Official Golf Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 20>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Golf Thread
    Posted: Jul/20/2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Backside10

Think Louis 'Woost-Hazen' will get that gap fixed with that nice 7 figure paycheck he just got? Or maybe he'll just be best buds with michael strahan now...

And Letterman........ 

started by flossers making floss for flossers
Coelispex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lil Grom

Quote Coelispex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 6:33am
One page of golf then BAM... photobomb.

Found a nice little weekly tournament last saturday. The greensfees are normally $26 for 18 but the "tournament entry fee" is $15 and you get a free round of golf, cash prizes for top 3 teams, played a 2 man best ball shot +1 and ended up in a three way tie for third. No playoffs, they just counted back... and I birdied the last 2 holes with 2 30 foot putts. The funny thing is we were joking around about how out of it we were on the 17th tee because the guys playing with us were ahead by 7 at -4. We were like, ok eagle then ace and we can tie if they go bogey double bogey. Turns out they won by 4, second place was even...

So finishing birdie birdie even when you think you're out of it can have it's rewards. Twenty bucks each, to be precise.
Don't get mad at your boss, just get apathetic about work
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 3:42pm
nice Coelispex thats a pretty solid finish

im finishing up work early this week so i can play 18 holes tomorrow, will be my first round of golf in a year or two but ive been getting back in golf 'shape' lately so i think i should have a pretty solid performance tomorrow, nothing to brag about but something respectable haha
chillman View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote chillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:37am
should i get a titeleist hybrid or a cleveland launcher.  anybody tried both?
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:30am
what kinda drivers are everyone using?

I shoot about a 100..
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JandJBlks2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:05am
does miniature golf counts?? If so, then that one I'm super good at!!!! but in the real grass..then count me out! did it once in high school, since that's part of our grad night...HORRIBLE!!!
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:53am
Just bought some Ping I3s and a Taylormade Burner driver. Love them
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
rhaha View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote rhaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 9:01am
I just hit my first golf balls last week! driving range for the first time.  made improvement already, but of course need more practice.. and maybe get my clubs trimmed down a little

i read a post here once as a joke i think, that you should be proud if your gf can drive 150 yd. or something to that effect.... opinions?
tdahl824 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote tdahl824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 9:10am
Originally posted by chillman

should i get a titeleist hybrid or a cleveland launcher. anybody tried both?

i have both in my bag right now..the 909h isn't that tough to hit. i guess it also depends on the shaft you get it with
159w Burton Joystick: Burton Malavita ::: 164 Bataleon Jam : Union Atlas
snowzip View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote snowzip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 2:11pm
Cleveland launcher...going to be buying a new driver at the end of the season when they drop in price. Golf outing to start the friday, free golf and boos, does it get any better?
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:04pm
just finished up playing the full 18, hit just above 100...not a bad score considering thats the first full game ive gotten in 2 years...i improved quiet a bit by the end of the day, i hope to get out there again next week
yerfdog2314 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote yerfdog2314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:45pm
I don't know if anyone posted this yet cuz i didn't read them all but Warrior Custom golf will send you a free Hybrid and/or Lob Wedge for just the shipping cost. I paid $30 for both of them. I haven't used them yet but my brother got the lob wedge and he said it was good.
brett.howard1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote brett.howard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:51pm
whittier narrows in southern california is a legit course! they have a 9 hole or 18 hole and i improved my game by 10 today on the 9 hole :)
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 9:08pm
SHOT A 65 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playing Texas Scramble in a Tournament.   It was fun but I really find I don't really play the right way in those things, just try to bomb every ball hit driver off every tee, and try to drive green etc.
started by flossers making floss for flossers
CheckOnTrips View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote CheckOnTrips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by VTBear

I shoot about a 100..

