Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FrostyChris609 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boots for a newbie-
    Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:00pm
So I'm looking at a few boots for my first pair and idk what's good and what's not. I've looked at the Burton Ruler and the Vans Encore and they look decent and was wondering what others think good, bad, what other trustworthy brand or model that you would recommend, what you rock out yourself.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:11pm
can't go wrong with rulers teh fit a little snug at first but they break in
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:27pm
true true, i support the rulers, they're pretty legit boots. at the moment they,if you can find them in your size, pretty cheap
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:34pm
you just cant state things like that.  they fit snug if you get them in a size that fits snug, but not as a general rule.

with boots you HAVE to try them on.  there is literally no way around it.  boots are the #1 most important piece of equipment and if they dont fit right then it throws everything else off.  go to a shop and try on every pair you can, and let them help you get fitted.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:35pm
i agree boots need to be tried on, you may be able to get away with trying on a pair of burtons in the store and getting a diff type of burton boots online but its always safest to try them on first
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 9:51pm
Definately goto stores to try them out.....let the assistants help you find a boot

if this is your first pair, dont walk into shop deadset on certain model/brand of boots ..you may as well just buy it online if you are.

Trying on an extra pair or two of boots doesnt hurt Wink (well might hurt your wallet thats bout it) LOL

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
action_Jackson View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:06pm
Dont be dead set on a brand. I found that with my footshape that the burton and forum and really sloppy with my foot shape, but DC and Salomon fit WAY better. Dont just go to one shop, check out alot and see the different brands out there. SOmething like footwear you have to be very specific cause it will affect your day on the hill :)
action_Jackson View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:08pm
Oh yeah, I forgot to add that the reason I found salomon and DC better what that I have a VERY narrow ankle and a wider toe box and with the other boots I tired I had lots of heal lift which is bad on a day at the hill :)
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/26/2010 at 10:15pm
Go into stores and try out some. Best to invest quite a bit into your boots, as their the most important gear in snowboarding (so i think so).
Make sure it fits you well, (snowboard boot fitting guide in the forums) So your nice and comfortable in it.
Even if you think its a great boot with cool features or at a cheap price, If it doesn't fit comfortably, it's not going to work.
Keep a open mind. If your not a brand hussy it'll be better. Different brands have different fits.

If only Queensland had snow...
Edrik View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 10:14am
The best you can do is to go in store and try them on. If really it is impossible for you, I would highly recommend the Burton Ruler, since I believe Burton makes the most confortable boots after having tried many others. Good luck with your choice.
doublecorker View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Dew Tour

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 10:21am
Try like a local shop, and if you HAVE to, go to zumiez, try on multiple boots, color really doesnt matter because most of us put our pants over our boots.
DannyP View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 10:36am
Zumiez, will do the job for sure.
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by DannyP

Zumiez, will do the job for sure.
ha.

EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 2:20pm
I have had three pair of boots before I finally set on the ones I have now.  Just like everyone says, try them on.  If they don't fit, go to a different store.  Make sure there's no heel lift.  Slight heel lift in the store may mean you're out of your boots when you yard sale down the mountain (from experience this can actually happen).  

Go to a real good place.  Go to a local shop that will give you the time required to answer all your questions and really show you what you need to know about getting fitted right.  If you think you're being scammed and sold the stuff that's not right, you are.  Get out of that shop and try another one.

Not really trying to scare anyone about boots... but boot fit is the most important thing on the mountain besides staying warm and dry.  If your boots don't fit, you'll be miserable.  Take the time necessary to make sure they're the right ones.  Staying warm and dry, that's a different story but you could easily do research and buy clothes online.  Boots are specific to the person wearing them.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by EpicFAIL

I have had three pair of boots before I finally set on the ones I have now.  Just like everyone says, try them on.  If they don't fit, go to a different store.  Make sure there's no heel lift.  Slight heel lift in the store may mean you're out of your boots when you yard sale down the mountain (from experience this can actually happen).  

