3 [1.69%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
casE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote casE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you consider snowboarding an ELITIST sport-
    Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 7:00am
^^ yea i also agree.  skiing definately seems more elitist/snobby but snowboarding just isn't accessible to those w/out funds, can't remember how many times i had to turn down a snowboard trip in college because rent/food came before first.
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote carebear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 7:03am
i think it gets that stigma cause it seems like mostly white folk on the mtn
sjhoopster28 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
winter funn :p

Quote sjhoopster28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 7:06am
no< it really isn:t...
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote EpicFAIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 7:25am
I totally think that snowboarding is an elitist sport.  $200 to a lower income earner or struggling college student paying their own way is an insane amount to spend on just a gear set up.  Usually that's barely enough to cover the cost of the board and the bindings even on Sierra (even though I did get my V spot and bindings on Sierra for $140 total).
That doesn't include the price to get up to the mountain or to actually ride.  At my mountain, you can get a season pass for $400+, daily peak season pass $60+.  Even if you go to the smaller resort and do the Ladies night where it's buy one get one free, it's still expensive and you still have to pay for the gas to get there.
Do I like being an "elitist", no.  I do love the sport and think it should be more accessible to more people, but I can't imagine how busy our mountain would be if the prices for tickets went down.
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote itr43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 7:41am
I think most people think it takes money to be "elite".  Elite means you think you're better than someone and should be treated as such.  SO by definition to be an elitist with snowboarding, you're either a better snowboarder than someone else or you think you deserve special treatment cause you know how to snowboard.  Elitist are also usually defined as small groups.  Judging by the hundreds of people at the mountain on any given day, I can safely say snowboarding is not elitist.  
Nismo33 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nismo33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:01am
When I first started boarding (4 years ago), I thought the snowboarding community would be alot less elitist then the skiing community (Skiing for 12 years before boarding). The reality the crowds are exactly the same, now with that said I will said we snowboarders are better at sharing the mountain then skiers which must always have the middle haha. 
Dirty dirty.
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowSurfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:18am
snowboarding is a costly sport that might seem elitist to some who can't afford it! when you're a starving student the cost can be prohibative, once you have a decent job you can afford the good gear and maybe even to travel to far away resorts sharing the cost with friends. once you have a family it becomes very expensive for gear for everyone, plus tickets, food and lodging that can run $200-300nt. You can spend $600 or more a day for family to stay at a nice resort. I'm lucky I live close to tahoe and can take the family up to more affordable resorts for just the day otherwise we couldn't go.
play young stay young!
bitteralex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bitteralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:37am
snowboarding is not an elitist sport...
polo is an elitist sport... golf is an elitist sport... dolphin hunting is an elitist sport...
snowboarding is an EXPENSIVE sport...
"Did you know that policemen are called cops because their badges used to made of copper?"
"That's cool... then why are they called pigs?"
NorthLakeLoc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote NorthLakeLoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:40am
no!
43 days :)
oferperry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote oferperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:48am
I agree snowboard is an expensive sport but it is hardly an elitistic sport.
itr43 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote itr43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:53am
Originally posted by bitteralex

polo is an elitist sport... golf is an elitist sport... dolphin hunting is an elitist sport...

Why is golf elitist?
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote SnowSurfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 9:16am
golf is no longer an elitist sport, you don't have to belong to a country club to play. you can buy a cheap set of used clubs and go to the local muni to play! there are people who play golf who are elitist but thats the same for many sports.
play young stay young!
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote working Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 9:17am
Originally posted by itr43

Originally posted by bitteralex

Why is golf elitist?

green fees, equipment and most importantly, the rules of decorum that determine whats civilized and not, whats acceptable and not, whats brute strength vs refined play.
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Quote Nachitox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 10:34am
Originally posted by casE

skiing definately seems more elitist/snobby
Thats just fashion and tradition.

