Direct Link To This Post Topic: can you wax a board with a regular iron-
    Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:11am
any other tips to tuning up?
kingman756 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:22am
yep that what i use. dont go to goodwill and get one cuz theyre like 5 bucks while target sells brand new ones for 6. just adjust the the heat on it and youll be fine.
SnowSurfr View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:28am
yes, watch the heat though you can burn your base if it's too hot! you won't be able to use the iron for clothes again so don't take your moms or girlfriends or wifes iron or you'll catch crap for it. there are alot of threads online even on this forum about hot waxing so look it up and do it yourself. 
play young stay young!
jjang1294 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 1:35pm
I've seen irons on sale at REI sometimes for about 10-15 bucks. I like the irons made for waxing skis and boards cuz they're a lot smaller in size and I can control everything a little easier. Or just do what everyone usually does and get any cheap iron from the store. Make sure you check out the video that's on this site on waxing...it's a good one.
dishz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 1:36pm
Yeah you can, just watch out for the heat .. my friend melted a bit of his board and had to sand it down
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 4:13pm
for the difference in cost I would go with an iron made for melting wax but that is just me as long as I could find one on sale.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 4:15pm
You can get cheap flat irons off sites like steep and cheap, brociety, and Tramdock.  Its worth it to avoid the hassle of getting wax in the holes of a normal cloths iron.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 4:17pm
You can wax a board with a hot pan if you needed too.
Any iron will work fine, holes or not. Just make sure if you get one with holes it is designated as you waxing iron and know about the house so someone doesn't iron wax residue into their clothing.
I'm just here to look cool...

www.angrysnowboarder.com
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 4:18pm
I heard it didn't work very well because the steam holes in the iron screwed up the wax; but I've only used a wax iron.  I would suggest getting one made for waxing so you don't mess up the iron that you would possibly need for clothes at some point.  My best advice would be to get a heat gun.  They work the best for me.
izobaric View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 4:21pm
Normal iron works fine if it's only used on waxing your board.
BoxStomper View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 5:56pm
i use an iron my parents had when they were younger. so its pretty old. no holes. i leave the temp set on it so i never mess with it. and its got wax all over the thing stuck to it. only for waxing boards...
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:04pm
I've been doing that for the past 3 seasons with an oil iron. just be careful because it might get too hot and u dont want to be burning the wax. if it starts smoking/smelling then you know its too hot. also u shouldnt be using the iron on clothes anymore
Jerry View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sketchy

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:07pm
Finding one without holes (actually meant for waxing) for cheap is gonna be a little difficult.
I got one from Walmart two year ago for $4.99 that I use for all my waxing.  Its cheap and easy.  I would like to upgrade, but, its hard to justify for 10 times the cost...

Walmart sells an IRON right now for 9 bucks.  Free shipping too, I think

Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by kymerj1

I heard it didn't work very well because the steam holes in the iron screwed up the wax; but I've only used a wax iron.  I would suggest getting one made for waxing so you don't mess up the iron that you would possibly need for clothes at some point.  My best advice would be to get a heat gun.  They work the best for me.

How would the steam holes screw up the wax? Does the wax know there are holes in the iron? Nope. If you have water in your iron and creating steam then i could see maybe, but then i would have to ask why are you trying to steam iron wax anyways...
oh and heat gun is an absolutely awful idea/way of waxing.

(Insert Face-Palm Here)

www.angrysnowboarder.com
CO_champagne View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:29pm
I've waxed my board every weekend for the past 7 seasons with a regular iron with holes. 15 bucks at walmart. You really don't need to get some specialty irons. I fly past my buddies all the time
BigBadPooH View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:46pm
Just have to watch out for the heat.
EpicFAIL View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:49pm
You can use a clothes iron to wax your board, but once you do that, don't try to iron your clothes... Unless you want them to fly down the mountain.
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:50pm
you are much better off getting one without holes thats made for waxing.  At the end of the season, you can usually get them for 50-70% off online.  They have them alot on tramdock and steep and cheap too.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
ryanhealey5 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:53pm
you can, just get an old one without that teflon coating and if possible one that doesnt use steam
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:53pm
Holes in your iron don't really matter.  Maybe it makes the wax slightly less even, but your scrapping it all off anyway.
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 6:58pm
I got a small tuning iron for cheap and the temperature seems more consistent (a little) but the bigger benefit is that there's a concave face so it spreads a little more easily.  But it's pretty negligible.  If I hadn't picked it up cheap on ebay I would have just used a travel iron.

