Japan 2011- info

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 10>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan 2011- info
    Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 1:26am
yeah i just had a look at roppongi, looks pretty crazy, i think we might have to spend atleast one night there..

i think i'll have to hold you to ageha though, just the few names you threw out makes it look pretty decent, although we're only going to be there monday-thursday so i don't know how much luck we'll have getting big nights/names at there.

I spose we'll just have to fumble our way around like everyone else does first time round..

i was thinking about heading to osaka too.. hopefully someone from my group is keen to or else i might have to give it a miss..

cheers again!!
:)
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 1:31am
You know Ippy. Im starting to fall in love with you. You post the most useful infomation on here. Thanks heaps for the info.
Im heading to Japan with a friend from 7-14th Feb for my second trip to snowboarding (first for my friend). Planning 4nights in Hakuba and 3 in Toyko. 

Just a small hand with decisions. 
Planning to stay at K's house which is a bit more expensive then Hakubabackpackers, but its a bit more "stylish" right? 
And which resort/mountain would be best to hit up? As noted before, my friend and I are just beginners trying snowboarding. 

Originally posted by kyk7899

Getting from Tokyo to Hakuba, either Hakubus or Bullet train. Although I think the bullet train is a little more expensive. 
Is this the bus that leaves Tokyo late night and you rock up in Hakuba early morning? 
If only Queensland had snow...
Gf_intelligence View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Gf_intelligence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 1:32am
Ippy's pretty spot on.
I don't like Roppongi personally but that's probably because I lived in japan for so long and i must admit i did love it when i first went there... It is probably the easiest place to go out in and you can walk in and out of free clubs pretty easily and do the night on the cheap.
Having said that, expect to pay to get into any club half decent and there are also ok places in roppongi which of course you pay to get into. Meet some nice girls and I'm sure they can tell you all about it
Have a walk around Shibuya at night for sure, pretty cool.
Sat night is best to be out. For me I would head to an izakaya (japanese style pub) where you can get food and also an all you can drink plan (depending on venue) to get my drink on and then hit the clubs around 11ish. like ippy said be sure to head to harajuku on sunday to watch all the kids dress up like you have never seen before.
Also, if timing works out Tsuji fish market is pretty special so if you can wake up really early (be there by at least 8 if i remember correctly) you can check out all the action and eat some of the freshest seafood in the world.
3 days is more than enough, Tokyo never sleeps so you will be hard pressed to be bored but too long there and it will all be a bit repetitive.
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 1:45am
Just take the direct bus to ageha if you're heading there. And when u get there, make sure to grab one of the tickets for a bus headed back.

Oh and personally I think ageha is lame unless it's having one of its special event nights: ie - guest DJ like tiesto or armin van buren or whoever.... or bikini nights or g ay nights. Then it's a blast.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 2:43am
thanks koji i try my best :) But my tokyo knowledge is way less than my osaka knowledge... actually my osaka knowledge is pretty much restricted to wandering around the triangle all day and all night because frankly its the best place outside of a ski field in japan. :)

As for your question. if you want a bit longer stay and you're on your own you might be better at the alps (hakuba backpackers), not least because you will feel more connected to the central social life in goryu since troy and sakiko run tracks bar. But much as i love them to bits, yeah K's does have a few more creature comforts and is a hell of a lot brighter and cheerier :) Plus the guys running it were just so kind it also makes you embarrassed to have them running around doing stuff to help you out :) Love both places, but for different reasons.

As for the best mountain to play on, goryu 47 is going to blow your mind. Happo1 is bigger, but goryu/47 is WAY better if you ask me.

