You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eriklim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you consider snowboarding an ELITIST sport-
    Posted: Jul/18/2010 at 6:28pm
I think skiing is more of an elitist sport.  Snowboarding, don't think it personally.

It's hard to get into snowboarding because of the intial investment, unlike basketball for instance.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 4:04am
Originally posted by K8sgotgame

Originally posted by snowmen

Originally posted by Superorb

There are still a few resorts in the USA that don't allow snowboarders. THAT is elitest.

It's not elitist -- it's about tradition for some of these places.  I can tell you that Mad River Glen would be way to busy if it allowed riders.  Trails are really narrow and it's a small place.  Frankly, it' awesome the way it is.  And yes, that is without snowboards.
Mad River states "protecting and preserving our unique ski experience is what our owners clearly want". The owners are all skiiers who own a piece of the cooperative. This is most definitely elitist, these skiiers feel that they are superior to snowboarders and don't want them on their mountian. "Tradition" was the same argument all White and all Men clubs used to discriminate against minorities and women. Overcrowding can simply be solved by limiting the number of lift tickets sold.

Way to pull the race/minority card out in a snowboard discussion.   Are you serious?? Wacko

I don't understand why it's elitist that a co-op group of owners of a mountain want to dictate who uses their place.   Did you know that MRG offers some of the best ticket prices in VT?  Or that they one of the only operating single chairs in existence?  Talk about tradition.   I would think that a bunch of elitist skiers would want a high speed quad so they didn't have to wait in line like commoners. 

MRG has a great vibe.  As a snowboarder who also skis (and "looks" like a snowboarder with my gear), I have never.. EVER had a bad experience with anyone at MRG.

Having skiers and snowboarders together on that terrain would be downright dangerous in my opinion.

People on this board bitching about ski-only areas is ridiculous.  The way everyone complains about skiers around here isn't elitist in any way?  The name calling?  Stereotyping? 

And again.. way to pull the race, minority card in the middle of a snowboard discussion. 

Using "Tradition" as an argument to discriminate against an entire class of people (i.e., skiiers over snowboarders at Mad River Glen) is exactly elitist and is exactly the argument used by other groups to discrminiate based on race or gender. That is what the all men clubs used to say, "we have had only men in our clubs for 100 years ... and we want to keep the tradition ...". That is just a lame excuse to discriminate. I am from New England and ride all over New England including VT and I get along just fine riding along side skiiers and snowboarders on many narrow New England trails without any safety issues. Why do you feel that you need to ban snowboarders for safety? I also don't understand how excluding snowboarders has anything to do with the low ticket prices or the single chair lift; will letting snowboarders in change that?
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 4:37am

There are still a few resorts in the USA that don't allow snowboarders. THAT is elitest.

It's not elitist -- it's about tradition for some of these places.  I can tell you that Mad River Glen would be way to busy if it allowed riders.  Trails are really narrow and it's a small place.  Frankly, it' awesome the way it is.  And yes, that is without snowboards.
Mad River states "protecting and preserving our unique ski experience is what our owners clearly want". The owners are all skiiers who own a piece of the cooperative. This is most definitely elitist, these skiiers feel that they are superior to snowboarders and don't want them on their mountian. "Tradition" was the same argument all White and all Men clubs used to discriminate against minorities and women. Overcrowding can simply be solved by limiting the number of lift tickets sold.

Way to pull the race/minority card out in a snowboard discussion.   Are you serious?? Wacko

I don't understand why it's elitist that a co-op group of owners of a mountain want to dictate who uses their place.   Did you know that MRG offers some of the best ticket prices in VT?  Or that they one of the only operating single chairs in existence?  Talk about tradition.   I would think that a bunch of elitist skiers would want a high speed quad so they didn't have to wait in line like commoners. 

MRG has a great vibe.  As a snowboarder who also skis (and "looks" like a snowboarder with my gear), I have never.. EVER had a bad experience with anyone at MRG.