Ski & snowboard is not elite, but its an expensive sport.
I spend an entire salary (a month) in a week snowboarding. 
A lot more money in equipment (i hope this is just once)

Its not for everybody
Argentinian rider!
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mrrorydigital Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 10:48am
I wouldn't say it's elitist but it's a very expensive hobby. If you live away from snow, travel and lodging makes it that much more expensive.
dnbreaks View Drop Down
Local
Local
mammoth mountain

Quote dnbreaks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 10:53am
Just because something is expensive doesn't make it elitist.  To me, elitism has a lot to do with attitude.
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote BVoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 11:11am
its not elitist, just expensive. you dont have to buy new gear every year and go on expensive trips. alot of people just like the sport and don't really care about the gear.
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote rishihb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 12:22pm
I wouldn't consider it elitist. Like any sport, you could buy a lot of expensive gear, but there are ways to board without spending a lot. I would consider golf an elitist sport.
bitteralex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bitteralex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 12:39pm
golf is elitist because there are some courses where they don't allow blacks.
"Did you know that policemen are called cops because their badges used to made of copper?"
"That's cool... then why are they called pigs?"
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 12:55pm
I wonder if all the other Elitist sports refute that they are elitist?  

I mean, really stop and think about it for a second.  All you people that are refuting that it is indeed an elitist sport, what are you gaining?  I think everyone just needs to exercise a little more humility in there lives and realize that they are living the dream. 

I admit that what I do has many elitist qualities, I recognize it, and I try to act accordingly.  I just try to be as humble as possible with what I'm fortunate to have.  That's the whole point of this thread.  I don't think that snowboarders really realize just how good they have it. 

djmikeyc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote djmikeyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 4:10pm
If your buying all your gear here in Australia then yes it can be very expensive however now we have discovered Sierra id have to say overall NO.

The lift tickets are the only thing i see as expensive
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by itr43

I think most people think it takes money to be "elite". Elite means you think you're better than someone and should be treated as such. SO by definition to be an elitist with snowboarding, you're either a better snowboarder than someone else or you think you deserve special treatment cause you know how to snowboard. Elitist are also usually defined as small groups. Judging by the hundreds of people at the mountain on any given day, I can safely say snowboarding is not elitist.

^ This.

Elitism isn't about simply having money, its about the attitude of these people and how they carry themselves around others. I think in terms of skiing and boarding the real elitism doesn't come from the wealthy, but rather the really core guys and girls who think because they can ski and board so well that they shouldn't have to share the mountain the rest of us "gapers". Park teams and race teams, although they have good motives such as training and progression, really promote this idea of elitism
julkydean View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote julkydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 6:40pm
I feel like if you love riding ... you gonna do it with money or without money. I don't think snowboarding is a Elitist sport. You have cheap was of doing it and then you got the really expensive way of doing it. One of my good buddies is an snowboarding instructor. When he's not teaching and is out of money, he riding on a shitty board, in the middle of the woods behind his house. I personally think he is crazy. It just shows that lack of money will not stop everyone. Now, if you really wanna talk about an elite sport, car racing. My brother used to compete, and it cost my father way over 1000 per race. 20 races a year, do the mathConfused. That did not last very long...
esy.iam View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote esy.iam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:13pm
just skimming through some of the comments, but here we go.

anything and everything that any one of you or i do would be considered "elitist", if going by how some of you are classifying elitism.

we are all elitists since we can buy bread, milk, and rice, and be able to throw leftovers away. or, in general, if we are able to throw any food away because it spoiled before we were even able to finish the food. yes, we are elitist.

we are elitist if we are able to hand pick, choose, and buy the clothes that we wear on our backs, the shoes we put on our feet, the vehicles we choose to buy, drive, modify, or fill the tanks up.

we are elitist because we can all spend hours upon hours of time on our laptops or PCs, connected to the internet.

defining elitism by how much is spent on any one particular thing is a purely contextual and arbitrary argument. it's always nice to put up for discussion but to say that it's simply a monetary bound definition is rather silly, to say the least. i was born and raised in the ghetto. my family was poor, parents worked hard to get me through childhood, and beginning years of adolescence. i started work when i was about 14 y/o and tried as best i could to pay for more of my things myself and take that heat off of my parents. obviously i still work, go to school, and still pay for all of my expenses which would include snowboarding. does that constitute me an elitist because i worked hard to be able to afford things that i enjoy? no, because many of you are detracting from the actual definition of elitism or what an elitist is. take note of the actual definition of elitism/an elitist.

