Jesus Christ

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 44>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus Christ
    Posted: Yesterday at 9:21pm
Originally posted by kegan27r

Just found this forum, gotta say it was encouraging to see and i hope everyone gets encouragement out of this as well.
Welcome and God bless!
kegan27r View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Online
  Quote kegan27r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 7:40am
Just found this forum, gotta say it was encouraging to see and i hope everyone gets encouragement out of this as well.
Software_Lax20 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2015 at 9:19am
Has anyone noticed how God himself changes throughout the Bible? The grace he shows becomes more and more evident as time went on. And His power is shown in more and more ways.
snowboardslider View Drop Down
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2015 at 1:20am
Originally posted by JoeyGlazer

^ I don't think so, you need bitterness, rage and anger to succeed in the USMC.  Did you get your braces removed yet?  I have pliers and am ready to assist.

Recommended watching:  Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead
ha, you're probably right about that. I can't wait to crush someone with a pugil stick. Rah! yes, the braces are FINALLY off! I do look forward to seeing Jarhead, but I'm thinking about saving F.M.J. for after boot. don't want to get any wrong ideas in my head. for the record, I awoke at 0400 this morning after hitting the rack at 2000. did like 3-400 squats yesterday and will be doing pushups with a goal of 500. I intersperse them with a game of tetris for every set of 5. (squats was a set of 10)
JoeyGlazer View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 7:23am
^ I don't think so, you need bitterness, rage and anger to succeed in the USMC.  Did you get your braces removed yet?  I have pliers and am ready to assist.

Recommended watching:  Full Metal Jacket and Jarhead
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2015 at 7:17am
update on my progress in the Celebrate Recovery program. With every experience, I learn more and more about the denial I've lived in for most of my life and the wounds are starting to heal through Jesus Christ, whom I am a firm believer in. The Holy Spirit is showing me how to 'put aside all bitterness, rage, and anger.' a good step to climb before joining the USMC, eh?
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/24/2015 at 5:33pm
well said, er, quoted Sgreen.
so I've been on a roller coaster for a while now. attending a group called celebrate recovery for Co-Dependency. great meetings. the more I learn about my hurts, habits, and hang-ups, the more I realize my need for and acceptance of what Jesus did for me.
my life started spinning out of control. loosing sanity, peace, and joy as I continued to pursue what I thought I needed, right now - the United States Marine Corps.
I still feel God will allow me to join eventually, but after the completion of the Celebrate Recovery program. struggling now to just accept the love God has for me, and walk in His peace, thanking Him for every second of every day. #SerenityPrayer
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 5:48pm
Stephen Hawking: "Religion is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." To which John Lennox replied, "Atheism is a fairy story for people afraid of the light." Smile
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2015 at 9:25am
My wife and I were having a similar discussion yesterday. She is struggling with our church because her friends at the church don't show much resemblance of Christ. They go to the services, help out at satellite churches, go on mission trips; but they don't treat her or other members with such kindness, compassion, selflessness, etc.

It's sad to see how someone who already believes is unhappy with being around leaders of the church so how are those that are trying or wanting to believe supposed to react.

The even sadder part is that this is probably common in more churches than one would think.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2015 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Software_Lax20

Sorry humblerooster. The second quote should go to your credit. My apologies.

I was reading how people break up into two groups. The greedy and the generous. That's who people are in the core and their actions show it.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2015 at 6:21am
Sorry humblerooster. The second quote should go to your credit. My apologies.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2015 at 6:20am
Originally posted by sgreen

Just look at our politics and our legal system, for two examples.

Originally posted by ??

Seems like people don't care for one another as much. Everything is becoming so competitive that people are more worried about themselves instead of caring and serving others.

And this is nothing new. The Bible gives many examples of how selfishness is abundant in society. And not just to those in power but the "average Joe" as well. Many say that selfishness is the root of sin (and by 'root' I don't mean the origin of sin).
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2015 at 8:35pm

If you look at the Greek language there are multiple forms of the word "love".
  • Agape
  • Eros
  • Philia
  • Storge

It would be nice if the English language had something similar. Although I feel like our culture would still find ways to diminish the power of words.
Just look at our politics and our legal system, for two examples.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2015 at 3:13pm

• Agape
  • Eros
  • Philia
  • Storge

It would be nice if the English language had something similar. Although I feel like our culture would still find ways to diminish the power of words.

