Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jase13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Android Aps
    Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 5:06am
Anyone got any good andoird aps? Saw the iphone thread and thought we should get in on the action.

Im a massive fan of tasker, gmote, dropbox, places & evernote.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 5:51am
I got the droid x just recently so I'm excited to see what people post, I do like the places app 
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/08/2010 at 6:32am
I don't have any of the apps you've mentioned and I've had my Droid since X-mas.  I like Slacker Radio, Advanced Task Killer (to kill all the apps you want closed), Simply Cyanide, Movies, gotta have my google talk, Mileage, colornote, DroidLight, Weatherbug, and I forget the app name, but I'm running one where it lets me have as many screens as I want, rather than limiting me to just 3.  ShopSavvy is a good barcode scanner, Backgrounds (for good background wallpapers), eBuddy for all IM clients (great when I'm bored in class :D), Lookout (virus protection), Traffic Cams is pretty cool, it lets you view traffic cams, so you can see how bad traffic is.  I also have sports tap, and I use Soccer Scores for the obvious...but it was the best world cup app. Shazam is also a really good one for finding out what song is playing.
Just call me Dan
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 3:31am
I am considering getting the Droid X but was surprised to find that it doesn't sync with Outlook (unless you have Exchange). Apparently there are some 3rd party apps (Companion link) but they haven't received good reviews. Doesn't anyone with Android sync with Outlook? How does it work for you?
jase13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 5:21am
Sorry, forgot to mention Launcher Pro, i forget its an app cause its my home screen replacement, awesome. Also using swype as my keyboard replacement. And i prefer soundhound to shazam.
jase13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 5:24am
Sorry, missed the above post, i used to use outlook but now have all my emails forwarded to a single gmail account which of course it syncs with splendidly.
REDLINE89 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 5:45am
A great app I have is called Mobile Defense. If your phone is ever lost or stolen, you can log into www.mobiledefense.com and lock your phone, and even activate the GPS and track it through Google Maps. Best of all, it's free!
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 5:57am
Wow, I'm going to add Mobile Defense right now! Thanks for that one. :D

As for using Outlook on an android...there's about 10,000 email apps that are better than outlook.  I'd say your problem is that you use outlook, rather than there being no good apps for it.

EDIT: Mobile Defense is in beta right now and it's closed. :(
Just call me Dan
return2heaven View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Boneseh

I forget the app name, but I'm running one where it lets me have as many screens as I want, rather than limiting me to just 3.

i would love to check that app out, whats it called?

ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 7:59am
gawddd i want the droid so badly!!!! this thread is gonna make me cry...
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 8:07am
I absolutely love my droid phone.  Star It's amazing how quickly you think you absolutely NEED a smartphone and the extra $30/month/phone (since both me and my husband have one) extra it costs just to have the smartphone seems logical.

The google talk is one that I use quite a bit.  The navigation is pretty sweet.  Pandora, since I haven't downloaded any songs to my phone. Nimbuzz is an app that allows for all your IMs to be on a single app.
I am more into puzzle games and have games such as Solitaire, Abduction, Milky Milky, Titres (much like tetris) and old school frogger and pac man (not that exciting for the free one, but fun to go to every once in a while). 
I have the places app, but I'm not sure what it is... anyone care to explain?
DDub View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 8:18am
aCar for tracking mpg, service, etc.
Bump for sharing apps, contacts, etc.
CardioTrainer for tracking routes, speed, etc.
Carrr Matey for finding my car in huge parking lots.
DroidLight for using the flash as a flashlight.
Google Sky Map because it's badass.
PdaNet for tethering.
SMS Popup
krazykraka View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 8:38am
Apps Organizer - To organize apps
Audio Manager - lets you control volumn of everything on a widget
Chrome to Phone - Use in conjunction with PC web browser.  Lets you send links to your phone.
Places - it tells you whats around you (restaurants/atms/etc)
Screen Mode Widget - lets you turn off lock screen from this widget.  Im always touching my phone cuz i change the song alot.  But everytime i would have to unlock my phone.  This widget lets me bypass that.  When i want the lock screen back i just press the widget again.
Sportypal - keeps track of your fitness(even works for snowboarding/skiing)
TeslaLED - another flash light app
Touch To Talk - walkie talkie type deal.  Doesnt use your minutes! It's like Nextels walkie talkie thing

