Japan 2011- info

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 56789 10>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japan 2011- info
    Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 7:24pm
man just gonna miss out on MTV japan jam

hopefully do get to see Erin Mcnaught around though Smile

2006 miss australia

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 7:57pm
another question for anyone thats been, whats the tap water like? or should i buy bottled? usually go through 3-4L a day
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 8:33pm
AFAIK everytime I've been there their tap water tastes better than SA and QLD tap water. =P 

Never had a problem with Vic and NSW water tho'.

ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2011 at 9:16pm
Has anyone got access to any snow reports that try and predict what it will be like at Hakuba in the next few weeks? The next 6 days look like no snow is coming in. Hopefully we will get a huge dump before and during our trip.
::LOW INTENTIONS::
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:04am
arh cool as love my water :) haven't really been looking at the reports, they got shat loads more than aus gets thats all that matters to me :)
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:27am
Niseko is always great and has had some great powder in Jan. Best to drink bottled water otherwise you could get unlucky and spend more time in the can than on the slopes.
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:37am
Originally posted by koji3

Hey bugs where do you hunt for cheap lift tickets? I heard you can ask the hostels for a deal. Are they usually any good?

Lotta times you can find the coupons on the resort's website. Like nozawa onsen now has the coupon you print out and you save 500 yen and you get a 1000 yen lunch voucher. (so a 1500 yen deal just for printing some crap out)

You can also find cheap lift passes on yahoo auctions.... but I suppose that's only an option for those that speak Japanese.

And yes, Hakuba isn't going to be great the next week. Not sure about after... trying to predict the weather in 2 weeks is just silly. But damn, January was dang awesome for hakuba.Wink

PS - I have never had problems drinking tap water at resorts here... but then again, I don't drink too much tap water. Up to you to decide if it's worth spending all that money on bottled water.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 11:01am
Originally posted by humdingaling

ippy, yeah i read that afterwards

yeah ive just been using snowjapan

updated today
At this stage a pretty big system is expected to start affecting the region from Monday with lots of snow expected to return throughout next week.

oh sweet you may bump into me there
ill be there 6th to 17th feb

yes we might bump into each other there... I'll be riding with a sierra reverse crew with my friends who will also ALL be riding rcrews... haha. 

ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:32pm
Just another site to keep an eye on for the weather:

http://www.mountainwatch.com/Forecasts/Japan/Hakuba
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 12:38pm
hhahah my mate is riding a rc as well

i think there will be afew up there on the mountain

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 1:01pm
My mate is on the Sierra RC. I am riding a Burton Hero set it up last night... can't wait.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 1:19pm
if youre worried about water you can get a portable hiking filter. just make sure it has the correct microns to filter out anything youre afraid of.

I doubt you'll run into problems with Japan water. it's not like their a 3rd world country.
ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:01pm
Isn't water in Japan filtered by the snow monkeys fur?
dabomb View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dabomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:09pm
I've always wanted to go to Japan. Saw Shaun White's video when he went there for back country..pretty sick.
steezmastaflex View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote steezmastaflex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 2:13pm
yo watchout for those crazy japanese toilets...those things look nuts haha...no but really I'm super envious of you I wanna go to Japan really really bad...just dont have the cash
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by steezmastaflex

yo watchout for those crazy japanese toilets...those things look nuts haha...no but really I'm super envious of you I wanna go to Japan really really bad...just dont have the cash

Haha japanese toilets are funny. You have the super primitive squatters... and you have the crazy high tech ones that clean your ass, blow hot air to dry it, and make music while you poop so it doesnt bother people. And of course, the water temperature and pressure is adjustable if you have a sensitive ass. LOL
jenni View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote jenni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by bugsbunnymydad

Originally posted by steezmastaflex

Haha japanese toilets are funny. You have the super primitive squatters... and you have the crazy high tech ones that clean your ass, blow hot air to dry it, and make music while you poop so it doesnt bother people. And of course, the water temperature and pressure is adjustable if you have a sensitive ass. LOL

Talk about useless invention, here l though japanese were smart people
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 6:56pm
dont diss it till you try it Wink
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:45pm

