3 [1.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you consider snowboarding an ELITIST sport-
    Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:11am
With the amount of cheaper stuff on Craigslist and Kijiji (not to mention this site!), I don't really think it's an elitist sport at all.  It's certainly more expensive than soccer or basketball or something, but cheap enough for almost everyone to get in.

Now if you're looking at lift tickets ... well they can start to get up there.  A lot of places have good passes like the 5x7, etc that can allow people to do it as well. 
BABY POWDER View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
this pimpin bishes

Quote BABY POWDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:14am
I definitely don't think snowboarding is an elitist sport.  If you plan it out you can get all your gear and a season pass for a very reasonable price.  Plus if you can only afford the gear and not the lift tickets you can hike for turns or get into the whole urban scene.
Notta now Nutta
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:21am
Originally posted by supcadence

i think we each have our own perception of the term elitist at this point. i don't see elitist as a term used to define social status, like the above post.

Defining social status is pretty much the foundation for the word elitist.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:28am
One thing that has led to my opinion that THIS SPORT IS ELITIST is my trip to Argentina.  That country is so poor it's sad.  If I would have gone on a humanitarian trip I would have had a totally different experience than the one I had.  Just because I was snowboarding, I was taken to the resort towns, only the finest cities in Argentina.  This is where ONLY the VERY elite in Argentina can afford.  I do realize that there are locals that live there and manage to leach off of this elitism enough to be able to afford it, but it's rare. 

And you guys complain about high ticket prices, but you fail to realize that with out the elite people, these resorts could not operate.  They would go out of business without people willing to shell out 90$ for a pass.   I'm sure everyone knows that resorts don't make money off us people who find the good deals out there.  They bank on Joe New York coming to their resort and making it rain hundos. 

solocreep View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote solocreep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:29am
Heck no. If anything, skiing is more an elitist sport
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:44am
I don't think people who snowboard have an elitist point of view of themeselves, but at the same time it is expensive. Even if you buy the gear used it still cost a couple hunderd bucks to get started and lift tickets aren't cheap. You can get deals through schools, for example it was ten dollars for a day pass at the local hill with a student id.  However if you figure it costs five dollars for a used basketball and it is free to go to the park snowboarding is really expensive.

campfortune View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote campfortune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 7:21am
A bit expensive? yes.

Elitist? No

It cost me $90 for a seanon pass. and a 5 bucks gas for a roundtrip.

if you are not extremely poor, you can afford it here.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 7:30am
don't see too many underprivileged kids out on the slopes . . . .  A lot cheaper and more accessible to pick up a basketball, soccer ball or a skateboard for sure
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 7:43am
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

don't see too many underprivileged kids out on the slopes . . . .  A lot cheaper and more accessible to pick up a basketball, soccer ball or a skateboard for sure

it's not like you can identify "underprivileged" kids if they were on the slopes anyway.
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JandJBlks2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 7:47am
wow! 90 bucks for a season pass???????!!! that's one day lift at Tahoe!!!

I'll admit, when I bought my very first board couple of years back, I had to wait a year before I got my bindings! and that came as a gift! it was too pricey for me..my work back then wasn't all that of course..

but if you want don't to spend a lot, go at nights! cheaper..mt. high offer this one "quad" tix...80 bucks for 4 tix! so that's pretty cheap IMO.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 7:59am
No, but I think skiing is for some reason.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:00am
As spenser and giftedhands has mentioned, elitist = attitude.  My stereotype from movies and specific mountains make the sport elitist like.  But, as they also said, elitist exist in every sport or hobby or activity.  When I was in Vail, it felt like the people there were the Beverly Hills of mtn.  Lots of fancy cars, clothes, and people.

Here's a simple answer, I don't feel like an elitist at all.  I'd rather be humble than have my nose up in the air...jeeves, pull my phantom from the garag'LOL

Did you google it?
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:02am
you can't identify "underprivileged kids" because they're riding on $200 boards, $100 bindings, $100 boots, $50 pants, $150 jackets, $50 lift tickets, and $50 tank of gas to get to the slopes. if you think any "underprivileged kids" have discretionary allowances to pay for that, you have never been poor. assumeing they don't go and buy their equipment, and they get a beginners package that comes with equipment rental for $75 and they wear their jeans and whatever jacket they got (yes, i've done that), that still $75. oh, and who's going to take them there? their parents who will sit at the bottom of the slopes waiting for their 1 kid? because if it's more than 1 kid, then it's $75/kid. you think any underprivileged families are willing to spend that kind of money for 1 day worth of entertainment/activities? so, yes, skiing/snowboarding is an elitist sport. it's expensive to start, and still not cheap even after you have your own equipment.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:07am
i don't think something is elitist just because poor people can't do it.  I think elitist is more of an attitude thing, in that noobs aren't invited to play without being goofed on.  I think snowboarders are generally pretty good at accepting new riders.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:08am
cheapest someone would probably be able to get a setup for would pobably be around 150 bucks . and then you gotta consider, although you guys MAY live near a mountain, most people actually generally do not. probably like around 30 or 40 bucks for gas. and a lift ticket is another 50 bucks. and as lightning said, parents are going to be hard willing to wait for a kid to go out and play for 8 hours or so while they sit at the bottom and wait. and a lot of families are hardpressed to spend that much for 1 day of fun. (again what lightning said) i think that most people dont realize how fortunate they are.
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Quote Marumm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 9:47am
While snowboarding isn't inherently elitist, there are a lot of people with elitist attitudes that snowboard.  Any time people (especially younger folk) have an opportunity to set up a pecking order, they will.  People like being in little tribes.
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Marumm