Now heres a tip for beginners, DO NOT ride toomi (you wont know what that is until you get there), not because its bad, its actually AWESOME for beginners, (in fact theres probably not a better run outside of maybe ikenotaira at myoko), the trouble with it is that people are inherently lazy, so they ride that nice big lift to the top and sit on that run all day. Instead go the 50 yards to your skiers left and youll see a run just as wide as toomi called iimori. Only NO ONE bothers sliding on it except people coming down through the red runs :) So youll more than likely have an entire run to you and the other 4 people with the brains to avoid the massive crowd on toomi :)

Oh, and your whole objective is to get good enough in those three days to do the big long green run that comes down the skiers left hand side of the map. Its a big long path, and paths are kinda scary, so dont go on it until youre okay with turning and stopping. It does have some drops in places, but i promise you, once youre able to control the board a bit, the view of the mountains at that side is going to blow your mind.

(facebook photos never quite do it justice :))

A bit of scale:

Yamas:

Park Rats:

Hakupow:

Anyways, theres some idea of the view. Im kinda glad it doesnt do it justice though, because when you're there your jaw will hit the floor :)

Heres the trail run. Its the big green looping trail on the right hand side of the map as you look at it (though skiers left if youre at the top of the mountain looking down). Its called the panorama course if i remember right :)

I always slate hakuba partly because its funny, but mainly because its almost home so im allowed to. But honestly, if its yoru first time there youre going to have a freaking blast! id be jealous, but im going here instead:

m00m
tw0scoops View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tw0scoops Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 3:23am
Originally posted by ippollite

thanks koji i try my best :) But my tokyo knowledge is way less than my osaka knowledge... actually my osaka knowledge is pretty much restricted to wandering around the triangle all day and all night because frankly its the best place outside of a ski field in japan. :)

As for your question. if you want a bit longer stay and you're on your own you might be better at the alps (hakuba backpackers), not least because you will feel more connected to the central social life in goryu since troy and sakiko run tracks bar. But much as i love them to bits, yeah K's does have a few more creature comforts and is a hell of a lot brighter and cheerier :) Plus the guys running it were just so kind it also makes you embarrassed to have them running around doing stuff to help you out :) Love both places, but for different reasons.

As for the best mountain to play on, goryu 47 is going to blow your mind. Happo1 is bigger, but goryu/47 is WAY better if you ask me.

Now heres a tip for beginners, DO NOT ride toomi (you wont know what that is until you get there), not because its bad, its actually AWESOME for beginners, (in fact theres probably not a better run outside of maybe ikenotaira at myoko), the trouble with it is that people are inherently lazy, so they ride that nice big lift to the top and sit on that run all day. Instead go the 50 yards to your skiers left and youll see a run just as wide as toomi called iimori. Only NO ONE bothers sliding on it except people coming down through the red runs :) So youll more than likely have an entire run to you and the other 4 people with the brains to avoid the massive crowd on toomi :)

Oh, and your whole objective is to get good enough in those three days to do the big long green run that comes down the skiers left hand side of the map. Its a big long path, and paths are kinda scary, so dont go on it until youre okay with turning and stopping. It does have some drops in places, but i promise you, once youre able to control the board a bit, the view of the mountains at that side is going to blow your mind.

(facebook photos never quite do it justice :))

A bit of scale: 

Yamas: 

Park Rats: 

Hakupow: 

Anyways, theres some idea of the view. Im kinda glad it doesnt do it justice though, because when you're there your jaw will hit the floor :)

Heres the trail run. Its the big green looping trail on the right hand side of the map as you look at it (though skiers left if youre at the top of the mountain looking down). Its called the panorama course if i remember right :) 

I always slate hakuba partly because its funny, but mainly because its almost home so im allowed to. But honestly, if its yoru first time there youre going to have a freaking blast! id be jealous, but im going here instead: 

Holy crap, that's sum deep pow in that video...looks like they almost disappeared in it on a few runs...right up to their head, lol.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 5:58am
I'm planning on staying in Niseko for 7 days... after reading a bit about Furano, any opinions on whether or not I should take a couple days and do Furano?  Furano is a lot smaller than Niseko?   I have never been to either, just wondering if it's worth the extra travel time or just stay in Niseko.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 8:20am
Any of you guys have any advise on hostels or cheap accommodations at Myoko Kogen?

