What is your worst injury ever

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <123

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kirkalicious View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kirkalicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is your worst injury ever
    Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 1:01pm
haven't had any injuries yet, hopefully i will avoid some by wearing protective gear
sdwc96 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sdwc96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 1:05pm
broken scapula.
nautika96 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote nautika96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 1:07pm
bruised my side (near my kidneys) and i've blacked out from hitting my head.
sammysark View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sammysark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2012 at 1:09pm
Broke and displaced my wrist and got knocked out 2 times. other then that nothing major.
azngolfur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote azngolfur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 9:45am
brother fractured his orbital bone after faceplanting
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Originally posted by batmanwest

Pretty old revive there vin.cent. LOL

Guess I'll add....
My worst was either the time I broke my T-10 vertebrae, or the time I broke my left arm (broke my radius in two places, and the Ulna in one spot) Didn't poke out of the skin or anything, but the radius bulged up the skin a good amount..Both times I had to drive myself home an hour from the slopes.

I'm just gonna assume you're hitting the park.  Do you ride solo?  Confused

Late response...eh? LOL

Yeah, both were from hitting the park. Both were from jumps actually. The vertebrae injury was from coming up short on a 30ft-er, and hitting the knuckle dead on, bounced back up, cleared the entire landing and landed on my neck.

The time I broke my arm I was with other people, but they were all too young to drive. Had to pull over so many times to collect myself, and keep from vomiting/passing out...haha.

The time I broke my neck I was by myself. I really should of just gone to ski patrol and had them take me to the hospital, but I was young and just wanted to get my car home and go to the doctor in my own town. Funny thing was I walked through the door a few hours earlier than I told my mom I would be home...and the first thing she said was, "what did you break". :) Back then she knew if I came home early, it was because something was broken. I feel bad for her for how many times she had to drive me to the ER growing up...hahahah.
TranTheDoctor View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote TranTheDoctor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 10:33am
Broke my radius and scaphoid. Got surgery and had a screw placed to close the gap between the two pieces of my scaphoid so it could heal. Good stuff.
chraznist View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote chraznist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2012 at 12:39pm
hit my tailbone on my first fall of the first ride of last season. couldn't really board for the rest of it
B7ack B0y View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote B7ack B0y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 6:58pm
updated as of last friday  frontside 540 onto wrist, shattered bones, tore tendons and dislocated it so iit was resting on my forearm.....rode down like a hysterical boss
ianbejamin View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ianbejamin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2012 at 7:58pm
i take what i said before about not being to the emergency room, broke my ankle... sucks dude
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 5:50pm
Was skiing in Vancouver... raining and I fell onto an edge of my ski... cut through my dual layer pants, insulated layer, thermals and right into my kneecap... a few stitches later & a massive bruise in the area... I still have the indentation in my kneecap...
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2012 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by TranTheDoctor

Broke my radius and scaphoid. Got surgery and had a screw placed to close the gap between the two pieces of my scaphoid so it could heal. Good stuff.

And you learned doctor stuff during it all.  I'd say it's  win win situation!  LOL
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
xoxcreatexox View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote xoxcreatexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2012 at 10:08pm
I dislocated my shoulder!
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2012 at 12:15pm
last weekend I did a full on scorpion going about 30mph... I don't know the extent of the injuries... but its definately sore.
B7ack B0y View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote B7ack B0y Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2012 at 10:01pm
Kinda mad nobody posted pictures, i got some xrays gotta remember to put em up
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 1:50pm
Only thing I got to show from my incident is a 1" long scar... lame considering the extent of what happened...

Originally posted by B7ack B0y

Kinda mad nobody posted pictures, i got some xrays gotta remember to put em up<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2012 at 1:58pm
back in hi skool i separated all the cartilage between my sternum and my ribs doing backs... didn't get all the way around.. landed on my neck/back.. and POP.  Couldn't breathe or move at first..thought i broke myself off real good like.  All my buddys laughed and took off without checking to make sure i was ok... finally after what seemed like forever i was able to get up but it hurt to move/breath/do anything.  Rode down and out of the trees..hopped mid chair back to the top..rode down to my car and drove myself home cuz everyone had already bailed... talk about a shitty day.  Collapsed on my kitchen floor when i got home and my parents took me to the hospital.. ended up being a pretty pointless trip as they couldn't do anything for me.  

