Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1314151617 20>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Online Status: Offline
  Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Golf Thread
    Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 8:30am
Originally posted by MTpow

went out friday afternoon for 9 and ended up playing 12 since we had more daylight... shot really well actually.  Slowed my swing down off the tee box and was consistently in the fairway or right along the edge.. dropped some solid puts and chipped well.  Things are looking up!  Now hopefully my golf swing doesn't HOSE my softball swing tonight.. 

Haha, Pow. I hear ya there! I'm supposed to have a double-header men's league game tonight (gotta do a make up from last week as they scheduled games for the holiday). But we're supposed to have thunder storms starting at 3, and rain continuing through tomorrow. Guess we'll need a triple header later on lol.
I'm kinda happy i dont have to play today though. Got a new composite bat I'm eager to use but the temps today wouldn't be condusive for that anyhow!
Good luck in your games though. You doin mens and/or coed?
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 11:06am
mens.. no co-ed for me.  what bat did you get??  We requested double headers on Mondays a few years back and the commish for the league has been accommodating ever since.  Sometimes we have trouble getting our guys to put down their fly rods and pull the boats off the rivers to show up.. 1 night a week is do-able but 2 would be rough for most on our team. 
MOAR powderz plz!
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 11:52am
I finally picked up golf a couple of months ago. I'm so addicted to it now. I've only played two full rounds so far, but I can tell it's going to become a large part of my life. No idea why I didn't get into this game earlier in life.
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 12:11pm
Played a round at Balai Hai in Vegas on Saturday, and it was BRUTAL. 104 degrees at our tee time of 3pm, and it only got hotter as the day went.  Drank a 20oz gatorade and refilled that with water 8 times, and was still parched at the end of the day.  So. Incredibly. Hot.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by getkong

Played a round at Balai Hai in Vegas on Saturday, and it was BRUTAL. 104 degrees at our tee time of 3pm, and it only got hotter as the day went.  Drank a 20oz gatorade and refilled that with water 8 times, and was still parched at the end of the day.  So. Incredibly. Hot.

How did you like Bali Hai?  Was it worth it?  I never see a tee time there for under $100.  I usually play spanish trail, when I am down there, but I get nervous about hitting the 10 million dollar houses.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 2:57pm

mens.. no co-ed for me.  what bat did you get??  We requested double headers on Mondays a few years back and the commish for the league has been accommodating ever since.  Sometimes we have trouble getting our guys to put down their fly rods and pull the boats off the rivers to show up.. 1 night a week is do-able but 2 would be rough for most on our team. 

I got last year's Combat Scott Brown 98 (we're an ASA league), 34/28 with the end load. I got it on cheapbats.com for $115 shipped. It was right around 200 last year which rang a bit high for me since it has no warranty. Still has no warranty but with half the investment, I will only be half as mad if this one breaks lol. I haven't hit anything with it yet but the thing feels frickin solid :D .

I do coed and mens league and it's freakin taxing on my schedule. haven't been to the gym in 3 weeks with practices, games and everything else goin on. Men's league has been 1 day/week as long as i've played, but it used to vary between monday and thursday games. Now its always mondays (much easier to accommodate). coed varies between tues/weds but atleast theyre close and i have my weekends free :D lol
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 4:01pm
after shoveling dirt for 8 hours this morning at the course I work at, it was so nice out I had to play at least 9, so I played the back 9, which at my course has 3 par 5's so its a par 37. I shot a -1 from the Pro tees, after shoveling for 8 hours. needless to say I was playing darn good
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2012 at 8:14pm
i'm itching to play a round this week-weather is supposed to be kinda windy in socal most of the week though-we're spoiled here
grapeape2669 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote grapeape2669 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 2:43am
Originally posted by timpiper

i'm itching to play a round this week-weather is supposed to be kinda windy in socal most of the week though-we're spoiled here
You are spoiled there.  We got like 3" of rain over the weekend and I still plan on getting out and playing in the mud this afternoon.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 5:40am
woot going to play Saturday
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 6:28am
Originally posted by BoxStomper

after shoveling dirt for 8 hours this morning at the course I work at, it was so nice out I had to play at least 9, so I played the back 9, which at my course has 3 par 5's so its a par 37. I shot a -1 from the Pro tees, after shoveling for 8 hours. needless to say I was playing darn good

Well done! That's a really long back 9! does the front just have the majority of par 3's then?
I'm hoping to get out at some point during the workweek and play 9 as well, but this weather is downright miserable! its june, dammit! bring out the sun!
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

How did you like Bali Hai?  Was it worth it?  I never see a tee time there for under $100.  I usually play spanish trail, when I am down there, but I get nervous about hitting the 10 million dollar houses.