and everything else ppl above mentioned
carebear View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 8:41am
do they tend to cost more than iphone apps?
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 9:10am
the apps are usually a few bucks.  It all depends on the developer.  But at least with the Android market there are 'lite'versions, which are just trial versions.  Apple is adopting this method too.  But the other good thing about the Android market is that if you buy the full version, you still have a 24hour period to get a refund (it might be 48hours not sure on this though)
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 10:29am
Originally posted by REDLINE89

A great app I have is called Mobile Defense. If your phone is ever lost or stolen, you can log into www.mobiledefense.com and lock your phone, and even activate the GPS and track it through Google Maps. Best of all, it's free!
That is pretty awesome
Lycantivis View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me Boarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 10:58am
barcode scanner - nice to use and check prices
androzip- for those who are ziping things to their phones for rom-ing or such
batterytime- cause I dont trust the built in battery bar this one provides % as well as projected usage life on the remaining battery
car home- track where you parked
coupons - no reason not to see if you can get stuff for cheaper
epicurious - infinite recipes
Fandango - buying movie tickets while at dinner is handy to just walk up t the machine and just swipe your card and have tickets printed.
goggles - take a pic of anything and it searchs for it
key ring - nice to never have to pull out any membership card with bar code ever again
layar - find things in your radius to do/eat
open table - can actually remotely reserve a table at some resturants
ringdroid - personally edit any sound clip to fit what you want as a ringtone/notificatioin
silent snap free - lets you take pics without any noises kinda handy
swype - awesome alternative to click typing
skyfire - web browser that actually lets you view all those youtube videos that youtube mobile won't.

Im such a droid fanboy its redic, Ill talk to anyone about anything droid.

Travis Pastrana - was it soft? Roner - no dude it felt like a tree
F3ZZ3H View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 11:53am
Have any of you guys tried the HTC HD2 running Android. It's pretty amazing and seems to do as good a job as any other high end smart phone with it built in?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me Boarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 3:00pm
the hd2 is a reasonable phone, but the Droid X and Evo 4g blow it out of the water in terms of operating system and system specs.  I personally really want an X but im holding out till they release an updated version with a bigger battery as it still uses the same battery from the Droid 1.  Plus the Droid 2 comes out this week.  And android is slated with at least 2 more smart phones from samsung and htc this year and motorola is coming out with 10" tablet within a year which Im exstatic about.
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 3:11pm
I haven't had time to research everything that's out there but I'm coming up on two years for my contract (time to drop the HTC fuze) so I need to get my head in the game -- I presume I want to get Android system, but two questions: 

(1) what is the absolutely most powerful phone out there in terms of processor speed; and

(2) does anything have a camera on the front for handheld skype?  That would seem like a necessary function, will probably wait until I can get that one. 

-b

P.S.  I want to be the first person on my block with a cell phone surgically implanted into my brain -- where can I get that app ???
F3ZZ3H View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 3:12pm
We don't get the droid X or the 4g in the u.k so no idea on that one. But i've stuck with HTC for a few years now and looking forward to a new phone in the U.K to beat the Desires and Wildfires we have floating around at the minute.

Really loving the android os, but WP7 might pull something out of the bag if they get it right.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 4:07pm
i think audio manager is the best app
my mom says im hardcore
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by | | | bryman | | |

I haven't had time to research everything that's out there but I'm coming up on two years for my contract (time to drop the HTC fuze) so I need to get my head in the game -- I presume I want to get Android system, but two questions: 

(1) what is the absolutely most powerful phone out there in terms of processor speed; and

(2) does anything have a camera on the front for handheld skype?  That would seem like a necessary function, will probably wait until I can get that one. 