Go to a real good place.  Go to a local shop that will give you the time required to answer all your questions and really show you what you need to know about getting fitted right.  If you think you're being scammed and sold the stuff that's not right, you are.  Get out of that shop and try another one.

Not really trying to scare anyone about boots... but boot fit is the most important thing on the mountain besides staying warm and dry.  If your boots don't fit, you'll be miserable.  Take the time necessary to make sure they're the right ones.  Staying warm and dry, that's a different story but you could easily do research and buy clothes online.  Boots are specific to the person wearing them.

Okay, just on what you said, I sorta have a query, and I should explain the reason behind it.
Firstly I have a very flat arch. If I dip my foot in water and take a walk it looks like a duck's footprint. 

When I was getting fitted for a pair of boots, I was told that not every boot will fit everyone. That I understand, and that it's a process of elimination.
But on this, it's not possible that I'm stuck with just one particular brand right?

I mean when I got fitted I ended up with DC's because they have good arch support for the boots. I mean, I did try different types of burton, forum and even 32. They weren't as comfy due to lack of arch support. (I would have gone for the 32's otherwise.)

The reason I say this is coz I know that DC's wear out easily, and it's already showing. I've had 10 days on using the goes and it's already peeling and wearing out. not to mention it gets wet on the inside easily. 

If I wanted to go to another brand for my shoes, I mean, what option would I have? Do I just have to wear it (pun not intended) and be uncomfortable? I mean.. for me I know it may be as easy as getting a sole with arch support, but it just seemed that most places that fitted me implied that I'm stuck with a particular brand. 
This more so as I've noticed stores saying "well... you really shouldn't be looking at the colors, coz you may not be able to wear them...."

I mean.. what happens if I go back to the same place and say I want another pair of boots, and I don't want DC's coz they wear out too easily. What will they do then? (Hell I'm almost tempted to do that.) 

Anyways, just a thought that I had coz of my experience. Hope ppls can help a brother out. =) 
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by grunge

Okay, just on what you said, I sorta have a query, and I should explain the reason behind it.
Firstly I have a very flat arch. If I dip my foot in water and take a walk it looks like a duck's footprint. 

When I was getting fitted for a pair of boots, I was told that not every boot will fit everyone. That I understand, and that it's a process of elimination.
But on this, it's not possible that I'm stuck with just one particular brand right?

I mean when I got fitted I ended up with DC's because they have good arch support for the boots. I mean, I did try different types of burton, forum and even 32. They weren't as comfy due to lack of arch support. (I would have gone for the 32's otherwise.)

The reason I say this is coz I know that DC's wear out easily, and it's already showing. I've had 10 days on using the goes and it's already peeling and wearing out. not to mention it gets wet on the inside easily. 

If I wanted to go to another brand for my shoes, I mean, what option would I have? Do I just have to wear it (pun not intended) and be uncomfortable? I mean.. for me I know it may be as easy as getting a sole with arch support, but it just seemed that most places that fitted me implied that I'm stuck with a particular brand. 
This more so as I've noticed stores saying "well... you really shouldn't be looking at the colors, coz you may not be able to wear them...."

I mean.. what happens if I go back to the same place and say I want another pair of boots, and I don't want DC's coz they wear out too easily. What will they do then? (Hell I'm almost tempted to do that.) 

Anyways, just a thought that I had coz of my experience. Hope ppls can help a brother out. =) 

Even within brands, not all models will fit the same. You're not going to be stuck with DC boots, but at the end of the day, they might still produce the models that fit your feet best. The key is to try on as many boots as you can next time you're shopping for them.

