphones/buds for the money, but like i said the warranty they have is great thus why i buy them.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Katie0075 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Katie0075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 6:59pm
If you are using a helmet you'll want smaller earphones.  I use the ear buds that came with my ipod, but they fall out alot so i wear a beanie to keep them in better.  I also like the skull candy ear buds.
 I bought a RED helmet with speakers in the ear flaps. I don't have to worry about them falling out.  But my brother also has one but the speakers broke really quickly.
Porter707 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
POW DAY '09!

Quote Porter707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 7:24pm
I bought a pair of Smokin Bud Skull Candys (Got 'em on Amazon for like $20) then cut them so there was only one ear bud. They got a built in Volume control too so you dont have to remove the headphone and or MP3 player to control the sound. They fit nice too, come with 3 different sized buds so they dont fall out easily.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 7:26pm
I like my shule's
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
ckledzepplin View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ckledzepplin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 8:33pm
just wait a month and buy some frends headphones
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Quote eriklim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 9:06pm
Get some shure in ear headphones.  They are the best IMHO
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote UTEXASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 9:19pm
Skullcandy Chops always work well for me. I'm not into buying Skullcandy because it's "cool", I buy them because they do put out quality products. Chops never fall out with the strap around my ear and put out good quality for the price.
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote da640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 10:31pm
i use in ear headphones whether im wearing a helmet or not. I find then better because they are not as bulky. If you get a good pair that fit well, you wont have to touch them all day.
NGO View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 11:06pm
I always caught an edge when rode in my headphones! But I realized disadvantage of headphones which are pulled into the ear then. When you don't hear your surronding it is the way difficult to control own body.

Make it snow-pow-pow-pow! Signal Omni Wavelenght
vlow1210 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vlow1210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2010 at 11:41pm
Beats By Dr. Dre
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 12:32am
never liked ear buds in general, and i find them distracting for snowboarding.  i like to be able to hear whats going on, especially the board against the snow depending on the situation. and big headphones are... big.  so....

we carry skull candy, which i dont care for, and its just basic panasonic stuff anyway.. but i tried out a pair of icons this past season because of their low profile design, and theyre really cheap too (referring to price, not quality).  to my surprise, i ended up really liking them.. they fit well and stayed on my head, weigh next to nothing, the sound quality is good enough for me for snowboarding, since im not paying attention to the music that much, and.. thats all i really care about.

we got icon 2s in our most recent shipment so i took a pair of those.. upgraded construction and the wires are wrapped in that woven material so theyre less fragile and better when its cold, not that i had any issues with the regular wires.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 12:50am
Originally posted by spenser

never liked ear buds in general, and i find them distracting for snowboarding.  i like to be able to hear whats going on, especially the board against the snow depending on the situation. and big headphones are... big.  so....

we carry skull candy, which i dont care for, and its just basic panasonic stuff anyway.. but i tried out a pair of icons this past season because of their low profile design, and theyre really cheap too (referring to price, not quality).  to my surprise, i ended up really liking them.. they fit well and stayed on my head, weigh next to nothing, the sound quality is good enough for me for snowboarding, since im not paying attention to the music that much, and.. thats all i really care about.

we got icon 2s in our most recent shipment so i took a pair of those.. upgraded construction and the wires are wrapped in that woven material so theyre less fragile and better when its cold, not that i had any issues with the regular wires.

That woven stuff will fray pretty easily.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Brandysl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Brandysl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 12:57am
Headphones By  Beats by Dre Thumbs Up

The Solo w/ Control Talk Headphones in White

AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 2:40am
earbuds starting getting pretty annoying.. so i've resorted to using the speaker portion of my iphone! Its actually really useful and not as cumbersome as constantly having to deal with the strings and things of earphones... i guess if you were higher budget i'd suggest wireless headphones or burton has some fancy jacket with built in speakers...
neville View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote neville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 5:00am

Snowboarding is a matter of style. You could feel free to "dress up" whatever you wish, baggy, hip hop look which could never try in your office. So i would use eye-catching colorful skull candy. You can even find some googles will go with a set of skull candy in the same rock style, say Von Zipper...go and take a look and you would love it! 