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism

n.
  1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.

2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

peace.
jeffalmonte89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jeffalmonte89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2010 at 8:27pm
I know for a fact that if you ask if skiing is an elitist sport, many would agree. But snowboarding on the other hand is expensive, but not elitist. However, there are a those couple douches on the slope that act like snowboarding is an elitist sport. 
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 6:32am
Originally posted by jeffalmonte89

I know for a fact that if you ask if skiing is an elitist sport, many would agree. But snowboarding on the other hand is expensive, but not elitist. However, there are a those couple douches on the slope that act like snowboarding is an elitist sport. 

I want to compare and contrast for a second.  Have You ever been to Mt. Hood during the summer?  You could easily look at the ski racers on the hill and say crap yeah, those guys are elitist. They make their own courses and don't allow others to ride it.  They spend all this money to try and hone their skills."  But in the same token you need to step outside the bigger picture and look at where snowboarding has gone.  I venture to say that Mt Hood spends 3x's as much on their parks as they do on there skiing.   The amount spent on cat driving alone most likely eclipses anything the skiers are doing.  Not to mention the camps are private.

Anyone ever seen a ski racer in the park?  Did you cringe?  Did you think OMG what a shtooking tool, he doesn't belong here!Angry
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2010 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by esy.iam

just skimming through some of the comments, but here we go.
---
take note of the actual definition of elitism/an elitist.

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism

n.
  1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.

1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.

2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

This (the actual definition of 'elitist') probably would have been the best place to start this whole conversation.Smile
gezza View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
does it get any better...

Quote gezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2010 at 2:48am
I think your mistaken the word ELITIST.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2010 at 8:24am
Originally posted by not-ewrx

I think it's funny that kids, in this sport, try to portray themselves as gangsters, thugs, hippies, Gypsies and punks.  To me it's all such a joke because the majority of snowboarders are SPOILED shtooking ROTTEN. 

This is the most naive statement in this thread. So because riders like to dress or express themselves differently from you, that makes them a joke? So when walking around your local town and you see someone express themselves slightly different than yourself do you also consider them a joke? You realize you aren't the poster boy of what a human being should be like, right?

Also, since you seem so well in touch with the snowboard world, how can you tell that a "majority of snowboarders are spoiled shtooking rotten"? Oh, thats right, your basing that, again, off of what someone looks like. You are a major part of the problem and i can see why you have an 'elitist' attitude.

There is a difference between people who ride snowboards and snowboarders, and you sir clearly fall into the earlier category. People who ride care about what others are doing and how they look to others, while snowboarders are out there having fun, getting stoked on each other, and the overall enjoyment of trying new things, falling, being with friends, and being on the mountain.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
ozmotion View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ozmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2010 at 9:37am
Snowboarding costs a lot of money and those who participate tend to be well off, moreso than the average ball-sport player, at least. I think those generalizations are accurate, but still i dont think it's fair to conclude that it's an elitist sport. Once you get up on the mountain, as long as you rep yourself right and show your love for the sport, I think you'll get respect regardless of what kinda background you have.

tdahl824 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tdahl824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:15am
its not a sport affordable for everyone but its not elitist
164w Jones Carbon Flagship : Union Factory .:. 164 Bataleon Jam : Union Atlas
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 6:30am
Maybe 10 years ago, not anymore.  I see tons of different types of people up on the slopes now.  I think maybe if you don't live in a state like Colorado and have to travel it may seem elitist.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
jeffalmonte89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jeffalmonte89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 7:18am
^

That's a good point about location. Here in SoCal, I'd have to say its definitely not an elitist sport. But I've never been snowboarding anywhere outside the US, so I wonder if it's different in other countries.
Razkul99 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Board Loiter...

