Official Golf Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 1718192021>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fat_theo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fat_theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Golf Thread
    Posted: Apr/30/2013 at 3:37pm
Very disappointed. The last round I played the head of my 2 iron snapped clean off the shaft.
They are supposed to be graphite shafts and I would have used them less than 30 times, and I didn't even duff the shot!
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local
1st Trip of Winter 2012; Anthony Lakes

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 8:46am
I'm getting my first round.... well, half a round... of the season today, too :) . Taking off work at 4 with 3 buddies of mine and gonna play a (hopefully) quick 9 before the sun is too blinding on the horizon. Hoping some of the swing adjustments I made at the range will continue to show success.
steezemisterr View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 11:07am
Looking to get out on the course this weekend. I work at a golf course and get to play there for free every day so I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of that this summer.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 5:33pm
Then why wait for the weekend? lol

My round went good today. My slice reared its ugly head a couple times, but seemed a lot more under control than last year. Had some nice iron shots. Midrange chip shots were pretty much a mess, and putting was god awful (how the (@#$* do you miss like 70% of 2-footers, grr!). But for a first time out, my expectations were reasonably low, and I feel i did alright :)
fat_theo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fat_theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 2:24am
My estate has a course in it. How many times have I played there in the 5 years I have lived there? Twice because it is members only. $10K to become a member.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 7:07am
Originally posted by fat_theo

My estate has a course in it. How many times have I played there in the 5 years I have lived there? Twice because it is members only. $10K to become a member.

That is a nightmare.  No reason to pay up front, just to continue to pay high green fees.  But maybe I saw that because I shoot in the 90s and course quality doesn't really effect how much fun I have.
j_lucky84 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote j_lucky84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2013 at 7:56am
Some of my friends tend to be snobbish about what courses they're willing to go to. We have a number of courses around, and they top out (the country club) at about $60 for 18, which respective to the price of others in the area, kinda sucks. I got a gift certificate to a 9 hole (they have two sets of tee boxes to make it "18") course 20 miles away for my bday last year, and was not able to use all of it cuz i could never find anyone who wanted to go with me, despite offering to pay their way with the certificate. The course is easy, has a couple really cool holes, but is by no stretch of the imagination in the greatest shape. But who the hell turns down a free round?!
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 4:37am
Hitting the links later for the first time this season. It's gonna be a pretty ugly round for sure.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 4:53pm
Shot an 86 today, 3rd time out this season.  Would have scored better but my brain (or lack of) thought my driver was working today, hit a few drives OB.  My putter was working well and saved my ass a few times.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2013 at 5:45pm
Shot a 75 today from the tips. Most of my game has wintered well, my irons are still a bit off but my wedge game and length off the tee helped me today
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 3:16am
^ Remind me not to play against you for money.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 8:23am
no problem man! haha. Shot 75 again this morning. Man my irons suck! going to be getting new ones soon. Wedges and woods are lasers right now. cant miss a putt my irons are so bad I should have shot an 85
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 8:59am
Holy crap.  I should know not to play against you just because you've golfed 36 holes in the past 48 hours.  Way to go!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 9:15am
While in Western Nebraska this weekend on a little VaCa, I got to go play Chimney Rock.  It's this uber-fun little 9 hole course outside of Scottsbluf.  Anyone close, I'd reccomend it. 

Every hole has some sort of eye-trickery and optical illusion.  The greens are wonkey, and they look small from the fairways but they are quite large in reality.  A few risk reward holes added to the fun as well.  I can't recal how much it was, but 18 holes (2 9s) with 1/2 cart was around $30 bucks.  My cousin and I were 2 of 6 total people on the course for the 1st 9 on a Saturday morning. 

They were still in winter-protect mode, so the greens were really shaggy and SOOOO slow.  I putted with a 5 iron from 55 feet and still left it 10 feet short.

The longest club I used was my 3 Hybrid (I can't hit a wood to save my life all the sudden), and I shot a 98, despite finding some water, three putting at least 8 or 9 greens, getting a mad crazy case of the pushies, and being totally thrown off from the design. 