-b

P.S.  I want to be the first person on my block with a cell phone surgically implanted into my brain -- where can I get that app ???

Evo4g/DroidX/Iphone4 all run 1gz processors.  Only the Evo4g and Iphone4 have front facing cameras.  Both can use skype.
coreyfisherman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 9:50pm
Yeah, I just got a new android phone and I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the posting, I have really dinked around with it yet so I am still learning its bells and whistles.
xtremez View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2010 at 10:03pm
OI file manager - like explorer for your fone
One touch silent button - cant remember the name
WikiDroid
MSN Talk
MotoNav - Free gps in 400x800 screen (perf for htc desire)
3g WatchDog - Monitors downloads from mobile network if u have a limit
Wifi Analyzer - measures signal strength of Wifi networks in range
Batterytime - Shows stats on ur battery
Movie Finder - lists movie times to nearby movie theatres

For games i have

Connect4
Robo Defense
Alchemy

All these were FREE

any1 suggest any good games?
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Boneseh

As for using Outlook on an android...there's about 10,000 email apps that are better than outlook.  I'd say your problem is that you use outlook, rather than there being no good apps for it.

I use Outlook for work and hence I must have the ability to sync with my Outlook contacts, calendar, tasks as well as send/receive email from my work accounts. Most phones use to have a sync option for Outlook but it appears Google is trying to force people away from Outlook and to their products. For better or for worse I need to use Outlook for work and must have a way to sync with it if I get the Droid X. Everything looks great about the Droid X but this issue.
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 6:12am
My uncle got the Droid X and isn't the best with technology so he took his phone to a verizon store and they were able to set his mail up for him.  There is an email app preinstalled on the phone that you could probably just put your work email in.  But as I said, as I haven't used outlook in probably...7 years at least, I can't really help.  Google would be your friend.
Just call me Dan
jacker82 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 6:26am
I have the Droid Incredible and it is a great device. I have no problem syncing with the exchange server my company uses (Outlook). All of my work emails, appointments, contacts and tasks are seamlessly transferred to my phone. As for apps; I use Skyfire for web browsing, Pandora for music, Live Scores for sports scores, FxCamera takes cool pics, Gmote as a wireless touchpad for my desktop, Skype for taking to family and friends around the world for cheap, and Daily Dilbert because it amuses me... I'm definitely gonna check out Mobile Defense.
jase13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2010 at 4:32pm
I like the format used by a few of the app name followed by the use, so im going to repost my list:

LauncherPro - Awesome App that allows massive customisation of the home screen. Up to 7 home screens, 5 rows of apps, A must have for me.

Tasker - this is an automater app, it allows you to tell the phone to do x when y occurs, fdor example silent when i have a meeting in the calendar, or turn on wifi when i get to work (using gps). Another favourite.

gMote - has trackpad and media control functions

Dropbox - access to your dropbox, keep everything in the cloud and its automatically on the phone

Places - Standard app but really fantastic, searching 'fast food' is a life saver.

Evernote - Syncing all your notes, shopping lists, where you parked the car, between computer and phone

Swype - Excellent keyboard for fast one handed typing

SoundHound - Like shazam, but better

Chrome 2 Phone - Pushes links from your computer to the phone with just 1 click.
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 4:31am
Originally posted by jacker82

I have the Droid Incredible and it is a great device. I have no problem syncing with the exchange server my company uses (Outlook). All of my work emails, appointments, contacts and tasks are seamlessly transferred to my phone. As for apps; I use Skyfire for web browsing, Pandora for music, Live Scores for sports scores, FxCamera takes cool pics, Gmote as a wireless touchpad for my desktop, Skype for taking to family and friends around the world for cheap, and Daily Dilbert because it amuses me... I'm definitely gonna check out Mobile Defense.
The problem is we use Outlook but we don't have an Exchange Server. From what I understand, the Droid will sync with Outlook with Exchange but won't if you don't have an Exchange server ...
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2010 at 9:43am
Are there any 3rd-party Android app stores?  The iPhone has Cydia (and others), and WebOS has PreWare, but is there anything like that for Android?
jase13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2010 at 5:09am
Not that i am aware of, xda developers has a bunch of non market apps
Dirtydragon View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Top oF Tahoe

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2010 at 8:55am
you guys should also check out 4shared.com and search APK.

