Jesus Christ

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 43>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Software_Lax20 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus Christ
    Posted: Oct/14/2014 at 6:24am
Do y'all have a favourite translation to read from? When you find an interesting or confusing verse do you crack into other translations to explore passages more.
I find myself using the ESV. It cuts down on the fancy wording that most European translations contain so reading is actually less distracting with the "thee", "thy" and all the extra filler while retaining the power and tone that was meant to be read.
jeffmcneelio View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jeffmcneelio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2014 at 10:50am
I would always prefer a laid back "fun" pastor to a real serious pastor. But the important thing is no matter which type of pastor you are following, they must be following the word of God closely. There is nothing in the Bible that says we can't have fun. I love a sermon that leaves you feeling good, and it's important to hear the sermons that challenge you to do better as well. Those don't always feel as good. Pastors have to find that delicate/difficult balance between reaching people without scaring them off and yet still not watering down the message.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2014 at 6:41pm
As C.S. Lewis once said of the Christian, “Of all men, we hope most of death; yet nothing will reconcile us to…its ‘unnaturalness.’ We know that we were not made for it; we know how it crept into our destiny as an intruder; and we know Who has defeated it.” In the riddle of life and death, the psalmist expounds this certainty of God’s action. “But God will ransom my soul from the power of the grave, for he will receive me.”

Taken from the article "Dark Riddle" by Jill Carattini
http://www.rzim.org/a-slice-of-infinity/dark-riddle/
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2014 at 6:27am
Originally posted by sgreen

Originally posted by Software_Lax20

Would you prefer a serious pastor or a laid back pastor?
I agree with lightning. Personality is not going to be requisite #1 on any list of qualities for elder/bishop, but are those 2 personality traits mutually exclusive?

Not mutually exclusive. Growing up the pastors were fun-ish at the pulpit and more fun in person. The one at the church I go to now is fun but serious at the same time. Laid back but still doesn't allow other leaders to slack or the congregation to fall asleep. It's kind of like how Google or Facebook have their work environments: fun, relaxed, and productive.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 9:08pm

I agree with lightning. Personality is not going to be requisite #1 on any list of qualities for elder/bishop, but are those 2 personality traits mutually exclusive?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by JDiggidy

Growing up, when i used to do the church thing, our pastor guy was super laid back. he made church and the whole thing "fun" and meaningful at the same time. most of his sermons were tidbits of his own life. just a really good guy.

You said you "used to do the church thing..." Why did you stop?
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2014 at 2:50pm
A pastor that preaches the Truth.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 9:57am
Growing up, when i used to do the church thing, our pastor guy was super laid back.  he made church and the whole thing "fun" and meaningful at the same time.  most of his sermons were tidbits of his own life.  just a really good guy.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2014 at 6:57am
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2014 at 2:26pm
"The more you read the Bible, and the more you meditate upon it, the more you will be astonished with it." —Spurgeon
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/11/2014 at 6:28am
"Faith is at the root of all true worship, and 'without faith' it is impossible to please [God]"(Heb. 11:6) —Tozer
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2014 at 3:17pm
Luke 6:40 English Standard Version (ESV)

A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone when he is fully trained will be like his teacher.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/30/2014 at 4:21pm
thanks for the heads up on those ^^
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2014 at 11:34am
I'm an audio-phile and while I know that not all music sounds aesthetically pleasing, I still love finding and listening to Christian artist. Here are some radio stations to stream if people are interested. Share artist and radio stations you've found that you enjoy.

Boost 101.9 - St. Louis
NGEN Radio 89.3 - Houston
NRT Christian Online Radio
k-brew View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2014 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by red_baron

YouVersion app (which you might have downloaded) has reading plans that you can use and go by topic or goals. There are a few on praying that you should try.

I really like youversion

The app I have is called olive tree but I will download youversion
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2014 at 12:10pm

YouVersion app (which you might have downloaded) has reading plans that you can use and go by topic or goals. There are a few on praying that you should try.
I really like youversion
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 7:01am
It is nice to have a plan, and something that keeps you on track. Having someone to be accountable for it is also very helpful. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 6:22am
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2014 at 6:18am
Originally posted by k-brew

I was trying to find a new pray a day besides just the internet. That helps a lot sgreen. I downloaded the bible app and it keeps me reading and picks up where I left off.

Look at Psalms. David did a lot of praising and giving thanks to the Lord in his poema.

I pray on my commute to work. It's great because driving doesn't take much thought and I can see the sky and all that He has created. The day has just started and there is so much to be thankful for and pray about.

