Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1516171819 20>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Golf Thread
    Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 3:58am
ah well. at least you're playing!
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 4:38am
I never thought golf would be this addicting. I finally broke 90 for the the first time Sunday (shot an 88). Swing felt awesome. 5 pars, 1 birdie. I'm pretty pleased with that for only having started about 6 months ago.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 8:23am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

I missed the scramble my work sponsored some teams for, which pissed me off. But... it's really damn windy outside today, so I'm kinda laughin it up!

Bahahaha, my boss who wouldnt let me take the day off to golf in the scramble got yelled at by his bosses who wanted me there :))
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by KidFlippy

I never thought golf would be this addicting. I finally broke 90 for the the first time Sunday (shot an 88). Swing felt awesome. 5 pars, 1 birdie. I'm pretty pleased with that for only having started about 6 months ago.
That's amazing for 6 months! Your swing must be coming along nicely. Are you taking lessons? I was lucky enough to have a team at my high school and played for 2 years. My handicap was around a 8-9 at the time. Playing as an adult is much more fun. Golf is better slightly buzzed.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 6:26pm
Shot the worst round of my life yesterday. Not one drive got further than twenty yards. I need to take lessons from Chubbs Peterson I think, It's all in the hips.
snowboardinrox357 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote snowboardinrox357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by steezemisterr

Shot the worst round of my life yesterday. Not one drive got further than twenty yards. I need to take lessons from Chubbs Peterson I think, It's all in the hips.

Don't worry. I bet you're better at golf than me. The only golf I've ever played is mini golf
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2012 at 8:03pm
shut up snowboardinrox 357. just leave already? nobody wants your bull crap posts. But you wont see this, your 5 and out is over and you are long gone.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 4:02am
haha.. funny thing for me is, I can hit 5 pars and a birdie and still score a 100... triple putts and four putts everywhere!!
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 5:53am
Originally posted by VTBear

haha.. funny thing for me is, I can hit 5 pars and a birdie and still score a 100... triple putts and four putts everywhere!!

Based on overall score & par/birdie count we should probably golf together haha!  Aside from the occasional 3 putt that isn't the problem spot in my game... I tend to stand up a bit in during my swing so I'll go on a hot streak of 2 or 3 hacks every couple holes where i top the shit outta the ball and it rolls down the fairway... My golf game can be described in one word... inconsistent.
MOAR powderz plz!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2012 at 7:51am
3/4 putts are unfortunately all to common for me. I can put a 60' putt within 5 feet of the hole, then for whatever reason, i'll push the next 2-3 shots a half an inch left of the hole. i can feel my form falling apart in the foreswing.. i just need to practice it more so I won't try to overcompensate.
My 5-iron used to be my favorite club to swing.. but lately i can't get that #(%*er to put a ball in the air. On the local course there's a 165-yd par 3 (white tees) and i used to use that club with a relaxed, soft swing and put it near the pin every time. Lately it's just been hitting em all fat or punching it way off into the wheat field off to the left. I've stepped back to using the 6 and had some much better results as far as trajectory, but unless the flag's at the front of the green, I'm guaranteed a long-ass putt or a chip shot. either way, a birdie's just about out of reach :(.
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 3:34am
I know golf is all about majors, but $11.44 million is a pretty decent payday.  You could win all 4 majors and you'd be nowhere near that.  Snedeker knows what's up.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 6:45am
^like he said, it's all about timing!
richardvoyageur View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:00am
My putting has been the worst part of my game this year (typically scoring between a low of 85 and a high of about 100 at worst) so I decided to try something crazy: putting reverse handed.  So as a right handed putter, my right hand is now my top hand, with no overlap.  What's crazy is it has actually worked.  My 3 putting has all but disappeared and I'm 2 putting almost everything.  

Now of course, the rest of my game has gone in the toilet for whatever reason, so I'm back at square one.

OH, and my brand new, 1.5 month old Callaway RAZR Fit driver was stolen from my car along with my work laptop, so that's a bummer.  And i was hitting some really huge drives with it too, such a shame.  The last one I hit with it before it went walking away was 295-300 straight up the fairway.  Looking on the bright side I guess Ouch
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2012 at 9:13pm
I've been playing with the same set of irons since I was 13-yesterday I finally got a new set-deciding on the TM burner 2.0's. Excited to take them out to the range on thursday
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 7:10am
Nice. Didja pick em up new or used? A buddy got the r7's prior to this season starting and he's really enjoying em. Though.. he was using various rental sets before that, so what's not to like?! lol
I'd like to invest in newer, nicer set of irons some time... but i gotta refrain from throwing the old, cheap ones first :(. Damned temper.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 11:44am
going to be playing at a nice course this weekend. once again without any practice. haven't played in a few months also.
can't wait!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 1:55pm
Yeah. My plans are to go this weekend, and i haven't played in 2-3 months myself. Still got my softball swing engrained in my head, so it should make for an interesting trip lol
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2012 at 8:41pm
J_lucky, ya i did alot of shopping around, considering both new and used but a new set of burners just felt the best-im feeling good about the decision
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 4:16am
so. I actually went to the range yesterday and most of my irons were great! but for some reason my 6 iron was off. weird.... anyways i plan to go every evening till Saturday. hopefully kick some butt.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2012 at 6:16am
Originally posted by timpiper

J_lucky, ya i did alot of shopping around, considering both new and used but a new set of burners just felt the best-im feeling good about the decision

Hope ya enjoy em :).