However, i encourage you to purchase all the apps you really like to support developers.

ksuar32 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2010 at 9:41am
I have the original Motorola Droid, have to say Droid is the best OS ever!! Google sky map is really cool, advanced task killer is helpful, and chompSMS is wicked awesome for texting!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me Boarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 7:08am
chrome to phone went live last week i can't wait for a tablet with 2.2 to make this continuous client idea mentally challenged awesome
ejaeyoon View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 7:57am
tablet with 2.2 sounds nice and all but android 3.0 is supposed to come out soon. don't think there is a release date on the tablet yet
jeffalmonte89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 8:57am
The Apps I use often are:

Bank Of America - Convenient when paying bills.
Calorie Counter - Self Explanatory
Coupons - Looks for coupons
DroidFit - Great for working out
FxCamera - Has fisheye lens =D
Places - Comes in handy a lot

Moto View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 8:59am
Google Sky -excellent for quick looks and finding difficult messier objects.

Facebook - of course
Gmail- of course
Maps/Navigate - pretty awesome
movin my hips like yeahhh
Marumm View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
caw

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 12:48pm
also, I keep reading the thread title as "android apes"

jase13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 8:01pm
Would love a tablet running 3.0, also looking forward to that
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2010 at 8:12pm
advanced task killer - i use this more than any other app for my phone
ebuddy - for all IM stuff

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 9:25am
recommend any games?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Me Boarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 10:40am
angry birds is pretty fun
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 10:48am
Foursquare - I'm the mayor of Your Mom on FourSquare
Google Voice - love it
Google Goggles - useful litle app
Sports Radio Droid - streaming EPSN radio for the gym
Yahoo Fantasy '10 - keep my FFL teams going
Curry Up Now - great lunch truck
TweetDeck - best way to track FB, twitter and foursquare
Mint.com - tracks all my bank accounts
SJPL - for my library books and reserving stuff
Yelp - duh

-zakk

jac1644229 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 10:48am
I've had the Droid for about a year now and I love it!  Plus it can take one hell of a beating.  I am bit clumsy and drop it alot.  Apps wise:

Dolphin Browser -- much better browser than the built in one
Sports Tap -- checks scores in pretty much any sporting event when I'm out at a bar
Robo Defense and Word Drop are fun games
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 11:13am
might give dolphin browser a try then.  i just use the stock browser.  what browsers do the rest of you use?
AlexanderJ View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 11:24am
I rock the HTC evo 4g (using it to type this post) and came from the iPhone 3g. The sense UI for HTC phones is a great version of android, and I think its the best Android has to offer. The apps I use most are advanced task killer, flashlight, navigation, and gensoid.
I can't believe you guys don't use snes or genesis emulators, I can get roms right to my phone and play all my favorite games. The 4.3 inch screen makes it like a gameboy pretty much.
Oh and angry birds is fun...and don't get any of the snowboarding games they are miserable.
Backside10 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 1:19pm
Sierra.......wheres the SS android app? hook it up
Nitro Rook 156, Burton Cartels
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2010 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by snowmen

I am considering getting the Droid X but was surprised to find that it doesn't sync with Outlook (unless you have Exchange). Apparently there are some 3rd party apps (Companion link) but they haven't received good reviews. Doesn't anyone with Android sync with Outlook? How does it work for you?

i had the droid x, and then got the evo.  I have no real reasons but the Evo just feels and seems faster and better
my mom says im hardcore
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2010 at 2:49am
^ IS the EVO  only on SPrint? I am trying to stick to ATT or Verizon for better coverage.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>