scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Phone-!-
    Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 6:22am
Hello!

Looking at getting a new phone soon, either a HTC desire or iphone 4

Note im from aus so HTC evo is not an option, and ill have to wait till september for iphone 4!

any of you have any experience with either of these 2 phones? or any other really good smartphone for that matter?

:D:D cheers
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 7:57am
iphone 4.  the evo's battery life is garbage.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
burtonrider97 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:05am
i have the iphone 4 and its is very cool deffintly a upgrade from the last 4 generations made. and the signal problem is next to nothing now with the new firmwear upgrade
TreeHundo Crew Northstar 09-10 Total Days - 77 good season
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:06am
is the battery life of the iphone 4 decent? ive wanted to get the iphone4 since it was released but was tempted by how much cheaper the desire is :o
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:12am
  • Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G
  • Standby time: Up to 300 hours
  • Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Video playback: Up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: Up to 40 hours
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
Aos View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:12am
I heard the Nexus One is pretty sweet.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:20am
I have a blackberry storm the bastard child of smart phones.
nickyb4 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:31am
if u have verizon, wait till the new htc comes out. its like the evo but with a keyboard...
Peekaboo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 8:51am
If you are looking for smart phone these days. Only viable option you should go with is either Iphone or Android. Iphone 4 currenty has a huge problem with drop calls (chances are they wont be able to fix it, since it is a design flaw). Evo or Droid X isnt a bad choice. What it comes about, is all about the apps.
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:00am
iPhone is great for the design (excepting the antenna problem) and because of the plenty of apps it has. But its mostly marketing.
The Samsung OMNIA 2 is great too, and not so expensive.
Argentinian rider!
working View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:28am
do you have access to htc droid incredible? i remember the top phones for carriers were iphone4, htc droid incredible and htc evo.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:31am
iphone doesn't have sufficient processing power...gets bogged down too easily
be talkin to ya
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:41am
buy a netbook
giftedhands View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
Steamboat Powdah!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Aos

the nexus one has been discontinued due to crappy marketing and android phones eating others share. 

Originally posted by Peekaboo

If you are looking for smart phone these days. Only viable option you should go with is either Iphone or Android. Iphone 4 currenty has a huge problem with drop calls (chances are they wont be able to fix it, since it is a design flaw). Evo or Droid X isnt a bad choice. What it comes about, is all about the apps.

you mean this droid x? 

as phones get smaller and smaller,  antennae issues are more and more common. its a very technical challenge to build small phones with internal antennas, with no issues. This is why antennas used to be built outside of the phone. 

Originally posted by wpiass

the iphone 4 has a 1ghz A4 processor with 512MB of RAM. And its running an OS far more efficient than windows mobile or android. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Originally posted by carebear

buy a netbook

what?

RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:57am
I'm recently using the HTC Inredible...I'm enjoying the speed of the snapdragon processor which is the same at the HTC Desire.  No lag and seriously multitasking is enjoyable rather than waiting for an app to close or switch between phone/app/messaging/web browsing etc.

I've always been on Verizon's (CDMA vs GSM) network, so I can't say much about the iPhone.  What's are the most important factors in choosing between the two?  battery life I can see is important to you...

One thing you gotta think about spec'd battery life, is it's more likely best case scenario.  They don't give you user based number.  Realistically, a user wants to know when you use all the functions of a phone, how long will it last?  Probably 2 days.

I can say, when I'm using the incredible's navigation , the battery life doesn't last long because the screen is on all he time.
Did you google it?
andrewb2 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 10:01am
I have the 3GS and would get the 4 if I had an upgrade, I suggest you wait it out till september, the iPhone 4 is a sick phone
iwantsomekoolaid View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 10:02am
the only problem wit iphone 4 is the antenna but i guess its fixable wen u put that bumper case on but other than that iphone is a cool phone.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:38pm
the blackberry 9700 is great.  depends on what you want to do with it though.  I like blackberry for blackberry messenger, email, etc.  For webbrowsing it sucks but there is a new webbrowser coming.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by burtonrider97