Quote Razkul99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Scorer099

People who ride care about what others are doing and how they look to others
Posting that with a tag line... "I am just here to look cool"  Oh the irony.

Okay, back to the topic. 

So many posts seem to confuse elitist as synonmous with expensive, though the two are not necessarily the same. 

From my time on the slopes boarding doesn't seem elitist in the social order sense, but most riders tend to present an attitude on the slopes which can put off other riders and defeat some of the community spirit aspired to by longstanding boarders.

With regard to expense, I think boarding is expensive as compared to most sports... if you are broke you can always climb a mountain, find a pick up game of basketball/volleyball/etc or head to the nearest shore/bank to drowned some worms.  Even after having your own gear and living within 10 minutes of some killer mountains, I find the costs to board exceeding any of those activities.
Shake and bake...
jsavage06 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jsavage06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 10:34am
No way are we elitist, maybe some of us think we're 'better' than others but I think its kindof the opposite. I've found in many situation we are 'looked down' upon as a sport either because people think its too reckless, risky or dangerous. Or because, this is what I think, they'd love to do it themselves but can't for some reason or another. Either way, doesn't matter and doesn't change anything
Alpinbogen View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Alpinbogen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 10:58am
Considering that snowboarding went mainstream about two decades ago, and is no longer edgy or rebellious (no matter how I see some of these kids act or dress), no.
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Quote giftedhands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 11:45am

There is a difference between people who ride snowboards and snowboarders, and you sir clearly fall into the earlier category. People who ride care about what others are doing and how they look to others, while snowboarders are out there having fun, getting stoked on each other, and the overall enjoyment of trying new things, falling, being with friends, and being on the mountain.

Honestly, could you define that difference? 

ive got to disagree with you here man, in my experience, the people who ride, the 'non-real snowboarders' if you will, the guys who ride 4 days a season, the noobs, have been the most carefree riders ive ever met. those are the guys who are having fun, throwing snowballs, and yes, clogging up the trails by just sitting down in the middle of the run, but they're enjoying themselves and not worried about the next man at all. which can be, yes, a bit aloof. as i meet more and more 'real' snowboarders, i meet more and more judgmental, abrasive, self-entitled characters who seem to be more concerned with making fun of noobs, or dissing peoples setups, brands, style, or skill level and hold a very one-dimensional view on what snowboarding is about. i think the people who are just about being with friends, and trying new things, tend to be the newer riders far much more than the 'real' snowboarders. 
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Quote idshredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

ive got to disagree with you here man, in my experience, the people who ride, the 'non-real snowboarders' if you will, the guys who ride 4 days a season, the noobs, have been the most carefree riders ive ever met. those are the guys who are having fun, throwing snowballs, and yes, clogging up the trails by just sitting down in the middle of the run, but they're enjoying themselves and not worried about the next man at all. which can be, yes, a bit aloof. as i meet more and more 'real' snowboarders, i meet more and more judgmental, abrasive, self-entitled characters who seem to be more concerned with making fun of noobs, or dissing peoples setups, brands, style, or skill level and hold a very one-dimensional view on what snowboarding is about. i think the people who are just about being with friends, and trying new things, tend to be the newer riders far much more than the 'real' snowboarders. 

i have to agree with you on this one. I have developed a bit of a holier-than-thou attitude towards newbs on the mountain. I usually keep my thoughts to myself though. I don't understand what you mean by one-dimensional view.

i think the people who are just about being with friends, and trying new things, tend to be the newer riders far much more than the 'real' snowboarders. 

say whaaaaaaaa? youre out in left field with this one. oh nvm snowboarding is srs bizness. No having fun once youre 'good' at it.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 12:09pm
snowboarding became elitist when it started to be dominated by jib monkies, and entered the olympics. when people could write inane blogs about the sport, when fashion designers started having their own snowboard lines, and board companies started producing $1000 boards, and $500 gold bindings, and we lost the true spirit of free riding that is now only championed by a few professional riders.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Razkul99

People who ride care about what others are doing and how they look to others
Posting that with a tag line... "I am just here to look cool"  Oh the irony.