Having skiers and snowboarders together on that terrain would be downright dangerous in my opinion.

People on this board bitching about ski-only areas is ridiculous.  The way everyone complains about skiers around here isn't elitist in any way?  The name calling?  Stereotyping? 

And again.. way to pull the race, minority card in the middle of a snowboard discussion. 

Using "Tradition" as an argument to discriminate against an entire class of people (i.e., skiiers over snowboarders at Mad River Glen) is exactly elitist and is exactly the argument used by other groups to discrminiate based on race or gender. That is what the all men clubs used to say, "we have had only men in our clubs for 100 years ... and we want to keep the tradition ...". That is just a lame excuse to discriminate. I am from New England and ride all over New England including VT and I get along just fine riding along side skiiers and snowboarders on many narrow New England trails without any safety issues. Why do you feel that you need to ban snowboarders for safety? I also don't understand how excluding snowboarders has anything to do with the low ticket prices or the single chair lift; will letting snowboarders in change that?

MRG is extremely narrow and steep in a lot of places - it's unlike any terrain in the northeast from that respect.

I am not banning snowboards for safety but as someone who does both (I primarily snowboard but I also tele ski), I can see why it's an issue. 

The place would be crazy crowded.  The line for the single chair already takes forever.  And yeah.. lift prices would probably go up so that less people would go so it wouldn't be overcrowded.

We can agree to disgree, I'm fine with that.  But your race/minority comment is pretty ridiculous.   Tradition aside -- the owners can do what they want.  Just like SS can run 70% for just snowboard gear but not ski gear. 
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 7:52am

We can agree to disgree, I'm fine with that.  But your race/minority comment is pretty ridiculous.   Tradition aside -- the owners can do what they want.  Just like SS can run 70% for just snowboard gear but not ski gear. 

It is not a ridiculous comparison at all. If the owners of MRG had never allowed woman on their hill i bet you would feel different whether it was tradition or not. That is what some snowboarders probably feel as well.
MRG's feelings that their "tradition" of being skier-only is most definitely an elitist view point. Your argument that the place would be over crowded and long lift lines is nothing more than an excuse as to why they should stay skier-only and continue to be elitist. If they opened the door to snowboarders, especially if it's great "terrain"Ermm as you say, they would increase their profit , and what right minded business owner doesn't want to increase profits. Even if they raised ticket prices they will still increase profits while, maybe, decreasing some of the "over crowding", or they don't decrease crowding and they make even more money. The fact they see and know this yet still continue to operate as a skier-only resort shows nothing more than their elitist view point.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
brett.howard1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote brett.howard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 8:03am
i personally think snowboarding can be looked at as an elitest sport for some people and for others its just a fun sport to try that their friends will try as well
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 8:25am
I wouldn't call the people at Alta elitist.  I just call them DickBags.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 8:55am
Elitist may have lots of connotations that don't really fit so well.  But I also know that I never went snowboarding until I was 20, and I started playing basketball and soccer when I was 3.  The cost of tickets, transportation, and gear was definitely a part of that.

I don't know too many sports that have as much of a cost to get started.  In that way, there is a base level of elitism. 

Nevertheless, it isn't like golf where there are still places/communities that won't let lower-class people on the course (note: I know it isn't like this on most courses anymore), or like Polo or something significantly elitist, but compared to something you can do for free or almost free...i.e. - basketball, skateboarding, etc., I would consider it elitist.
nicholaslalley View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cat

Quote nicholaslalley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 9:18am
Yes cuz I live in KY and it cost 300$ for a pass and its not that good of a place to go.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 9:27am
Originally posted by nicholaslalley

Yes cuz I live in KY and it cost 300$ for a pass and its not that good of a place to go.

That's not elitest, that is just the way it is for resorts in the southeast. For all intents and purposes, resorts in the SE shouldn't exist due to a lack of natural snowfall. These resorts must spend an enormous amount money to create artificial snow.