2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Local
Local

Quote steezemisterr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 11:35am
Shot 102 yesterday. The sad thing is that's not much worse than my usual.
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 11:53am
Got out and played last night... absolutely beautiful evening.. had some beers and enjoyed the weather.. had enough nice shots that I'll go back and play again... that's really my only goal when it comes to golf... that and having fun.
MOAR powderz plz!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2013 at 5:37pm
Living the life this year. Played 18 this morning. Worked 8 hours and played 9 more after work. Gotta love it. Making great money and INSANE benefits for me. Gotta love being the head Pro Shop worker at a country club!
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 9:04am
Tiger for another W already!  He's getting set up for Merion for sure!!

What are your takes on the sergio being sergio (aka whiney mcnonuts)? 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 9:19am
^ Sergio needs to shut up and let his clubs do the talking.  His comments made him look like a whiny beeeyotch - coupled with his late round implosion he looks weak mentally.  Golfers cannot afford to have a fragile mental state.

As in every sport I hate when an athlete whines or places the blame on someone or something other than himself/herself.

I need to get out this week, I was out of town last week and haven't played in over a week.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2013 at 11:15am
Whining should have ended when that 2 ball on 17 got wet.  That is when you just finish up your round and get mentally ready for the next week.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 1:13pm
So excited. Just ordered my full bag of Callaway stuff. I am now a VIP Callaway Staff Member.
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2013 at 3:05pm
Whining with athletes totally depends on the situation. Sometimes there is other circumstances that affect the player tha is not there fault, or most of the time it's just an athlete being a baby. I don't know about Sergio's situation but it sounds like he cries like Chris Paul & Paul pierce
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 7:17am
Has anybody used these Polara anti-slice golf balls?  http://www.polaragolf.com/technology

I know giving in and not working on my slice is not the answer.  However, I had a friend taunt me and say he could beat me even if I did use these, so I am considering it.  I am guessing that someone out there must have tried them and know if they work at all.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 9:17am
Originally posted by LeerroooyJenkins

Has anybody used these Polara anti-slice golf balls?  http://www.polaragolf.com/technology

I know giving in and not working on my slice is not the answer.  However, I had a friend taunt me and say he could beat me even if I did use these, so I am considering it.  I am guessing that someone out there must have tried them and know if they work at all.

That's a unique way of looking at the slice/hook issue.  If they gyroscope issue works, they could be on to something.  i don't know how it would work less than the traditional mantle approach.  the gear effect creating sidespin has a lot to do with hooks and slices.

i wonder though, if you hit on the fairway with the arrow pointing exactly to the side (90* from your target), wouldn't the shot just take a crazy nose dive, reminicent of lots of top spin from a thin shot?

I wonder if it would be worth the $20 to pick up a few sleeves and give them a hit.
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2013 at 5:37pm
Got my tix to the U.S. Open for next week.  First golf tournament I have ever attended.  Excited to see how good these guys are.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2013 at 11:11am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

That's a unique way of looking at the slice/hook issue.  If they gyroscope issue works, they could be on to something.  i don't know how it would work less than the traditional mantle approach.  the gear effect creating sidespin has a lot to do with hooks and slices.

i wonder though, if you hit on the fairway with the arrow pointing exactly to the side (90* from your target), wouldn't the shot just take a crazy nose dive, reminicent of lots of top spin from a thin shot?

I wonder if it would be worth the $20 to pick up a few sleeves and give them a hit.

The instructions suggest that if you hit it at any other angle than with the arrow aligned, it flies (and putts) like a normal golf ball.  One of these claims has to be false, right?

We'll see.  I'll report back.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2013 at 12:54pm

The instructions suggest that if you hit it at any other angle than with the arrow aligned, it flies (and putts) like a normal golf ball.  One of these claims has to be false, right?

Please do!! I kind of want to try these myself.  It may give me a driver again! Cry
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2013 at 5:24am
I think Callaway Hex Black Tour golf balls work just fine for me. Not sure why anyone would you use such a weird golf ball. Just release your hands and stop slicing, ya know?
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 11:50am
took Friday off to play golf with my mom. Rained like crazy.......
it's going to take awhile to play a round.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 12:19pm

Please do!! I kind of want to try these myself.  It may give me a driver again! Cry

I did order these, and they arrived, but then I popped by shoulder out of socket playing baseball, so it might be 4 weeks or so before I try them.  If anybody is looking to get some, they are "on sale" at livingsocial.com.  Oh and to note if you buy them through here, you buy a 12-pack for $15, but then you have to pay for shipping on Polara's website, which I think was $6 or $7.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by MTpow

Got out and played last night... absolutely beautiful evening.. had some beers and enjoyed the weather.. had enough nice shots that I'll go back and play again... that's really my only goal when it comes to golf... that and having fun.