I just use an old set of Top Flite drivers, probably 10 years old.  My clubs are hand-me-downs since this is my first season golfing.  They look like sh!t but i still manage to crush the ball pretty well.  Ive used some of my friends high end drivers but i dont really see much difference in distance so im sticking with what ive got until i go pro.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 4:59am
thanks to this thread - I'm going to the driving range this weekend.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:01am
im using Callaway Titanium Warbird Driver.. about 10+ years old..

I heard some bad reviews about the Taylormade Burner Driver.. any thoughts here?
dlaw View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote dlaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:08am
This is my third year playing and I still suck haha.  Score in the low 100s.  

I have the Taylor Made Burner Driver, Nextt Irons (my beginner set), Pure Spin wedges and Odyssey Crimson Putter.  I really like the Burner driver, not really saying much but I can hit it farther than anyone in the group of friends that I normally play with.  Looking to pick up some Burner Irons next season.  I'm sure most of you already know about it but Rockbottomgolf is my go-to site for awesome deals and there are usually coupons codes out there if you google.
chungeroni View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote chungeroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:18am
Nike SQ (it's from a few years back) w/ a the diamana white board shaft.. but once you get a bit better, I think it's worth going into a shop and looking at different shafts for your driver and finding the right head to match.. And, the best way to go about buying clubs is finding a friend who can get them at cost b/c he/she works at a golf course and is sponsored (in a way.. but not REALLY sponsored) or if you can find a friend that works for the company
Oh, I’m in no condition to drive. Wait a minute. I don’t have to listen to myself. I’m drunk.
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:21am
It's hard to tell, but has a single women posted in this thread? Don't they play golf too? My wife plays, but not as much as I do because of her schedule, but she was reading over my shoulder because she still has interest, and doesn't trust my advice. She plays a much more relaxed game than I do(even though she rarely gets high), and shoots in the mid nineties, bad day she'll break a hundred. Don't any of you take your girlfriends or wives golfing?
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BoxStomper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:24am
hey guys. what are you thoughts on clone iron heads? i want to get a set. and get them custom sized for me. because i love the shafts i have. but i just want to pick up a set of like Taylormade clone iron heads
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:40am
Originally posted by ty

My father in law has a Taylormade Burner Driver and he let me use it. I hit the ball about 280 straight down the fairway. He looked at my wife and said well that swing just cost you a hunderd bucks.  It was the best drive of my life. I am going to try and pick one up at rockbottomgolf

brett.howard1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote brett.howard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/23/2010 at 6:24pm
i use my grandpas old lynx golf clubs.. and they work just fine for me! probably decently old golf clubs and i use a cleveland driver
Coelispex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lil Grom

Quote Coelispex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:14am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

It's hard to tell, but has a single women posted in this thread? Don't they play golf too? My wife plays, but not as much as I do because of her schedule, but she was reading over my shoulder because she still has interest, and doesn't trust my advice. She plays a much more relaxed game than I do(even though she rarely gets high), and shoots in the mid nineties, bad day she'll break a hundred. Don't any of you take your girlfriends or wives golfing?

Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden

Just kidding of course. But I do think golf was probably invented as a way to get away from home for a few hours. It was originally nine holes, then they thought hell that wasn't quite long enough. Lets play all the holes backwards when we're done so it takes twice as long.
Coelispex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lil Grom

Quote Coelispex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:17am
Originally posted by barnyard

thanks to this thread - I'm going to the driving range this weekend.

You're welcome.

As for the whole driver discussion, I picked up an FT-5 iMix last year and have been really happy with it, demoed the FT-9 just doesn't set up as well visually for me. I like the idea that you can change your shafts out but it appears to have been abandoned by callaway as the new line FTiz or whatever doesn't have iMix. I went to this driver from a callaway x460 and it's probably due to the shaft (Fujikura speeder) as much as the head but I picked up a solid 25 yards to my drives.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 6:17pm
If anyone needs some new irons check out this link R9 Taylor mades for 100 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/taylor-made-3-pw-kbs-stl/dp/B002ZAQUTI?tag=dealnewscom
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Originally posted by ty

My father in law has a Taylormade Burner Driver and he let me use it. I hit the ball about 280 straight down the fairway. He looked at my wife and said well that swing just cost you a hunderd bucks.  It was the best drive of my life. I am going to try and pick one up at rockbottomgolf

Golf Galaxy was going to give my brother-in-law $50 for his. He sold it to me for 50 instead. It's as good a driver as I've ever swung. I tried the Nike SQ driver and could not get a feel for it.
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by yerfdog2314

I don't know if anyone posted this yet cuz i didn't read them all but Warrior Custom golf will send you a free Hybrid and/or Lob Wedge for just the shipping cost. I paid $30 for both of them. I haven't used them yet but my brother got the lob wedge and he said it was good.

Checked it out, seemed pretty cool, seeing my friend uses Warrior Custom clubs but the site lied to me about being $30 for shipping it was like $45 so im not sure i necessarily need the clubs even though thats still a great price haha
JonnyUK View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I wish this were my office everyday!

Quote JonnyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 1:07pm
In the bag: Taylormade R7 Superquad, Callaway X 3 wood, Nike SQ 7 Wood, Titleist MB irons 4-PW, Taylormade z wedges (56 and 60 degrees) and a taylormade rossa corza putter.

Let's hope they perform for me on saturday!
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 1:25pm
Good luck Jonny hope they work out for ya, what are you planning on shooting?
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 2:24pm
If you are after good golf gear at good prices I recommend the Golf Warehouse online tgw.com  Are there any better sites out there?
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 9:10pm
shot my all time low today with a 74. i'm so stoked. only 1 birdie, but loads and loads of pars. i'm suprised i did so well considering it was about 103 today at the time i was on the course today. loved it, it gave my drives an extra 10-20 yards and i could put so much spin on the ball with my wedges.
Camber Is The New Rocker.
JonnyUK View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
I wish this were my office everyday!

Quote JonnyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 12:28am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

Good luck Jonny hope they work out for ya, what are you planning on shooting?

Cheers mate. Looking at shooting high 70s or low 80s at the worst. how's your game going? shooting good scores?
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 6:24am
my friend gave me a cleveland launcher 460 driver!!

woot.. tried it out on a executive course yesterday.. far but slices... gotta fix that..
ksmountain View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ksmountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 7:50am
Wow, I am shocked at how good some folks on here are at golf. People are talking about shooting in 70s on a regular basis. Someone shot a 74! Jesus. I've never played with a non-pro who shot that. Consider me impressed...
Charb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Charb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 8:26am
tiger woods is back to square one. he should really try harder if he plans on having an actual comeback.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 8:29am
perhaps he's too oversexed to concentrate
be talkin to ya
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 10:42am
No my scores have been awful this year, however last time out I played a scamble with my wife on a crappy course and shot +5 over 75. I was happy with that.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Shaz

If you are after good golf gear at good prices I recommend the Golf Warehouse online tgw.com  Are there any better sites out there?

They are pretty good i just look at them through amazon since they post everything on there as well, but they had a huge mess up yesterday...they had $1000 taylor made irons on sale 90% off for $112 and apparently they sold 60,000 of them? that number could be wrong but needless to say it was an error and there are a lot of mad people who arent getting an incredible deal and now have to cancel their orders
K8sgotgame View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote K8sgotgame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2010 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by eldolocal68

I think I'm the only one who posted Embarrassed

My bf and I made a deal after we had been dating a while --- I would teach him to snowboard and he would teach me to golf.  We're both lefties so it's easy to teach each other various sports. 

I picked up golf fast and hit pretty damn far for a girl.  He usually wins longest drive for the men and I win it for the women.  There aren't usually any legit lady golfers in any of the tourneys we do.
Coelispex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Lil Grom

Quote Coelispex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 12:15am
Originally posted by ksmountain

Wow, I am shocked at how good some folks on here are at golf. People are talking about shooting in 70s on a regular basis. Someone shot a 74! Jesus. I've never played with a non-pro who shot that. Consider me impressed...

Put a touring pro on most of the courses we play, tees, pin placements, green speeds, etc... They'd all shoot in the low-mid sixties probably every round. Their bad days they might shoot par. The courses the way they're set up on tour a scratch golfer would probably be really happy shooting mid-high seventies.

The only time I've broken par (aside from exec courses) I was hungover as hell, had about four hours sleep, on the way to the course my friend was driving so I had him stop and I got two of those bud light-clamato tall cans and drank them before we started. So there is no recipe for success, just relax and when you're swinging it good and sinking putts confidence starts rolling and scores start dropping.

Right now I'm probably a 6-7 handicap so I'm actually kind of pissed I've only ever had one round under par.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 11:15am
I went to the range yesterday night to practice the new driver.

GREAT... good distance.. not slicing too much.. even had a little fade to it.
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 1:20pm
Hopefully the weather holds up tomorrow so i can get off work early and play a round of 18...i need more practice if i want to keep improving my game
Digitalism View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Digitalism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 1:27pm
Anyone have one of those green reader/GPS things??

I'm wondering if I should get one, but not sure if its worth it.
Local
Local

Quote CheckOnTrips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2010 at 9:30pm
I shot an 89 on Monday, my best score yet.  Likely because i didnt get all hammered while i played.  I love drinking on the course, but my game falls apart around the 10th hole usually.
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Quote VTBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 9:28am
lol, what kind of work do you do that you can play on Mondays?

I might try to make it out to Penderbrook or Virginia Oaks this weekend.. twilight..
sopel10 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sopel10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 10:01am
first of all, golf is my favorite sport since i started playing 2 years ago

i am terrible at it, 0 consistency - i have a mental problem with turning my hands over during the downswing and nothing i tried helped but i recently tried a new thing of extremly strong grip and then on the down swing my hands turn over a little bit to return to natural postition

with that in mind i hit my short to mid long irons very crisp, extremly high shots, with my PW around 130-135 yards, usually stop almost on the dime, i like my short irons very much so i always try to manage to get to around this distance, never less

i don't even try using the driver, don't even carry it in my bag.  hit 3 wood of the tee and i'm terrible at it.

i do have 1 hybrid and i use it sometimes, but since i recently started to hit my irons very nicely, i don't use that hybrid that much anymore

overall, not sure if i broke a 100 ever counting every single stroke.....*crying*
zabisket View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zabisket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2010 at 10:59am

I might try to make it out to Penderbrook or Virginia Oaks this weekend.. twilight..

hahah i played at penderbrook last week and i was going again today (but i dont know whats gonna happen with this storm) because its soo cheap, pretty much anything after 4pm is like $25 with a golf cart, its a sweet deal and a decent course...nothing special but definitely a good course to help improve your game like what im doing, not to mention everyone who works there seems pretty nice too

have you heard anything on virginia oaks?
zagfan5 View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
whatever

Quote zagfan5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 11:42pm

I shoot about a 100..

i hit an 09 taylormade burner. average around 290 or so.

so stoked, just picked up a used set of ping g2's for 200 bucks. such a steal. 3-pw.

all matching serial numbers and original grips in banger condition.
Camber Is The New Rocker.
Local
Local

Quote CheckOnTrips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2010 at 11:56pm

Im a bartender at a club so i mainly work weekends.  Weekdays are for golf and boozin.

Those are really the only 2 courses that i play.  Both are close to home and really cheap.  Last Monday we golfed 36 holes at Penderbrook for $27, can beat that.  Granted, their sand traps are like cart paths and the beer gal is only mildly attractive.  But for $27 im completely fine with that.  VA Oaks is pretty nice and you can play for a reasonable price if you book through Golfnow.com.  Tons of blind shots though, they get me everytime.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>