Don't worry about the iron screwing up the wax.  I'd be more concerned with the wax screwing up the iron if it has holes in it.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Scorer099

How would the steam holes screw up the wax? Does the wax know there are holes in the iron? Nope. If you have water in your iron and creating steam then i could see maybe, but then i would have to ask why are you trying to steam iron wax anyways...

(Insert Face-Palm Here)
Are you stupid?  Try using a heat gun, it works amazing.  It takes half as long and spread the waz on more evenly leaving less waste to scrap off.
Don't speak if you don't know what you're talking about.
atcskatedecks View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:14pm
anything can be done, doesnt meen everything is good

and to all u people who say the holes dont matter, the only reason they are their is to let steam out of the iron meaning that that water is gunna mix with the wax ruining the intended mixture of ingredients,
what i am trying to say that it is not the holes themselves that are the problem, but rather what they are there for
Stryker View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:23pm
YEs you can but probablynot the best iron.
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:35pm
ive seen some youtube videos of ppl doing it with an iron, but dont plan on using it for your nice shirts ever again
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by atcskatedecks

and to all u people who say the holes dont matter, the only reason they are their is to let steam out of the iron meaning that that water is gunna mix with the wax ruining the intended mixture of ingredients,
what i am trying to say that it is not the holes themselves that are the problem, but rather what they are there for

you won't have any stream if you don't put any water in the iron. that's why the holes doesn't matter at all unless someone like to steam the wax, that's different story.

and for whoever say the heat gun work the best for him/her. how you put the wax in and how long does it take to wax the whole board, i don't see it can be done under 2 mins for any size. just wondering.
hmmm... Now What???   
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:52pm

(Insert Face-Palm Here)
Are you stupid?  Try using a heat gun, it works amazing.  It takes half as long and spread the waz on more evenly leaving less waste to scrap off.

You are right i am very stupid. I probably learned my stupidity from working in a reputable service shop. I've done it with a heat gun before and it is absolutely no quicker than using an iron. And most heat guns don't have very good temperature controls, get it too hot or too close to the base and you will bubble this crap out of it much quicker than you could a waxing iron.
But hey, what do i know i'm an idiot, and i guess every manufacturer of tuning supplies is as well since i don't believe any company makes a waxing heat gun... good try though.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by atcskatedecks

You have to put water into the iron to have steam come out of the holes... have mommy show you how an iron works.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
taiguy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
no insta-death

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 7:55pm
will have to agree with JR on this one. i've used a "regular" iron for the last 5 years... bought from goodwill for $8. So long as there is no water in the reservoir no steam can come out.

I'd be wary of heat guns as well... those things are hot enough to cause paint to bubble and peel off. Not sure if I'd want one of those on my base... Instant delam?
Fearme View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:17pm
I don't know where to begin with the level of stupidity from some people on here. Is your mom also your cousin or what?

Ok first off the holes in an iron only effect it if you start plucking the burnt in wax out of there and smooshing that into your base, now I don't know about you but I'm not about doing that. Otherwise it doesn't do crap now if it's teflon coated yeah that's not going to be good when it flakes off into your base.

As for the steam, water, mixing crap What the shtook are you smoking you god damn retard? Seriously are you turning on the steam option? Plus guess what water and wax mixing yeah not going to effect crap now if you're down there pouring your anal lube that's left over from your 200 man gang bang there might be an issue.

Also a heat gun for waxing are you shtooking mentally challenged Good job buddy way to seal the pores on the base of your board. The only time you ever use a heat gun on the base of a board is when you're repairing it. Oh but look at me I'm on the internet and I'm being a keyboard hero on a shitty snowboard shops shitty forum I know all and can call people stupid. Yeah listen here male genitalia it's people like you that burn your base then bring it to people like me and I say yeah you shtooked it you god damn tard and then you get all butt hurt and want me to warranty it and I tell you that you're a shtooking retard. Then you go home and cry using your tears as lubrication as you jerk off.

joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:23pm
This topic has been addressed numerous times.  Please try to use the search function before starting a new thread.  Here are some past threads where you can read what other people have said:
http://www.sierrasnowboard.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36666&PID=733609

You are right i am very stupid. I probably learned my stupidity from working in a reputable service shop. I've done it with a heat gun before and it is absolutely no quicker than using an iron. And most heat guns don't have very good temperature controls, get it too hot or too close to the base and you will bubble this crap out of it much quicker than you could a waxing iron.
But hey, what do i know i'm an idiot, and i guess every manufacturer of tuning supplies is as well since i don't believe any company makes a waxing heat gun... good try though.