I am not sure which is harder...the hitting a few good shots or the having fun part.

Played for the first time in about a year at Malibu Golf Club...man I always knew golf was hard but you really have no idea until you do not play for awhile.  I can still hit it very well off the tee but my short game is hideous.  The course doesn't help as the greens punish you but still...hit the ball off the tee well enough to break 80 for sure and probably shot 100 :)
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 5:34pm
I just played in a charity tournament this past weekend and every player got free gloves, 12 golf balls, and a card that said if we test drove a Buick, then we'd get free $200 Maui Jim sunglasses. It was very nice
Geez View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Geez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 6:38pm
A lot of concern around here about whether Merion will be playable for the U.S. Open.  It HAS been raining a ton over the past few days with more in the forecast through Friday.  Apparently, the 11th hole looks like an island green with all the flooding.  Afraid my first go at a major tournament will be a very soggy one indeed.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by BoxStomper

I think Callaway Hex Black Tour golf balls work just fine for me. Not sure why anyone would you use such a weird golf ball. Just release your hands and stop slicing, ya know?

By your "just release your hands" theory they would start hitting pull/pull-hooks. Most golfers slicing issues comes from their path being outside-to-in as a result from an over-the-top move at transition at the top and an open clubface relative to the target line.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 3:41am
^ I agree with Scorer.  The question now becomes how do you teach someone to swing inside-to-out?  And square up the club face at contact?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 4:07am
A good reputable instructor can help you with that but don't expect a miracle after 1 or 2 lessons, bad habits take years to form and even longer to fix. 
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 4:08am
My brother's friend was sponsoring a golf event and gave me 3 boxes of ProV1s (I wish I could sell them) some Oakley sunglasses, 3 titlest gloves, some weird all in one divot repair contraption and a few bottles of vodka.

nice~
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Scorer099

Originally posted by BoxStomper

By your "just release your hands" theory they would start hitting pull/pull-hooks. Most golfers slicing issues comes from their path being outside-to-in as a result from an over-the-top move at transition at the top and an open clubface relative to the target line.

I took that as suggesting a looser grip would force you to swing more controlled and less outside to in, in order to not toss your club.  but then again, I am the slicer in question buying trick balls.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scorer099 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 8:15am
Originally posted by ctoma

^ I agree with Scorer.  The question now becomes how do you teach someone to swing inside-to-out?  And square up the club face at contact?

Good question. First things first is you have to grove a swing path before you can learn to control the clubface.

Lots of different factors can go into what is causing an individual golfers out-to-in move. One of the most common issues i see is that golfers take the club too far inside too quickly on the takeaway. When that happens the only option you have at the start of or transition is to come over the top to try and correct the swing plane. This leads to a steep out-to-in path to the ball. The quick fix would be too hit balls and practice a takeaway that would be straighter back for a farther time, being sure to use the big muscles in your shoulders and torso to start the takeaway, and not your hands which leads to puling the club inside too quickly. Practice and hit some balls where you almost feel as though you are taking the club outside on the takeaway. This could feel very awkward, but if you actually did video work you would see that you are actually not taking the club outside nearly as much as what you may feel. This is an over-exagerated feeling. So, by taking the club back straighter, or even with an outside feeling, you have very little choice but for your move at the top to drop inside and down the swing plane.

Another very common problem is people rushing their transition at the top and beginning their downswing with their hands and shoulders rather than their lower body. This also leads to an early release of the club, also known as "casting". Hold that lag and release the club towards the bottom of the swing arc which will help you accelerate through impact.

People need to realize that the transition and downswing starts with the lower body and works its way up the body. If your lower body clears first, your hands and arms will naturally drop to the inside. Remember an efficient golf swing is an athletic move using the big muscles in your body, not your hands and arms, but your big muscles will dictate what your hands and arms need to do.

