Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1617181920 21>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Golf Thread
    Posted: Feb/25/2013 at 12:53pm
nice~ My dad offered to buy me some new clubs, but I couldn't justify it. I don't play enough.
(dad lost my 5 iron when he was borrowing it.)
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2013 at 7:08pm
Ha, well I play 5 or 6 days a week and am going to be a PGA Teaching Professional hopefully after golf school. So new clubs are kind of a must
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 6:12am
Going to Vegas next month, and looking to golf.  I have golfed a few times and I usually choose my course because of cost, as I don't want to pay over $80 for a round, which I realize is limiting.

I have done spanish trail (awesome) and Desert Rose (terrible).  staying on this strip, so the closer to that is better.  I've seen lots of deals in summerlin which is kind of a costly cab ride, but better than what it would cost to play at Bali Hai or the Wynn.  

Any thoughts on the closest, best golf for the money?  I've looked up course rankings at golf now, and it seem like everything is a 3 to 3.5 star, so it is hard to decipher.
A.Tup View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote A.Tup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:51am
So excited to get back on the links when the weather gets better. Purchased some new Cobra S3 irons late in the season and fell in love with them. Also sister is learning how to golf so i get to teach her
Michigan Tech Paintball #12
DiRtDeViL View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DiRtDeViL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2013 at 11:55am
Can't wait to hit the greens but at the same time would like to have an extended snowboarding season.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 7:33am
Originally posted by A.Tup

So excited to get back on the links when the weather gets better. Purchased some new Cobra S3 irons late in the season and fell in love with them. Also sister is learning how to golf so i get to teach her

That is where we differ.  I HATE trying teach the basics of golf.  It goes so slow (and I am expected to be an expert because I golf well, but don't know everything about golf, so I am likely teaching wrong).
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 7:58am
I'm starting to get ready for the season as well.  I rattled my brain last week on the hill... so it looks like it's time to have a hobby that involves fewer cobwebs.

I'm thinking it's time to take my sticks into a club fitter to make sure the lie and lofts are still correct.

I want some new clubs... but tax season really took a bite out of my play money.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/28/2013 at 9:05am
My buddy called me up Tuesday and asked if i wanted to participate in his company-sponsored team for a scramble in May. I appreciate the months of advance notice! lol Kinda wish it was April.. By May I'll be well back into my softball swing lol. Time to hit the range!
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 4:46pm
Tiger only 6 wins back of Sam Snead's 82. He's looking like the old Tiger and just in time for the Masters. Could very well take that #1 rank again.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2013 at 9:33pm
aerated greens + tough pin locations = @*@()&$*(#@)*@_#(_(

Glad to see the fire in Tigers' eyes. Hope old Tiger is back to stay. When he's on, I swear is allergic to bogeys and/or three putts.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2013 at 9:49am
Originally posted by 2zz

aerated greens + tough pin locations = @*@()&$*(#@)*@_#(_(

Glad to see the fire in Tigers' eyes. Hope old Tiger is back to stay. When he's on, I swear is allergic to bogeys and/or three putts.

Ugh! Aerated greens are a pain in the arse! I've been putting worth beans my last few outings anyway. Throw sand on top of the turf and all goes to hell. I think my gf likes it though, as she tends to hit too hard and it does a nice job of killin her ball where it needs to be stopped lol.
This is a buddy of mine's last week in town, as our company is deploying him (only 3 hours away, but still). I brought up the idea of maybe hittin the links this week. He didnt sound too amused but I'll try to talk him into it. We've had some gorgeous weather the past few days and it'd be nice to get out and enjoy daylight savings time.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2013 at 11:03am
supposed to have a cobra demo here in town today and i guess they cancelled. thats cool...
A.Tup View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote A.Tup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2013 at 2:06pm
Dang that sucks. I love my cobra stuff, still deciding if I get some new woods or a wedge for the bag this year
Michigan Tech Paintball #12
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2013 at 9:36am

I really wish I have Golf Channel.

Must be the shoes.
ijustchillin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote ijustchillin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2013 at 7:52am
I hit up the par 3 near my house the other day....I need more practice. Lots of it.
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2013 at 1:43am
really happy for tiger being number 1 again
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/10/2013 at 10:33am
Masters starts tmw. I think the top 3 to challenge Tiger is Westwood, Furyk and Brednt Snedeker (even though he usually falls short). Can't see McIlroy contending based on how he's played so far this season. But the green jacket is Tiger's to lose. Let the fist pumping begin!

Also gonna be interesting to see Guan Tianlang, the 14 year old from China, play with 61 year old Crenshaw.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 8:10am
I would take the field against Tiger, but I have anyone else that I think will definitely be in the hunt.  I am going to Buffalo Wild Wings during lunch. 