I second the pure stupidity of using a heat gun.  I agree with Scorer about the temp controls.  Even if you don't cause noticeable damage (bubbling) you can slightly melt the base enough for the pours to permanently close and not hold wax as well anymore.   (But don't take my word for it, I only worked in a repair shop for 10 years)
Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
boarderbuddy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/29/2010 at 8:44pm
I ended up using a heat gun once :( but it came out ok in the end but not great... but thats because i was being ghetto :(
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 8:12am
waxing is for furry kitties.

I'm here for the gangbang....
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 8:14am
Originally posted by joness

This topic has been addressed numerous times.  Please try to use the search function before starting a new thread.  Here are some past threads where you can read what other people have said:

I second the pure stupidity of using a heat gun.  I agree with Scorer about the temp controls.  Even if you don't cause noticeable damage (bubbling) you can slightly melt the base enough for the pours to permanently close and not hold wax as well anymore.   (But don't take my word for it, I only worked in a repair shop for 10 years)

Then you should know that P-Tex doesn't have pores...... just nooks, crannies, valleys and peaks.
started by flossers making floss for flossers
RideTimeless View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 8:25am
Originally posted by myke

waxing is for furry kitties.

+1 YES!!! Just don't use a regular iron on the furry kitties.  They require special tools and technique.  You're going to hurt the kitty if you use a regular iron.

For the OP, regular iron is ok, look at the other threads, holes or no holes doesn't matter, teflon or no teflon, doesn't matter, if you burn your wax and smoke starts coming off the iron, turn down the heat.  Should be as low as possible to melt the wax.
Did you google it?
joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:01am
Originally posted by rook

Then you should know that P-Tex doesn't have pores...... just nooks, crannies, valleys and peaks.

Do you want to get into semantics rook?  The main idea of hot waxing vs cold waxing is that the heat expands the pours to absorb the wax.

Big Air. Kids today, that's all they want, big air. I say stick to the mountain. That's where the fun is. You want big air kid? Pull my finger.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:06am

Do you want to get into semantics rook?  The main idea of hot waxing vs cold waxing is that the heat expands the pours to absorb the wax.

You are incorrect........ I can show you here (links into this thread) or you can search online for your self.  P-Tex is a solid material that has no pores, just nooks, crannies, valleys, hills etc.  

Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:08am
Just wait unti the end of the season and you can grab a real wax iron for around $8-10.  I picked up one at the local ski shop a few seasons ago in like april and got one for cheap.  Also its a good time to buy wax
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:11am
See no pores........ The wax adhesion is relative to direct contact to the millions mini-surfaces, and hot waxing exposes more of these surfaces (heating and cooling cause expansion and contraction of the nooks, crannies, valleys).

snow4life View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
my sexy bike

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:13am
do you HAVE to wax your board every season?
shakazulu12:(2:15PM) Nyle (Giftedhands) gets really big and turns green when angry.

BAAHAhahahahha
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:36am
Originally posted by snow4life

do you HAVE to wax your board every season?

Sintered base- Wax often.
Extruded base- Wax whenever you feel like it.
mrrorydigital View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:45am
What about back waxing? How often would you recommend that? I'm thinking twice a season and i'm gonna use a heat gun to do it. Does sierra have personal waxing kits for 70% off?
not-ewrx View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:46am
Steel is a solid structure that has tons of pores.  There is a whole science to the study.

The whole reason for stintering a base it to create micro-vacancies for wax to in-bed itself.  I'd like to see what the micro structure of a stintered base looks like, I'm willing to bet it resembles "pores".
bonkfisher5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Stepchild Chi Borg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:47am
Edit: Found my answer
Sorry Phatman (Jesus)
Crushing the whistler bike park! Check it out! http://www.pinkbike.com/video/215809/
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:54am
did you even read any of this thread?
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 10:59am
Originally posted by not-ewrx

Steel is a solid structure that has tons of pores.  There is a whole science to the study.