I hate to do it, but i'm gonna go ahead and drop the "your a noob to the forums" card on you here...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 10:21pm
Yes, it is an expensive sport but it is not an elitist sport because it is open to the public but if you took that away and made it for the rich only resort then yes it would be an elitist sport.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2010 at 10:53pm

I think this statement could be very regionally based really. For the most part, where i am at, i don't feel that is true.

As for defining what i am trying to say, it's tough to put into words, but i'll try...
For the  'people who ride' category, just look at the all people on the forum who make posts about which board is "cooler", or if something "looks dumb," or how they need to have a quiver of boards for every occasion. They are people that, to me, are trying to fit in with the "scene" of snowboarding, more so trying to impress people with what they ride or how they look going to the mountain, and then can't ride worth a lick.

As for 'real snowboarders' as you put it, i feel are the opposite. Sure they want to have nice gear too and all, but when it comes down to it they can go kill it (a relative term of course) on a 5150 just as well the snowboard industry big box flavor of the month board and still be stoked that they are riding, they know its the rider not the gear. They go out and have fun almost all of the time, ride with friends, don't care what others are thinking, and just shred it. I feel like the 'real snowboarders' can get stoked on anything, whether it be a noob stomping their first trick or their homeboy throwing down corked spins. These aren't necessarily elite or expert riders by any means, more of a mindset that skill set type of thing, but i do feel most of them fall into elite rider territory.

Then i also feel you have the crowd of riders that you describe above. I would classify them as "scensters" who don't really fall into either end of the above spectrums but don't want to be the 'people who ride' so they try and bring themselves up by bashing on the 'people who ride' category (if that makes sense).

Like i said, it's hard to put into words for me, but i did the best i could. Some of you are probably thinking this response is ironic based on my post history, but i would whole heartidly (sp) disagree and those of you who have rode with me would probably agree. We are out there having fun, pushing each other as much as possible, helping each other, and just having un in general. Does that mean we don't laugh at the stupid stuff on hill? Absolutely not, but just cause you laugh doesn't mean your being judgmental or mean spirited. See in reality, everything isn't unicorns and rainbows or peaches and cream, and what you may feel is negativity, i feel is just playing the opposite end of the spectrum, which i feel a lot of people don't look at or even recoginze. For example, let's take "sierra" branded boards... are they quality boards? Sure, they are made by some of the best in the industry. Are they going to provide enjoyment for those riding? Sure. Are the affordable to most? Yes. But i feel like, regardless of opinions on Sierra itself, that people don't open their eyes past this website and if anything mentioned that isn't "sierra" makes you a negative person when it reality it doesn't. It's also like the issue with Sierra and Chapter 11 going on right now, so many people post in the threads and come off as though they think snowboarding is going to end if Sierra is, or isn't, around, when i fact Sierra has a nill impact on the state of snowboarding itself.

