Japan 2011- info

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 10>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan 2011- info
    Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 5:01am
haha, i know zero good deals. Please dont :) But i'll keep my ear to the ground and if anyone sends me some tidbits ill obviously throw them this way :)

Rakuten is awesome, but you really need a japanese reader to help you. The english rakuten site often has very few good deals (usually stuff around 6,000yen pppn). If you have a fluent japanese person you can harass (i have a few :P) then youll get the proper prices (3000-4000) for really nice digs.

K, bugs pretty mcuh answered almost all the questions, so ill answer the only one left:

You can go in any clump of trees you like mate. The only out of bounds areas in niseko are:

1. Insta death kill gulleys (of which there are 2 i believe).
2. The avalanche control zone (which, once you sign up to the 2(?) hour lecture and a tour, you can buy a 2000 yen pass that lets you ride it whenever you want).
3. Under some lifts stuffs roped off (probably because they dont want you clattering your head off some dudes deck while theyre sitting on the lift minding their own business).
4. the top gates when the weather is truly crappy, or after 2pm)
And thats about it. The roped off areas account for almost none of the total area of the place. You can ride through all kinds of natural terrain. Go see my loved up review for details :)
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 5:16am
oh, and niseko versus hakuba.

Honestly, i really believe that niseko feels much more australian. possibly because i arrived at niseko during chinese new year, but it felt definitely a bit more international. Hakuba on the other hand is pure australia.

Saying all that though, neither is particularly bad. Now i might be sounding a bit cynical here, but really what youre dealing with are a lot of people just trying to get some core points. Both are great fun. And both have more than enough places where you can stay if you want to avoid the party thing. But the party thing isnt that bad either. Ive never ever got any bad vibes no matter where ive been. People are pretty much peaceful no matter where they are, they just want to enjoy themselves and they dont get up in yoru face about it if you dont want that. It's hardly the bigg market (notorious crappy fighty/party place in newcastle, uk) on a saturday night :) Its just people all having a laugh and enjoying themselves.

So my advice is 'don't stress about that side of things at all. Theres enough variation of things to do. Plus the pair of them are the same... if you want japan, go to nozawa or shiga' :)
m00m
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 5:29am
Thanks ippollite, your info has been invaluable.

I think I'm more inclined to go for Hakuba now, the transportation is less of a hassle compared with niseko and I am sure I will get good snow, Japan snow beats Aussie/NZ snow any day.

will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 2:17am
Originally posted by kyk7899

Thanks ippollite, your info has been invaluable. I think I'm more inclined to go for Hakuba now, the transportation is less of a hassle compared with niseko and I am sure I will get good snow, Japan snow beats Aussie/NZ snow any day.

Don't count on that fact. We had two weeks in Hakuba, middle of Jan, and had a constant melt/freeze cycle going the entire length of our stay. For example, the bottom third of Happo was not even worth riding because it was rock hard sheet ice in the morning and like a swimming pool in the arvo, middle third was very similar to Aus conditions, and the top third stayed cold enough for most of the time to not cause too many issues. 20cm of snow fell for the entire length of our stay
dxdx View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote dxdx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 5:17am
Originally posted by will_mcc1

Originally posted by kyk7899

Thanks ippollite, your info has been invaluable. I think I'm more inclined to go for Hakuba now, the transportation is less of a hassle compared with niseko and I am sure I will get good snow, Japan snow beats Aussie/NZ snow any day.

Don't count on that fact. We had two weeks in Hakuba, middle of Jan, and had a constant melt/freeze cycle going the entire length of our stay. For example, the bottom third of Happo was not even worth riding because it was rock hard sheet ice in the morning and like a swimming pool in the arvo, middle third was very similar to Aus conditions, and the top third stayed cold enough for most of the time to not cause too many issues. 20cm of snow fell for the entire length of our stay

When were you there?