...the things I do watch sports.
xxbeachbum0804xx View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xxbeachbum0804xx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 11:07am
its still a little early but First Australian to win the masters?
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2013 at 11:25am
Nice segment on the new kid Tianlang Guan.

Woods sitting around 10th right now. I'm sure he'll turn things up these next couple days.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 6:35am
Originally posted by xxbeachbum0804xx

its still a little early but First Australian to win the masters?
oh just a tad. Hard to bet on a guy where his best finish at the Masters was a missed cut.

Not a good start for Sergio in Rd 2 with two bogeys.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 7:19am
Tiger missed a few opportunities yesterday, but I'm feeling good about him today.  a little rain this afternoon could really boost his shotmaking.  Just no mistakes, and he'll put himself in a good spot for the weekend.

In other golf related news, i pulled the trigger on a 4 and a 5 hybrid last night.  Taylormade R11 Rescue.  They were super cheap, and if you bought 1 you got the other at 25% off, so what the heck.  Just need to re-grip them when they get here (i play an undersize grip) and adjust them (flight control FTW), and hopefully start getting scoring ability out of my long irons.  i'll be moving into the white club head crowd with these two.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 8:01am
Originally posted by Von44

Nice segment on the new kid Tianlang Guan.

Woods sitting around 10th right now. I'm sure he'll turn things up these next couple days.

Is that kid not just insane?! It seems strange to me that a tournament titled "the Masters" features a 14 year old player! All the same, best of luck to the kid and hope to see him have a long, successful career in the PGA :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2013 at 8:17am
Kids got a pure swing. If he can handle it mentally im sure he will do fine on the tour. In other news, I have some snowboarding gear ill be unloading next week if anyone has any golf stuff theyd like to trade. PM me for details
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 11:27am
That whole sequence where Woods got penalized was just bizarre... ball hits the flag, then goes into the water, followed by an illegal drop?  Just weird.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2013 at 5:53pm
Yeah I was a bit confused from the whole thing. Apparently he dropped it in the wrong spot or just outside the designate drop circle and ended up getting penalized. But he dropped it 2ft behind instead of in front. Bizarre nonetheless.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 7:15pm
Congrats to Adam Scott on winning the masters. Well deserved as the first Aussie to win.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2013 at 7:24pm
well deserved win indeed. heartbreaking last year at the us open. Never liked Webb, so im glad Scott could pull this one out. Wait 5 days and we will begin the talk of the putters again. puke.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 5:41am
No joke! Congrats! The pic ESPN posted with him clenching his fists in victory in the rain seemed very befitting. I quite liked it!

TONS of comments on that photo claiming the long putter is a "cheater's stick", but I don't see the problem with it. If a player is more comfortable with it, let it be! I've never used one, but I don't figure I would like it much.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 5:47am
It would only be cheating if they allowed Scott to use it and no other golfers.  Every golfer has access to a belly putter, whether they use it or not is each individual's decision.  Buncha bullshit saying Scott cheated by using this putter.

Also, big props to Cabrera for his sportsmanship (giving Scott the thumbs up during the playoff) and for this:

Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2013 at 9:11am
i dont want to get into the R&A debate about the putters, im just saying. later this week they will be talking about the crazy percentage of the last few majors were with long putters. Els at the British. Simpson at the US, now Scott at the Masters. Give it a few days, too bad for Scott but people will call him a cheater after this win based on PROPOSED rule change. My bottom line on the putters: It's not a rule yet, nobody is cheating.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 8:02am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

No joke! Congrats! The pic ESPN posted with him clenching his fists in victory in the rain seemed very befitting. I quite liked it!

TONS of comments on that photo claiming the long putter is a "cheater's stick", but I don't see the problem with it. If a player is more comfortable with it, let it be! I've never used one, but I don't figure I would like it much.
I agree. I've used a long putter before and it not only feels awkward but feels like it's a disadvantage at times. But I don't see why it should be a problem if its just a preference thing. Just bs to rain on a guys victory.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 11:08am
I'm completely against the long wand.
1- the "one club length" rule--> adam bleeping scott has used his 26 foot long putter to address his drop area. 
2- tour pros are not joes... therefore, anchoring does give them an advantage.  Faldo and others were talking about this weekend how they figured a long wand was going to win the Masters, because of their performance on fast greens: it's much easier to heel the club to control downhill putts with a long putter.

(not sure why they don't all do it, if it is "that" much of an advantage)
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 11:33am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

I don't think it is that much of an advantage.. other than the 1 club rule length.. ain't no thangggg.  If it really was you would see more guys using them.
MOAR powderz plz!
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by MTpow

I don't think it is that much of an advantage.. other than the 1 club rule length.. ain't no thangggg.  If it really was you would see more guys using them.

This. Plain and simple. Many have tried it, many have failed with it.