I forgot i've gotta babysit this Saturday, as my sis is getting surgery (and since she was the one kind enough to drive me over to portland last month for mine, it's the least i can do). I fear it MAY cut into my plans to go golfing this weekend (Sunday is already prebooked with playing football, watching football, and doing my volunteer work), but I might be able to drag my ass out of bed for an early tee time.. Now comes the problem of trying to find someone else willing to wake up that early lol.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2012 at 8:12am
Anyone watching the ryder cup? Its off to a good start-not sure why davis love paired stricker and woods together-theyre playing crappy together again just like they did two years ago at the last ryder cup
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 4:22am
I love that Bubba is pulling a Happy Gilmore off the first tee and having the crowd go nuts as he smokes his tee shot. Cool way to get the fans pumped up and have some extra fun.
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 4:39am
^ Bubba Watson seems like the kind of guy anyone can play 18 with, head back to the clubhouse for a burger and beer and just hang.  

On the other hand, Tiger seems like the kind of guy who would not play 18 with you, rather he would have you caddy for him and verbally abuse you the entire round.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

I love that Bubba is pulling a Happy Gilmore off the first tee and having the crowd go nuts as he smokes his tee shot. Cool way to get the fans pumped up and have some extra fun.

Any guy with a pink driver is cool by me lol. Oh, and of course, the fact that he's a lefty makes him even more awesome B-)
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2012 at 11:03am
Plus bubba is self taught-never had a lesson
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2012 at 9:40pm
How in the hell did the US lose the ryder cup with a 10-6 lead going into sunday? Only one word can describe their collapse and thats pathetic
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 3:39am

Plus bubba is self taught-never had a lesson
That's a little misleading.  He played golf at a high school that has produced other PGA players, ended up at the University of Georgia.  Something tells me that somewhere in there he may have had a little bit of guidance.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 4:15am
I loved that Ryder cup yesterday, the whole USA chants are very annoying to me for whatever reason so I liked seeing Europe take it.  I thought both fans were pretty classless with the cheering of the other teams bad shots.  No one should be cheering when you put one in the water.

Other than that, best golf I've seen in a long time, what a finish.  Europe also should have conceded Tiger's last putt that he missed, it meant nothing and was embarrassing.

Miracle at Medinah or Meltdown at Medinah?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 4:17am

How in the hell did the US lose the ryder cup with a 10-6 lead going into sunday? Only one word can describe their collapse and thats pathetic

Let's count the ways:

Tiger Woods missed a 3½-foot par putt on the 18th hole, and then conceded a par to Francesco Molinari of about that length to halve their match. That extra half-point made it a clear-cut win for Europe, 14½-13½.

Woods and Stricker, the anchors in the lineup, didn't win a single match at Medinah.

The biggest match might have belonged to Justin Rose. He was on the verge of losing to Phil Mickelson when Rose holed a 12-foot par putt to halve the 16th, made a 35-foot birdie putt from the back of the 17th green to win the hole, and then closed out Mickelson with a 12-foot birdie on the last hole.

Six of the 12 matches went to the 18th hole on Sunday. The Americans won only one of them.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 4:35am
Originally posted by ctoma

Let's count the ways:

Tiger Woods missed a 3½-foot par putt on the 18th hole, and then conceded a par to Francesco Molinari of about that length to halve their match. That extra half-point made it a clear-cut win for Europe, 14½-13½.

Woods and Stricker, the anchors in the lineup, didn't win a single match at Medinah.

The biggest match might have belonged to Justin Rose. He was on the verge of losing to Phil Mickelson when Rose holed a 12-foot par putt to halve the 16th, made a 35-foot birdie putt from the back of the 17th green to win the hole, and then closed out Mickelson with a 12-foot birdie on the last hole.

Six of the 12 matches went to the 18th hole on Sunday. The Americans won only one of them.