Seems like people don't care for one another as much. Everything is becoming so competitive that people are more worried about themselves instead of caring and serving others.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2015 at 1:55pm
  • Agape
  • Eros
  • Philia
  • Storge

fat_theo View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fat_theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/15/2015 at 2:31pm
Very true. The difference here is that we talk of and mean Christian love which is completely different to the platonic love that most people describe. Christ wants us to be like Him. It is something that I will never stop striving for.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 11:39am

<font id="yui_3_16_0_1_1423935782023_4301" size="3">A new commandment I
give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye
also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my
disciples, if ye have love one to another.  John 13:34-35Happy Valentines Day, Everyone!

This is so important but it seems like people over use the word love and it's starting to lose it's meaning. I've been working on this in my life.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2015 at 10:21am
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.  John 13:34-35

Happy Valentines Day, Everyone!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/12/2015 at 6:29am
Ephesians 2:13
But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
vantec View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote vantec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2015 at 1:38pm

1 Corinthians 12:1-11

The doctrine of the Trinity is an important cornerstone of Christian belief. In 1 Corinthians 12:4-6,
Paul refers to the deep relationship among the three persons of the
Trinity: the Spirit, the Lord (Christ) and God (the Father). He
illustrates how unity in the church — in terms of spiritual gifts, kinds
of service and kinds of working — should reflect the unity of the
Trinity. But how does the relationship among the persons of the Trinity
provide evidence of Jesus’ divine nature?

<p id="yui_3_16_0_1_1422715839476_11829">Although the term Trinity is never used in the Bible, the early church fathers discerned the concept from verses like Matthew 28:19, 2 Corinthians 13:14. In fact, the relationship of the Trinity can be
traced throughout Scripture. For instance, consider how all were present
at Creation: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth …
the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters” (Genesis 1:1-2). And Colossions 1:16 says of the Son, “For in him all things were created.”

<p id="yui_3_16_0_1_1422715839476_12786">Yet, as Scriptures like Deuteronomy 6:4 reveal, there is only one God. Although each person of the Trinity is distinct, all share the same essence, or nature.

<p id="yui_3_16_0_1_1422715839476_12792">Philosopher
Norman Geisler says that another way to think about the Trinity is as
one “What” and three “Whos.” Says Geisler: “The three Whos (persons)
each share the same What (essence). So God is a unity of essence with a
plurality of persons. Each person is different, yet they share a common
nature.”

<p id="yui_3_16_0_1_1422715839476_12793">As difficult as it
is to grasp, the concept of the Trinity verifies the divine status of
Jesus. Far from being one of many prophets or religious leaders, Jesus
is the very essence of God.

From Investigating The Bible

God bless.

It was hard for me to grasp the understanding of the Trinity. I will have to learn about this tmr at mass.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2015 at 7:57am
1 Corinthians 12:1-11

The doctrine of the Trinity is an important cornerstone of Christian belief. In 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, Paul refers to the deep relationship among the three persons of the Trinity: the Spirit, the Lord (Christ) and God (the Father). He illustrates how unity in the church — in terms of spiritual gifts, kinds of service and kinds of working — should reflect the unity of the Trinity. But how does the relationship among the persons of the Trinity provide evidence of Jesus’ divine nature?

Although the term Trinity is never used in the Bible, the early church fathers discerned the concept from verses like Matthew 28:19, 2 Corinthians 13:14. In fact, the relationship of the Trinity can be traced throughout Scripture. For instance, consider how all were present at Creation: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth … the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters” (Genesis 1:1-2). And Colossions 1:16 says of the Son, “For in him all things were created.”

Yet, as Scriptures like Deuteronomy 6:4 reveal, there is only one God. Although each person of the Trinity is distinct, all share the same essence, or nature.