$300 for a pass is dirt cheap. Passes for resorts in NC/VA are $500+ and they aren't even super great. The NC super pass was $900 last year.
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
Alkasquawlik View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Alkasquawlik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 9:41am
Sucks for you guys.

I paid $220 for my Northstar/Sierra pass.
chunpunzee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote chunpunzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 10:25am
I feel skiing is perceived more as an elitist sport. Snowboarding was the rebel anti-establishment sport when it first started. I don't think it's evolving to be elitist.
knoelle11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote knoelle11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 11:01am
What is your definition of elitist? Most of the previous posts seem to indicate that while snowboarding is (relatively) expensive, it is not elite. Like any sport, you're going to end up paying a lot of up-front costs to participate - new/used board, bindings, gear, lift tickets, lessons, and lodging among others. Does the cost make the sport elitist? Certainly not. Were ski resorts to become clubs allowing only members who have paid a fee to ride there and not the general population, then maybe the sport could be considered elitist. Glad that hasn't happened.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Alkasquawlik

Sucks for you guys.

I paid $220 for my Northstar/Sierra pass.

Did you buy it from Northstar? Is it some special price like a college deal?
Snow Day Colorado

09 Sierra Crew | 10 Sierra Reverse Crew | 10 Sierra Bluebird | 09 Union Force | 10 Burton Triad | 11 Rome 390 | 10 Burton Moto
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 3:16am

MRG is extremely narrow and steep in a lot of places - it's unlike any terrain in the northeast from that respect.

I am not banning snowboards for safety but as someone who does both (I primarily snowboard but I also tele ski), I can see why it's an issue. 

The place would be crazy crowded.  The line for the single chair already takes forever.  And yeah.. lift prices would probably go up so that less people would go so it wouldn't be overcrowded.

MRG's own website advertises how they have a great skier expereince "free of snowboarders". That is certainly Elitist. Unlike you, they don't mention "tradition", or how allowing snowboarders would increase safety risks (because we all know that MRG has such extreme terrain that snowboarders can't handle it) or because the ski area would get crowded (so lets exclude whole classes of people that we feel superior too). These are exactly the same arguments used by other groups who discriminate based on race, gender, etc. and the comparison is completely valid. Finally, of course the owners can exclude snowboarders if they wish, as you indicate, but you started this thread with trying to hide MRG's motives as being "tradition". It seems MRG is more upfront than you are.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 3:44am
Mad River Glen, ski it if you can, or...Mad river Glen...I'd ride it, if they let me! Same excuses Alta uses, all just BS, cause I have ridden Alta with my split board, and i have been on skis at both mountains and their terrain is completely accessible to snowboarders.
ctkuku View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Epic day at Wintergreen after a 30in. dump

Quote ctkuku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 5:39am
Look what I've started...LOL

Dammit, posted on my fiance's username.
snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Quote snow4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 5:42am
hell yea it is.
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
ksmountain View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ksmountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 6:56am
Nobody's going to take my KU is awesome bait?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 12:12pm

MRG's own website advertises how they have a great skier expereince "free of snowboarders". That is certainly Elitist. Unlike you, they don't mention "tradition", or how allowing snowboarders would increase safety risks (because we all know that MRG has such extreme terrain that snowboarders can't handle it) or because the ski area would get crowded (so lets exclude whole classes of people that we feel superior too). These are exactly the same arguments used by other groups who discriminate based on race, gender, etc. and the comparison is completely valid. Finally, of course the owners can exclude snowboarders if they wish, as you indicate, but you started this thread with trying to hide MRG's motives as being "tradition". It seems MRG is more upfront than you are.