I'm planning a trip to Hakuba too, will be going in the middle of Feb. i was leaning towards Niseko but a mate of mine insists that we stay in Tokyo, so Hakuba became the natural alternative since it was much cheaper to just go from Tokyo to Hakuba.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 5:55am
nagano is just luck of the draw unfortunately. Sometimes youll get weeks of endless pow, sometimes youll get three or four weeks in th emiddle of peak season with nothing. 2005/6 was HUGE (i only know because the snow was everywhere), 06/07 dunno, 07/08 was kinda nice but nothing special, 08/09 (when i moved to nagano) SUCKED, really sucked, and 09/10 sucked from mid jan to the end of january according to everyone who was there when i arrived (start of feb). The week i turned up it got puked on! :)

really as a rule of thumb (from my experience) you'll likely get a dump every twp-three weeks. If youre there for three weeks, youve got a decent chance of at least one dump. Anything less than that and theres the horrible prospect you might get stuck between 2 dumps. :( Nagano has been on the whole pretty lame the last few seasons.   
m00m
Gf_intelligence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gf_intelligence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 6:19am
how much cheaper?

tokyo haneda airport to sapporo chitose is about $100 one way all year round
get cheap accomodation in sapporo (should be a lot cheaper than nisekso if ur looking at anything other than group sharing), rip up city nights, meet locals and pretty girls, drink and catch the train to and from sapp to niseko each day.
icicles View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote icicles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ippollite

nagano is just luck of the draw unfortunately. Sometimes youll get weeks of endless pow, sometimes youll get three or four weeks in th emiddle of peak season with nothing. 2005/6 was HUGE (i only know because the snow was everywhere), 06/07 dunno, 07/08 was kinda nice but nothing special, 08/09 (when i moved to nagano) SUCKED, really sucked, and 09/10 sucked from mid jan to the end of january according to everyone who was there when i arrived (start of feb). The week i turned up it got puked on! :)

really as a rule of thumb (from my experience) you'll likely get a dump every twp-three weeks. If youre there for three weeks, youve got a decent chance of at least one dump. Anything less than that and theres the horrible prospect you might get stuck between 2 dumps. :( Nagano has been on the whole pretty lame the last few seasons.   

So, if I'm going for a 6 days ski trip, which one would you recommend? Niseko or Hakuba?

thanks

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2010 at 10:27pm
if all thing are equal, then niseko by a long way.
m00m
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:41am
AHOI!

Any sickos here actually got jobs confirmed in Japan for the 10/11 season approaching, I just got my Visa in the mail this week and will be heading to Hakuba around 6/7th Dec for some Frothies and Sweet as kickers!

Hopefully will have a Stairmaster Extreme by then so I can party with the party pandas, FROTHHH!
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:43am
Also anyone got tips of how I should go about getting to Hakuba from Tokyo, is bullet train the best option?
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:43am
For you Aussies flying over to Japan, who are you flying with? Which airlines have extra baggage allowances for sports bags that don't fall under the 20kg 'normal' allowance?
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:44am
Getting from Tokyo to Hakuba, either Hakubus or Bullet train. Although I think the bullet train is a little more expensive.
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:46am
I'm looking to fly with Jetstar to Tokyo from the Goldy and they have like a 20Kilo+sporting goods I've been told and its like around the $500AU mark for beginning of December. Need to book that shiz soon before they crank that up.
MadSLOOPYyo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MadSLOOPYyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:51am
i hate all of ya that been to JAPANor GOING.....Angry
MadSLOOPYyo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MadSLOOPYyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:53am
LET ME STOP HATING...ENJOY THE RAMEN, SUSHI, CULTURE....and MOST IMPORTANTLY THE WOMEN... WISH TO GO THERE ONE DAY.Cry
hankook78 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote hankook78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 3:54am
hahahahahahahahahaha..................
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 4:58am
Im looking forward to gettin nude in the osens, OHOHOHO! just kiddin,

Got my job all confirmed earlier in the week im there from early dec till the end of march, then gonna head off and do the touristy stuff in tokyo after with hopefully my new friends I meet there :)

GURU!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 5:09am
Also anyone got tips of how I should go about getting to Hakuba from Tokyo, is bullet train the best option?

You can shink from tokyo to nagano, and then head from nagano to hakuba by bus :)
m00m
icicles View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote icicles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 7:22pm
I'm planning to stay in Tokyo for few days after a trip to Hakuba.can anyone suggest accommodation to stay in Tokyo?