That got off track a little, i apologize, i'm kinda drunk right now (thank you spell check!) but i think it is a valid point.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:04am

I think this statement could be very regionally based really. For the most part, where i am at, i don't feel that is true. As for defining what i am trying to say, it's tough to put into words, but i'll try...For the  'people who ride' category, just look at the all people on the forum who make posts about which board is "cooler", or if something "looks dumb," or how they need to have a quiver of boards for every occasion. They are people that, to me, are trying to fit in with the "scene" of snowboarding, more so trying to impress people with what they ride or how they look going to the mountain, and then can't ride worth a lick. As for 'real snowboarders' as you put it, i feel are the opposite. Sure they want to have nice gear too and all, but when it comes down to it they can go kill it (a relative term of course) on a 5150 just as well the snowboard industry big box flavor of the month board and still be stoked that they are riding, they know its the rider not the gear. They go out and have fun almost all of the time, ride with friends, don't care what others are thinking, and just shred it. I feel like the 'real snowboarders' can get stoked on anything, whether it be a noob stomping their first trick or their homeboy throwing down corked spins. These aren't necessarily elite or expert riders by any means, more of a mindset that skill set type of thing, but i do feel most of them fall into elite rider territory. Then i also feel you have the crowd of riders that you describe above. I would classify them as "scensters" who don't really fall into either end of the above spectrums but don't want to be the 'people who ride' so they try and bring themselves up by bashing on the 'people who ride' category (if that makes sense).Like i said, it's hard to put into words for me, but i did the best i could. Some of you are probably thinking this response is ironic based on my post history, but i would whole heartidly (sp) disagree and those of you who have rode with me would probably agree. We are out there having fun, pushing each other as much as possible, helping each other, and just having un in general. Does that mean we don't laugh at the stupid stuff on hill? Absolutely not, but just cause you laugh doesn't mean your being judgmental or mean spirited. See in reality, everything isn't unicorns and rainbows or peaches and cream, and what you may feel is negativity, i feel is just playing the opposite end of the spectrum, which i feel a lot of people don't look at or even recoginze. For example, let's take "sierra" branded boards... are they quality boards? Sure, they are made by some of the best in the industry. Are they going to provide enjoyment for those riding? Sure. Are the affordable to most? Yes. But i feel like, regardless of opinions on Sierra itself, that people don't open their eyes past this website and if anything mentioned that isn't "sierra" makes you a negative person when it reality it doesn't. It's also like the issue with Sierra and Chapter 11 going on right now, so many people post in the threads and come off as though they think snowboarding is going to end if Sierra is, or isn't, around, when i fact Sierra has a nill impact on the state of snowboarding itself.That got off track a little, i apologize, i'm kinda drunk right now (thank you spell check!) but i think it is a valid point.

whew! did anyone else take the time to read all that drival? if sierra has zero impact, what is all the fuss about, not including the angryboarder site, how many post on the subject have you made here? when in reality, the marketing philosophy behind sierra is very important to how the industry proceeds.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:18am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

whew! did anyone else take the time to read all that drival? if sierra has zero impact, what is all the fuss about, not including the angryboarder site, how many post on the subject have you made here? when in reality, the marketing philosophy behind sierra is very important to how the industry proceeds.

Really? Regardless of personal thoughts on Sierra, other online stores, or any of that bs, you honestly can't believe that Sierra is THAT important to how the industry proceeds in the giant spectrum of things. And that isn't a bash on Sierra either, same could be said for any retailer, especially other online retailers.

The big fuss on this site for most is the fact they won't be able to buy gear at 50-70% off. The big fuss for others is that Sierra is hurting other retailers by selling gear at deep discounts so early in the year. I don't necessarily blame people for wanting to save a buck, but regardless of what happens with Sierra the snowboard industry is going to continue to grow and progress.

BTW, the bold makes me laugh. Your out of the loop i guess...LOL

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:25am
guess, jus seems strange you advertise the site in your tag(?). so why don't you inlighten me, and others that might not be in the "loop"...
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:31am

guess, jus seems strange you advertise the site in your tag(?). so why don't you enlighten me, and others that might not be in the "loop"...

Nah, i'll let you figure it out on your own...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:33am
thus, as an elitist snowboarding snob, you prove my point.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:35am

thus, as an elitist snowboarding snob, you prove my point.

haha, def not at all man, you just wanna make assumptions.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:40am
no assumtions, jus observation
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2010 at 9:43am
I am observing that you can't spell that well.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>