First off... I didn't start the thread.  I was just throwing info from another side of things.  The OP is afterall posting to a BB that is primarily snowboarders.  I'm not hiding anything and am not a MRG owner, just repeating what I've been told by owners there as well as people who frequent the place.  God forbid anyone says anything around here that isn't 100% pro-rider 100% of the time.  I should just jump on the skier-hater bandwagon just like the Capita bandwagon or the Burton-hater bandwagon with everybody else.  I've never had a problem with skiers when I ride (which is 99% of the time).  In fact, I spend my lift rides with skiers chatting it up and helping our image as riders instead of acting like a jerk sitting in silence with my headphones on judging the guy sitting next to me.  Don't you think lumping all skiers into a group and calling them elitist jerks is just the same as them doing that to us?  Or calling us a bunch of criminals, idiots, whatever?

I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that I am some sort of a racist asshat for expressing arguments from the other side of things.  There are two sides to every story, argument, etc.  If you don't look at both sides of things you'll never find a good solution to the problem.

If people have such a problem then go poach it.  They aren't going to use you for target practice or anything.

Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 12:19pm
When I stated that places that ban snowboarders is elitest and you replied, that's what we're going on. You tried to defend their decision. They can do whatever they want, and it doesn't make them good or bad, it just makes them look elitest.

If you skii'd (sp?) only and did not snowboard, how would you view a resort that only allows snowboarders? I'd venture a guess that you'd think they thought they were better than skiers and therefore excluded them. Well, that's the way we view resorts that ban snowboarders.

Snow Day Colorado

Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 12:21pm
^^ Someone's gotta express their side someplace Wink

Honestly I don't give a shat if a mountain allows only one or the other.  They just won't get my business if I'm not doing one of those things.  It's not like there aren't plenty of other places to go ride or ski.
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 12:22pm
I hate the whole "you couldn't ride Alta because you can't traverse" argument that I get.   I beat skiers on traverses all the time. 
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 2:14am

First off... I didn't start the thread.  I was just throwing info from another side of things.  The OP is afterall posting to a BB that is primarily snowboarders.  I'm not hiding anything and am not a MRG owner, just repeating what I've been told by owners there as well as people who frequent the place.  God forbid anyone says anything around here that isn't 100% pro-rider 100% of the time.  I should just jump on the skier-hater bandwagon just like the Capita bandwagon or the Burton-hater bandwagon with everybody else.  I've never had a problem with skiers when I ride (which is 99% of the time).  In fact, I spend my lift rides with skiers chatting it up and helping our image as riders instead of acting like a jerk sitting in silence with my headphones on judging the guy sitting next to me.  Don't you think lumping all skiers into a group and calling them elitist jerks is just the same as them doing that to us?  Or calling us a bunch of criminals, idiots, whatever?

I'd appreciate it if you didn't imply that I am some sort of a racist asshat for expressing arguments from the other side of things.  There are two sides to every story, argument, etc.  If you don't look at both sides of things you'll never find a good solution to the problem.

If people have such a problem then go poach it.  They aren't going to use you for target practice or anything.

I know you didn't start the original thread, I was referring to the sub-thread started when you defended MRG's practices as "tradition".

You are really spinning this thread off topic. Please review since you started posting. No one has said (as you state) that they hate all skiers, or called them criminals, idiots, nor did we call all skiers elitists. I certainly did not claim nor imply that your a "racist asshat"; I simply stated that your lame excuse of using "tradition" to ban classes of people is identical to the excuses used by all Men's clubs and all White clubs in the past.

I also don't need to poach MRG. I always ride with both snowboarders and skiers in my family and we have plenty of places to go where they accept everyone.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 6:58am

I know you didn't start the original thread, I was referring to the sub-thread started when you defended MRG's practices as "tradition".

You are really spinning this thread off topic. Please review since you started posting. No one has said (as you state) that they hate all skiers, or called them criminals, idiots, nor did we call all skiers elitists. I certainly did not claim nor imply that your a "racist asshat"; I simply stated that your lame excuse of using "tradition" to ban classes of people is identical to the excuses used by all Men's clubs and all White clubs in the past.

I also don't need to poach MRG. I always ride with both snowboarders and skiers in my family and we have plenty of places to go where they accept everyone.

We really need to stop quoting everyone's post in a long line of quotes. Just delete out everything and leave the quote you're responging too. It makes it a lot easier to follow/read.