Thanks
mr3vak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the beast inside is out

Quote mr3vak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 7:29pm
Hokkaido, the north island is where the best powder is at.

If you want an all mountain experience then hit up Ishiuchi Mariyama, which I did last year and it was shtooking sick! Park had lots of features, lifts were just fine, lots of runs, tabletops had amazing transitions and over all were just sweeeett! They had two halfpipes, both were dragon cut (i think thats what its called).

I hope you make it over here and have a down right blast!

Take care and safe travels, mike.
mr3vak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
the beast inside is out

Quote mr3vak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 7:34pm
oh and just so you know I am here at Yokota AirBase and I will be riding this winter where ever I can so if you wanna ride just hit me up on here! or try my email (just put it all together, i spaced it for spammer reasons)

mr 3 v a k @ g   ma i l . co m
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2010 at 11:17pm
coolies ippo, thanks I will look into it, though I'm considering payin the extra dollars just for the experience of the bullet train, saweeeeeet!
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/10/2010 at 2:16pm
sorry, been in japan so long i forget that people don't autmatically know what a shink is :p

Shink is shinkansen which is the japanese word for the bullet train :)
m00m
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:06am
ippy,

Im thinking of staying at snowbeds at Hakuba.....yay or nay? Or you have no idea?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:17am
no idea unfortunately. Got a link to it? i can maybe give you an idea where it is in relation to the lifts but thats about it :)

Found it. Seems youll be shuttle bussing :) If you can cut over that river though (i cant remember if theres a bridge near you), you wont be too far from 47, which is kinda neat. And you arent terribly out of the way for a mission into the center of echoland so again, no problem there. If there is a bridge near where you are, youve maybe found yoruself a nice place. You can get to both resorts relatively easy. You can also get into happo at night, so thats not too bad, but happo is kinda big and youll have a fair shank home :)
m00m
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:20am
http://www.skijapantravel.com/package/snowbeds-backpackers---7-nights

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:24am
oooh, you're twitchier than me on the interweb :) see the edit above :)
m00m
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:28am
I'm the twitchiest on the web.

happo for the night life? or night skiing or both? How far is a  'fair shank' back home?
Also, how does one go about booking shink tickets to Hakuba? I've just realised that check in times aren't at 1:00am for snowbeds and that is the time that hakubus arrives in Hakuba.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:35am
kk - 7 days pass = 3 day happy 7 ticket (http://www.hakuba47.co.jp/winter/en/ticket/)

= 12,500*2 = 25k
Transport to and from nagano = 3000yen (1500 each way)

so whats that? 7 nights accommodation will be 64,500-28,000 = 36,500 = about 5,400yen per night...

hmmmmmm... kinda okay i guess if its nice. But really you might be able to get a way better deal somewhere else in truth.
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:39am
night skiing SUCKS ASS at hakuba AND happo. I made the mistake and tried both of them. Absolutely save your money unless you really have to ride.

If you must ride a nighta, go here instead :)

yanaba

As for check in times, just tell them youll be arriving late and most people will make sure you get in somewhere.

Oh and echoland is the centre of everything in hakuba. But also goryu has a smaller scale area as well (nothing on the same scale, but has a few decent bars to get drunk and meet people in and probably for that reason its a little more intimate)
m00m
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:51am
Mt Hakuba Backpackers? The Nozawa accommodation plus lift pass is even more expensive than Hakuba. 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 2:59am
yeah nozawa is WAY more in demand. Hakuba has a good reputation in foreign circles so it kinda skews the way we all see it here, but with japanese people Nozawa is WAY more interesting (they're right by the way :) (ippy hakuba dig #3,548)).

Its also owned by the locals so yeah youre getting a cultural experience into the bargain. I stayed at the apple inn or something like that, and every damn day they brought us in nice cup of tea and freshly cut apples :) being cheapskates we didnt want the breakfast option (can of chu-hi thanks!) but clearly they were so lovely and felt we weren't being looked after properly if they didnt bring us at least a cup of tea. It cost like 3500yen/night and they even had discount lift tickets... but i digress. Hakuba is GARBAGE unless youre an oyaji that wants to bomb down happo and scare the crap out of everyone as you silently whip past them at 80mph.
Nozawa is the spiritual heart of nagano and maybe even japanese skiing. So its a bit more pricey, but its way worth it.

