Topic ClosedOh Snap!

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 12131415>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrStak View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oh Snap!
    Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 8:44am
Originally posted by BudAshes

Originally posted by mech9t5

Originally posted by shralp

What we need is a non-profit snowboard company.

what we need is consumers to vote with their $$.  if burton is so bad, just dont buy their stuff.  plenty of other brands that are just as good if not better.

People that actually keep up to date on this kind of stuff are a small minority.  The vast majority of people just know burton is the name brand to get if you want to look like you belong on the mountain.

QFT. You don't know how many times I see asians on my Dec Vt trips who are decked out in Burton gear and don't know how to ride. I'm not saying asians are the only ones to do that but inevitably, every season I always see them. Oh well.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:11am
Originally posted by MrStak

QFT. You don't know how many times I see asians on my Dec Vt trips who are decked out in Burton gear and don't know how to ride. I'm not saying asians are the only ones to do that but inevitably, every season I always see them. Oh well.

That's because asians (more specifically chinese) are brand whores...  
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:44am
any noobie is going to want Burton, regardless of ethnicity. I remember how badly I wanted a Burton when I was a little kid.
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

any noobie is going to want Burton, regardless of ethnicity. I remember how badly I wanted a Burton when I was a little kid.

+1 to that when i just started snowboarding i though burton was the only good brand too. most people know who shaun white is and since he rides for burton that means that burton is the best.
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:51am
exactly.

and you can't blame Burton for that, it's just good marketing. good for them.
John-John View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lake Run

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:57am
oh snaps....no burton
bitteralex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:05am
wow mech9t5 that is a gross over-generalization of asians
especially considering there are about a billion chinese
"Did you know that policemen are called cops because their badges used to made of copper?"
"That's cool... then why are they called pigs?"
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:07am

thats just shtooking stupid. since when is being a brand hussy limited to asians? i see plenty of shtooking noobs on the hill who aren't asian in all name brand gear.

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:13am
Originally posted by return2heaven

thats just shtooking stupid. since when is being a brand hussy limited to asians? i see plenty of shtooking noobs on the hill who aren't asian in all name brand gear.

I suppose when you were one of those noobs you didn't have any "name brand" gear either eh? Oh that's right, you ride a Capita now, that means you are a conforming non-conformist and so "core" because of it.

Who gives a crap what other people buy? Why is bad that a person wants to buy equipment from a company they know and have heard of? If in the market for, say, a new car, you wouldn't go out and buy some p.o.s. company that hardly anyone has heard of. You are going to go look at the major companies because of the comfort in knowing they are large company with a reputable reputation.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:22am

so noobs aren't allowed to have name brand gear? news to me.
where's the brand hussy police?
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Scorer099

I suppose when you were one of those noobs you didn't have any "name brand" gear either eh? Oh that's right, you ride a Capita now, that means you are a conforming non-conformist and so "core" because of it.

Who gives a crap what other people buy? Why is bad that a person wants to buy equipment from a company they know and have heard of? If in the market for, say, a new car, you wouldn't go out and buy some p.o.s. company that hardly anyone has heard of. You are going to go look at the major companies because of the comfort in knowing they are large company with a reputable reputation.

what? you get all that by me saying not only asians go for brand names? did i say going for brand names was bad? no i didnt.  plus i never make any claims to being non conformist or core so wtf? my gripe was the "only asian noobs are gear whores" comment.
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:29am
If you go buy capita, rome, union, k2, dc, sessions, libtech, gnu, ride, and name some others that i missed they are all brand names lil lesser known names to regular people but still brand names.

Would you guys buy that snowboard with the mustache camber? I don't think you guys would.

If in the market for, say, a new car, you wouldn't go out and buy some p.o.s. company that hardly anyone has heard of. You are going to go look at the major companies because of the comfort in knowing they are large company with a reputable reputation.

Scorer099 is on point. That is exactly why people go for the big brands. Look at nike, under armour, addidas. Most would want those brands and not a brand like Champion. You could extend that to any consumer good.

Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by determined

Would you guys buy that snowboard with the mustache camber? I don't think you guys would.

What brand is that?

Smokin? Dinosaurs will Die?
balibesnier View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Proud Chilean

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:30am
everyone goes for brand names at some level saying otherwise is just being hypocrit
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:33am

what? you get all that by me saying not only asians go for brand names? did i say going for brand names was bad? no i didnt.  plus i never make any claims to being non conformist or core so wtf? my gripe was the "only asian noobs are gear whores" comment.

i bolded the more important part of your post or you.

also, the connotation that your text/reply came off as, to me, was that noobs should not ride "brand name" gear.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:35am

just to be clear, i didn't bring up the "skill level" go for name brand shit.

my intent was wtf with the asians comment.

Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 11:40am

also, the connotation that your text/reply came off as, to me, was that noobs should not ride "brand name" gear.

well thats not what i meant at all. i could care less what anybody rides. it just irks me when others classify crap by race
Attrox View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 12:16am

well thats not what i meant at all. i could care less what anybody rides. it just irks me when others classify crap by race

LOL he is more pissed off for the comments about the noobs rather than the racist comments.

Maybe the asians that are all decked out in Burton gears don't know any better because they are beginners. It's all about brand name recognition, to them Burton = snowboarding and they got the money to burn so they buy premium. You don't have to be a hater just because you are a poor SOB racist LOL
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 4:49am

ya. I don't get why people can't stay on topic.  

I don't think it is racist to say that asians are brand whores.  If it is true it isn't racist.  Is it racist to say that asians are short?  No.  because it is true.  In general asians are short.  I never said ALL asians are brand whores just like I didn't say ALL asians are short.  there are always exceptions.

Most people don't know a thing about chinese people anyway and immediately jump on the racist stance because I "generalized".  I don't see a problem with generalization (see above).

People are too damn sensitive nowadays.  
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 5:07am

I don't think it is racist to say that asians are brand whores.  If it is true it isn't racist.  Is it racist to say that asians are short?  No.  because it is true.  In general asians are short.  I never said ALL asians are brand whores just like I didn't say ALL asians are short.  there are always exceptions.

Most people don't know a thing about chinese people anyway and immediately jump on the racist stance because I "generalized".  I don't see a problem with generalization (see above).

Actually it is racist, but that really isn't my point.  

What do you care what people get out of the sport?  In fact, these people who buy and provide money to these companies, including the resorts is what drives the sport and provides us with new and better services, terrain parks, and new technologies.  If these people didn't embrace the sport and only "good riders" were allowed to buy nice outfits and to be on the hill, the sport would die.  The best part is that they fund the sport and progress it and actually very rarely use the mountain.  So you get the benefit with the only draw back of seeing people in nice expensive snowboard clothes.  
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 5:21am
Truth is people in the west are also brand whores. I think everyone knows that. But scorer said it best here:

It gets to the nub of things nicely. Its not so much a lack of brand whoring by avoiding the most obvious names (like Burton or salomon), its just a more insidious style of brand whoring. It reminds me a lot of alice in chains.

Alice in chains was EVERYONES pet seattle band. They were the super secret under the radar band that no one but you liked. Only they were EVERYONES super secret under the radar band :)

Its very much the anti-burton thing. Everyones rad, everyones not suckered in by a lifestyle, but here we are recommending the same boards and companies over and over again :) We're all pretty much brand whores. We just have our own affiliations. Unless we test boards for a living, we all likely go to the same products every time. Theres no problem with that at all, snowboarding is an expensive outlay, we cant be too radical with our choices at the end of the day, but theres also no point in pretending we're somehow above the fray, laughing at the 35 year old salaryman side slipping gently down the mountain on his custom in a burton 1-piece... the dude's just trying to not look like an idiot after all.

Actually thats pretty much what it all comes down to, we dont want to look like an idiot, and every culture's (and peer group's) conception of an idiot is different :)

Whee! A trite finish to a laboured post, i should write cliches for a living :)
m00m
azn_dan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Me and the wifey at stowe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 5:50am

wait, i thought snowboarding was 90% gear and 10% skill. [/end sarcasm]
'10 Forces - '10 TRS - '10 Rulers '09 Blunt - '09 Freestyles - '09 Motos
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Stryker

Actually it is racist, but that really isn't my point.  

What do you care what people get out of the sport?  In fact, these people who buy and provide money to these companies, including the resorts is what drives the sport and provides us with new and better services, terrain parks, and new technologies.  If these people didn't embrace the sport and only "good riders" were allowed to buy nice outfits and to be on the hill, the sport would die.  The best part is that they fund the sport and progress it and actually very rarely use the mountain.  So you get the benefit with the only draw back of seeing people in nice expensive snowboard clothes.  

Actually, go look up racism.  It is racist if my statement was to imply that asians are inferior due to their race.  I simply said asians are brand whores.  That is not a racist comment.

I think your second part is not directed towards me because I don't talk about why people buy "expensive" gear or who can buy it.
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 6:45am

Actually, go look up racism.  It is racist if my statement was to imply that asians are inferior due to their race.  I simply said asians are brand whores.  That is not a racist comment.

I think your second part is not directed towards me because I don't talk about why people buy "expensive" gear or who can buy it.
You are implying that asains are using inferior logic because they need brand name everything.