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 4:22pm
on furano i really wouldnt bother. Unless youre the type of person that just needs to see lots of different places, theres really nothing you can do there that you wont be able to do at niseko (except maybe avoid bogans).

If you need a different experience, just head to rusutsu, its much closer and you wont feel like youre wasting part of your time travelling there and back.

As for the second question, i wish i had an answer on that, but i lived near myoko so never bothered finding accomodation. I remember some place called canada house or something like that which i think was the only english speaking place i came across at the time.

canadian house

I remember it being a bit out of the way though and looking at the site now it seems to have shot up a bit in price.

Myoko Hotels

snow japans list

rakutens crap english list

trip advisor list

Best i can do at the minute. A good is to head to snowjapan and see what people recommend. I remember ikenotaira main center having rooms, but not 100% sure on that.
m00m
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 4:40pm
Just a word of warning on a topic a few days back. Roppongi is the "tourist" place to go out in Tokyo, so to put it plainly its dodgy as crap and expensive. We visited there on one of our 4 nights in Tokyo, and jeez was the place a hell hole. You couldn't walk five metres without being hassled by an African guy wanting you to go into their club (they all offered us "special prices") and subsequently abused when you said "no". We spoke to an aussie expat on the train on the way back to the backpackers and he said that it was, at one time, an alright place to go out - albeit a bit cheesy - but in recent years a lot of places have been taken over by shadier characters. Two weeks later a mate of ours got his drink spiked at Gaspanic (the biggest club in Roppongi) and had his credit card charged for $600, which apparently is becoming more and more familiar.

I'm sure good times can be had there, but just have your wits about you
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 4:54pm
^^ Yes, totally agreed on the African guys. They are getting pretty bad recently. They're always hassling foreigners walking around to get them to come to their clubs. Not only outside the clubs, but I've had friends harassed inside the club by them. I have no idea why the clubs hire these guys... do they think foreigners will go to a club just cus a black guy pretending to be from Brooklyn(hahaha, yes one obviously African guy was saying he was born in Brooklyn) is pushing them into a club?

Oh and never use credit cards in clubs in Japan. Just use cash. Japan is pretty safe for muggings and pickpockets so it's fine to bring a little more cash than you usually would. Don't go nuts and bring  $1000 or anything but a hundred or a few hundred is fine imo.

kyk7899 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kyk7899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by koji3

You know Ippy. Im starting to fall in love with you. You post the most useful infomation on here. Thanks heaps for the info.
Im heading to Japan with a friend from 7-14th Feb for my second trip to snowboarding (first for my friend). Planning 4nights in Hakuba and 3 in Toyko. 

Just a small hand with decisions. 
Planning to stay at K's house which is a bit more expensive then Hakubabackpackers, but its a bit more "stylish" right? 
And which resort/mountain would be best to hit up? As noted before, my friend and I are just beginners trying snowboarding. 

Originally posted by kyk7899

Getting from Tokyo to Hakuba, either Hakubus or Bullet train. Although I think the bullet train is a little more expensive. 
Is this the bus that leaves Tokyo late night and you rock up in Hakuba early morning? 

Yes, I believe that is the bus that leaves Narita at like 8:30pm.

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 6:08pm
roppongi, as the article said is a "dangerous place" in tokyo. But its your number one destination for meeting people. Izakaya are great, but they package you off a lot into your groups which can be a pain if youre wanting to meet lots of people. And in the middle of winter its not like youll be getting drunk outside and randomly meeting folk. Roppongi on the other hand has more stuff catering towards serendipity and the western way of doing things (big crowded bars and clubs).

Gas panic is the worst fekkin place on planet earth though. It does howvere HAVE to be seen to be believed. I went there ONCE. Only once, and only for thirty minutes. And it was only thirty minutes because it took me that long to get the hell back out of the place. Ive never seen such a death trap waiting to happen. Im not entirely anal, but the only words going through my head was "this place is a serious fire risk".