Jackass weight lifting coach ended up making me re-aggravate the injury just as i was healing up too... bastard.
MOAR powderz plz!
asdffdsa View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote asdffdsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:59am
Landed on my shoulder and dislocated it going down an ungroomed trail this March. :(
Skio25 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Just board at the cabin

Quote Skio25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 10:24am
Originally posted by B7ack B0y

What is your worst injury you have ever sustained while riding, and the story that goes with it, i'll start

Worst injury i got is when i first started doing park, i at 15 footer at camel back in PA

Going to stop you there, lol. Their jumpline was shut down this year because they had to rebuild the jumps because too many people were getting hurt soon after one-another because the jumps were "geometrically unsafe."
Now I've heard their park crew wasn't as bad in the past but their new crew (or ie manager) is crap.
Go to boulder if you want to hit jumps, they're bigger, better and safer.
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 11:50am
This season I bruised my tailbone off a bad landing, tore my rotator cuff, and gave myself a fractured humurus bone. 180's are way harder in an arm sling, but you can still land'em.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
snowj720 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Wish it was cold in my backyard all year long.....

Quote snowj720 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 2:26pm
"180's are way harder in an arm sling, but you can still land'em."
Now that's some heart.  My brother broke his wrist a few years back.  Right at the beginning of the season too.  It didn't stop him from hitting the park.  I'm like "dude, you sure that's a good idea", he said "what am I going to do?  Break my wrist?"  "ummm, maybe the other one...?"  
andy_d View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote andy_d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 6:22am
This my second season...

First season - no real injuries

Second season...

1) Two sprained fingers

2) Partially tore my right knee mensicus. While snowboarding related, I wasn't snowboarding. I'll assume my knee was already weak from a couple of ice patch hits while riding crappy conditions in Tahoe in January. I was sitting down and was moving my board around in order to buckle in. While lifting and turning the board, I heard a pop. Unfortunately it was the sound of a tear. It will never heal and I've been going to physical therpay to compensate with strengthening. Really not that big of deal as I've been riding on the injury. I still feel pain here and there, hough

3) Shoulder injury during the same Tahoe trip. Again, bad spill onto an ice patch. Looks like the muscles took a beating and just need time to fix itself since tests showed nothing really wrong

4) Twisted my ankle a few weeks ago at Whistler. This was due to my own stupidity for wearing boots that I knew were slightly bigger but felt right the last time I used them. I was learning to jump and sort of got scared mid air and landed it poorly. Felt my foot twist in the boot. Seems like it's getting better but I'm still waiting on results from MRI. Might be another tear...in my foot this time. Would suck but I wouldn't trade away my experience at Whistler

Lessons learned...

1) Buy another pair of boots that fit me properly as it is important even though this has been a big issue for me (3 pairs of boots in two seasons) - finding the right size etc. Need to work with a boot fitter

2) Always pay for travel insurance that allows cancelling for any reason. While Tahoe was fun, there is no reason to go to a resort that hasn't seen snow in like two months. I should have taken the loss
Weymaro View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Weymaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 8:39am
I've never had any serious injuries but I've had some pretty embarrassing ones. The worst one was probably when I was skiing on a green slope going in some powder on the side of the trail and hit a rock I couldn't see and sprained my knee pretty badly
kyle521 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kyle521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2012 at 9:16am
i broke my nose
Snowboardr13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Snowboardr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 12:07pm
Broke my collar bone on a cause this kid decided to blow past me and get to the rail before me.
PunkPhilosophy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Canyons Resort POWDER DAY... This is SPRING in Utah!

Quote PunkPhilosophy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 12:18pm
I broke my tib and fib in my right leg... but that was while skim boarding... then I tore my manuscus in my right knee in a mosh pit. Both injuries did NOT take place on a mountain, but I can usually feel the repercussions or lasting effects of those injuries. However, the worst injury I sustained while snowboarding was a wicked whiplash from a crazy wreck where i fliped head-over-board a lot, I need to slow down a little more often. As for the park, yeah it can be fun sometimes, but honestly, THE PARK is where most injuries on the hill occur... so for the most part, I leave it alone and head for the deeper snow. I actually saw a kid hitting the park on a DEEP powder day and I thought to myself... WTF is he doing? Then I thought... NO WORRIES... he can have it more pow pow for me and my pals!
Witty1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Witty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by PunkPhilosophy

I broke my tib and fib in my right leg... but that was while skim boarding... then I tore my manuscus in my right knee in a mosh pit. Both injuries did NOT take place on a mountain, but I can usually feel the repercussions or lasting effects of those injuries. However, the worst injury I sustained while snowboarding was a wicked whiplash from a crazy wreck where i fliped head-over-board a lot, I need to slow down a little more often. As for the park, yeah it can be fun sometimes, but honestly, THE PARK is where most injuries on the hill occur... so for the most part, I leave it alone and head for the deeper snow. I actually saw a kid hitting the park on a DEEP powder day and I thought to myself... WTF is he doing? Then I thought... NO WORRIES... he can have it more pow pow for me and my pals!