i have the iphone 4 and its is very cool deffintly a upgrade from the last 4 generations made. and the signal problem is next to nothing now with the new firmwear upgrade

lol nothing was fixed, the firmware was simply an update to the algorithm that lets you know how many bars you're actually getting. now they simply lie to you a little less. Clap
KellyBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:52pm
My freind got the HTC and it is a bit clunky compare to the Iphone 4. I'll wait until they come up with a better solution for the atenna problem for the iphone 4 though.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 12:58pm
l still think iphon4 is the best one even with the problem. even with no reception( on screen) you can still make phone call so its not a big deal. also u can jailbreak iphones to get free apps!! thats a major +100
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 1:27pm
Get the droid x.  It's amaaaazing
Just call me Dan
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by mech9t5

the blackberry 9700 is great.  depends on what you want to do with it though.  I like blackberry for blackberry messenger, email, etc.  For webbrowsing it sucks but there is a new webbrowser coming.

I like the reception on BB 9700. Very solid device. Once you set it up - it works like a dream.

Check this out..

I like the new screen so much bigger and it is touch a still with the keyboard.  I really want to see OS 6 in action.
We are is what we think
Razkul99 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Board Loiter...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 2:17pm
The iPhone 4 is pretty incredible in features and apps but if you like it, you should also consider the new Samsung offerings like the Captivate which have even better features at a significantly reduced price tag.
Shake and bake...
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by giftedhands

Originally posted by Aos

the nexus one has been discontinued due to crappy marketing and android phones eating others share. 

Originally posted by Peekaboo

you mean this droid x? 

as phones get smaller and smaller,  antennae issues are more and more common. its a very technical challenge to build small phones with internal antennas, with no issues. This is why antennas used to be built outside of the phone. 

Originally posted by wpiass

the iphone 4 has a 1ghz A4 processor with 512MB of RAM. And its running an OS far more efficient than windows mobile or android. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Originally posted by carebear

buy a netbook

what?

+1

The iPhone is an amazing device.  The only trouble with the iPhone is AT&T coverage so if you are in an area where AT&T gets good reception then you are good.  It is true that the iPhone 4 has the antenna issue but it is resolved with a case.  I am not sure who would not protect this phone with a case anyways so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  The camera, video, battery life, and screen resolution on the iPhone 4 is superior to the 3rd generation.
bradylion09 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 4:02pm
The iPhone is cool but I think it has some small problems because it was rushed out on the market. I still have my 3G and love it but I'm one to not change if I have a good thing going. So as long as this keeps working I'm good.
Posted from my IPhone. Ha
Jdsimmons2 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 5:32pm
iPhone 4 not doubt. You can jailbreak it and use it on different providers. Battery problem isn't a problem at all. I've had no processor problems either.  And the antenna thing is a point of concern but a case that covers the antenna is no problem. AND Apple is offering free cases/bumpers to anybody that purchases the iPhone before September 30, 2010.

posted from my iPhone 4

bboy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
My dog is a serial Rapist...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 5:42pm
go HTC - andriod os is awesome and when you learn how to upgrade your roms. so many hassles with software issues you dont have to deal with like other os's that dont allow that kind of mods.
2010 Sierra crew 156, 2010 Union Sierra Contact SL
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2010 at 9:14pm
iphones are available on a few providers in aus, so the AT&T thing isnt really a problem

will prob go the iphone tbh, looks so amazing -.-
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 1:00am
Originally posted by SVS

I like the reception on BB 9700. Very solid device. Once you set it up - it works like a dream.

Check this out..

I like the new screen so much bigger and it is touch a still with the keyboard.  I really want to see OS 6 in action.

ya. I'll probably be getting the 9800.  The only thing I am not sure if it will have is flash web browsing.  Now that Android can do it, I'm hoping the new OS6.0 browser will support it too.  

I have had the 2G, 3G, and 3GS.  Everytime, I have sold it within 3 months.  The phone is interesting for a little bit but gets old fast.  It just isn't that great as a phone.  The 9700 has way better reception, speaker phone is much loader, ear piece is also louder, and messaging is far superior.  The iphone has the app store but most of the apps are useless.