I don't think I'll ever play there again, mostly because of the heat. It's also laid out with a lot of sand traps and water, and with no little pictures of how each hole is laid out, it was kind of a guessing game of what is behind the green (most of the time, it's water).  Our tee time was $100, plus $50 for rental clubs.

Being in the SF bay area, i only play in ideal conditions :)
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2012 at 9:07pm
I went to golfsmith 'extreme' today on my lunch hour to hit balls indoor with the demo clubs and it was sad to see all the other guys dreaming of being outside golfing but who only were merely escaping for an hr
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 11:23am
Anyone have experience with a Callaway FT-9 Tour driver (2009 I believe)? I can get my hands on one for a really good price (I think it's a good deal anyways). Just trying to get opinions to see if I should pull the trigger on it or not. Unfortunately I will not have the opportunity to try it out before I buy, but I figure it has to be better than what I'm swinging right now (an old Ram 400cc driver).
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2012 at 1:08pm
While I don't have experience with it, trade-in values for the ft-9 on the PGA - ValueGuide site price the club at resaling around $25.
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 6:32am
Originally posted by j_lucky84

While I don't have experience with it, trade-in values for the ft-9 on the PGA - ValueGuide site price the club at resaling around $25.

Well I went ahead and bought it. It's the FT-9 Tour rather than the regular FT-9 (not sure the difference is these 2). The $25 on that site is the trade-in value, has resale listed at around $45. I paid $70 for a brand new/never used one.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 6:57am
Originally posted by KidFlippy

Well I went ahead and bought it. It's the FT-9 Tour rather than the regular FT-9 (not sure the difference is these 2). The $25 on that site is the trade-in value, has resale listed at around $45. I paid $70 for a brand new/never used one.

tour means that the face is slightly open.. so if you are a right handed golfer and find yourself constantly slicing the ball to the right.. u probably didn't want to get the tour head
MOAR powderz plz!
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 8:54am
heh, i still use the Ram clubs I bought when I first moved to CA.  I think they were $150 for the whole set, including the bag.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 9:13am

$70 for a brand new one is a pretty solid deal. Where'd ya get it from? i find rockbottomgolf has some stellar deals on occasion. :)
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 10:26am
Played in a work-sponsored 9-hole scramble (yeah, only 9 holes... dammit, it takes me 9 holes to get loosened up), finished -7 even with the drinking and Jell-o shots.  I played fairly well considering it was my first time out this season.  As expected my best drive (and the only one used by my team) was on the last hole, I crushed it.  Had a couple of good birdie putts, too, so I feel better good about the weakest part of my game, my putting.  My long irons sucked, my short irons were okay.

Now I just need to get out on a regular basis.

9 hole scrambles suck.  I was so ready to take the turn and continue on to play 18.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 12:30pm
went -2 from the pro tees today. Dang. im playing well
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by ctoma

9 hole scrambles suck.  I was so ready to take the turn and continue on to play 18.

That does sound kinda pointless! Especially with a group of other people when you're always getting good lies! be done in like an hour!
I'm a bit bummed cuz usually the company i work for sponsors a couple teams, but they didn't this year. and the one i tried to enter got cancelled due to a family tragedy. I'll stay on the lookout for other ones tho.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 12:57pm
Boxstomper- do you play just for fun? or were you at one point on a school team? how oh how do you get that good?
I guess you can't be a weekend warrior. Also probably not married with children?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2012 at 1:05pm
Im 18, and I just graduated. I played JV my junior year at my high school. shooting in the mid-high 80's. Spent all last summer working hard to get better. This year comes around, didnt try out for the High school team due to a broken bone in my foot. I work at the course, and play everyday after work now. Just alot of hard work, lots of hours spent on the practice green, and having a buddy watch and correct my swing. I will play in the fall at school and cant wait to play competitively again.
KidFlippy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote KidFlippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 4:46am

$70 for a brand new one is a pretty solid deal. Where'd ya get it from? i find rockbottomgolf has some stellar deals on occasion. :)