I'm using you as an example SnowmenWink
Snow Day Colorado

Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 7:50am
How is this an argument against it being elitist?

It sounds more like you think it is elitist and you want to crack on the South.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:08am

We really need to stop quoting everyone's post in a long line of quotes. Just delete out everything and leave the quote you're responging too. It makes it a lot easier to follow/read.

I'm using you as an example SnowmenWink
Yeah, your right, those were getting pretty long especially with the face palm picture in there.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:12am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Yes. I do think the practices at MRG are elitist. No specific crack on the South, just a comparison to other Elitist and discrminatory practices.
Superorb View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Superorb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:15am

Yes. I do think the practices at MRG are elitist. No specific crack on the South, just a comparison to other Elitist and discrminatory practices.

Vermont is in the south? Ermm
Snow Day Colorado

snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:28am

Vermont is in the south? Ermm
I think he was making reference to the racist claims made by K8???
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 4:47pm
My internet driving abilities are > YORE internet driving abilities.
Blur510 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Blur510 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 6:12am
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Relevant bump http://unofficialnetworks.com/skiers-fistfight-snowballs-dad-richer-white-boy-skier-problems-120016/

haha so funny, guy in the blue sucker punched the other guy, how stupid too he should have taken his skis off first. Then he got his ass beat. 
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Blur510

Originally posted by not-ewrx

Relevant bump http://unofficialnetworks.com/skiers-fistfight-snowballs-dad-richer-white-boy-skier-problems-120016/

haha so funny, guy in the blue sucker punched the other guy, how stupid too he should have taken his skis off first. Then he got his ass beat. 
I kept thinking, that dude should take off his ski's if he's going to scrap. Then he got handled while sliding down the hill. Hilarious!
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 6:53am
^ That punk in the over-sized blue and red hoodie/jacket got what he deserved.  The kid in black gave him some good whoop-ass.  Well played.  Apparently red/blue was dumb enough to go back for more.

Punk-ass kids should stay off the mountain.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 7:44am
dumbass had it coming... to stupid to take his skis off to give himself a chance... stupidest thing to argue over in the first place.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
cds4288 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote cds4288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 8:28am
it is just like every other sport out there. there are those who take it super serious and there are those who just want to have fun and make the most out of the time they spend. elitist is a mind set.
Piranha View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Piranha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 8:28am
you know you're pathetic when getting punched on the side of the helmet makes you scream out in "pain" (faking bitch). 
Looks like a douche=is a douche
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 8:56am
The blue/red guy is so hilarious that the guy just stopped pounding on his ass while he hugs his legs.  LOL  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Pngo12 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Pngo12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2013 at 9:45am
I wish I saw the blue/red kid go for more hahahha!!
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2013 at 3:42pm

Elitist may have lots of connotations that don't really fit so well.  But I also know that I never went snowboarding until I was 20, and I started playing basketball and soccer when I was 3.  The cost of tickets, transportation, and gear was definitely a part of that.

I don't know too many sports that have as much of a cost to get started.  In that way, there is a base level of elitism. 

Nevertheless, it isn't like golf where there are still places/communities that won't let lower-class people on the course (note: I know it isn't like this on most courses anymore), or like Polo or something significantly elitist, but compared to something you can do for free or almost free...i.e. - basketball, skateboarding, etc., I would consider it elitist.