I am also confused how a place where you literally cant move is so damn popular as a meat market? Gaijin are fekkin weird if you ask me... And they dont get any weirder in japan than a roppongi gaijin.

Anyone who has lived in japan goes there maybe once or twice, but then avoids it :) Still, as i say, if youre only here for a few days, just because you may feel a little uncomfortable with the more japanese approach to a night out (you and your mates in a nice little izakaya booth, then you and your mates in a nice little karaoke booth, then you and your mates shouting HARRO at me in the street before heading to a nice ramen bar then hitting a taxi and heading home). Its pretty atomised. But its also awesome if youve got a good group of mates with you.

Nomihodai (which youll get in an izakaya) is the best thing in the universe!!!
It means all you can drink for a set time. EVERYONE has to do it or no one does it. Japanese people, i have been led to believe, dont exploit it like we do :) But so long as you keep ordering food (and izakaya food is the best! (but expensive))
no will give a crap.

If you do find an izakaya try and find one with a more open seating plan. If its pretty dark at the entrance, inside it'll often be booths which kinda sucks if you want to meet people. If you can see from the entrance lots of tables then its a bit more fun :) Japanese people are pretty friendly so likely if you look like youre having a bit of fun, theyll probably start chatting away to you :)

Ah, all the cultural stereotyping is coming out now :)

Basically roppongi more bars that youre going to be used to, but also assholes, ridiculous prices, and kinda dodgy cant quite put your finger on it volatile atmosphere.

Shibuya has much nicer more japanese night life. Lots of izakaya, lots of karaoke, and lots of clubs. Oh and lots of late night ramen bars :p
Oh, and also lots of young 20 something japanese people.

Basically so long as you go to ANYWHERE in tokyo except roppongi or kabukicho (a small sukebe (pervert) district in shinjuku) it'll be all japanese style.   
m00m
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2010 at 8:39pm
Also, expect to catch yellow fever in Tokyo...
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 3:15am
this is so confusing, theres so many different opinions on roppongi, guess we'll just have to check it out and make our own mind up!

oh and koji3, i'm there from the 7th -14th too, i spoke to dave from mt hakuba backpackers and the hakbus is meant to leave around 8ish but will wait around if your flights delayed. judging by some of the prices ive seen for the bullet train, its much cheaper/easier using the bus because theres no messing around with changing trains/buses etc and it drops you right on the doorstep which is really what you want at 1am in the middle of winter..

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 5:24am
no no,. There is only one opinion on roppongi:

It is a cesspit.
Its the very worst that japan has to offer.

But its also the most comfortable and easily accessible midway house for a tourist coming to japan who might feel a little over-awed by the japanese way of doing stuff.
Think of roppongi then like mcdonalds: A place that makes a city feel normal and saves you having to eat that "weird foreign muck!" But its also food you know is god awful and you wouldnt go out of your way to find if you were back home (nor would you make it part of a healthy diet or lifestyle).
m00m
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 8:52am

on furano i really wouldnt bother. Unless youre the type of person that just needs to see lots of different places, theres really nothing you can do there that you wont be able to do at niseko (except maybe avoid bogans).

If you need a different experience, just head to rusutsu, its much closer and you wont feel like youre wasting part of your time travelling there and back.

As for the second question, i wish i had an answer on that, but i lived near myoko so never bothered finding accomodation. I remember some place called canada house or something like that which i think was the only english speaking place i came across at the time.

canadian house

I remember it being a bit out of the way though and looking at the site now it seems to have shot up a bit in price.

Myoko Hotels

snow japans list

rakutens crap english list

trip advisor list

Best i can do at the minute. A good is to head to snowjapan and see what people recommend. I remember ikenotaira main center having rooms, but not 100% sure on that.

thanks.  I'll do some more digging.