Philosopher Norman Geisler says that another way to think about the Trinity is as one “What” and three “Whos.” Says Geisler: “The three Whos (persons) each share the same What (essence). So God is a unity of essence with a plurality of persons. Each person is different, yet they share a common nature.”

As difficult as it is to grasp, the concept of the Trinity verifies the divine status of Jesus. Far from being one of many prophets or religious leaders, Jesus is the very essence of God.

From Investigating The Bible

God bless.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2015 at 3:46pm
Romans 6:12
Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, to make you obey its passions.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 3:57pm

Have you all read any books that have helped you in your faith or helped in sharing your faith? Maybe one that gave you answers or showed you something that you had never thought about?

Book of James! He talks about being joyful during times of trouble because even when you lose everything, you will still have Jesus. Jesus is everything. This helps me everyday.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2015 at 6:19am
Have you all read any books that have helped you in your faith or helped in sharing your faith? Maybe one that gave you answers or showed you something that you had never thought about?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2015 at 6:28am
Galatians 5;16
But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2015 at 7:09am
Ephesians 1:7
     In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace,
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2015 at 2:41pm
2 Corinthians 1:21
     And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2014 at 7:27am
"Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys." - 2 Kings 2:23-25 NIV

Blueman View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Blueman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2014 at 5:48am
Thanks - hope you had a great Christmas!
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by snowboardslider

Merry Christmas everyone!
Thanks, Slider. Hoping the same for you and yours.
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2014 at 7:58am
Merry Christmas everyone!
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2014 at 3:09pm
hey guys, I'm on my way to a group at our church called Celebrate Recovery - healing from hurts, hobbits, and hangups. oops, did I say habits? lol. on that note, anyone see the new LOTR movie yet?
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by jbrandonb11

When you guys are chattin with the big guy upstairs don't forget:  Pray for Snow, a long riding season, and while you're at it throw in a good word for me! Wink
I sure will Brandon! God, I pray that you will allow us to receive a foot or two of snow this winter, and that the season will go into April, and for Brandon to come to know of your love, and how you know how to give good gifts, Amen!!
jbrandonb11 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jbrandonb11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2014 at 3:16pm
When you guys are chattin with the big guy upstairs don't forget:  Pray for Snow, a long riding season, and while you're at it throw in a good word for me! Wink
Joshua
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 10:50am

Also, in being faithful in the small things will help you be faithful in the big things also. You can grow in Christ. God knows that we will still sin after being saved. But making that commitment to try and push Satan out of our lives, push the worldly pleasures out of our lives is where God will find joy. And when God has joy in us, we have joy in Him.
wow, thanks chillax. (hope you don't mind that term) that's totally where I'm at right now. desiring to draw closer to God through immediate obedience, and accepting His mercy and grace when I fall short. I usually hang out in the guilt of False Humility and Pride simultaneously. trying to accept that through Christ I will do and be awesomeness, and like Jesus, will be sought after to be put on a pedestal. I'm ready for it now. so when the praise comes, I know where it needs to go.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2014 at 6:23am
Also, in being faithful in the small things will help you be faithful in the big things also. You can grow in Christ. God knows that we will still sin after being saved. But making that commitment to try and push Satan out of our lives, push the worldly pleasures out of our lives is where God will find joy. And when God has joy in us, we have joy in Him.
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 7:58pm

Luke 18:27
But He said, "What is impossible with man is possible with God."
chillax software, I totally agree with you. I'm learning that the small things are big to God. (responsibility, being faithful in the small things). and the big things are small to him. (His resources, freely poured out when we are obedient)
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2014 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by JoeyGlazer

I usually avoid this thread but this post ^ caught my eye.  Absolutely horrible.  What kind of person does something like that?  Savages.
I feel ya Joey. for people to have such an attitude about the body that God gave them is messed up. though you have to understand, it's just how people(including myself) think when we aren't living life in God's love.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2014 at 6:13am
Luke 18:27
But He said, "What is impossible with man is possible with God."
JoeyGlazer View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JoeyGlazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2014 at 6:10am
I usually avoid this thread but this post ^ caught my eye.  Absolutely horrible.  What kind of person does something like that?  Savages.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2014 at 10:01pm
Brave. May God be with their families. This won't be the last time we hear these types of reports.