Keep in mind that prayers should be personal:
Start with thanking God for all He has done. For sending His son for us.
Then ask Him to forgive you. Confess what you have done wrong and ask Him to help make you into what he longs for you to be.
Then approach Him with your concerns. He already knows what your heart desires, but he finds joy in His children coming to Him for guidance and assistance.
k-brew View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2014 at 6:28pm
I was trying to find a new pray a day besides just the internet. That helps a lot sgreen. I downloaded the bible app and it keeps me reading and picks up where I left off.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by k-brew

Prayers are always answered it is just when and where. That is the true awesomeness of what God can do for each and every one of us. Any suggestions on where to find a whole batch of prayers to thank The Lord?!
Not sure just what you mean by "find"ing prayers, but maybe the book of Psalms is what you're looking for.
k-brew View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote k-brew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/07/2014 at 8:04am
Prayers are always answered it is just when and where. That is the true awesomeness of what God can do for each and every one of us. Any suggestions on where to find a whole batch of prayers to thank The Lord?!
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2014 at 5:24pm

“Worship is the submission of all our nature to God. It is the quickening of conscience by His holiness; the nourishment of mind with His truth; the purifying of imagination by His beauty; the opening of the heart to His love; the surrender of will to His purpose — and all of this gathered up in adoration, the most selfless emotion of which our nature is capable and therefore the chief remedy for that self-centeredness which is our original sin and the source of all actual sin.”

- William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2014 at 7:47am
Originally posted by HAVEN2135

I would say a lot of worship preference comes from your learning style and music taste. The church I attend has multiple preachers and it is interesting to listen to people talk about who they like and don't like. However one connects a lot of the sermon to history, another sports, and the third with stories.l

I agree completely. That's why a lot of church's will have additional group meetings for youth. They learn differently and go through different things at different points in life. And teens are especially hard to hold attention and keep involved.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2014 at 12:15pm
“Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that unless we love the truth, we cannot know it.”   Blaise Pascal
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 11:33am
I would say a lot of worship preference comes from your learning style and music taste. The church I attend has multiple preachers and it is interesting to listen to people talk about who they like and don't like. However one connects a lot of the sermon to history, another sports, and the third with stories.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/28/2014 at 10:04am
Having a favorite worship leader does not mean that you focus on them. It just means that you connect better. They portray a message more clearly or in an understandable way.
If what you're trying to say is that we shouldn't just pay attention to one person then I agree completely. Our minds should always be curious and driven to know more and more, which is accomplished by looking at other sources, looking at other interpretations of the same scripture, listening to what others have to say.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2014 at 9:37am
Originally posted by sgreen

Originally posted by lightning80

^ When we start having preferences of worship leaders and ministers, we become what Paul had warned against in 1 Corinthians.
How? What did Paul mean by "of"?

Depending on different versions of the Bible, some translate the "of" to "belong to" or "follow". Basically, Paul is saying the believers' focus was on the leader, when their focus should be on Christ. If we have to chose worship leaders, then we're focusing on the leader, and not on Christ. And, I don't believe how a worship leaders makes us feel matters. What really matters if they speak the Truth according to the Bible.

Any worship leader that does not tell the congregation that they should be worshiping on Saturday is not speaking the Truth from the Bible because the Bible never said to stop worshiping on the Sabbath and to start worshiping on Sunday. There goes more than 90% of your worship leaders...Confused
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2014 at 11:21pm

^ When we start having preferences of worship leaders and ministers, we become what Paul had warned against in 1 Corinthians.
How? What did Paul mean by "of"?
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2014 at 7:40am
That's why you need to look for the passion in which they speak. Anyone can talk about the Bible or Jesus. You have to look at the intention. If their intention is to share the love of Jesus or to love on others then they have a passion for God and his Great Commission. Those who care about numbers and become hypocritical fall down the other path. Empty intentions.

Get to know your worship leaders. See how they make you feel while they lead.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 4:01pm
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Mt 7:21-23

How many of these worship leaders fall into the above? If we knew, we'll really be enlightened...Confused
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 3:41pm
Dude: first rule of Secret Church: do not talk about Secret Church.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2014 at 2:59pm
If you want to hear more then check out a program he has called Secret Church. Despite the name (referencing how many believers have to meet in secret in order to build) Platt will live stream himself talking about a topic for 6 hours. If you sign up early you can also get a book to follow along with and has blanks to fill in which actually makes it fun. He also has a variety of books and he doesn't get preachy in his books. His approach is more enlightening. If you aren't very fond of him try Francis Chan as well.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 7:59pm
I'm not sure what I think of David Platt just yet. I'd like to hear more of him. My first exposure to him was the video clip I've linked to below. I thought he raised some interesting points.

David Platt

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 11:35am
I attended one of the Secret Church events by David Platt and part of the night was education on what was happening in Turkey.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 8:39pm

Also, please pray for Turkey. There is a lot that God is doing in this country. However, there is a lot of persecution for those who are Christians and especially those trying to minister and spread the love of Christ.

