Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wisdom Teeth
    Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 10:09pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtaCich0co&feature=player_embedded

anyone else who hasn't done it yet getting worried?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 10:18pm
hahah

im gonna need mine out soon, and im gonna give my camera to whoever is with me.

i have four and they all came in straight, and theres not really any crowding.. but my gums arent quite long enough.  the main reason they said i have to get them out is just to avoid any infections because of a small pocket behind the back teeth created with my gums, since you can get food in there and its hard to get out.  my two bottom ones are pretty much all the way in and i havent had any discomfort.  top ones are through but not all the way down.

really not looking forward to it cause i hate the dentist, but whatever.
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 10:45pm
you're so damn lucky, my skull is small and all my teeth are going from under my molars and i'm too scared to remove them
bwen View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 10:47pm
I had four molars removed when I was younger to realign my teeth when I got braces so my wisdom teeth grew straight so I guess I didn't have to endure what most people do and get them removed. It's pretty crazy with evolution these days some people aren't even getting them anymore
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 11:42pm
those wisdom teeth are a real pain.. I don't get why they are called "wisdom". I have one that grows leaning onto a neighbor tooth which is a risk of getting caries between them so will have to remove it in the next 3 months.  Pulling out teeth is a hell of the experience and those wisdom ones can be a big thing involving surgeries
We are is what we think
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2010 at 11:48pm
I got a cromagnon cave man jaw so I'll be hanging on to mine for awhile
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 1:42am
For those who think the dentist is BSing when talking about the risk of infection, I have had 2 infections due to my wisdom teeth in the last year. First one was severe. Pain, numbness on one side of my face, and just all around a bad time. Had to go to the dentist and they injected the area with some solution and gave me antibiotics and painkillers for a few days.

Second one was minor and didn't require a trip to the dentist but it was extremely uncomfortable for 2 days.

Just happens when food/bacteria gets into that area under the gum where the wisdom teeth are coming out. Just gotta brush very thoroughly, floss, and use mouthwash... but chance of infection will never go away until you remove the wisdom teeth.

I'm planning to get mine taken out and I'm in Japan so it's mostly covered under the national insurance. Thank god i'm not back home where I would have to pay over 2000 dollars.

da640 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 2:28am
I'm lucky all 4 of mine came through straight and at this stage don't need removing. However my girlfriend had to get all 4 crushed and removed and couldn't eat for a week.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 2:50am
i went twice to get mine removed.

the first time i only took one out cause it was screwing up my bite.  caused pressure on my other teeth.  it was pretty painful even with the freezing.

second time i removed the remaining 3 due to possible infection.  they put me under for that one.  it was fun.  woke up and it was done.  dont remember a thing

fyi for above poster... they are called wisdom teeth because you dont get them until you are older.  when you are supposed to be wiser  
fini View Drop Down
Local
Local
Vorsprung durch Technik

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 3:39am
i also went in twice for pulling out my wisdom teeth. fortunately for me, they grew in relatively normally since i had some decent space for them, so it was a quick 15-20 minute procedure, standard local freezing pretty much pain free. 

the only thing that i hated about it was trying to keep the cavities clean everytime after i ate to make sure i was warding off infection.
benjiradio View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 3:44am
I just had 2 removed for the first time a couple weeks ago.  It wasn't "too" bad.  I actually played golf a couple hours after the appointment (not recommended). 

*btw dry sockets suck
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:24am
hmm

so i have my bottom ones grown in and it seems to be grown in straight 
no real pains, but at first it was shifting the other teeth slightly

my dentist told me i do not need to take them out, but i think i should

what you all think
my mom says im hardcore
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:25am
Getting your wisdom teeth pulled sucks! But, codine afterwards can make things interesting. It's worth it in the long run if they're causing you pain. If you get the option to get put under go for it. I was awake for two and it seemed to take an eternity. 
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:28am
i took out 3.
two of them were lying on the side and had hooks.. took an hour to get them out. each.. the pain killers wore out... sucked assss
knoelle11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 5:36am
If there's any question about whether your wisdom teeth need to come out just do it. The risk of infection and realignment of your teeth are serious problems. If your wisdom teeth do grow in at an odd angle or are putting pressure on neighboring teeth you will run the risk that the wisdom tooth will kill the roots of the other tooth, causing you to need a root canal (also a painful procedure).

Are wisdom teeth removals covered by your insurance? If so, just do it. Your teeth will thank you later.

snowydays14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
A photo I took on the fourth of July

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 6:39am
I had all four removed, and was one of the few who wasn't affected by the drugs! Though I don't remember getting from the office to the car.........Smile
Give me snow!!!!
Sintexo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 6:42am
I got all 4 out... two years ago? something like that.  Got the laughing gas and the Novocaine.  Didn't say stupid crap but was definitely a little light headed.  The painkillers they gave were pretty nice too.
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 6:44am
Two of mine are toast...they were growing in sideways due to lack of space back there.  Got the butterfly in the wrist and don't even remember being driven home...or going unconscious for that matter.  Had a mouthful of gauze for about three days till the bleeding stopped.  They gave me some T3s but I didn't like how the first one made me feel so I just stuck it out...wasn't actually that painful unless I ate something that strained the stitches in my gums.
imwazn View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 6:49am
i got them out last summer. i was kinda nervous at first, but it really wasnt all that bad. i just couldnt eat for like two days.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 7:37am
I had to get one removed when I was twenty.  The dentist told me I should remove the other three even though they were not showing through.  I asked him was it necessary and he said it is not absolutely necessary but in his infinite professional wisdom (pardon the pun) I should have them removed...well here I am many years later and had completely forgotten about the I guess I should call it, non-issue.

I guess that is why they say get a second opinion, and maybe a third, and fourth, and....
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 7:40am
if l rmb properly, l pulled them out in 2 sessions (bottom then top) bottom swelled for like 2 weeks, while top had nothing at all. l think it depends really on if they have to dig deep to get the tooth or didnt have to.

the most painful part was l think that they didnt use enough sedative and l was sorta feeling it when they were doign my top. dont know if its only a mind thing or a serious one. They use serious pressure to get it out
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 7:46am
I had all 4 of mines removed in the same day..I think it's better that way, it wasn't painful at all..maybe bec. i have a high tolerance when it comes to pain..but i didn't feel it at all..I just heard them scraping my teeth out..now that was the uncomfortable part! I was highly sedated though..but even after the anesthesia went away, the pain wasn't terrible..i just hated it because I couldn't eat hard foods..always soup! so lame!! it looks ugly though cause you see 4 holes in your gum! pretty scary!! plus the blood is just flowing..sick!!!
odoyale rules View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 7:51am
I got mine pulled out 2 years ago, and had an IV so I don't remember a thing of it. But afterwards it wasn't too bad. A good amount of swelling though
18 days and counting

I make custom diecuts (stickers). PM me for info
psubballfan12 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:07am
i got mine out last year and lost 6 pounds from not being able to eat anything
Protect your domes
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:13am
I had 4 taken out a few months ago, the Novocaine worked pretty well but the gas did nothing for me and painkillers make me sick.  My recommendation is to get or borrow a vaporizer.  You can't smoke or do bong hits afterward, but you can hit a vaporizer.  My volcano vaporizer made the experience not so bad at all.  Just spent the next few days super high watching movies.  Honestly it was kind of fun...
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:26am
for most, getting them removal isnt that bad. hope for tons of anaesthesia. its just more hype from horror stories. of course, you could be the exception that makes another horror story. 
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:31am
I got one done and it was no biggie at all.  The drugs made it nice though.
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:34am
I had to get mine removed years ago since the bottom ones came in 'sideways'/impacted.  Had to go twice - for one side first, and then the other side a couple of weeks later - not a fun experience at all (took hours, and I was awake the whole time).  It's all in the past now though :).
djmaya View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 8:42am
My wife add all 4 pulled in one day. with just local anesthesia non of this high as a kite drugs. And those teeth were nasty F'huge.
just do it you'll feel better after a week.
2012 Vapor 162W - 2010 CO2 EST - 2010 Hail
julkydean View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 9:48am
OMG thats so funny. I got my 4 wisdom teeth at once and it was not pretty. I was drooling all over the place every time I tried to eat or drinking anything.  
solocreep View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 9:54am
Yeah that novocane does has some funny efferts. I had a little laughing gas too which made it even more funny
is it just me? or is common sense not that common.
mivn08 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 9:56am
I never developed any wisdom teeth on the top, so no worries there, but i did have to get my bottom 2 wisdom teeth removed. Overall it wasnt bad, except for the first three days after. Keeping the holes clean is a big part of the healing process. If you're a smoker, you have to quit for a few days or you will most likely get dry sockets, which really suck.
cheemaster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 11:05am
I remember getting mine out. The three days after were the worst days of my life. I didn't stop bleeding until three days after so I was dead tired all day, and the taste of dry blood stayed in my mouth all day. I straight up wanted to die.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 11:06am
Those post wisdom teeth videos are hilarious. When I came around after getting mine pulled, I got all angry and pirate mouthed with the nurse. Now that I think about it, I should go back and apologize.  Funny thing is, I was an absolute mess after getting mine pulled due to the anesthesia, but when I came around after getting surgery on my ruptured achilles, the anesthesia didn't make me all loopy like that. I just couldn't feel anything from the waist down for about 4-5 hours.
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 11:11am
I'm not sure if i should read this forum because i am super scared of getting my wisdom teeth out. PUT ME TO SLEEP!
KR3W_Member View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 11:14am
My mom told me after I got my wisdom teeth taken out that I threatened the doctor that I was going to beat the crap out of him....  So have fun man the only way to go is being put under though and plus I got six teeth taken out that day, so it definitely wasn't pretty after.
LeerroooyJenkins View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 12:51pm
just chew on some snow...that will keep the swelling down
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 12:53pm
Luckily I was born without wisdom teeth!  I think if you're going to get your wisdom teeth pulled then do them all at once so you can puff up like a chipmunk once rather than multiple times.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
graemeh View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 12:58pm
If you get them out go to a real hospital. None of this dentist office rubbish, in a hospital you get the real drugs. You don't feel a thing for 24 hrs, best way to do it.