+1

Useless would be if no one uses it...no? Considering they're in almost every building in the 3rd biggest economy in the world... Saves toilet paper if nothing else. Confused
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:50pm

+1

Useless would be if no one uses it...no? Considering they're in almost every building in the 3rd biggest economy in the world... Saves toilet paper if nothing else. Confused

Actually they're rated to be the most sanitary toilets in the world because you're not touching the toilet because think about it, how many asses sits and/or squirt on the seat before you do?  Probably a butt load before the station ever gets cleaned.  Sure you can put the toilet seat cover over it but it's not like it sterilizes the germs or you can hover above the rim but that's pretty much just like using a squatter.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
satoru View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
my board

Quote satoru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 8:02pm
seat warmers on toilets are the most awesome feature in winter.
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

+1

Actually they're rated to be the most sanitary toilets in the world because you're not touching the toilet because think about it, how many asses sits and/or squirt on the seat before you do? 

I'm assuming you're talking about the squatters? I never said they weren't clean... obviously it's sanitary since your skin isn't touching anything. But any decent restaurant/hotel with the modern toilets provide sanitizer gel+a paper seat cover...so it's pretty much moot. I was just agreeing with humdingaling about not dissing those crazy modern toilets without using em.

Anyway, let's all drop the toilet issue eh... We'll use whatever we want to use here and you use whatever you guys want to use. Happy?Tongue

And yes, LOOKS like snow will come back to Hakuba in around a week... but never trust those things. They weren't predicting heavy snowfall a few days before the big dump during that last week of January. Oh well...Im not back in Hakuba until March. I'll be headed to Gifu in Feb...ugh.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by satoru

nothing beats heated bathroom floors!
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 10:32pm

Hey bugs where do you hunt for cheap lift tickets? I heard you can ask the hostels for a deal. Are they usually any good?

Lotta times you can find the coupons on the resort's website. Like nozawa onsen now has the coupon you print out and you save 500 yen and you get a 1000 yen lunch voucher. (so a 1500 yen deal just for printing some crap out)

You can also find cheap lift passes on yahoo auctions.... but I suppose that's only an option for those that speak Japanese.

And yes, Hakuba isn't going to be great the next week. Not sure about after... trying to predict the weather in 2 weeks is just silly. But damn, January was dang awesome for hakuba.Wink

PS - I have never had problems drinking tap water at resorts here... but then again, I don't drink too much tap water. Up to you to decide if it's worth spending all that money on bottled water.
Thanks heaps for the Info bugs. I'll try on the yahoo with my limited japanese knowledge. :D

Haha, first time i used that spray and dry feature on the toilet was hilarious. I wasn't sure how it worked so i pressed a few buttons while standing up, sprayed the walls and everything. takes a bit of getting use to but its pretty good. 

If only Queensland had snow...
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 12:03am
whoop whoop less than a week for me to head off, finally started to get round waxing my boards
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 12:17am
Originally posted by jenni

Talk about useless invention, here l though japanese were smart people

buggin... they're amazeballs.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 7:32am
I am thinking of getting one of those guides for back country at niseko

anyone have any comments or experience?  Is it worth it or should I just explore myself? 

I would have to rent beacon, probes, and shovels anyway which I believe these guides will provide. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by AyChan87

Originally posted by satoru

nothing beats heated bathroom floors!

you can wear thongs into bathroom to negatate the floor
cold frigid seat however....naked butt

warmed toilet seat wins!

ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 1:31pm

Okay, I have a dilemma... I want to be in Hakuba when it pukes down. The radar isn't looking too promising just yet with rain and higher temperatures predicted in the next 7 days. But there is still some time to go for things to pick up before I arrive.

I will be there from the 12th-19th and am hoping I get a good fall of snow on these dates. I have left the second part of my trip open as my travelling buddy and I are thinking of being a bit of a tourist and checking out another city like Kyoto just to get the full Japanese experience.

If you were in my boots... what would you do

A) Book a hostel in Hakuba for a further 2 nights. K's place being the main option as they have vacancies at the moment but may not have vacancies when I decide to stay. Do I pay $80.00 just for the safe option... and then decide wether or not to stay.