Brand Whore carries a negative conotation, and you are in fact being a racist. 
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 9:45am
i'm asian...never bought anything burton, even when i was a newbie...i just bought what i thought would be suitable equipment for me and my riding style/level...i got a free burton operator and there were no burton logos or anything like that on it..so no one could even tell it was a burton..the board was good for what i wanted to do so i used it last season..i won a sierra reverse crew, which was made by burton's factory, still no burton logo..and i plan on riding it next season...i've never bought any snowboarding gear just for the brand...so, i guess i'm a minority among a minority..dang..i'm a nobody..
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:06am
Originally posted by Phatman

You are implying that asains are using inferior logic because they need brand name everything.

Brand Whore carries a negative conotation, and you are in fact being a racist. 

First, can you please explain where I am implying asians have inferior logic?  Can you also explain how being a brand hussy means they have inferior logic?  This is so ridiculous.  Maybe my inferior asian brain can't handle your level of logic.  

Secondly, How does being an asian brand hussy make asians inferior to any other race? FYI just because someone likes brands doesn't make them inferior to anything... 

You people are confusing racism with stereotyping.  If you said I was stereotyping asians and chinese), I would agree.  However, I am not being racist.  There is a difference between the 2.  Learn it.
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:14am
As an asian, I don't think he's being racist...just stereotyping...and a pretty ridiculous stereotype at that.

Unfortunately, it's a pretty common stereotype though. Especially where I live(Japan)... but once you live here and get to know people, you realize the vast majority of people here don't care about brand named goods. Surprise surprise, they're like most people and care more about value and quality. Asians are people, say what?!?

But there is the minority...the VERY visible minority...that care about brand, and that's the side a lot of people see. The crazy makeup, fancy dyed hairstyle, LV/Gucci/whatever everything high class girl in Tokyo is what some see as Japan. That's the side the media does stories on. But that is as mentally challenged as saying Sex and the City is a good representation of all Amerian women.

PS - And yes, I do remember complaining here before about the "Burton girls" on the slopes here in Japan. But thinking back, 95% of the people are just regular joes on the hills like you and me. The "burton girls" just kinda stick out in your mind...half because they're decked out in burton gear and half cus they have crazy fancy hairstyles while boarding...and maybe also cus they're usually pretty hot.Wink

Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:15am
1.)Inferior logic;

because your logic that you don't need brand name everything is obviously better than their logic that they need brand name everything(your implication)

2.)Again "Brand hussy carries a negative conotation, so you are inferring that Asians, a race of people, are doing something negative, aka, being a racist.

Stereotyping is part of the basis for racism. Fine line between the two and you're trying real hard to tip-toe on it, but you're pretty much failing. 
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:18am
ooh, i can't wait till this string circles back to asian driving again...that was fun last time
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:24am
i just realized that there are a lot asians here...
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:41am
Sierra points are redeamable for rice!
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:56am
Originally posted by MiguelMas

Sierra points are redeamable for rice!

bitteralex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 11:46am
that is racist... it's like saying all black people like chicken (especially the really black people)
no matter if it's true or not.. it's still racist...

anyways... there's all this burton hate coming from a few posters and i don't get it... do they make the best product out there... maybe not.. but they have very good gear...
i mean they're one of the largest snowboard companies in the world... i'm betting they put more money into R&D into their boards than almost every other company...

it reminds me of when "And 1" shoes came out... they were so hyped up because they strictly dealt with basketball shoes.. that was their focus... but when i was asking guys which shoes were the best for basketball, they were always saying nike.. why? cuz they have the money to mess around with R&D while and1 does not...

and i find it pretty funny how there's so many sierra nuthuggers out there who always recommend the RC or the crew or the stunt (and correct me if i'm wrong here) but the tech for these boards are from burton and they're buit in burton factories... but labelled sierra...
so yea burton sucks... sierra makes the best boards
"Did you know that policemen are called cops because their badges used to made of copper?"
"That's cool... then why are they called pigs?"
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 11:53am
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 1:05pm

1.)Inferior logic;

because your logic that you don't need brand name everything is obviously better than their logic that they need brand name everything(your implication)

2.)Again "Brand hussy carries a negative conotation, so you are inferring that Asians, a race of people, are doing something negative, aka, being a racist.

Stereotyping is part of the basis for racism. Fine line between the two and you're trying real hard to tip-toe on it, but you're pretty much failing. 

Do you realize how insane your "argument" is?   You're argument is that I am INFERRING that asians have INFERIOR LOGIC based on TWO words.  brand hussy  Who's failing/reaching here?  Maybe if you went a little further... put a few more words in my mouth and say I am implying that all Asians need to be banned from high end stores so they can be taught how not to be brand whores.  My logic is better than your logic which makes you an inferior race.  LOL what an argument.