eesh... what a list!
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 4:18pm
I am on the last bit of recooping from a really bad sprained elbow and separated/ sprained shoulder suffered about 7 weeks ago.  I wasn't even doing anything crazy.. just riding switch doing a nose butter to get back to riding reg on a little flat green run (just getting back to the lift)
My board slipped out from under me as I was turning my shoulders uphill. I feel on my arm, hyper-extended it and and my arm went behind me so I separated my shoulder too.  I'm finally ok after doing some PT.
Green runs are dangerous.. be careful on them!!!
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
victorhe33 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote victorhe33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 4:47pm
This happened like 4 years ago. I was pretty new to snwoboarding and it was at night during my last run of the day at around 9 or 10pm.

I took a wrong turn and ended up on a slope i wasn't familiar with. The snow was very icy. I came upon a fork in the road and there was a sign. My glasses had fogged up so it took me while before i could read the sign. It side, left side black diamond, right side green.

Im regular footed, so i have trouble turning toeside to the right, and i sure didnt want to go left. I decided to just stop, my board wouldnt catch on the hard iced snow and i fell to my butt sliding all the way to the sign.

I had enough speed that when i hit the sign post (a thick wooden one with a half foot diameter) with the bottom of the middle of my board while i was sliding feet first, i got launched up, did a front flip, and landed in a ditch.

I thought i broke both my legs, but while walking back down i noticed my hadn hurting. Apparently i had hit my thumb on the sign post as i was flipping past it and fractured the bone in the hand which connects to the thumb bone.

Had a cast for 5 weeks and a soft brace for 4 weeks. Still feels a bit stiff now, but I'm happy thats the worst ive had.
snowboardr5150 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote snowboardr5150 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 6:58pm
I broke my collar bone trying to do a 360 air off my quarter pipe over some skateboards on my BMX bike. Landed on the ground behind the ramp. My friends took a video of it and I have to say it hurt but it looked reeally funny when it happened. Luckily it was no where near ski season.
ShredThePeak View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredThePeak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 5:47am
On January 11th I decided to try to air out of the pipe in Park City and landed on the flat, heelside, which made me slide down the back of the pipe head first on my back. It didn't hurt at all and was actually kind of fun. The weird part is that Sarah Burke died in that same spot about 20 hours later...RIP
lillybean View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote lillybean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 12:35pm
a sprained ankle from basketball.
gsoccer04 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote gsoccer04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by lillybean

a sprained ankle from basketball.

I believe this is about the worst injury from boarding... i know you're new but still make an attempt to read the forum at least so you don't seem totally lost here

by the way the worst injury i've had riding was a rather bad concussion.. i was new at the time and slid out on some ice, smashed my goggles and head on the ground, blacked out and slid for a little then woke up and luckily my buddy remembers seeing it happen
ShredDatPow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ShredDatPow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 4:52am
Luckily I haven't had a really bad injury other than a broken finger, but it was nothing that would really stop me from being able to board all season. I just hope that my good luck will continue to carry out.
woodhomie1996 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 5:00am
Dislocated shoulder way back in 1998 and now it is a chronic problem. I have dislocated each shoulder about 5 or 6 times.
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 7:40am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Dislocated shoulder way back in 1998 and now it is a chronic problem. I have dislocated each shoulder about 5 or 6 times.

My bro has the same issue, his shoulder keeps on popping out which of course ends his day on the slopes.  He says he needs a surgery to fix it.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 7:48am
Thats what they told me after my first few dislocations but the most recent doctor told me that surgery will help it from coming out but if it does happen to come out it will make the pain much worse since the tendons will be a lot tighter
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by woodhomie1996

Thats what they told me after my first few dislocations but the most recent doctor told me that surgery will help it from coming out but if it does happen to come out it will make the pain much worse since the tendons will be a lot tighter

But it's likely not to pop out so isn't that a good trade off?  Although surgery is a lot of money.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote woodhomie1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2012 at 8:14am
Well it was 2 different doctors but from the information that the last doctor gave me he said it is less likely to come out again but the only thing that surgery fixes is the tightness of your tendons id the socket is still damaged it can still come out.
I have just been doing some band exercises and it hasn't come out in about 4 years (knock on wood)
broregard View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote broregard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2013 at 6:33am
I had a high level concussion that would have killed me if i had let myself fall asleep. I was goin for a back flip and over shot it big landed directly on my head.
evo_1320 View Drop Down
Local
Local
Snowboarding

Quote evo_1320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2013 at 7:25am
Broke my arm, jumping off the stairs thinking I was a ninja turtle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123