Any easy way to get from Niseko to rusutsu?
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2010 at 2:35pm
im pretty sure theres a bus that goes there so it shouldnt be too much bother.
m00m
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/21/2010 at 6:17am

thanks.  I think I will just go to niseko and figure it out when I am there. I figure it is pretty close so I could do a day trip if it is convenient.
will_mcc1 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote will_mcc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2010 at 2:54am
Originally posted by mech9t5

thanks.  I think I will just go to niseko and figure it out when I am there. I figure it is pretty close so I could do a day trip if it is convenient.

About 45 mins each way. Very easy to do
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/06/2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by will_mcc1

About 45 mins each way. Very easy to do

thanks.  that sounds good. I will definitely try that out.
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2010 at 3:31pm

Hakupow:

hakuba looks amazing..!!!

on another note,

i'm going on this tour i went in feb. hop on this tour NOW. not gonna find rates like this anywhere else!!!

tomcason84 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote tomcason84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2010 at 9:30pm
hey mech9t5,

i'm just starting my 2nd season in niseko, it is easy to get to rusutsu. Last year one of the bus companies ran a day trip deal that included your lift pass. with pass + transfers it is only a bit more than the pass would cost anyway. I think it was Big Runs buses. search on the web once the season starts or ask whoever you are staying with here. if i notice it around i'll try to get back on here to update.

it is definitely worth heading over there, especially if there has been a good dump, or if it is a bit busy at niseko. At rusutsu you'll still find untouched powder until well into the afternoon
bozo_117079 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bozo_117079 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2010 at 11:32am

I travelled from tokyo to hakuba last year by bullet train then change to bus at Nagano. Great trip. However this coming Jan ill be taking the bus from tokyo to Hakuba. Its a way cheaper option about $103 aussie dollars for a round trip. it takes about 4.5 hours. Which is not that much longer than the train when you consider with the train you still have to switch to a bus.

Here's the time table

Hotel Alpu has been a good budget option in the past for me. cheap but very comfortable.
And its right near the gondella.

I am looking for a car hire company right in Hakuba this year. Just for a day.

Anyone got any suggestions?
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 1:08am
Ok, So just a quick update, 
I have booked my trip for Japan snowboarding in for the 8th-13th of Feb. I booked to stay at K's house for the 5nights and plan to spend 4days snowboarding.

Just a few questions (looking at ippy mostly, here), Ive only ever traveled once (to NZ, my first season) so everything on travel is a bit new to me. 
From what i have seen Hakuba is pretty large (Ive only seen Methven, Mt Hutt in NZ and all it was, was one small village) and is split into different villages right? K's house being in Goryu, it would be best to head to Hakuba Goryu for my snowboarding right? But you can use a lift ticket for Hakuba Goryu and Hakuba47? So they are pretty much the same resort?
I read that there is are several free shuttle bus from the local bus stations, doing runs a few times a day. If i manage to miss one of these buses can i walk to the mountain? or is it a big hike? (<--this might seem like a dumb question)
Is it common for the mountains in Hakuba to be shut? Mt hutt, nz was closed for 2days while i went over but is known for being closed heaps. I just don't want to risk the same thing with this trip. 
Also would it be best to rent gear out from one of the local stores or from the mountain directly (for my friend)? 
And my last question, You mentioned the Toomi run, which i can see on the map, but has 2 lifts to get to the top. Would it be best to take the 2 lifts on Toomi then slide down to the Iimori run or just go straight to the Iimori lift for a shorter run (for beginners)?

