Official Frankenbinder Thread

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 20>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Official Frankenbinder Thread
    Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 3:18am
Originally posted by ecumike

Someone needs to learn to use the internet.  You can't link to an image from a page that requires authentication.
yep, one thing like that and i obviously dont know how to "use the internet."

"my bad"
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 3:21am
Originally posted by Krazylegz1485

Originally posted by spenser

and the inverter/white forces.  i thought they were rad, but i always go back to mellow colors.  got them from a friend for $30

That's easily the best deal on bindings EVER.  Lucky bastard.  (Zoe, too)
free is actually a better deal, but yeah, it was a pretty good score for a union/airblaster fan.  now, if i got one of the 30 pairs of AIR highback-ed forces, that would have been killer.

anyway, sorry about the targa pictures, its from the rome dealer site.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote rook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 5:38am

now the targa strap looks cooomfy.  fatty.

Spenser can you delete this image from you post...... Rome asking me for the password is popping up every-time I switch pages. 
started by flossers making floss for flossers
ddomski View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ddomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 5:41am
those targas look sweet
Gnu B Pro 152 BTX w/ Union Milan bindings
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote not-ewrx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:25am
Is this why the home page is asking for a password for romesnowboards?  Idiots!
GUTH View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote GUTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 7:52am
it was the link to the picture.   fixed
*Insert Something Clever Here*
ecumike View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ecumike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 8:25am
spenser, no sweat man, just teasing.

BTW I rode those Targas in June, liked them a lot.
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 8:34am
those are some pretty sweet looking bindings
be talkin to ya
IrishRugby04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote IrishRugby04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 8:40am
these are all really awesome to look at. does everyone usually purchase their bindings used when they're doing a project like this?
dvdngu View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote dvdngu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 8:50am
this thread got me stoked on union franken binders now LOL. i just recently started trying out unions so maybe in a year or so ill take the parts and make a franken :D any suggestions on what to use? i was thinking rome 390 ankle straps and burton toe caps with force highback and baseplates.
Krazylegz1485 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 10:19am
Originally posted by IrishRugby04

these are all really awesome to look at. does everyone usually purchase their bindings used when they're doing a project like this?

Used or at year end sale prices, unless you're loaded.  You'll usually end up with a bunch of extra parts or else a complete extra set of bindings, so it can be expensive in the long run.  Just gotta find the deals and take advantage of them when you can.

That's why I'm hoping that a few people are interested in trading certain things because I'll most likely have a bunch of stuff I don't want/need anymore.
http://thench.com/garage/
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by dvdngu

this thread got me stoked on union franken binders now LOL. i just recently started trying out unions so maybe in a year or so ill take the parts and make a franken :D any suggestions on what to use? i was thinking rome 390 ankle straps and burton toe caps with force highback and baseplates.
swapping parts between brands is where it might not work.  you can put burton toe straps on unions but i havent looked into mixing union and rome.
Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Quote Mike.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 3:36pm
Levi has one M/L union and one L/XL bindings that he uses everyday.

MiguelMas View Drop Down
Local
Local
Old man Migs

Quote MiguelMas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 3:40pm
Levi is a no soul havin freak.

determined View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote determined Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 4:24pm
I thought about something like this. I wanted the data bindings but with the force machined core baseplate. Now since they improved the strap i would want the newer ankle and toe straps from the force. Maybe also with the magnesium heel loop. Buying the force mc parts may be too much. I mean how much lighter is it gonna be? It'll be nice to have though.