As for drops a guy with a long putter might pick up an extra 6" of distance. Remember that you can use your driver (45-46") AND keep the headcover on as well to mark your drop.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2013 at 8:16pm
That kid Tianlang Guan is freaking awesome. He's probably a prodigy of China, China made him as a golfer for their country. He putts lights out.
Is B.S. that he got penalize for delay of play. Effing hater Marshall.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 6:08am
Originally posted by MTpow

Which brings me to my next observation/rant... it is time to separate the rules for pros and joes.  As cool as it is to say "I play the exact same ball as my favorite pro,"  he (or she, let's be fair) can compress and manipulate that ball in ways we "handicap guys and gals" can only dream of.  Same thing with clubs.  Taking away amatures box grooves was plain stupid.  Harder for us, yet the pros still bomb and gouge away (like it's no thang! ;).  I'd also make an argument for the "trampoline effect" of the club face.  My mid-slow driver swing probably can't even make a club do that anyway, so why limit it for me? 

If one of my playing buddies broke out the broomstick, i'd make fun of him... a lot.  but i don't think i would say he shouldn't have it.  pros are a different story for me. 
bwayne413 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote bwayne413 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 4:23pm
how did i miss that sergio tree shot??! thats awesome
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2013 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by bwayne413

how did i miss that sergio tree shot??! thats awesome
That was one of the craziest shots I've ever seen. Idk how the ball stayed up there in the first place.

Originally posted by 2zz

That kid Tianlang Guan is freaking awesome. He's probably a prodigy of China, China made him as a golfer for their country. He putts lights out. 
Is B.S. that he got penalize for delay of play. Effing hater Marshall.
Now the youngest person to play in the Masters. I think it's safe to say that won't be broken for a while. But the kid is amazing! Looked poised throughout til he got penalized.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2013 at 4:22pm
Loving my new full time pro shop job at the local country club. First full day of work today and the pro gave me a Mizuno staff bag because he saw my Mizuno blades. Great pay, crazy benefits.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 4:45am
Originally posted by BoxStomper

Loving my new full time pro shop job at the local country club. First full day of work today and the pro gave me a Mizuno staff bag because he saw my Mizuno blades. Great pay, crazy benefits.

Not bad :)

I'll have my first outing of the Spring this afternoon. Some friends and coworkers and I are gonna go out and play 9 after work. Haven't hit the range yet, so it'll be a mess, haha. Was gonna go yesterday with a friend, but he went at 2 and I couldn't justify taking off from work quite that early.
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2013 at 8:46am

I'll have my first outing of the Spring this afternoon. Some friends and coworkers and I are gonna go out and play 9 after work. Haven't hit the range yet, so it'll be a mess, haha. Was gonna go yesterday with a friend, but he went at 2 and I couldn't justify taking off from work quite that early.

What course are you doing?  I am figuring they are drying up with the weather this past week, but I hate spring golf in Oregon, the courses are usually plugged or all mud.
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2013 at 1:41am
Went to the range yesterday and somehow developed a hook. Last year it was all fading shots and couldn't draw for my life. Now my swing has made a complete 180 on me. Wtf

Tempted to get back out today and try again. Maybe it was a fluke thing but either way it has to be corrected.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 6:31am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

What course are you doing?  I am figuring they are drying up with the weather this past week, but I hate spring golf in Oregon, the courses are usually plugged or all mud.

Not sure what plugged means, but I live in East Oregon which for the most part remains rather dry. The course is actually quite nice (especially considering the price... and that I get a discount for being employed by the tribe that operates it).
Ended up calling to try to schedule a tee time, but they had a high school event going on so the range was the only option. Not a bad option, as i got to dick around with my form and I seemed to mostly alleviate my slicing issue. It wasn't 100%, and it did come with the penalty of losing some distance, but I'll take a 10 yard loss for a ball on the fairway over a monster hit that I lose in the trees any day. lol
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:34pm
Stayed after work today and regripped my irons and wedges. All white grips are looking good! Course opens at 8 am. Me and the assistant and some buddies are going to be the first group on the course for the season.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:56pm
^ I had some Golf Pride Tour Velvet white grips on my clubs a few years ago, they didn't stay white for long but they sure felt good.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2013 at 4:58pm
I dont care how long they stay white, I dont really pay for grips so if they only lasts a little bit thats fine with me!
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 4:06am
I re gripped also. for the first time, myself. it was a fiasco at first, but after a few it was getting ok. Don't recommend it for people that have less than 10 clubs to regrip. I had about 21 so I was saving money in the long run.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 4:49am
Like many things regripping golf clubs gets easier the more you do it.  I have become the golf club regripper for my group of friends, usually get paid with beer.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 3:18pm
Played my first full round today. Winter stayed late this year in Wisconsin. Love my new Country Club, perks of working here are great and the course is awesome! Such a great day and didnt play horribly for the first day either!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 21>