http://aclj.org/jihad/isis-reportedly-beheads-four-christian-children-in-iraq-for-refusing-to-convert-to-islam?sf34506665=1
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 11:30am

Some years ago, the well-known astronomer Hugh Ross and I were taking part in a radio talk show at Ohio State University. We were discussing some theme related to the origin of the universe when an irate woman called in and began to attack us with a volley of words. Her charge was that our conversation was really nothing more than a smoke screen for reversing Roe versus Wade and taking away a woman's right to an abortion. Remember,we were talking about the origin of the universe. Throughout her tirade she repeatedly insisted, "It's my moral right to do what I choose to do with my body!"

Finally, when she paused for a breath, I said, "All right ma'am, since you brought it up, I'd like to ask you a question. Can you explain something to me? When a plane crashes and some die while others live, a skeptic calls into question God's moral character, saying that he has chosen some to live and others to die on a whim; yet you say it is your moral right to choose whether the child within you should live or die. Does that not sound odd to you? When God decides who should live or die, he is immoral. When you decide who should live or die, it's your moral right."

There was a pin-drop silence.

A person may dismissively say that he or she does not see a moral order. But I strongly suspect that the real issue is not an absence of moral order in the world but the insistence on determining for oneself what is good and what is evil, in spite of what we intuitively know to be true.

-  Ravi Zacharias (The End Of Reason, pages 59-60)

wow, sgreen. that's deep. I find myself questioning out loud things like that. backwards logic that makes sense in the mind decrepit from not following Christ. I walked away for a bit, but I'm back. good thing He never left or forsake me. :)
Local
Local
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2014 at 11:26am
hey guys. just wanted to put up a blast on what I'm thankful as we transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas. so, here we go.
1. Honda Accord 1998 Standard Transmission Dx.
2. Snowboard getup. everything.
3. my fam.
4. America, the land that I love, and live in. Far from perfection or complete disorder.
5. the legit snow we received for Thanksgiving.
6. snowboarding at Big Boulder opening day, and days after.
7. season pass to Camelback Mountain Resort.
8. our dog, Lilac. 6 months old. 
9. the opportunity to love people less fortunate.
10. The hope I have in Jesus. True life, joy, and happiness. better than all my hopes and dreams. bigger than all my fears and inadequacies.
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2014 at 10:40am

I want to instantiate a challenge.

From Thanksgiving to Christmas I want you all to share the Gospel with those whom you don't see.

Here's an example. I am pledging to leave Bible verses on my desk in my cubicle and when the cleaning crew comes by at night I want them to see the verse and have it spark something in them. Maybe they vacuum it up. Maybe the put it in the trash. Maybe the put it in their pocket. Overtime, I'm hoping that the words they read will move within them. Although I never see the cleaning crew, I want to share the good news of God.

For some of you, this example is applicable. For some, it may not be. All I'm saying is to find a way to remind our global neighbors that we love them. Because God meant it when he said "Love thy neighbor" (Matthew 22:39).

That is a cool idea. I am in.
tazsurf View Drop Down
Local
Local
Me and my nephew

Quote tazsurf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2014 at 7:00pm
http://www.christianrock.net/
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/29/2014 at 12:26am
Some years ago, the well-known astronomer Hugh Ross and I were taking part in a radio talk show at Ohio State University. We were discussing some theme related to the origin of the universe when an irate woman called in and began to attack us with a volley of words. Her charge was that our conversation was really nothing more than a smoke screen for reversing Roe versus Wade and taking away a woman's right to an abortion. Remember,we were talking about the origin of the universe. Throughout her tirade she repeatedly insisted, "It's my moral right to do what I choose to do with my body!"

Finally, when she paused for a breath, I said, "All right ma'am, since you brought it up, I'd like to ask you a question. Can you explain something to me? When a plane crashes and some die while others live, a skeptic calls into question God's moral character, saying that he has chosen some to live and others to die on a whim; yet you say it is your moral right to choose whether the child within you should live or die. Does that not sound odd to you? When God decides who should live or die, he is immoral. When you decide who should live or die, it's your moral right."