The whole reason for stintering a base it to create micro-vacancies for wax to in-bed itself.  I'd like to see what the micro structure of a stintered base looks like, I'm willing to bet it resembles "pores".

See the picture I just posted..... 500X magnification, no pores.

*** the following stolen from TGR:

The producers of UHMWPE says the following:

Regarding "porosity" in UHMWPE skibases:
There are no "pores" in press sintered UHMWPE as some wax manufacturers tell the people
since 40 years.
(I guess the "pore-myth" comes from long ago, when ski had no PE base and the gliding area
consisted of the wood the ski were made of.
Wood is indeed porous in structure, so the wood cells (pores) could be filled with wax)
Back to UHMWPE: As stated no "pores" are in the material.
The mechanism of waxabsorption in UHMWPE is simple: By bringing the UHMWPE base
material in contact with hot wax ( Paraffin) this "low molecular PE"
goes into solution in the amorphos regions of the amorphous/crystalline PE.[as the old
chemists said: "similia similibus solvuntur" ].
By cooling down the skibase (on snow) there is a tendency of the wax to migrate out of the PE matrix as the solubility is a function of temperature.
I am working in R+D of skibases since 38 years and as stated above, have never seen a
"pore" in UHMWPE, but false theories are unfortunately longliving!!
Have a nice day
Urs Geissb├╝hler
Chemical Engineer
Research & Development Manager
IMS Kunststoff AG
R├╝timoosstrasse 5
CH-3076 Worb
SWITZERLAND
tel: +41(0)31 838 0215

joness View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 11:19am

You are incorrect........ I can show you here (links into this thread) or you can search online for your self.  P-Tex is a solid material that has no pores, just nooks, crannies, valleys, hills etc.  

Apparently you do want to argue semantics.
Here you go Rook, this is just for you.

Pore:1.a minute opening or orifice, as in the skin or a leaf, for perspiration, absorption, etc.  2. a minute interstice, as in a rock.

Interstice: A space, especially a small or narrow one, between things or parts

Valley: An elongated lowland between ranges of mountains, hills etc. (and this are minute since they need to be magnified 500x to see them)

So instead of saying "hot wax expands the nooks, crannies, valleys.."  it is accepted in the ski/snowboarding world to say "hot wax expands the pores"  It is easier and everyone understands.
Tomato Tomato Rook - but go ahead and keep arguing, you are amusing me.
rook View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 11:26am
I am not arguing with you I am just saying that since you used to be a shop-person you should know the truth.   I also learned this not to long ago (last year, after many years of believing the same thing you did),  you can call it whatever you want this is just an FYI type thing. 
kymerj1 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2010 at 2:03pm
[QUOTE=Fearme]I don't know where to begin with the level of stupidity from some people on here. Is your mom also your cousin or what?

Ok first off the holes in an iron only effect it if you start plucking the burnt in wax out of there and smooshing that into your base, now I don't know about you but I'm not about doing that. Otherwise it doesn't do crap now if it's teflon coated yeah that's not going to be good when it flakes off into your base.

As for the steam, water, mixing crap What the shtook are you smoking you god damn retard? Seriously are you turning on the steam option? Plus guess what water and wax mixing yeah not going to effect crap now if you're down there pouring your anal lube that's left over from your 200 man gang bang there might be an issue.

Also a heat gun for waxing are you shtooking mentally challenged Good job buddy way to seal the pores on the base of your board. The only time you ever use a heat gun on the base of a board is when you're repairing it. Oh but look at me I'm on the internet and I'm being a keyboard hero on a shitty snowboard shops shitty forum I know all and can call people stupid. Yeah listen here male genitalia it's people like you that burn your base then bring it to people like me and I say yeah you shtooked it you god damn tard and then you get all butt hurt and want me to warranty it and I tell you that you're a shtooking retard. Then you go home and cry using your tears as lubrication as you jerk off.

I don't don't know what heat gun you're using but it produces much less heat than an iron and wouldn't melt p-tex.
Scorer099 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/31/2010 at 9:42am

I am not arguing with you I am just saying that since you used to be a shop-person you should know the truth.   I also learned this not to long ago (last year, after many years of believing the same thing you did),  you can call it whatever you want this is just an FYI type thing. 

Arguing with her is like arguing like arguing with a brick wall.... pointless.

www.angrysnowboarder.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>