I tried to find all the parts to build my own customized binding from c3 but the thing they are missing are the high backs.

spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 4:38pm
they claim the MC is the lightest binding on the market, and i think when james from dogfunk weighed bindings on a digital scale, that held true.  obviously he didnt compare every single binding in the world, but still.

basically what you described is a force SL with data highbacks, possibly with the 2010 MC heel hoop (2011 MC heel hoop is the new nanotech version which is plastic).  between force, SL, and data highbacks, i honestly cant really feel a difference, or at least not one that really matters to me or my riding.  i think MAYBE i felt a very very slight difference with SLs - i couldnt feel the top of the highback against my leg as much as forces, not to say forces were uncomfortable at all.

if youre going for the aesthetic of the data highback then thats another thing.  i like those a lot too.  but to make it easier on yourself, you could just get force SLs.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 5:54pm
I could have sworn Johan said the contact pro was a little lighter, in one of the C3 videos... Maybe im wrong.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:07pm
just watched that, and youre right.  hmmm.. does that mean the contact pro is the lightest out there?  but i have a feeling he meant lighter than the force SL, cause you can see in the MC video how forward he is right at the beginning about the MC being the lightest in the line and on the market.

im interested to give them a try, i just know that i dont really want anything less responsive than forces so it kinda puts them out of my range.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:16pm
Im stuck between the Contact and Contact Pro... Hard choice.

The thing i had an issue with last year on the forces was they always moved. Like when i took them off to wax, you could see the baseplate was no longer parallel if that makes sense. Im assuming with the contact since theres so much foam, that it would stay in place better, since the forces is sitting on that plastic cover. Yaknow? and i think the contact pro would stay in place better too. I always wanted to try a softer binding, just dont know which one...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:28pm
happened with my disks too but it never mattered.

i do think that youre right that the padding will help them not move, i seem to recall that being the case with my couple pairs of contacts.

the contact pro is between the contact and force in terms of response.  havent seen an actual rating yet, but contacts are a 3 and forces are a 7, so im assuming a 5.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:32pm
Yea... Still dont know. and ya i know its not an issue and that it doesnt matter. It just bothers me, haha. Im just too anal i guess.

Ill probably end up buying both the pros and regulars. lol
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by IceCoast

Yea... Still dont know. and ya i know its not an issue and that it doesnt matter. It just bothers me, haha. Im just too anal i guess.

Ill probably end up buying both the pros and regulars. lol

Nothing wrong with being too anal, as long as you're not receiving. Wink

You're contemplating buying both Contact Pros and regular Contacts?  You could probably buy the Pros and just look for a set of regular Contact highbacks.  Might save a little money on the deal.  Either get 'em second hand or maybe check with C3.  I'm sure they've got some lying around or in their box o' highbacks.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 6:54pm
Well the bases are different. Nonetheless ill probably get two bindings. I set for my Artifact and a set for my Pickle. Because i always bring two boards to the mtn and leave one in the car, and sometimes switch thru out the day.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 7:02pm
Oh yeah.  I remember Johan saying that in one of the videos now.  Doesn't the Contact Pro base have a little higher amount of fibgerglass or something in it, making it a little bit stiffer?  Makes sense then.

Wonder if I can get my hands on some Contact Pro highbacks towards the end of the next season.  Those things would look t!ts on my Force MC bases.  Hrrm, actually, don't they have yellow padding on them?  Scratch that thought.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 7:04pm

Originally posted by dvdngu

swapping parts between brands is where it might not work.  you can put burton toe straps on unions but i havent looked into mixing union and rome.

To somewhat agree with both of ya, I'd say the only thing you could use off the Rome bindings is the heel strap.  Looking at that big Targa picture, it looks like the only part that mounts in a similar fashion to anythng on the Unions.

Well, that and the disc mounting hardware. LOL
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2010 at 7:13pm
contact pros have the same contact baseplate (plastic) but the padding is whats different.. there are multiple densities, some of which is on the firm side, that makes the baseplate a little more responsive overall, but i dont think theres more fiberglass.

you might be thinking of the danny kass or capita contact though, which is carbon injected instead of fiberglass, so theyre a little lighter and a little stiffer.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 2:20am

contact pros have the same contact baseplate (plastic) but the padding is whats different.. there are multiple densities, some of which is on the firm side, that makes the baseplate a little more responsive overall, but i dont think theres more fiberglass.

you might be thinking of the danny kass or capita contact though, which is carbon injected instead of fiberglass, so theyre a little lighter and a little stiffer.