I got it from budgetgolf.com. It looks like they have gotten in a lot more since I bought mine as they now have several more options. Had the chance to take it out and give it a try yesterday. Felt great and my drives were long and straight. It was easily the most consistent I have been with my driver since I started playing. I would say it's because I'm getting more comfortable, but the rest of my game wasn't very good yesterday so I feel like I have to give some credit to the driver. I think my game is about to start getting a whole lot better though. One of my friends was on The Big Break Europe several years ago and he agreed to work with me on my swing. Looking forward to seeing the results.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 7:55am
Nice to hear, Kid. :) Sounds like that new driver is giving you a bit of confidence, and sometimes that's all it takes. And definitely give credit where it's due! I love when ya grab a golf club or softball bat or some piece of equipment and it just feels good. I bought a new softball bat last week and yesterday was the first day i got to take it out. I'm gonna love eatin up right field with this thing :D
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2012 at 4:59pm
Some really cool, cant miss groupings at the us open this week-headlined by the tiger, phil, bubba group-i cant wait
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2012 at 9:07pm
Bubba had a great interview about being grouped with phil and tiger-he's funny and seems really humble-you gotta love that guy
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 6:50am
Dang it was ~92 degrees on Saturday here in Northern Virginia area. I played at 12 noon. Freakin heat stroke. ugh... hydrate everyone!!!!
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 9:12pm
Was supposed to play tomorrow morning at this really nice course in OC with my pops for fathers day but he cancelled on me-im kinda pissed
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 8:16am
gf evidently played golf in high school, and is looking to get back into it! might start her off on my old cheapo clubs so i can get a real set fitted. being 6'3" and using standard clubs has me huddled over like an old man with the wedges.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 8:31am
Sucks ya got blown off, Tim! Any chance of a rescheduled tee time?

Kong, while i won't argue against getting some fitted clubs, your club shaft lengths are more based upon your wrist to ground measurement rather than your height. A 6'3 person with a 65" wingspan will invariably need longer clubs than a 6'3 person with a 70" wingspan. Good luck with your fitting either way :).
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2012 at 9:06pm
Jlucky,, ya i think we'll probably reschedule-i was just bummed because i usually play courses in the 40-60$ green fee range and we were gonna splurge and go for a really beautiful course. Not sure if we'll play at the same course. On a better note... Stoked that the us open starts tomorrow
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 5:36am
playing 18 this weekend up at the lake.. and I'm stealing my parents cart.. usually end up drinking way too much while playing this course so we'll try to make sure the wheels don't fall off the bus this time.
MOAR powderz plz!
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 8:33am
buddy recommended the Taylormade Burner clubs?  Supposed to be a bit longer, and good clubs at the price point.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 9:51am

playing 18 this weekend up at the lake.. and I'm stealing my parents cart.. usually end up drinking way too much while playing this course so we'll try to make sure the wheels don't fall off the bus this time.

Cool, man! And since it ain't your cart, feel free to make the wheels fall off ;) lol

I just learned a course about an hour away (never played it before) offers people a free weekday round with a cart (or weekend, if ya bring 3 paying parties), within a week of your bday.. I already printed out certificiates for my gf and myself. Gotta luff free stuff!
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 10:21am
My friend just bought 1252 golf balls. (he counted)
I don't play too often but it sure is fun going to the nice field and hit some of those balls really far.
Excited to go play on a real course again.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2012 at 6:18pm
Bubba and phil had a really tough day-bubba i think making the age old mistake of taking too much time off after winning the first major contributed to his poor day while phil just looks really off
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 7:19am
Originally posted by humblerooster

My friend just bought 1252 golf balls. (he counted)

LOL that's a lot of frickin golf balls. How much did that cost him?
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2012 at 8:01am
Olympic is supposed to be one of the toughest courses in the US.  Not that surprised everyone is struggling.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2012 at 6:20pm
Did you guys see this? lol

getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 8:44am
that guy was epic.  so stoic with his birdcall.
Redheaderr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Big Sky, Montana

Quote Redheaderr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 9:40am
LOL at the birdcall guy.  That's classic.  I hope they didn't really take him to jail for that, seems a little overdramatic to me.
chillwill View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote chillwill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2012 at 11:32am
I hope they didnt take him to jail. That was hillarious. Maybe he will just be banned from attending future events.

The best part was when the guy yanked him out from in front of the camera. lol LOL
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 8:16am
yeah jail time seems a bit much for something like that. Prolly just got banned from the course. You'd think a guy wearing a hat like that, that it would be a dead giveaway for security to keep a close eye on him. Still hilarious tho!
getkong View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote getkong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 8:41am
they may have thrown him in the drunk tank for a bit.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 4:57pm
LOL awesome! I had to wait 2 days to see it cuz i didnt log on last night n youtube is banned at work.. but worth the wait! I love that the golfer is the ONLY one amused by the antics lol
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/19/2012 at 9:33pm
I was hoping graeme mcdowell would win his second us open, although simpson seems like a decent guy
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2012 at 2:53am
I just bought some spikeless golf shoes. They are great for a firm course and much more comfortable to where. No need to change shoes getting to the course and on the way home. Probably not the best traction on a wet day.
timpiper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote timpiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2012 at 6:45pm
I heard today webb simpson, winner of the us open is skipping the british open because of the chance his wife has their baby-kinda dissapointing in one sense that he cant play but i guess its all about priorities
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 20>