While snowboarding isn't inherently elitist, there are a lot of people with elitist attitudes that snowboard.  Any time people (especially younger folk) have an opportunity to set up a pecking order, they will.  People like being in little tribes.

i'd say skiiers have more of an elitist attitude (snobby, "why are you here destroying my mountain" mentality) while snowboarders are usually more rude (i can do whatever i want because i can, and so can you if you can catch me). of course, these are just generalizations and a bit of stereotype. but do see many people who fit into these descriptions.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 10:05am
Snowboarding is expensive and there is a lot of people who hate on skiing- so in that respect, yes. However, within the subculture of snowboarding, people are judged by their skills, not by how expensive their board and gear is. So, no in that respect.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
deepakhj View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deepakhj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 10:16am
Nope cuz I have friends that make minimum wage.. live in Tahoe.. and ride 100 days a year..

It's only elitist if you make it that way.... but for people with no money.. it's totally doable to bum it and ride everyday.

2012 154 Never Summer Proto CT w/ K2 Formulas
2010 160 Contract C62
2005 Ride DH
2009 Never Summer SL (broken)
2010 K2 DB T1
2009 K2 DB T1
Katie0075 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Katie0075 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 10:41am

Snowboarding is expensive but if you know where to look you can find deals on gear and lift tickets.  Even a poor college student, like myself, can find a way to board every season.  I buy last seasons gear at the labor bay sales, and I use it for several seasons.  I usually can find some discounted season passes, if not I have to save up to pay a bit more.

ncrun1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ncrun1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 10:47am
i think it is for the more involved riders...its like wakeboarding there are people out there wakeboarding behind bayliners but they arent the serious riders
determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 12:36pm
Not really. If you buy your stuff at retail and not know there is a place like SS with sales at the end of the season i could see how somebody would call it elitist.

What i really think is elitist sport is where the price to get in is much higher than what a middle class person or even upper middle class can  could afford to get into like boat racing, what the the CEO of Oracle does.
jivehoneyjive View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jivehoneyjive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 12:58pm
I don't think its elitist by any means- by the logic of cost, smoking, social drinking or eating out could be considered elitist; it really depends where your priorities are...

I drive a 16 year old car, wear clothes from thrift stores yet still rock quality functional boarding gear because its a passion.

On balance I'd say 60-70% of sports are more expensive than snowboarding.

jesterloc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jesterloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 2:01pm
i would say no. i was a bum for years when i worked at the mountains. The first few didn't even have a car. I rocked old but functional gear. It is something that if the passion is there than you can find the way to do it. There are countless times where i have hiked for my turns. All that cost is a sweat and desire, a pair of snow shoes can help too. I would have to say that it is not an elitist sport, Some mountains are super pricey for tickets, but you can find specials,or find a way to get on the lifts.
SME
juantostado View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote juantostado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 2:13pm
I don't think the sport intends to be elitist, but the cost of lift tickets plus travel expenses certainly makes it harder for the average joe to afford. The wealthier obviously have less problems with this, but it certainly doesn't put them above another person just because they can go much more readily.
dongypro View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dongypro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 3:01pm
If you can pull off tricks like Shaun White, then I'd consider it an elitist sport :D

Otherwise, I think anyone who is determined can learn real quickly.. I know I picked it up fast and thats where my addiction began..
87vert View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote 87vert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 5:06pm
I think it could be due to the cost of resorts and such but since alot of kids do it I don't consider it "elitest"
Lamar Tripper 159 | Flow "The Five" Bindings | Flow Rift BOA Boots | Dragon Rogue-i googles
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote fini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 5:25pm
"elitist" is an attitude.  has nothing to do with cost or any other factors.
therefore only people are elitists and not the sport or activity itself.
eating a chocolate bar could be considered an elitist activity if i, say, ate it with a knife and fork like on seinfeld.  it's all attitude.. nothing more.

people mention playing polo.  it just so happens that people who play are on the majority, elitists. doesn't make the activity itself "elite"

CarsonBoarder View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CarsonBoarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 5:34pm
I think that potatoes are elitist.  I really don't like how they snub their noses at yams.  Yams are tubers too . . .
BFBF View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BFBF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 5:54pm
Don't see any Elitist riders here in CO,,,,

HOWEVER, the bogner crowd at Vail is a whole other topic......
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote scottkUMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 5:58pm
i think every sport has elitists in it, but that doesn't necessarily make the sport an elitist sport. In Australia though its terrible.. stuff is just wayyy to expensive.. lift tickets are close on $100 per day and to buy stuff over here is roughly double the american prices! >.<
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote da640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 6:22pm
Skiing has the perception of an elitist sport in aus simply because of the large cost associated with the sport. Also most people don't live near the snow in aust so it's quite a travel distance to get there
Mark Harris View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mark Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 8:21pm
I'd say in Australia, yes it is.
btrinh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote btrinh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 9:24pm
no i don't think its that expensive. the first year i went snowboarding i borrowed my gear from friends and family. after i got the hang of it, i started to accumulate gear over time. its been 5 years and i still haven't got a full set of my own gear.
Innocence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Innocence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 9:47pm
snowboarding no, skiing yes.

a large portion of bankers/lawyers i know who have come from well off families are avid skiers.
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Quote classic_ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Mark Harris

I'd say in Australia, yes it is.