Ah ha, the padding.  The Contact Pro must be "heavy flow" and the Contact is just "regular flow".  LOL

I think I was thinkin' something to do with the Ultrafear Contact.  I think. Confused  Maybe they should do another version of the Contacts...
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 2:30am
contact, contact pro, and contact carbon (ultrafear).. what more could you want!
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 2:34am

contact, contact pro, and contact carbon (ultrafear).. what more could you want!

Don't forget the Contact SL, too.  Just sayin'.  Maybe make some more, make it more confusing for us.
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 7:45am
Wow...that's a lot of combinations possible...regarding the SL hiback...is it pretty much a cored out Force hiback?  Same stiffness, but lighter?  Also, is Sierra planning on a Union collab binding?  If they are, I wonder if it's going to be a contact base or a Force base?  I doubt they would go with a CNC machined cored out base because it would be too expensive.

I wonder how Union would do a canted foot bed or if they are even thinking about it?

Did you google it?
octopus View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote octopus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 11:52am

old project, i like them
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by RideTimeless

Wow...that's a lot of combinations possible...regarding the SL hiback...is it pretty much a cored out Force hiback?  Same stiffness, but lighter? 

I think that's the ultimate goal of it.  Provide almost the same ride feel but cut some weight.  I think there's possibly a little change in the side-to-side flex because the SL high back has an asymmetrical shape.  Not 100% sure how this works but I think it makes a little difference.  Check the Union Clinic vids for clarification. 

Originally posted by RideTimeless

Also, is Sierra planning on a Union collab binding?  If they are, I wonder if it's going to be a contact base or a Force base?  I doubt they would go with a CNC machined cored out base because it would be too expensive.

You mean other than last year's Contact SL?  I personally haven't heard/read anything on here.  Sounds like they're doing another Sierrascope, but looks like they're partnering with Rome on a set of bindings this year.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 12:43pm
the SL highback is supposed to be about the same response as forces, yes, but because of the way its shaped (slightly asymmetrical and just the shape in general) it feels a little different on the back of the boot.. very slightly though.  between the two i think i could feel the top of the SL highback against my boot just a little less than forces.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2010 at 1:32pm
yeah, for 2011...other than the contact SL...Not realizing how the Contact SL does integrate different Union components, it was a great deal.  I bought them and tried them out but, passed them to my cousin.  I have some Datas that I'm gonna give a try.  Maybe Sierra will just release them again after talking to Union to see what can be made...maybe some POW re-union Contact SL?Big smile

Back to the thread topic...nothing to show for Frankenbindings...maybe in the future after I get my hands on some more Union parts.

Did you google it?
MH8701 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MH8701 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 9:27am

Solution to anyones toe strap issues
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 9:43am
those toe straps are probably the most grippy one ive ever used, but i wasnt really a fan of the betas and the way the buckle/strap come together made it push into my pinky toe.

nice board/binding combo... looks familiar....

wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 10:07am
awesome graphics!
be talkin to ya
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 10:11am

nice board/binding combo... looks familiar....

Basically rocking the exact same thing myself, sans the stickers.  I got a few Airblaster and Bald E-Gal props on mine. 

However, actually just took the Super Pros off to make a home for my new Force MC creation.  Probably gonna end up putting the purple people eaters on the Ultrafear for now, and really hoping I can pick up IceCoast's green forces to mix the two together.  We shall see. 
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 10:31am
i cant wait for the new charlie.  putting black forces on it most likely.  dark side.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 10:39am

purple people eater. 
Thats my nickname at my old resort down in PA. haha
idshredhead View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Quote idshredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by MH8701

I like this. That toe strap works so nice. The rest of the ride bindings that I have tried. Meh.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Quote idshredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:16am

and really hoping I can pick up IceCoast's green forces to mix the two together.  We shall see. 

Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:27am
Oh, snap.