I expect the iphone 4 to be just as boring as the last 3 generations.
SVS View Drop Down
Local
Local
Goggle

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 1:34am

Originally posted by SVS

Check this out..

ya. I'll probably be getting the 9800.  The only thing I am not sure if it will have is flash web browsing.  Now that Android can do it, I'm hoping the new OS6.0 browser will support it too.  

I have had the 2G, 3G, and 3GS.  Everytime, I have sold it within 3 months.  The phone is interesting for a little bit but gets old fast.  It just isn't that great as a phone.  The 9700 has way better reception, speaker phone is much loader, ear piece is also louder, and messaging is far superior.  The iphone has the app store but most of the apps are useless.

I expect the iphone 4 to be just as boring as the last 3 generations.

Bold 9700 is my second BB.  Had a Pearl before got it. BBs generally make an impression of a very thoughtful devices.  Bold 9700 has all the best of BB's in a good looking, quality case.
All small things like optical track pad, how smoothly and tight the battery cover slides... to applications - alarm, calendar, profiles, sounds.. it is so intuitive and easy.  Reception is something that we really appreciate here in NZ cause Vodafone NZ sucks in many locations here so when my friends sometimes complain about it my Bold does not fail me.
And yes, speaker phone is super.

Multimedia app toys are not really much fun to me so I am not bothered here.. quite happy with what google offers and Weather eye.

Browsing is a bit of a pain. But that should be fixed in OS 6 as promised I believe. 

Let's see what 9800 will have to offer.Big smile
We are is what we think
VTBear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
bear at beaver creek

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 4:30am
galaxy S
I hear alot of good things about that.

the iphone 4 is great if you have never had an smartphone before..
Tak3n View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 4:57am
Should be a good time to buy a phone, all the major manufactures are coming out with competing models. The iphone 4 does look absolutely amazing. Can wait till it comes out in australia. (Also get a free bumper lol)
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 5:11am
my current phone is a turd nokia one.. cannot wait to get a smart phone, waiting to see just how expensive the iphone 4 is going to be though..
pyrotechnics View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 5:17am
Originally posted by VTBear

galaxy S
I hear alot of good things about that.

the iphone 4 is great if you have never had an smartphone before..

galaxy s if you could get your hands on one.
sarpedonice View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 7:32am

Comments for the SE Xperia 10 is welcome. It comes with Android 1.6, but an upgrade to 2.1 is coming in fall as I know.

ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 7:56am
i love iphones but that new antenna problem makes it kind of sketchy.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 9:55am
Devices with slower processors and then upgraded make the whole phone bog down.  I saw this going from an HTC (I forgot the model name) but, it had Android 1.6, and an upgrade was available to 2.1.  Transition from feature to feature lagged quite a bit that staying with the Android 1.6 would have been better.

Op, won't have this problem because you're buying a brand new phone.

Did you google it?
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 4:04pm
galaxy s looks amazing :O

does anyone actually have it?
Shadowrak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 4:08pm
You should get the HTC.
Rossignol Scope
Burton C60
Burton SL9
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Shadowrak

You should get the HTC.

wow your argument really blew me away there. i cant believe i hadn't considered all those valid points you put up there. thanks man thats amazing...
ozmotion View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 6:19pm
Get the iphone 3gs. Available now obviously, and can probably be had rather cheaply due to the iphone 4 release. While other companies keeping putting out new phones cause they're trying to improve on the mediocre crap that they made in the past, the iphone has been a polished and finished product from the get go. Each new revision just adds new features (which you may or may not need) and speed, but the basic interface has been perfect from the start.