B) Wing it with the accommodation if it decides to dump

C) Take in the sights of Japan and visit somewhere else.

For the information with dates... this is what I am doing:

9th of Feb Arrive in Tokyo
12th of Feb Depart Tokyo via Nagano to Hakuba
19th of Feb Due to leave Hakuba. Option to stay in Hakuba or visit another part of Japan.
23rd of Feb Fly out of Tokyo to Sydney
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by mech9t5

anyone have any comments or experience?  Is it worth it or should I just explore myself

I would have to rent beacon, probes, and shovels anyway which I believe these guides will provide. 
Never go Backcountry alone. 
Man only just checked the snow predictions. Hope that rain on the Wednesday disappears. 
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 2:03pm
personally i would take option C as i rather liked kyoto and all its wonders
(biased opinion cause i liked the temple tour cause of my religion)

yeah awaiting forecast really sucks lol
last year when we arrived to hakuba
1st week ...snowing every day
2nd week arrived in shiga kogen
no snow at all...and snow was melting!!!
when in tokyo again before leaving back to aust...it was snowing again in shiga!! FML

ar wells dont regret spending last couple of days in tokyo though had a great time being a tourist

ps this is why im going niseko this year...paying the bit extra as it is abit more consistent in snow fall

ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 2:49pm

anyone have any comments or experience? Is it worth it or should I just explore myself?

Depends where youre going in truth. if youre just hitting the first or second annupuri bowl or popping off the hanazono side youll be fine. Really its when you head to the north west and North faces you need to know where youre going and those are the places a guide would definitely come in handy. Truth is though i never made it to the second peak, when i did make it to annupuri, we just played in the front two bowls and messed around there.
m00m
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 2:58pm
ezylee if you arent committed honestly youll be knackered after a week anyway. You would be daft not to hit kyoto if this is your chance to do it. It will definitely round your trip off far more than sitting with some bogans for a few more days in hakuba :)

if you MUST snowboard though, forget hakuba and go to nozawa. Its not far and its absolutely guaranteed WAY worth it. Youll probably enjoy experiencing a more japanese flavoured resort as well. Itll be a bit of a change of pace. Hakuba is nice, but its reputation comes mainly from the fact its the most internationaly accessible resort in japan outside of niseko.

If you need to carry on boarding, i swear down, nozawa is magical.
m00m
ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by ippollite

ezylee if you arent committed honestly youll be knackered after a week anyway. You would be daft not to hit kyoto if this is your chance to do it. It will definitely round your trip off far more than sitting with some bogans for a few more days in hakuba :)

if you MUST snowboard though, forget hakuba and go to nozawa. Its not far and its absolutely guaranteed WAY worth it. Youll probably enjoy experiencing a more japanese flavoured resort as well. Itll be a bit of a change of pace. Hakuba is nice, but its reputation comes mainly from the fact its the most internationaly accessible resort in japan outside of niseko.

Yeah, that was another thing I was taking in to account. I may be buggered, and also the fact that I am just recovering from a torn knee ligament could also add to the 'just do what you initially set out to do' factor.

Thanks heaps for the suggestion for Nozawa. It didn't even occur to me to hit up another part of Japan close by... haha. I was actually booked in to Myoko originally but got a bit put off due to the fact that it is more of a traditional area and the language barrier could become a problem.
ippollite View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote ippollite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by ezylee

Yeah, that was another thing I was taking in to account. I may be buggered, and also the fact that I am just recovering from a torn knee ligament could also add to the 'just do what you initially set out to do' factor.

Thanks heaps for the suggestion for Nozawa. It didn't even occur to me to hit up another part of Japan close by... haha. I was actually booked in to Myoko originally but got a bit put off due to the fact that it is more of a traditional area and the language barrier could become a problem.

dude, i had a season pass in myoko. Dont you worry about the language barrier. Ka-re Rai-su o kudasai! is easy enough to say :)

Suginohara (myoko) is BEAUTIFUL. And seki onsen currently has a depth of snow (5meters) higher than anywhere else in japan INCLUDING hokkaido.