Definately, little change from $150 for list tickets and mountain access...then there's the cost of equipment...
Mark Harris View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Mark Harris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 10:01pm

Skis + boots + bindings + poles certainly are far more expensive (3x the cost as far as i can see) of snowboards.

classic_ben, then consider the cost of getting to the mountain (very little change out of $1k for me), and accommodation. If you're not in a city that has snowfields next to it, it's exceedingly expensive.

classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Quote classic_ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2010 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Mark Harris

Skis + boots + bindings + poles certainly are far more expensive (3x the cost as far as i can see) of snowboards.

classic_ben, then consider the cost of getting to the mountain (very little change out of $1k for me), and accommodation. If you're not in a city that has snowfields next to it, it's exceedingly expensive.

And that's what makes it a sport for the elite...whether you're on skis or a board, it costs a huge packet to actually get on the mountain
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 1:30am
The high cost does not make a sport elitist or not. An elitist group is one who thinks their views are superior to others.
da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote da640 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 2:10am
Originally posted by snowmen

The high cost does not make a sport elitist or not. An elitist group is one who thinks their views are superior to others.

Yes but in australia there is a perception that only the "rich" can afford to go skiing or snowboarding.
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Quote fini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 3:36am
Originally posted by da640

Originally posted by snowmen

Yes but in australia there is a perception that only the "rich" can afford to go skiing or snowboarding.

just because one is rich doesn't make that person an "elite" or have an "elitist" attitude.  people who think that without knowing or speaking to the person is just downright envious, spiteful and stupid because of what they don't have or what they can't afford.

again, "elite" is about attitude, not about cost.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 3:45am
Is NASCAR racing an elite sport because it is so expensive to particpate at that level?
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 3:49am
in Canada l dont think its considered a elite sport, but requires you to be in good economic standing more or less. Considering how most dont like to rent their goods, and requires a few times to get a handle of it, unless you got some dough, you wouldn't be doing it. However, in BC where all the big hills are and even Quebec they are consider the norm and is alot cheaper there to rent and for lift tickets
skron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote skron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 4:16am
I'm just out to have some fun with friends on the hill.. I'm sure there's egos and elitism out there but there is in any sport really.
Shadowrak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Shadowrak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 5:19am
Though skis and snowboards are both expensive, I think people in general see skiing as more elitist and snowboarding as more of a poor bro sport.
Rossignol Scope
Burton C60
Burton SL9
incompetentuser View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote incompetentuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 5:39am
I guess it depends from person to person. What do you think when you see a fat guy going down the mountain with his skis in a V wearing jeans and a Starter jacket?
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 5:56am
I don't think of it as elitist. It's just more expensive per person than the major sports.

But it is also a lot more recreational than competitive for 90% of those involved. It's about fun, not going pro.

Parents who have a 5 year old that can dribble and shoot expect him to get a scholarship and go pro.

Parents who take their 5 year old skiing/snowboarding enjoy spending time with their children. There just isn't the expectation of them to go pro and make millions. Just my opinion. 
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
herbbread View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote herbbread Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 6:45am
Snowboarding as a sport isn't "elitist" in that sense that it carries all the (often negative) connotations that word carries.  It's not necessarily viewed as an exclusive sport enjoyed only by the rich (e.g. polo), but when compared to many other sports, it's definitely not cheap.  You don't have to be of a certain social demographic to enjoy it.  Skiing used to carry some of those connotations, but snowboarding, much less.  While it may not be elitist in the traditional sense, the cost of the gear (despite all the great sales here), the cost of the lift tickets/passes, and the relative inaccessibility of resorts by those without cars or a cheap method of transport, is a barrier to entry of many poorer people.  Sure, you see tons of pre-teens/teens/young adults snowboarding, but does that mean it's widely accessible cost-wise?  I'm fairly certain almost none of the teens out there come from a poorer, below middle-class, family.

Compare this, for example, to soccer (aka football) in developing countries.  All you need is a ball, and a patch of flat ground to play it.  You can live in a shack with a tin roof and still play soccer, while these people would never dream of affording snowboarding.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 6:54am
^ yeah, what he said.

I mean maybe about 10 years ago it may be seen as more 'elitist,' but these days things as its' more accessible to more people, not as much.

It is still a sport where you need a certain amount of income to be able to afford regularly. 

wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 6:58am
i don't know about elitist.  if it implies a rich person's sport, then that certainly isn't the case since i scrounged by with coupons and deals since day one.
be talkin to ya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>