Oh, and do you mean hakuba backpackers? Its where i always stay :) well cheap, no frills, but yeah if youre on a budget, its going to save you a fortune, plus youre near the train tracks as well (or you can stay at tracks bar and be near the er, main bar in goryu :))

m00m
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 5:16am
I've also heard that night skiing is absolutely terrible as all the tracks are completely destoryed and it's just filled with people who just want to get in your way. Are there any bars that operate on the mountain when night skiing is on? I've just done a season in St Anton, Austria and they love there drunken ski down the mountain after way to many beers. Just curious anything like that in Hakuba?

Booked my flight today, off to Hakuba on the 6th Dec Till end of March :) Joy...
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 3:49pm
not really, but there is always a combini selling chu-hi. Nothing makes you snowboard better than a few cans of chu hi on a nighta :)
m00m
kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 4:31pm
Ippy,

Which is better Mt Hakuba Backpackers or K's House? Im leaning towards K's House because it is cheaper...but how much of a hike is it to echoland and the closest ski resort (I think i remember you saying it was 47/goryu)?

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 10:04pm
ah i see that mt hakuba is a different place. Looks like its in echoland, so shouldnt be a problem in truth. K's is at goryu (unless theres another one opened in echoland i dont know about).

So basically one of them situates you closer to happo1 (mthakuba) and echoland
and the other situates you at hakuba goryu/47 (k's) and the smaller night life. Your call really. I only stay at goryu because happo doesnt really interest me that much even if it is "bigger".
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2010 at 10:16pm
m00m
cleybruz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote cleybruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/12/2010 at 3:46am
Can't Wait :)
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2010 at 7:43am
i just booked my flight to japan...  I plan on spending a week at Niseko and then another week in nagano.  

couple questions...
1. is it easy to get to Niseko if I stay in sapporo?  How long does it take to get to Niseko from Sapporo?
2. What's better in Nagano?  thinking about nowzawa, shiga, and myoko.
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/13/2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by mech9t5

1. is it easy to get to Niseko if I stay in sapporo?  How long does it take to get to Niseko from Sapporo?

Buses run directly from the Chitose Airport (Sapporo) to Niseko. It's about 1 and a half hours (weather dependent) and is pretty easy to organise on the web, or you can do it in person at the airport - most operators have English speaking staff that can help you out. I wouldn't bother staying in Sapporo, you may as well just get straight on the bus and get all the traveling over and done with.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2010 at 4:52am
Originally posted by will_mcc1

Originally posted by mech9t5

Buses run directly from the Chitose Airport (Sapporo) to Niseko. It's about 1 and a half hours (weather dependent) and is pretty easy to organise on the web, or you can do it in person at the airport - most operators have English speaking staff that can help you out. I wouldn't bother staying in Sapporo, you may as well just get straight on the bus and get all the traveling over and done with.

thanks.  I was doing some reading and it is not an easy commute between sapporo and niseko.  Someone earlier posted that you could stay in Sapporo and commute to niseko... doesn't sound like a good idea.
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2010 at 3:35pm
If you had your own car then you could probably do it, but it would be a pain in the ass of epic proportions. And you are looking at least 3 hours driving a day between the hill and Sapporo.

If you were not wanting to stay in Hirafu Village (The main village at Niseko) because you feel accomodation might be too expensive, don't discount staying in Kutchan. Its the closest town to the resort, and is only a ten minute bus ride away. It will be a lot more Japanese than Hirafu
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2010 at 3:57pm
thanks for that tip will_MCC

is furano worth visiting?
besides boarding is there much else there?

so far ive only looked at staying at rusutsu and niseko

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/14/2010 at 4:17pm
Ive been doing a spot of research about this because my plans this year are to hit central hokkaido rather than niseko/rusutsu area. It seems like furano is definitely a good choice. Im probably going to base myself there. A few years ago, it probably wasnt so much, but now they have a more tolerant policy on sidecountry stuff. In fact i sent an email to their info desk and got this nice reply:

it is nice to hear that you are coming to Central Hokkaido to ski/board for 3 weeks or so.