Tiger's match didn't really matter after Striker lost.  Even in a tie Europe wins.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2012 at 8:23pm
The biggest thing i learned from the ryder cup is that its not a fluke jason dufner has played so well the past year-year and a half-he'll win a major for sure with his ability to play under pressure
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/02/2012 at 9:24pm
Ive always hit a fade-since i started playing when i was young. Now, all of the sudden, outta nowhere, im hitting a pretty gnarly draw-especially on long irons and woods. Make it stop!!! At least make it more manageable
Instructor
Instructor

Quote richardvoyageur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 2:57am

Ive always hit a fade-since i started playing when i was young. Now, all of the sudden, outta nowhere, im hitting a pretty gnarly draw-especially on long irons and woods. Make it stop!!! At least make it more manageable

your swing plane has probably become a bit flatter for whatever reason.  when i want to hit a draw/hook i really make sure to stay flat and turn my hands over.  when i want to hit a fade/slice i make sure to start high and finish high
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 3:02am

You should be happy if in fact you're hitting a draw.  Good players hit draws, and bad players hit fades in general.  But from the sounds of it you're hitting a snap hook.  Slightly different story, but it's still better than a slice.
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 3:19am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

i was there on the first tee on saturday morning when poulter and bubba did it.  it was incredible - it was so freaking loud

one of the best golfing experiences of my life.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 6:41am
I'm FINALLY gonna get out and play another round (only 9 holes, as the work schedule really cuts into the daylight hours). This'll be the first time in like 4 months i've swung the sticks around. I should probably hit the driving range first, but eff it. Wouldn't tame my slice anyway lol
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 10:09am
i'm sure he got course management guidance, but i think the pt ppl have tried to make is that his swing is all his own, never had a coach...and have you seen it? it's just about as crazy as furyks...
my images won't show up dammit
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/03/2012 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by j_lucky84

I'm FINALLY gonna get out and play another round (only 9 holes, as the work schedule really cuts into the daylight hours). This'll be the first time in like 4 months i've swung the sticks around. I should probably hit the driving range first, but eff it. Wouldn't tame my slice anyway lol

Farkin lame, the buddy i was gonna go golf with this afternoon didnt get to the office til 10am this morning,so he cant bail early.. so no golf for me.
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 8:32am
should've worked from home today, and would've been able to play w/a buddy, def bummed =/
my images won't show up dammit
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2012 at 8:38am
Originally posted by grapeape2669

You should be happy if in fact you're hitting a draw.  Good players hit draws, and bad players hit fades in general.  But from the sounds of it you're hitting a snap hook.  Slightly different story, but it's still better than a slice.
Same story here.  Sliced, then faded, now stap hooks and/or pushes are my miss.  I guess they're caused by misalignment issues (no need to close the stance anymore), or by the many bandaids that my old swing had.

At the beginning of this season, I had our club pro re-grip all of my clubs with undersized grips.  It helps me release the club better, so pow! snap hooks! 

But, I'd rather have them than slices any day of the week.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 6:08am
What do you guys think of the putter issue at hand.
My stance is that while it is anchoring the club, putting is an individual stroke that as long as you arent sweeping the ball, the stroke should be allowed.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 3:03pm
I have, over night, developed the gnarliest hook on my long irons, woods, and driver
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 3:08pm
are you trying to hit it too hard? open your stance a touch, club up and hit it 80% and see what happens. I had that happen early in my college season this year. usually its just a quick phase if it happened suddenly
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2012 at 9:35pm
Ya i struggle off and on with trying to hit it too hard. I can feel my swing getting a little handsy as opposed to well balanced as well
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 3:33am
yessir, my hands got too out of sorts at the start of the college season this fall. the biggest thing I improved these last few months was hand position both at address and during contact. Its amazing what moving your hands with the club will do. haha
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2012 at 6:31am
I'm all for the ban on long wands.  When adam suck errr... scott used his at the Open Championship this year as his "one club length" club, i was outtie 5 on the whole movement.

I do get how anchoring helps remove the yips, but if you see little adam's performance down the stretch, I'm not thinking it helped him at all.  but, 3 of the last 5 major winners have used them. hmm...

Here's the thing.  i wanted a ban on the long & belly putter.  they went and banned the "anchoring of the club."  Totally different thing.  You know how you can take your hybrid and belly it and chip from the thick fringe?? banned now.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 9:57am
Gooooolf is sooooo addicting! I picked up a golf club bout 2 years ago. Spent a year finding my swing at da range. Played on da course for bout a year average twice a week. I finally broke a 100 three times now. So stroked. All thanks to my homeboy that brought me to this game n taught me everything bout golf. Have a few chip/pitch ins. And almost had two hole-in-ones. Urrrgh only if my eff up back is strong enough to golf in snowboarding season.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2012 at 9:37pm
I finally have a day off tomorrow that would allow for me to play a round of golf but its raining!!!
CassinoNorth View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CassinoNorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2012 at 3:56pm
I used to work at a golf shop and not have a girlfriend so I'd get to play upwards of 3x a week, but alas those days are gone. I only get out maybe 10-15x a year now unfortunately. But due to the golf shop, I got this at 40% off wholesale.

Taylormade R11 TP/Matrix Ozik HD7
Taylormade V-Steel 15*/Matrix Ozik XFW-7
Adams Super Hybrid 19*/Aldila SNV-8
Callaway Razr X Forged irons/Project X 6.0 Flighted
Scratch 8620.SS 53°
Scratch 8620.SS 59°
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2013 at 8:45am
Its my birthday today, so I woke up and ordered myself Mizuno MP 68's. happy birhtday to me. Driver and wedges are next to be replaced
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 20>