It is definitely an expensive sport unless you live near a mountain. I wouldn't say it is elitist although snowboarding/skiing on a regular basis is out of reach for many middle class families primarily due to travel and lodging costs. 
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2013 at 9:22pm
it can definitely start to become an elitist sport if one has a large family or starts craving bigger resorts, BUT i have found very cost effective ways to pursue snowboarding, craigslist tickets, carpooling, cheaper hotels etc...
LaNieve View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote LaNieve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2013 at 1:19am
Haha unofficial networks is awesome.
I definitely dont think snowboardings an elitist sport, even from the beginning snowboarding was like the underdog of the winter sports where us snowboarders were looked down on by skiers. Also from the beginning of time skiing was probably one of the ultimate elitist sports, and it hasnt exactly changed much now. skiing is expensive (more expensive than snowboarding when it comes to hardgoods) and a lot of my skier friends who learnt skiing from their family ski holiday trips have rich-ass parents haha
I think snowboarding is definitely more like surfing and skateboarding where people just have fun, do whatever they want to do and dont conform to what society tells them to be. No matter how big snowboarding becomes or a little more expensive, i think thats the mindset that most snowboarders will have at the end of the day.
Muse25 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Muse25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by cds4288

it is just like every other sport out there. there are those who take it super serious and there are those who just want to have fun and make the most out of the time they spend. elitist is a mind set.

Well put! I met some really cool riders who are just out to have a good time and share the experience and I've encountered some who think they own the mountain.
Winner#1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Winner#1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 1:28pm
I don't know if elitist, but snowboarding & skiing are a rich man's sports.
Winner # 1: Winner#1
(still waiting for the day)
anna.chan18 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote anna.chan18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Winner#1

I don't know if elitist, but snowboarding & skiing are a rich man's sports.

or the sport of ppl who give up things to go boarding, like packing lunches, cheap lodging etc.. it doesnt HAVE TO be a rich man sport if you are willing to make sacrifices
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2013 at 2:41pm
It used to me more of a rich man's sport but now with new manufacturers emerging its easy to get cheap gear. And as far as expensive resorts and lodges are concerned there are definitely ways around that like packing your own food. There are definitely different classes of riders. There's the ones who can afford the latest everything and enjoy splurging on the luxuries at the resorts and then those who scrounge up any loose money they have to buy old models and used equipment. From my experience its the people who can barely afford it that enjoy riding the most because we make the most out of every opportunity on the mountain. We don't care what the conditions are like as long as we can ride with some good friends and have a good time. 
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 6:41am
^It sounds like some of these arguments are differentiating between elitist and expensive, which I guess is a reasonable way of looking at it. I however, always see expensive as being equivalent to elitist.  I think when the bottom 50% do not have access to the same things the top 50% do (pardon the imprecision of my percentages when referring to economic disparity), that makes it elitist to some degree.  And you can buy used gear and make your sandwiches all you want, but gas+lift ticket makes it only available to part of our population.

Not the same as racial or social membership type stuff, but still similar enough.  And when resorts get to crowded, how do they respond?  By raising cost of lift-tickets.  This isn't because they need more money for operations; it is because it is an easy way to reduce the crowd while maintaining income.  That is very similar to how golf courses, boat clubs, etc manage status, regardless to if they implemented overt racist/sexist policies.

JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 6:46am
To me, elitist is the act of actively and deliberately blocking a population from participation.

So, like Mr Jenkins just said, the act of deliberately raising prices to limit demand is pretty freekin elitist. 

But, not all hills or golf courses or what have yous participate in these practices.  So I'd say that the sport as a whole is not elitist. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2013 at 7:06am
I think the elitist part is the fact that discrepancy is visible.  

Take your local public golf course vs a club-type course.  That could be similar to Hoodoo vs Mt Hood Meadows comparison for my local boarding.

Though you can get on at a public golf course doesn't mean golf is not elitist.  There are people at the club course that wouldn't be caught dead at the public course OR when golfing either course, would do so with an attitude of "who let this rif-raf in" even though everybody paid the same amount.  I think there are similar characteristics of those who, when they think snowboarding, they are thinking vacations to Colorado and Whistler and not considering that local hill to be worthy of their time.  So the more accessible the place, the more the elite consider it beneath them.

Compared to this example, I do think the attitudes of snowboarders are less elitist than that golf example, or even skiers with the same example.  However, that is how I see this sport falling more squarely under the category of "elite."  Moreso than other sports like basketball, skateboarding, etc, where there are still attitudes, but they are more skill based than "who belongs" based.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345