Let's have some fun and try some of your logic and "inferring"... You assume I am inferring that asians have inferior logic because you are, deep down, a racist.  So you subconsciously see racism in everything people say.  You feel the need to prove to yourself, and possibly others, that you are not a racist so you rush to the defense of any race that seems to have been wronged whether they were or weren't.   How do you like that little bit of implying/inferring/assuming? 

Anyway... the proof is in the pudding...  Read below.

Originally posted by bugsbunnymydad

As an asian, I don't think he's being racist...just stereotyping...and a pretty ridiculous stereotype at that.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you (pretty pointless - except for the points...) but here are a few more racist comments so you can defend the honor of Chinese people.

Chinese people are good at math but bad at english.
Chinese people are bad drivers.
Chinese people eat dogs AND cats.
Chinese people are annoyingly loud.

Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 1:48pm
I would like to point out the only one around here who eats dogs is Steff', and she is Filipino
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 1:56pm

1.)Inferior logic;

Do you realize how insane your "argument" is?   You're argument is that I am INFERRING that asians have INFERIOR LOGIC based on TWO words.  brand hussy  Who's failing/reaching here?  Maybe if you went a little further... put a few more words in my mouth and say I am implying that all Asians need to be banned from high end stores so they can be taught how not to be brand whores.  My logic is better than your logic which makes you an inferior race.  LOL what an argument.

Let's have some fun and try some of your logic and "inferring"... You assume I am inferring that asians have inferior logic because you are, deep down, a racist.  So you subconsciously see racism in everything people say.  You feel the need to prove to yourself, and possibly others, that you are not a racist so you rush to the defense of any race that seems to have been wronged whether they were or weren't.   How do you like that little bit of implying/inferring/assuming? 

Anyway... the proof is in the pudding...  Read below.

Originally posted by bugsbunnymydad

Anyway, I'm done arguing with you (pretty pointless - except for the points...) but here are a few more racist comments so you can defend the honor of Chinese people.

Chinese people are annoyingly loud.

Based on your statements, by the transitive property, you must be Chinese since your grammar is horrible. LOL You might want to look up the definition of infer and imply.
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:02pm

Chinese people are good at Rubik's Cubes
MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:05pm
Only half of Shaka likes chicken. But that 50% likes it 200% more
than most.....

And its not Chinese people. ITS ASIANS, SILLY.
E13 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:06pm
I'm thuper therial right now!!!!!!

First of all, I don't even like you. Second of all, I don't even drink...
Shakazulu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:12pm
Are you this therial?

MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:12pm
mech9t5... are you a shrink?
MOAR powderz plz!
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:36pm

Especially you, shaka.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 6:57am
Originally posted by MTpow

mech9t5... are you a shrink?

no.  I am a chinese guy.  So my career choices were limited to Medical Doctor, Engineer, Lawyer, or Accountant.

I chose engineering.   I suppose psychiatry was also an option given that they are considered doctors... however, being chinese, I was not creative enough to think outside that box.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 7:06am
you could have been a street racer too?
MOAR powderz plz!
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 7:08am
Originally posted by itr43

Based on your statements, by the transitive property, you must be Chinese since your grammar is horrible. LOL You might want to look up the definition of infer and imply.

I already stated chinese people are bad at english.  Having said that, I used infer on purpose rather than imply.  I'm chinese so I'm all about subtility in my speech and underhanded insults.

For your information...  Infer was intentional and which is why I capatilized it to hint that what Phatman did (inference) was because he was overly sensitive to the subject.

Edit:  Sorry.  I also forgot to say that Phatman used inferring incorrectly hence the reason for the use in my reply.  

IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 7:08am

Me and my friends witnessed a chinese lady attempt to parallel park (2 days ago), into TWO open spots, she backed up and turned in so much, she was nearly perpendicular to the curb. Took her 3min 47 seconds to complete the job (yes we timed it and video taped it)

Chinese kid in my math class does not put down his damn rubiks cube ever. So annoying.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 7:11am
Originally posted by MTpow

you could have been a street racer too?

He's an engineer, he street races trains. Duh!
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 7:12am
Originally posted by IceCoast

Me and my friends witnessed a chinese lady attempt to parallel park (2 days ago), into TWO open spots, she backed up and turned in so much, she was nearly perpendicular to the curb. Took her 3min 47 seconds to complete the job (yes we timed it and video taped it)

Chinese kid in my math class does not put down his damn rubiks cube ever. So annoying.

Hahaha... Chinese and LADY.  you got a woman and she is chinese.  Obviously she can't drive.  Was she old too?  lol.  

Rubik's cubes are fun.  I have 3.  don't you?
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 7:15am
I had one, but took the stickers off to "win" cause im a shtooking tard.

No she was id say in her 40s, best part was, her husband was outside the car on the sidewalk helping and saying when to turn. lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>