Thanks in advance. :D

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 1:23am
goryu/47 os the same resort.
DO NOT GET STUCK AT 47 WHEN THE LIFTS CLOSE!!! I cant stress that enough! Just dont do it. Make your last turns at goryu :)
Its not altogether common. When its a bit of a windy day though, theyll shut down the gondola and a few of the mroe exposed areas. Only ever been to goryu once when they shut the whole thing down. It can of course happen, but its not common.
Take the toomi quad up (its nice and quick), and just slide across to iimori and lay there. No crowds at all unlike that toomi beginners run :)
Finally, ask at k's, they may have some deal with one of the rental places (most hostels tend to have someone theyre connected to for supplying gear). If not theres a really nice place just outside escal plaza (the main base at goryu), that does rentals and also does discounts if you give them a hotel on their list (k's is probably on the list). Its a pretty decent size rental place, so theyll kit you out for sure.
m00m
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2010 at 1:28am
Thanks heaps Ippy :D 
Love you lots haha. 
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 2:22am
heading to Hakuba from feb 10 - 24, is there any runs that you highly recommand or you favs Ippy? I can ride aussie and NZ blks pretty easy but havent hit any dbl blks yet bc there usually isnt the cover, also cant remember if you already said, but which MT has a good park for beginner to intermedian?

Cheers
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 2:42am
nah, i hate hakuba :) Its too small anyway to have any 'favourite' runs. I guess if youre one of the last people on the mountain, the green run that curves all the way from the top of the mountain down to the bottom of 47 is stunningly pretty (panorama course).

The absolute worst run is the double black that just comes off the main toomi area (champion expert). I finally got to ride it this year and it was all really deep HARD pack moguls. Its damn steep as well... i reckon i almost broke my ankle on a particularly heavy tumble. :)

The ungroomed run (adventure course) is fun. But the gate isnt always open, and even if it is, chances are youll ski right past it trying to find the damn thing. It is literally a small break in the fence. :)

I guess R-1 is fun. Its a serious bomb run. Youll get some incredible speed on that course, BUT the place tends to get wind blasted a bit more, so a lot of it is solid ice. It took me to last year to run it without falling on it :)

As for park, the best park in all of hakuba is at 47. Another park that looks like fun though is yanaba which is a short train ride away. Its just one course thats a park. Thats it. Its cheap, and its a great nighta (unlike happo or hakuba - both their night skiing sucks).
m00m
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2010 at 5:41am
Originally posted by tomcason84

hey mech9t5,

i'm just starting my 2nd season in niseko, it is easy to get to rusutsu. Last year one of the bus companies ran a day trip deal that included your lift pass. with pass + transfers it is only a bit more than the pass would cost anyway. I think it was Big Runs buses. search on the web once the season starts or ask whoever you are staying with here. if i notice it around i'll try to get back on here to update.

it is definitely worth heading over there, especially if there has been a good dump, or if it is a bit busy at niseko. At rusutsu you'll still find untouched powder until well into the afternoon

thanks.  I've copied down the name of the bus.  I figure, I will play it by ear when I get there since it is an easy day trip. 
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 2:30am
I've read that the legal drinking age in Japan is 20. Me and my friend are 19... You think that most of the store employees will check ID? 
I can live without it but a bit of booze won't harm my trip. :D
gofeman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
meeeee

Quote gofeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 2:48am

I've read that the legal drinking age in Japan is 20. Me and my friend are 19... You think that most of the store employees will check ID? 

My dad has been to Japan and says that he's seen 16 yearolds at bars....
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2010 at 4:23am
Originally posted by gofeman

My dad has been to Japan and says that he's seen 16 yearolds at bars....

they're def not as strict out there. but that's because people don't abuse the law (generally)..
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/01/2010 at 2:43am
Bit late on the reply, but thanks guys :D ^^
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2010 at 3:28pm
doop de doop de doop.

3 more weeks. tum te tum. On the 7th January i, ippy inutil, will be flying to tokyo at 9ish in the evening. Then stuck at tokyo from 11 to 6am, then flying tokyo to sapporo arriving around 10am on the 8th.

Then i will be staying in niseko for 5 days with my mate at niseko powder lodge, then on the 11th and 12th its an avi course. Then after that i only have 3 and a half more weeks to er plan and organise accommodatyion for and im all set.