It also has one of the best off piste policies in nagano. Duck the ropes, no ones shouting at you or taking your pass off you. :) Go read my review and get psyched. Myoko is the massively underrated gem of the big four (shiga, hakuba, nozawa, myoko). No queues, pow pow, and liberal policy to scooting anywhere you like :)

Actually now i think about it, ive got one week holiday left. I might just head back to nagano one last time in mid-late feb since its kinda cheap to get to osaka via jejuair. Might be nice to ride myoko again. :)
m00m
ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 3:16pm
Daaaaamn. If I have anything left in these old legs I will hit up Myoko for sure.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:10pm

dude, i had a season pass in myoko. Dont you worry about the language barrier. Ka-re Rai-su o kudasai! is easy enough to say :)

Suginohara (myoko) is BEAUTIFUL. And seki onsen currently has a depth of snow (5meters) higher than anywhere else in japan INCLUDING hokkaido.

It also has one of the best off piste policies in nagano. Duck the ropes, no ones shouting at you or taking your pass off you. :) Go read my review and get psyched. Myoko is the massively underrated gem of the big four (shiga, hakuba, nozawa, myoko). No queues, pow pow, and liberal policy to scooting anywhere you like :)

Actually now i think about it, ive got one week holiday left. I might just head back to nagano one last time in mid-late feb since its kinda cheap to get to osaka via jejuair. Might be nice to ride myoko again. :)
Means, Can i have a curry (with rice), If you didn't know. 
ezylee View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ezylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:18pm
haha, I had no idea what it meant.

Well, my tour shirts just arrived. Woot! Designed them a couple of weeks ago.

satoru View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
my board

Quote satoru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 5:24pm
kare- raisu :)
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 6:57pm
katsu kare is easier to say LOL
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Quote bugsbunnymydad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 7:39pm
Not sure about myoko but pretty much all the resorts in the hakuba area which I'm including nozawa with have decent English service. All the resort restaurants I've been to (besides the really traditional Japanese ones) have English menus.

Yes, the Nozawa village is worth a look. You can walk around the entire village in an hour or two. It's been around hundreds of years I believe and the views are quite a sight. Hope your boards are well waxed though... there are a few flat areas at nozawa that are really annoying.
sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 8:44pm
almost finished waxing mine, just got to scrape it off and make her smooth

still decided weather or not to take 2 boards
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2011 at 11:39pm
baaaah you have got to be joking koji! rain on the wednesday
gee i hope it proves the forecasts wrong and does have a big dump during the week!
matic View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote matic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 12:15am
hasnt snowed in days in rusutsu, still the best snow EVAR. 
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 3:20am
Originally posted by woodyy05

baaaah you have got to be joking koji! rain on the wednesday
gee i hope it proves the forecasts wrong and does have a big dump during the week!
It keeps changing on Mountain watch. It was rain, then showers, now its rain and snow!!! Argh and now Tuesday is few showers... Hope it's 1. Bluebird or 2. Powder. 
I'm yet to experience Powder, missed out by a few days in NZ. Hmm now that i think of it i had to ride in rain/snow in NZ as well... 
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 6:29am

Originally posted by mech9t5

anyone have any comments or experience?  Is it worth it or should I just explore myself

Never go Backcountry alone. 
Man only just checked the snow predictions. Hope that rain on the Wednesday disappears. 

when i said myself, I meant with my friends but without a guide.  I have 3 other people going with me.  

I think I will do a couple days in niseko and then decide.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 11:06am
6 more days for me.... hopfully I can meet up with some of y'alls.

In the meantime, here's something to help you guys learn Japanese...

sheepz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sheepz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 8:08pm
hey grunge i'm there from 11 - 21, stayin at the Aria, i posted my facebook link on the page before add me if you want to catch up for some runs or beers
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2011 at 10:37pm
Can't believe i'm going to miss meeting you Grunge. By 1 day! 
Btw ezylee, that is an awesome picture for a shirt. So going to start doing the tour shirts!!!
woodyy05 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote woodyy05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2011 at 12:04am
speaking of learning japanese, i downloaded a free app - free japanese pickup lines
the best one is :

"i have a futon in my pocket"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>