Btw, I personally own a sidekick (not sure if its available in oz), which I prefer due to it having the best smartphone keyboard ever. But my second choice would definitely be the iphone.

supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 7:00pm
should definitely wait for the iphone. early adopters got it hard, with all the antenna controversies

although ultimately, get the iphone after all is said and done. no matter what, even if you're not an apple fan, you cannot deny that iphone is indeed the strongest phone.
rishihb View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2010 at 7:05pm
I love the iPhone 4. I would go with that phone. I live in an area where AT&T coverage issues dont exist, so its a solid phone that beats all others in every other category (design, app store, etc.)
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 5:14am
Originally posted by SVS

Bold 9700 is my second BB.  Had a Pearl before got it. BBs generally make an impression of a very thoughtful devices.  Bold 9700 has all the best of BB's in a good looking, quality case.
All small things like optical track pad, how smoothly and tight the battery cover slides... to applications - alarm, calendar, profiles, sounds.. it is so intuitive and easy.  Reception is something that we really appreciate here in NZ cause Vodafone NZ sucks in many locations here so when my friends sometimes complain about it my Bold does not fail me.
And yes, speaker phone is super.

Multimedia app toys are not really much fun to me so I am not bothered here.. quite happy with what google offers and Weather eye.

Browsing is a bit of a pain. But that should be fixed in OS 6 as promised I believe. 

Let's see what 9800 will have to offer.Big smile

I've had 4 blackberries and all 3 previous iphones.  I still prefer blackberry.  The apps don't appeal to me but I wish bb had a decent touch screen and webbrowser.  that's why I'm hoping the BB slider 9800 will be good.
JandJBlks2k View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 5:38am
if you're getting an iPhone 4g...just wait a couple more months for the newer/better phones..it said that they've completely eliminated the constant problem that's existent..I believe the new sets of iPhone 4gs (that are supposedly fixed/no more "reception" issues) are being released around November in the U.S.
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 5:49am
I wouldn't wasted my time with a 3GS.  Sure, it was a great phone, but you should always buy the most recent Apple products.   They will be supported longer, they have better features, and the resale value is higher.
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
brett.howard1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 7:39am
can you get the droid x? my friend just got that and its just as good as the iphone 4.. its the verizon version of the iphone 4.
airik View Drop Down
Local
Local
here today, gone to tahoe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by RideTimeless

I'm recently using the HTC Inredible...I'm enjoying the speed of the snapdragon processor which is the same at the HTC Desire.  No lag and seriously multitasking is enjoyable rather than waiting for an app to close or switch between phone/app/messaging/web browsing etc.

I've always been on Verizon's (CDMA vs GSM) network, so I can't say much about the iPhone.  What's are the most important factors in choosing between the two?  battery life I can see is important to you...

One thing you gotta think about spec'd battery life, is it's more likely best case scenario.  They don't give you user based number.  Realistically, a user wants to know when you use all the functions of a phone, how long will it last?  Probably 2 days.

I can say, when I'm using the incredible's navigation , the battery life doesn't last long because the screen is on all he time.

this is why i love these forums...i spent all last week and this weekend researching phone options and so far this thread has the most useful information than any other site out there.  (including cnet).  I've narrowed it down to the Verizon Incredible and Att Iphone 4.   With that said... here's my thinking:
-motorolla droid x: this thing is way too big, pass
-sprint evo 4g: same story, way too big.  and no 4g in san francisco
-incredible/verizon: perfect size, cnet editors pick, my only question is battery life compared to iphone4. 
-iphone 4: att reception in san francisco and battery life is my only concern.  Had iphone before but got rid of because of those two issues.

Break down for service: (switched from iphone to verizon bb, ready to switch to either android or iphone)
Verizon:
pros: still can get unlimited data plans, better coverage in the bay area and tahoe.
cons: not sure about android platform vs iphone.
Att pros: "i want the iphone".
att cons: service sucks in sf.

Phones:
Incredible: not sure about battery or android...
Iphone: i have all the cables etc, know it's an incredible device

Anybody else in the same boat?...cheers
xtremez View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2010 at 7:59am
Went to the 3 dealer (Aus) and the dealer said iphone 4 will be out by the end of july. He also said it will most likely be similar to the existing iphone plans, 49$ cap plan but u might have to pay a little handset fee per month. That sounded quite reasonable. Only another week to wait
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>