I really shouldnt leave this stuff to the last minute. If i score cheap accommodation on day 1 of niseko, ill go with my niseko plan. If i dont, then im off to furano for the next few weeks :)

Now just to decide which board to leave behind (bear in mind im carrying thsi crap).

164 charlie slasher (is coming, no question! I bought it for hokk pow of course im bringing it).

So really its two of these three:

155 Bataleon Airobic
156 Sierrascope
157 Quiver killer.

Im think of leaving behind the sierrascope in truth.
I rode it last year on niseko and though its great fun for everything i have to remember i bought the quiver killer PRECISELY because i wanted something less loose and can handle a bit of pow at the same time. Plus i really want to see how that airobic feels just messing around in the park.
m00m
Ausved View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Ausved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 12:22am
Travel from Tokyo airport to Hakuba or Osaka airport to Hakuba
Trying to find info about prices to catch a bus the ENTIRE length to save messing around with all my gear on a train etc. Flights im looking at arrive a like 6:40pm. Would be ideal to get on a shuttle that night and arrive at the hotel the next morning.
Also if anyone knows approx. prices for some sort of taxi transfer or any other private charter, would be either on my own or with 2-3 other mates (depending what day they arrive).
If its easy to travel from osaka would fly into their because its a fair bit cheaper:)

Any info would be excellent:)
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 12:28am
^^ You can go from Narita Airport (toyko) and catch a shuttle to Hakuba, overnight. Leaves at like 8pm or something and arrives at 10am or something in hakuba next day. Cost was like 130 or something, (might be way more).
Ill link you the site if i can when i get home, as all of this info is off the top of my head. I saw this when i was looking at transportation methods to hakuba for my trip. 
Edit** Sorry but i crashed after work last night. 
Leaves at 8pm from Narita Airport (Tokyo) and arrives 1am in Hakuba. Cost is 12,000yen, Approximately $135 Aus?

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 1:18am
holy crap, what the hell does that bus do? Its a 4 hour journey MAX. Does it pop up to zao first or something?
m00m
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 1:55am
how the sierrascope handle pow ? got the 156 mysefl and it's my 1st RC board so barely got used to it as is, rode 2-3 days in aus.

but i think i'll take my 159 ride dh as well, it's a lot more stiff, less playful but rather try just use my scope

Heading up from 10 - 25 of feb i can't wait :):):) anyone else up around this time?
TunnelSnake01 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
One Piece Love

Quote TunnelSnake01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 2:00am
hey ippy, quick question mate. what's withdrawing money like in hirafu village/niseko? do many places take credit cards and are there many ATM's? or are we better off just taking lots of cash? cheers
CharlieZima View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote CharlieZima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 2:29am
Not many places take credit card in japan ... it's best if you carry cash, but of course you have to be very careful too carrying so much cash ...
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 2:31am
BRING CASH. Japan and modern banking dont mix, its really a very very cash based culture. Its also very safe, but obviously take standard precautions. I did find an ATM though at hirafu and was successful at taking cash out so that was nice, but in general keep the cards for emergencies but mainly bring cash.

Oh, and if youre thinking about travellers cheques as an alternative, just dont. Its a bizarre ass system. Youll have to find the exact bank to change them (and chances are you wont find them outside of a trip to sapporo at best - only sumiyoshi took mine).

And sheepz: The scope is AWESOME in pow, but i just felt it was a little too loose for me. If anything i found you have to really throw yourself into turns or else it just slides over the top of reasonably deep pow, which if youd want any fault on pow, youd probably want that one :) Still, part of that is lack of technique and ability, so dont take anything i say as gospel. This year im probably gonna spend a lot of time on my charlie and if i want a more cruisy bombing ride or hit the pipe, then its the qk. And i really want to see how the airobic feels. The truth is every single one of those decks has a place in my quiver and if i lived in niseko this wouldnt even be a discussion, but i dont so if i have to leave one behind its the scope. And only really because ive played with it already and just really want to play with the other three this year :) Beleive me, youll have a freaking blast on it :)
m00m
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 4:59am
Originally posted by sheepz

how the sierrascope handle pow ? got the 156 mysefl and it's my 1st RC board so barely got used to it as is, rode 2-3 days in aus.