There isn't a season pass that covers all the resorts.
There is however a multi resort pass.
5 to 7 day Furano lift ticket will give you the option to ski either Kamui or Tomamu.
8 day+ lift ticket will allow you to ski both Kamui and Tomamu.
There are shuttle buses from Furano to Kamui and Tomamu on certain days of the week.

Furano season pass is 56,000 yen
Kamui season pass is 50,000 yen

Furano's out of bounds policy is a difficult question.
Furano's policy has not changed in regards to riding out of bounds. It is still not allowed unless you have a guide.
I have only been here for one ski season. People do ski out of bounds(including myself) and some have been caught last year but no one lost their pass last season.Just a few warnings.
In the past I have heard it was strictIy enforced, lots of ski patrols(not so many now), people loosing passes etc.
Furano ski resort is leaving more ungroomed runs and an has an increase in guided backcountry tour groups getting permission to go out of bounds.
In time I believe it will allow skiing out of bounds like Kamui or Tomamu but this is not the case just yet.
I hope that answers your question.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

And also nearish by, you have kamui, which is kind of THE powder dump in hokkaido. If you want pow, as in pow that makes 'niseko look like nagano' pow, then you need to check that place out.

(oh and its a self contained little town so expect the usual stuff - a few bars, plenty of eateries etc. It wont be hirafu or echoland, but there will still be stuff for you to do. If you go to kamui, you get to stay at asahikawa which is a nice big city (kamui has no accomodation at the hill itself, you have to stay asahikawa and shuttle there), and that will have most of what you need.
m00m
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2010 at 6:08pm
Kamui you say
looked at the lift ticket prices for 1 day
3000 yen Big smile (approx 38 AUD)
oh dear god why cant we pay this price in australia lol

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2010 at 6:29pm
I'm off there in early feb, only in in tokyo for 3 days after 7 days in hakuba, would it be a good idea to extend my stay and checking out tokyo for a few more days or would 3 be enough?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2010 at 9:15pm
3 days in tokyo is fine. Youll get to see most of the stuff you needs to see (shinjuku/shibuya/harajuku/roppongi(cess pool)/akihabara(if youre a geek)/asakusa/kamakura(if you really want ye olde kyoto type experience).

Actually that reminds me, there was an article in the guardian the other day entirely about tokyo... hang on, ill dig it out :)

Here you go:

why tokyo is top
m00m
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 1:00am
thanks ippollite, much appreciated!

I've heard that theres a few different areas in tokyo, one which filled with a lot of younger people then the others which are populated by generally older people, any ideas on that? really, my group just wants the places which have the best nightlife.. haha
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 1:14am
depends what youre after. Roppongi is the absolute ZOMG!!! nightlife. Shibuya has the most eateries and izakaya type places, and also has Womb :)

One of the best clubs though is fekkin miles away from anywhere if thats what youre after: ageha.

oh ffs! just looked at their listings and they have a drumcode special this saturday.

I swear every time i was in japan i always missed the best djs, and from out of nowhere here i am doing it again: adam beyer and cari lekebush. Oh and they just had underworld on the 10th :)

Still got to see laurent garnier there, so nothing to grumble about :)

Anyways, whenever i tried to go clubbing in tokyo i always kinda failed unless i went to ageha. What im trying to say is work out where you want to be at a certain time and get there. Once you get to about 11pm and youre in the wrong district, finding clubs becomes a huge pain in the ass.

tokyo (and osaka) listings

Anyway, as i say, it depends what youre after? If youre after a gaijin mayhem thing go to roppongi. Itrs a fekking cess pool though, im not kidding. If youre after a solid night out at some bars maybe some karaoke and maybe a club go to shibuya.

And when you want to people watch on sunday, go to harajuku. But someone may know way more. Truth is, i always kinda disliked tokyo just because once youre stuck someplace, youre pretty much stuck there or paying a fortune in cab fares. I <3 osaka instead :) being able to walk from den den town all the way to ami-mura is how a city centre should be :)
m00m
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>