There was a pin-drop silence.

A person may dismissively say that he or she does not see a moral order. But I strongly suspect that the real issue is not an absence of moral order in the world but the insistence on determining for oneself what is good and what is evil, in spite of what we intuitively know to be true.

-  Ravi Zacharias (The End Of Reason, pages 59-60)

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2014 at 6:16am
I want to instantiate a challenge.

From Thanksgiving to Christmas I want you all to share the Gospel with those whom you don't see.

Here's an example. I am pledging to leave Bible verses on my desk in my cubicle and when the cleaning crew comes by at night I want them to see the verse and have it spark something in them. Maybe they vacuum it up. Maybe the put it in the trash. Maybe the put it in their pocket. Overtime, I'm hoping that the words they read will move within them. Although I never see the cleaning crew, I want to share the good news of God.

For some of you, this example is applicable. For some, it may not be. All I'm saying is to find a way to remind our global neighbors that we love them. Because God meant it when he said "Love thy neighbor" (Matthew 22:39).
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2014 at 9:40am
This really did help a lot.
We have a discipleship program at my church where two people meet and read through Multiply by Francis Chan. One of the persons is supposed to be like a mentor of sorts to guide the lesson/reading. My partner and I are on the same level but we like to bounce these kind of thought-provoking questions. When I brought this question up it took him a while to answer. It seemed as though he sort of felt the same way.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/16/2014 at 11:32pm

So I've heard a two sides to a coin and I'd liek to see if someone can help enlighten me on something.
As Christians, we are to share the Gospel, correct? But I've heard some leaders/speakers say that we should let God build us up and we should allow the Hoyl Spirit to mature us in our spirituality before we go sharing. I believe Paul also says that our tongues can hurt the spread of the Gospel the most. To me it sounded like he was saying that we should learn and be sure that we know what we speak of before we go and preach the wrong message. Other places I've heard that when we share the Gospel, the Holy Spirit moves in us and puts the words in our mouths for us.

I'm conflicted as to how I am to go about sharing the Gospel. Anyone have any thoughts on how to clear this up?
Always start w/God’s word. It’s the starting point/foundation for everything we know about God and what he wants from/for us. (Look at Psalm 119 and note how the psalmist describes the importance, necessity, etc. of scripture.)

In John 6, Jesus asked the 12 if they would also leave him. Peter’s response was (v.68), “Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.” They understood that Christ was their source of truth (and life). That’s where you start.

In 1 Corinthians 3, Paul says, “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.” That foundation is laid through the teaching of the scriptures. There is revelation involved in our coming to more complete knowledge of truth (Mt. 16:13-17 and related passages in Mk. 8 and Jn. 11), but that revelation is going to be built on/drawn out from the foundation of the scriptures.

In looking at the 2 schools of thought you mentioned, I think there are truths in both. The only problem I see is if you treat both as absolute. I wouldn’t do that with either one. I tend to think that it’s more a case of the Holy Spirit bringing the words out of us than putting them into us at that moment. The word needs to be in us first. He can take a little and make a lot out of it, so the more that is in us the more that can be brought out/multiplied. (Think of the parable of the feeding of the 4000, etc.)

Hopefully, this will give you somewhat of a start toward a resolution to your dilemma. God bless.

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2014 at 6:23am
So I've heard a two sides to a coin and I'd liek to see if someone can help enlighten me on something.
As Christians, we are to share the Gospel, correct? But I've heard some leaders/speakers say that we should let God build us up and we should allow the Hoyl Spirit to mature us in our spirituality before we go sharing. I believe Paul also says that our tongues can hurt the spread of the Gospel the most. To me it sounded like he was saying that we should learn and be sure that we know what we speak of before we go and preach the wrong message. Other places I've heard that when we share the Gospel, the Holy Spirit moves in us and puts the words in our mouths for us.

I'm conflicted as to how I am to go about sharing the Gospel. Anyone have any thoughts on how to clear this up?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 44>