Pray For Turkey
I followed the link and watched the vid. How did Turkey come to your attention?
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 8:28pm
"The best way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." Chief Justice John Roberts
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 6:33am
Also, please pray for Turkey. There is a lot that God is doing in this country. However, there is a lot of persecution for those who are Christians and especially those trying to minister and spread the love of Christ.

Pray For Turkey
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 6:27am
I don't know where you live but if you're in the Midwest there is an organization called Global Encounter. Ever summer they do this tri-city mission trip sort of thing. Every year they start in St. Louis (at my church). Then after a week of missions work, small groups, Bible study, and so forth they travel to Kansas City to do the same thing but there you minister to a different group of people and learn from new speakers. Then the last stop is Denver where most of the time is spent in multicultural housing complex giving love to kids and people who we don't want to feel forgotten. Every year we visit these people because we want to show them the God really does love them and that we WILL come back and not forget them.

If any of you are in the Midwest next summer, look into being a part or get your church to be a part of Global Encounter.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2014 at 9:51pm
“The truth is that if Israel were to put down its arms there would be no more Israel. If the Arabs were to put down their arms there would be no more war.”
— Benjamin Netanyahu, 2006
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2014 at 8:46pm
Yet another interesting article. It is a critique of Richard Dawkins' book The God Delusion. What I found most interesting (from several interesting points) is that it is from Antony Flew, who was one of the most well-known atheist thinkers of the 2 or 3 decades before Dawkins, Hitchens, and co. came along and was a(very) late-comer to Christ (81 yrs).

http://www.bethinking.org/atheism/professor-antony-flew-reviews-the-god-delusion

God bless.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 10:42pm
This might be an article worth reading for some: "The Glamour of Atheism" by Cameron McAllister
http://www.rzim.org/just-thinking/the-glamour-of-atheism/?utm_source=RZIM%20Email%20List&utm_campaign=0941b564a9-Just_Thinking_Magazine_22_12_4_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ebbd391d89-0941b564a9-44499985

Here's an excerpt:
Please don’t misunderstand me. I am not saying that it is impossible for atheists to lead exemplary and even noble lives. Clearly, many do. What I am saying is that, from the standpoint of scientific naturalism, such behavior is an anomaly because naturalism, devoid of any and all metaphysical underpinnings, can provide neither the motivation nor the justification for a truly selfless life. Such values must be borrowed, or smuggled in, so to speak. In a provocative article, the journalist Matthew Parris, himself an avowed atheist, reluctantly concedes that removing Christian evangelism from the continent of Africa would be disastrous. Why? “In Africa Christianity changes people’s hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good.” My point is not that atheists can’t be good people. My point is that it is manifestly impossible for atheism to “change people’s hearts,” to inspire transformation and rebirth on its own steam. Those wishing to find the ethical resources for such an undertaking must look elsewhere.

red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 7:07am
I spent a lot of time with Chan when I was in College.....good good man
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2014 at 6:04am
I've always been a big fan of David Platt and Francis Chan. Their talks/webinars and books are very insightful and inspiring.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 10:58pm

Did anyone know you can invite Aaron Gillespie to lead worship at your church? How is your guys' favorite worship leader/minister? Post links!

I grew up around a lot of different worship styles and leaders. I played in a worship band in high school and at BIOLA/Talbot. By far one of the people that impacted me a lot about my outlook on Worship was Todd Proctor. He was kind of the frontman for a band (timber) that I spent a lot of time w/. It just totally changed my outlook about what it meant to worship. Now he is the senior pastor at Rock Harbor in Costa Mesa Ca. Solid Man
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2014 at 8:28pm
Thought I'd share this link to what I found to be an interesting talk:

http://www.premier.tv/media/t/1_e5fvjh33/14419091
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Software_Lax20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2014 at 6:58am
All worship leaders are different. All ministers are different. You can connect on them in different ways. Some capture your attention in different ways. Some communicate better than others. It's like teachers/professors; some aren't good at instructing.

All I'm looking for is names so I can get different perspectives on teachings from the Bible. Or some worship leaders/groups compose the music in different manners.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 3:49pm
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 7:23pm

Did anyone know you can invite Aaron Gillespie to lead worship at your church? How is your guys' favorite worship leader/minister? Post links!
For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?
1 Cor 3:4
Out of curiosity (I'm not trying to start anything), can you explain the quoted verse's relevance to Software's statement, in the context of the passage you quoted from? Are you saying he's being carnal in the same sense that Paul was speaking of? God bless.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 3:15pm

For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?
1 Cor 3:4
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 43>