but i think i'll take my 159 ride dh as well, it's a lot more stiff, less playful but rather try just use my scope

Heading up from 10 - 25 of feb i can't wait :):):) anyone else up around this time?

i will be in Japan Feb 13-26.  Niseko Feb 13-20, then Myoko 21-23.  then a couple days in tokyo
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 5:03am

BRING CASH. Japan and modern banking dont mix, its really a very very cash based culture. Its also very safe, but obviously take standard precautions. I did find an ATM though at hirafu and was successful at taking cash out so that was nice, but in general keep the cards for emergencies but mainly bring cash.

I thought most places would have ATMs??  I plan on putting a positive balance on my credit card and withdrawing cash from the credit card.  The exchange on a credit card is only 2.5% + $5 fee.  Better than carrying around heaps of cash.  Of course, in order to do that, there has to be an ATM around.

also, if you find a place that takes credit cards, you can ask them to charge your card and give you cash.  I do that at Mcdonalds when I travel cause they are usually ok with it.  That way you avoid the $5 fee and only pay the 2.5% exchange.
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 5:32am

I thought most places would have ATMs??  I plan on putting a positive balance on my credit card and withdrawing cash from the credit card.  The exchange on a credit card is only 2.5% + $5 fee.  Better than carrying around heaps of cash.  Of course, in order to do that, there has to be an ATM around.

also, if you find a place that takes credit cards, you can ask them to charge your card and give you cash.  I do that at Mcdonalds when I travel cause they are usually ok with it.  That way you avoid the $5 fee and only pay the 2.5% exchange.

they do have ATMs and places do accept credit/debit but in general japan is a cash based society. so you should have cash just in case. i've used my US debit card at several spots and was all good! 
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 2:16pm
7/11 is usually okayish for getting out cash (though theres some weird times of day restrictions that i never got my head around), but no, its not a card culture. Shopping at a store with a credit card usually involves people crossing their arms at you like your 5 years old. :)

Cash cash cash.

Not to mention the ATMs that close when the bank does and the ATMs that arent open on holidays because evidently even computers need a vacation.

Oh, and on a slightly unrelated point. I have never ONCE got a good deal exchanging money to japanese yen INSIDE japan. I get great deals in korea and the UK, but get absolutely terrible GOD AWFUL deals in japan. Im not just talking a few bucks here either.
m00m
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 6:20pm

7/11 is usually okayish for getting out cash (though theres some weird times of day restrictions that i never got my head around), but no, its not a card culture. Shopping at a store with a credit card usually involves people crossing their arms at you like your 5 years old. :)

Cash cash cash.

Not to mention the ATMs that close when the bank does and the ATMs that arent open on holidays because evidently even computers need a vacation.

Oh, and on a slightly unrelated point. I have never ONCE got a good deal exchanging money to japanese yen INSIDE japan. I get great deals in korea and the UK, but get absolutely terrible GOD AWFUL deals in japan. Im not just talking a few bucks here either.

cards are way too ancient for them. everyone's been paying for everything on their phones for years now...their phones are their train passes too..very convenient
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 6:21pm
ah yeah, forgot about that :)
m00m
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2010 at 6:47pm

Originally posted by sheepz

i will be in Japan Feb 13-26.  Niseko Feb 13-20, then Myoko 21-23.  then a couple days in tokyo

Will be in niseko on 6-17 Feb
then tokyo until 19th

Re: Atms
you need to find either a citibank or post office to find atms that accept aussie cards
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
Ausved View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Ausved Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2010 at 1:49am
Awsome let me know thanks mate:) Would be a great help! Also anyone got any advice on whether osaka is worth flying to if its a few hundred cheaper. And details on direct busses/taxis to hakuba!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>