Johnl617 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Material Puppy

Quote Johnl617 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 5:14am
skullcandys.  they are cheap, decent and I wont cry if I burn and destroy them.  

good advice on cutting one of the buds out.  I will try that out this coming season.  I cant hear anyone when I board especially when I hit them accidentally.  OH WHAT!?!!?  lol
Shift_MaximoSE
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Sintexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2010 at 5:27am
Originally posted by spenser

I love the icons for riding, fit perfectly over a beanie and stay on my head real well.  Like you said, not the greatest sound quality but its plenty good enough to ride to.  And theyre not expensive which is always a plus.
gezza View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
does it get any better...

Quote gezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 12:34am
big skullcandys inside your ear covers in your helmet...
Drexel View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Drexel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 9:00am
I wear a helmet, but I use basic SkullCandy earbuds - in one ear only so I can still hear traffic around me. Works great and very decent quality sound for such a low-priced earbud.
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Quote bonkfisher5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 9:13am
I have a red munity II helemt and I just cut up a pair of sony headphones are routed them into the ear flaps and it works so awesome.
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 11:11am
Skullcandy is 90% marketing, 10% audio.  It's like Bose for the under-20 set.

I like my RED audio pads, but if you're not riding with a helmet, then open over-the-ear headphones would be the best choice.  They won't totally isolate you (which is good) and might even afford a small amount of warmth.  Grado SR60s pretty much own for their price range, but if you check out the brains over at head-fi, they could give you some other decent recommendations.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote surgyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 11:23am
Bose ear buds are awesome if your considering buds. sound quality is very good very bassy for buds
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote itr43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 11:28am
Does anyone have any issues with snow or moisture with headphones?  I'd be worried about them getting wet.
goldhemp View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote goldhemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 11:32am
Just don't wear them when it is nasty wet snow coming from the skys.
I rock the skullcrushers, there 50 bucks and if they break you can get another pair for 50% off.
Ender View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Ender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 12:09pm
Sony has some good quality in-ear for under 30$
great sound, controls for iPod/iPhone, cheap= good combo

Shure- Always high quality sound equipment, dont know about headphones

Sennheisser- Best over-ear headphones i've ever used. Bit pricey but if you care about quality its worth it
Board-Burton Blunt 155<br />Boots- Forum Recon<br />Bindings- Burton Mission<br />Helmet- Protec B2<br />Music-Cheap mp3 that doesnt mind getting bashed<br />
Dave Legacy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dave Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 12:54pm
Buyers beware, Skullcandy products have a very very short life regardless of how well you care for them. It's rather unfortunate that they are pretty much dominating the market.
When in doubt eat trout.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 1:06pm

water and electronics just don't mix

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dave Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by carebear

water and electronics just don't mix

That's not even Skull Candy's problem. I have a few sets that I used only for casual everyday use and it's always been the same problem: Poor Wiring Connections.
When in doubt eat trout.
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 3:09pm
you know you can crop headphones and earbuds in water and they will work fine once theyre dry. i use skullcandy icons. (the original ones) theyre like 15 bucks and do the job.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 3:15pm
again, i dont care for the brand, but my icons worked awesome this year.  rode with them every day from sun to stormy rain/sleet/slush, fell on them, etc, and they look and work brand new.  im not saying theyre amazing at all, but i had nothing go wrong.

for the price, i cant think of a headphone id rather have for snowboarding, but i am not familiar with every brand and product available so what do i know..
UTEXASS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote UTEXASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 4:25pm
I'll agree with spenser on this one. The icons are a smooth decision. The price isn't too steep and they do the job. I don't really understand why people will bash skullcandy. In my oppinion, who is looking for PERFECT audio sound while snowboarding? I know I just use the headphones to listen to music in general and skullcandy puts out a good look for a decent price. Icons stay on great if you sneak them under your goggle strap btw.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 4:39pm
and what do you expect for 20 bucks anyway?
CheckOnTrips View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote CheckOnTrips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2010 at 11:29pm
Im with Spenser, i hate not hearing whats going on around me.  But i still need music so i buy helmets that have built in audio.  I can still  hear the sounds of the mountain because the speaker isnt jammed in my ear.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Dave Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 7:03am
I wasn't speaking about $20 Icons so much as $69 Full-Metal Jackets. I've already gone through two pair even will the most cautious care, but thankfully I got them at a super discounted price and Skull Candy is more than happy to replace them.
When in doubt eat trout.
Razkul99 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Board Loiter...