Lastly, i think the biggest issue with golfers is 3 fundamentals of golf: Grip, set-up, and alignment. Without these three key points there are too many different manipulations in the swing to allow someone to create a consistent swing.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 9:35am

Good question. First things first is you have to grove a swing path before you can learn to control the clubface.

Lots of different factors can go into what is causing an individual golfers out-to-in move. One of the most common issues i see is that golfers take the club too far inside too quickly on the takeaway. When that happens the only option you have at the start of or transition is to come over the top to try and correct the swing plane. This leads to a steep out-to-in path to the ball. The quick fix would be too hit balls and practice a takeaway that would be straighter back for a farther time, being sure to use the big muscles in your shoulders and torso to start the takeaway, and not your hands which leads to puling the club inside too quickly. Practice and hit some balls where you almost feel as though you are taking the club outside on the takeaway. This could feel very awkward, but if you actually did video work you would see that you are actually not taking the club outside nearly as much as what you may feel. This is an over-exagerated feeling. So, by taking the club back straighter, or even with an outside feeling, you have very little choice but for your move at the top to drop inside and down the swing plane.

Another very common problem is people rushing their transition at the top and beginning their downswing with their hands and shoulders rather than their lower body. This also leads to an early release of the club, also known as "casting". Hold that lag and release the club towards the bottom of the swing arc which will help you accelerate through impact.

People need to realize that the transition and downswing starts with the lower body and works its way up the body. If your lower body clears first, your hands and arms will naturally drop to the inside. Remember an efficient golf swing is an athletic move using the big muscles in your body, not your hands and arms, but your big muscles will dictate what your hands and arms need to do.

Lastly, i think the biggest issue with golfers is 3 fundamentals of golf: Grip, set-up, and alignment. Without these three key points there are too many different manipulations in the swing to allow someone to create a consistent swing.

This.  You can try and so all the things outlined in this post but if the three fundamentals outlined here and not correct you are not going to make a good swing.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 9:36am
I've struggled with ball flight all my life as well.  I don't have a lot of mobility in my left shoulder, so i end up pulling the club down from the top often.  this leads to blocked shots, and the dreaded reverse pivot- hips getting too far out ahead. :(  I have decent "closing" ability, as my common miss with my irons is a push to a push fade. 

Worst thing is, when i'm on the driving range, i hit high and long fades/draws with my driver.  i get on the course though i hit push slices, blocks, sky balls, and crazy hooks/hooding of the clubface. 

The two may miss sucks!
magichc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote magichc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2013 at 7:34pm
Is it normal for ppl to clap on the golf course or do ppl express their emotions. I'm pretty sure it's one of the most none exciting games
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 7:34am

This is a great explanation. I have never gotten that explanation from a golf pro or someone analyzing my swing for club fitting.  I will try that out next time at a range.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2013 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by VTBear

My brother's friend was sponsoring a golf event and gave me 3 boxes of ProV1s (I wish I could sell them) some Oakley sunglasses, 3 titlest gloves, some weird all in one divot repair contraption and a few bottles of vodka.

nice~

Where was this golf event? Sounds pretty nice to be a part of it, or at least get all the free stuff from a hook-up :-)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 6:14am
So, is the US Open Tiger's for the taking?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2013 at 6:58am

So, is the US Open Tiger's for the taking?

I want to see Tiger and Sergio paired up for a round.

Keep an eye on Luke Donald, Lefty and Adam Scott.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote LeerroooyJenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 12:23pm
^Apparently it isn't Tiger's for the taking, but I thought that since he was the only favorite in vegas.  

Maybe they should pair him with sergio for the 3rd round.  They are currently at about the same score.

Adam Scott was my pick, but he isn't making the cut.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 1:45pm
^ Yeah, I picked Lefty (-2), Luke Donald (E), and Adam Scott (+7).  Scott blew up today, 5 over.
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 2:21pm
Tiger isn't looking so good right now, but there is still time to come back and get it going. You never know when other players are gonna have a bad day
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2013 at 6:30pm
Zach Johnson is such a baby. Im sorry, I thought everyone was playing the same course??   Sit there and complain about unfairness, seriously?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>