Clap

At least I'm trying to get better, tho!  Got rid of a pair of bindings before I bought the new Big Sky jacket.  That was almost an even trade.  Got two boards to sell and a buddy told me he's buying one for sure.  With a little luck I can unload this other one sometime soon. 

Anybody in the market for a 162 Rome Design? Wink

PS - Is there a built in program in Photoshop just for making "motivational" posters? LOL
ozmotion View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ozmotion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:32am

I think that's the ultimate goal of it.  Provide almost the same ride feel but cut some weight.  I think there's possibly a little change in the side-to-side flex because the SL high back has an asymmetrical shape.  Not 100% sure how this works but I think it makes a little difference.  Check the Union Clinic vids for clarification. 

so are you saying that it's stiffer side-to-side, or mellower?

IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:38am
Originally posted by idshredhead

Originally posted by MH8701

I like this. That toe strap works so nice. The rest of the ride bindings that I have tried. Meh.
So what are the parts needed for that, are the ratchets rides? ladders ride or union?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
what I do best

Quote idshredhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:42am
Originally posted by ozmotion

so are you saying that it's stiffer side-to-side, or mellower?

its symmetrical in shape, assym in flex. Its softer towards the inside to reduce calf bite and stiffer on the outside for support and response. I haven't ridden them, only hand-flexed in a shop. They aren't very stiff.
IceCoast View Drop Down
Local
Local
Airblaster!

Quote IceCoast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:44am
Contact pro highback, softer or stiffer than force?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 11:47am
probably just "different."  its pretty stiff straight back like forces, but torsionally flexible toward the top moreso than the bottom.  the difference is that its a lot flatter, but what difference will that make in riding?  who knows.

the SL highback, like i said, might feel slightly different as far as how much you can feel it against your boot, toward the top.  thats the only thing i recall noticing, but theyre still as responsive as force highbacks if you ask me, i guess.

the SL highback feels slightly more torsionally flexible at the top to me, if anything.

i also dont really understand when union says you dont have to rotate your highbacks anymore.  the reason you rotate is for response so youre pushing straight into the highback instead of at an angle, its not to reduce calf bite, though it does help in that i guess, maybe.
Local
Local
Trollin' Ain't Easy

Quote Krazylegz1485 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 12:13pm

i also dont really understand when union says you dont have to rotate your highbacks anymore.  the reason you rotate is for response so youre pushing straight into the highback instead of at an angle, its not to reduce calf bite, though it does help in that i guess, maybe.

I'm in the same boat.  Doesn't make sense to me that you wouldn't rotate them.  Even with the SL highbacks I still have them rotated. 

Personally I don't think it would alter the calf bite either way, but I could see how it could affect your lateral tweak-ability.  Meaning when you lay into a press or do a super gnarly tweak, having the highback parallel to the edge of the board would keep it from hindering your ability to get as tweaked as possible.  Not that this will ever come into play for myself, but just saying.  Don't see myself ever having the skill to get that tweaked.

I don't know.  I'm getting too into this thinking thing.  Too much technical crap that doesn't even matter.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote RideTimeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2010 at 12:15pm

probably just "different."  its pretty stiff straight back like forces, but torsionally flexible toward the top moreso than the bottom.  the difference is that its a lot flatter, but what difference will that make in riding?  who knows.

the SL highback, like i said, might feel slightly different as far as how much you can feel it against your boot, toward the top.  thats the only thing i recall noticing, but theyre still as responsive as force highbacks if you ask me, i guess.

the SL highback feels slightly more torsionally flexible at the top to me, if anything.

I thought that it was just me..i didn't understand that either.  Also I had a hard time trying to rotate my Contact SL.  If i'm not mistaken, is rotating the hibacks on Unions capable of three positions only or is it like Burtons where it freely slides, and the "teeth" just lock it in place.  i don't have a set in from of me...

anyways, yeah just commenting on the rotate hiback comment from spenser
Did you google it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>