Quote Razkul99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 7:12am
Originally posted by CheckOnTrips

Im with Spenser, i hate not hearing whats going on around me.  But i still need music so i buy helmets that have built in audio.  I can still  hear the sounds of the mountain because the speaker isnt jammed in my ear.
After trying out my buddies gear, I would have to say the bluetooth helmet earphones are killer for music and phone calls. 
Shake and bake...
jsavage06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jsavage06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 7:17am
grab a backpack and drop a stereo in it, haha. I've got a smith helmet with built in skullcandys and their sicckk. poeple 10' away can hear them in the lift line =]
jsavage06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jsavage06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2010 at 7:19am
also, was $30 bucks for the skullcandy add on for the helmet, and i believe you can find the helmet for ~50ish. not bad when a set of full metal jackets are about that same price
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 9:25am
I bought the Motorola Giro set up...the system was 330 retail and I got it for 100 bucks with the helmet.  Even then I wouldn't really recommend the set up unless you like the helmet because I was pretty disappointed with the sound quality and the reliability of the blue tooth.
marybrown View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote marybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2012 at 8:43pm
However be careful with the cunning sellers. They try to sell their authentic Cartier watches to you in a high high cheap replica IWC watches high price; actually they are poor quality replicas. Be careful and do not waste money.&nbsp; It is true! Though replica
do not cost nearly as much as their original contemporaries, it is true that they don't cost so less either. either. christian louboutin shoes on sale either. Good high quality designer replica Rolex watches from our site are certainly the most economical Swiss Rolex replica watches
in the world.So economical that our wholesale Rolex replica watches section gets small buyers and other retailers, who buy from from christian louboutin sneakers on sale from us at this superb price, and sell to their own customers in their own countries! How are we able
sell at such an amazing price? Simple - We sell for less, because we sell more!The designer Replica Rolex Watches Watches jimmy choo fall 2012 shoes Watches on sale are some of the best choices of replica watches on the internet. Whether you are looking for
ever green Daytona replica Rolex watch, or the President Swiss replica Rolex watch; you will find the right watch at at Bell Ross replique montres at the right price right here! And a replica Rolex watch does not mean only for men. We have the
range of ladies and boys replica Rolex watch collections; making us the number one destination for those customers too; especially especially cheap christian louboutin ankle boots especially in the ladies replica Rolex collection - consisting of the spectacular Ladies 18K Gold President and the ladies Yachtmaster

mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 7:36pm
I bought a pair of skullcandy's for around $25 maybe less and i used them from the beginning of last season and i wore them through the entire school year last year and this year so far and they still are hanging on strong. They are the longest pair of headphones i have had so far. I hope i didn't just jinx myself.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 7:47pm
the cheap kind...i find that all snowboarding headphones eventually get wet/ripped/ or somehow messed up
mollicap16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote mollicap16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 7:52pm
^^ I guess i got lucky with them, but then again i only did use them about 3 times on the mountain last year.
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 8:04pm
Integrated helmet audio is the greatest thing I've ever bought. Too handy and useful.
Carver1988 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Carver1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2013 at 1:21am
Forget earbuds for snowboarding: they're tangly, uncomfortable, and the wires get in the way. Helmet speakers are cool, but I hate helmets.

The best solution my sister and I have found are ZED-phones. Flat Bluetooth Speakers stitched into really good headbands and beanies. We got ours from 
www.ZED-phones.com but I think they're in stores too. They deliver globally for free anyway.

Sounds quality was good. They play a whole day straight without a charge. Standby for days and have a wireless distance of about 10 metres. Long story short, They are the tits.
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2013 at 8:46am
Originally posted by itr43

Does anyone have any issues with snow or moisture with headphones?  I'd be worried about them getting wet.

They do make water resistant headphones but it's either hit or miss it seems but for 30 bucks for 8 gigs it isn't that bad to try out plus it's small.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>