My dentist refuses to do anything other than emergency/simple wisdom tooth extractions.
syphus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 2:33pm
my misses got her wisdom pulled out

it was growing sideways into her other teeth and pushing them forward

2 out of 4 pulled out. She had to get her gums stiched up.. i think she got 7 needles to numb the pain..she is due in another operation in a few weeks time..better off getting it done now before the damages are worse
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Luckily I was born without wisdom teeth!

I was born with no teeth. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Tongue

casE View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 3:22pm
damn i terrified of having to get a wisdom teeth taken out after all the horrors  i've heard from family and coworkers.

BananaMonster View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 3:53pm
I had mine done a few weeks ago and I was freaking out about it but it was really nothing to worry about.

I got pretty tired of applesauce, mashed potatoes and jello real quick and tried to eat more solid things which was a mistake, Its best to wait 5 or 6 days to try eating real food again.

Other than that its not bad, my doctor told me to keep ice on it to keep the swelling down and take pain meds every few hours before the pain actually comes.

using a syringe and warm salt water to clean the holes works alot better than gargling, best to wait a few days to use the syringe and be gentle when using it.

Dont trip chocolate chip!
cantbeyou View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 3:59pm
For any of you that are scared to get your wisdom teeth out, it really is better to do it before you have anything bad come up. The ideal time to have them pulled is right around when they pop up(when the roots are not fully formed yet). The bigger the roots are, the more likely its going to be a more complex extraction. Also, you heal much quicker when you are younger and your tooth gets more "connected" with the bone as you get older. So, a little soreness for 2-5 days when you are younger certainly beats having a bad infection and having a more complex surgical extraction when you are older...

To avoid dry sockets, don't do anything that gives you too much pressure in your mouth (drinking through a straw, smoking, forceful spitting, etc). The big deal with the hole healing is keeping the blood clot intact, if it breaks up, then you can end up with exposed bone (PAINFUL)

As always, check with your dentist though as they can actually see what is going on and make a better judgement if you need your wisdom teeth extracted or not.
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:11pm
i had 2 teeth pulled before i got my braces, it wasn't so bad but i was choking on my blood for like 3hrs and had to keep spitting it out
IMO getting braces hurts more.
fbshaeffer View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:24pm
Had it done when I was in the marines, probably the worst part of boot camp. They gave me one day to recover, then it was back to work.
rock1356 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:29pm
I got 2 pulled when I was younger.  It wasn't so bad.  I slept most of the day with ice packs under my neck. 
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 4:55pm
i had all of mine extracted at once, by the best oral surgeon in the D.C. area, didn't feel a thing, overall a nice experience, stayed drugged up for a few days. was a little bummed, because i wanted to keep em, but my sister (a dentist) said it was the worst extraction she had ever seen, oh well, i didn't notice.
3FLi View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 6:21pm
I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth that had to come out. I need 3 visits to get them all out. 2 in one visit and 1 each for the other 2. It totally sucked. One denist I went to was horrible with the novocaine I swear I feel most of the pain of the tooth getting ripped out of my mouth. needless to say I never went to that guy again. The other 2 times were more bearable but the scarred memory of the first time screwed with me.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2010 at 6:36pm
omg ive had a horrible dentist yank out my tooth, i swear the novacaine didnt do much, i felt everything!!! Is there some kind of dentist rating system?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>