I know your boots are wearing quickly, but you really can't put a price on the comfort that comes from boots that fit well.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 4:24pm
if you're just starting to snowboard (and even if you're not), u can look into the Morrow brand.  They're a lesser-known brand so its significantly cheaper, but the quality is still definitely there. i wore mine for 4-5 seasons and its held up great. still the same waterproof-ness. only reason i got new boots is cus the padding inside was wearing thin since i used it so much.

but yeah, reg price for Morrow boots is like 80-150. on sale u can pull them off for 40-90 new
greenmnmsi View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Ride wit me

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 4:40pm
I just got a couple pairs of Burtons when they were on sale here, and sent back the size that didnt fit!
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 7:44pm
arch support should be tackled by aftermarket footbeds like superfeer, not the stock ones that come with the boots.  they all suck.

ive had boots that fit alright with stock footbeds, and then when i put my superfeet in, its totally different and they feel awesome.

my favorite boots ever that fit me perfectly (nike zoom forces) are amazing with superfeet, but they dont feel that great with the stock insole.
Peekaboo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:20pm
Just as spencer said, you really have to try them on. And please dont go cheap with boot, its one of the most important equipment you want to have that is comfortable, it a difference of you enjoying you day or not.

Hey spencer, Imma have to try the superfeet, where can I get it?
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:23pm
online, or probably at any foot store, or plenty of outdoor stores.
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:31pm
I think most people assume when they plunk down $200-300, every part of those boots is gonna be high quality stuff. Unfortunately, this is never the case for the insoles... Seriously, take them out and take a GOOD look at them. The majority of the time, they are made of really cheap material. It feels like the material they make egg cartons with. The insoles in most of my sneakers (Vans/Converse) are higher quality than any of my burton/flow boots.

At most decent stores, they have demo superfeet or whatever insoles you can try on with the shoes/boots you are trying. Makes a difference so don't forget that when trying on boots. I have the blue superfeet (my arches are very low) and they are very comfy.

humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:37pm
Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
bugsbunnymydad View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
daddy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 9:45pm
^^^

They dont have a lot of sizes left though, hopefully they get more in soon. (Unless Superfeet is somehow under the Burton empireDisapprove hah) The lady needs the hot pink ones in sz 7.

classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by bugsbunnymydad

^^^

They dont have a lot of sizes left though, hopefully they get more in soon. (Unless Superfeet is somehow under the Burton empireDisapprove hah) The lady needs the hot pink ones in sz 7.

On that note, why is the pink one about $10 more expensive than the other colours?
Wilz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/27/2010 at 11:44pm
go to a store.. try them all on.. and pick which ever boot is most comfortable and with good fit.. the store people are great help too
deuceman08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2010 at 3:54am
Everyones foot is unique. You need to try them on and see what is most comfortable. The big question would be if you like a stiffer boot or not?
chenmt View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2010 at 11:36am
i dont think theres such a thing as boots for beginners. splurge on your boots, they usually last the longest. money should not be a limiting factor here. one, you always keep the comfiest pair, two, binders break the easiest, and three, you always find new boards you want to try or buy.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 3:51am
get boots that are comfortable and in your price range, if you want to save money then don't get BOAs for instance.

Fit and comfort are your main considerations
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 4:40am
Originally posted by grunge

It's not specific to a brand.  I would also recommend if you find a pair of boots that you love but don't fit exactly right, try it with different things.  Different socks, different types of supports (with your flat arch, maybe some insoles).  My recommendation is to try them on with the boots before you buy.  That way you can make sure that is what you need.

With me, I hardly ever wear snowboard/ski socks anymore.  I wear soccer socks.  The winter specific socks were too bulky for me.

I do have to say that my fit is weird...  and I even got a pair of boots to fit.  I have really thick calves and wide feet.  My ankles are very skinny.  I had to get a pair of shorter height boots (for the calf fit.  When I tried them on, they were the only ones that fit like a glove.  I bought some pretty expensive boots, but I know they fit.  I have been rocking them for about 6 years now and dread the day that either they pack out too much and no longer fit the way they should or they completely blow out.   I know they'll have advancements in boots since I've bought mine, but I know that it's going to be the same struggle to find exactly the right fit.

Be patient and get something that's perfect for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply