Jesus Christ

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <12345 42>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lib4Life View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lib4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus Christ
    Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 8:23pm
Dude... seriously? This thread didn't have anyone post on it for 6 days, until you did, because NO ONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION.

That's cool that you have faith. It's cool that you love Jesus. No one can ever take that from you. Don't let anyone ever take that from you. We're all simply human. Many of us have different belief systems. Not one is better than the other. Nor right nor wrong. Just different. It doesn't matter if someone is Atheist, Islamic, Christian, Buddhist, Shinto, Jewish (which, by the way, Jesus Christ was) or any other religion. Religion and faith are beautiful things, but the last thing anyone needs on this planet is another person pushing their belief system on you. 

If not for me, then please do it for the other people who feel the same way as me and stop reviving this thread. 

/end?

2010 Lib Tech TRS | Union Force
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 9:13pm
this is a pretty interesting topic.. well at least the way it panned out.  so there are a couple interesting phenomena that occur in the natural world that are UNEXPLAINABLE by science. of these are the constants that we have come to figure out. gravity at sea level = -9.8 m/s^2, speed of light = 3E8 m/s, etc etc.  we have come to find out the numerical value of these constants through experiments yes.. such as "lets drop this rock and see how long it takes to get to the bottom". all we can conclude is that they do exist and they work within  our physical realm.  something interesting is that these constants (i think there are 8 or 9; i'm not a HUGE physics buff, sorry) work in PERFECT harmony with each other. if any of these constant values changed in the slightest, our physical world would literally deteriorate. 

another interesting thing about nature is its keenness to stay pretty symmetric.  i'm sure everyone knows about electrons, protons, and neutrons.  less people have heard of quarks. even less know their significance.  there are 3 "sets" of quarks.  in each set theres a quark for matter, and there's its antimatter counterpart.  quarks make up everything.  there's a slight problem with what i stated though. they don't come in absolute pairs.  i think for every million anti quarks, there are a million one quarks.  this slight imbalance has allowed our physical world to also stay intact. 

lastly i bring up our morality.  science can explain MANY things, but it can't explain everything. this is probably the most cliche response in defense of religion, so i won't delve too deep into it. i know that religion has fallen into the trap of gap theories and goes crazy when those gaps get filled (evolution -cough-), but i have a little theory that science and religion can work in conjunction with each other, so this doesn't bother me personally. sorry i got off topic.  moral law. science has yet to explain the brain, and quite frankly i have a hard time believing we ever will since each brain is vastly different. but science has yet to explain why we have the urge to help other people when they are hurt.  it's very different from the rest of our animal counterparts where it really is survival of the fittest.  the knowledge of "self" is very interesting too. but i don't think it's a core religious debate, although you could tie it in there somehow.

i guess what i'm saying is that yes.. it is possible that through eons of time, this universe could have been created. but remember that these physical constants had to be EXACTLY what they are now, and the quark/antiquark ratio had to be EXACTLY what they are now.  well.. not necessarily, but it would be a VERY different reality, and i don't think a scientist has been able to fabricate a theoretical reality that is based on different constants, cause its just not possible for us right now).  these very core scientific discoveries actually leads me to believe there is a higher being. i don't want to crunch numbers and find the statistics. but we can all assume that a big bang and its implosion counterpart would not happen very often.   even if they did happen, to have a being that can understand morality boggles my mind.  chance just seems too slim for me.  it seems about as slim as my pressing my hand on the table and having it seep through the table becuase all the molecules HAPPENED to move away at that instant (Heisenburg's uncertainty principle anyone? lol) . i will never be able to PROVE to anyone that God exists, but no one can disprove His existence either.   for me it just seems more probable that a higher being does exist than all these heisenburg uncertainties working in unison.  

i'll be first to admit i had a hard time keeping my faith these past couple years of college, but i think i was looking at religion in the wrong way. i feel at peace when i'm praying, and if i feel good, i don't see why that right should be taken away from me.  my tranquility is not harming anyone.  my friend is athiest. his parents are both catholics. he asked his parents why they believe in God.  they simply replied "it makes us happy". he admitted that he had no right to argue them against God when he himself had no CONCLUSIVE evidence against Him.  

i also think there are a lot of douches that advocate God.  i personally don't go to church all that much because these guys are some of the biggest hypocrites out there.  of course not all christians are like this, but i honestly can't blame people when they say christianity is bad.  i think christians should fix themselves before trying to help others.  there's no point in trying to spread a religion that is ridiculously tainted. 
snowboardslider View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 7:24pm
Dude... seriously? 1: "This thread didn't have anyone post on it for 6 days, until you did, because NO ONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION."

That's cool that you have faith. It's cool that you love Jesus. No one can ever take that from you. Don't let anyone ever take that from you. We're all simply human. Many of us have different belief systems. 2: "Not one is better than the other. Nor right nor wrong. Just different. It doesn't matter if someone is Atheist, Islamic, Christian, Buddhist, Shinto, Jewish (which, by the way, Jesus Christ was) or any other religion." Religion and faith are beautiful things, but 3: "the last thing anyone needs on this planet is another person pushing their belief system on you."

4: "If not for me, then please do it for the other people who feel the same way as me and stop reviving this thread.             /end?"

1.i made this thread, so i can continue it if i want to by asking a question to all who may stumble apon it. i am adding to it with helpful, relating things. so it doesn't matter when i choose to add to it. i can talk about God if i want to, we still have freedom of speach. i don't like the term religion. it sounds like a dry bunch of rules you must follow to get to heaven, and that's not what christianity is about, it's about loving God and others, and accepting God. yes jesus was jewish, but there are 2 kinds of jews, theirs the religion and the heritage. God/Jesus made a way for all people, jew and gentile to enter heaven. the jewish religion, is still waiting for "the messiah". they think Jesus was a good guy and a prophet. the people who don't want to talk about the things other christians do, may feel free not to.

2: that isn't true, Jesus said "I AM the way, the truth, and the life, no man comes to the father but by me." if you don't believe that Jesus is the way, i'm sorry, but you will go to hell.

3: i totally agree, it's wrong to try to share God/jesus by force. that won't show people God's love for them(or that you really care for them). that'll just push them away. but the Bible says we need to share God's message of salvation with people.

4: "If not for me, then please do it for the other people who feel the same way as me and stop reviving this thread.             /end?"

4: dude, it's in the u.s. constitution, i have the freedom of speech and press. and i use that to bring glory to god. not to offend other people. no, this isn't the end. i will politely share God's love with people, and let them think about it. i don't want to see people go to hell. the christians who know what hell is like view it like this. if there is this swimming pool, some people think it would be funny to take half of the water out and replace it with. . .clear acid. they watch in glee as they test their pool by throwing in a surf board, witch (melts?) imediately. you are the only person who knows about it. wouldn't you want to tell people like crazy and try to stop them from going for a "dip of death"? i sure would. people would look at you and think " this guys is wacked, i can clearly see that there isn't acid in this pol" and jump in. people just don't understand the things that go on in hell. the torment, physical(huge beasts with strength way beyond ours, witch is nonexistent. we don't have the strength to stand.), mental(complete hopelessness, anguish, fear), and spiritual (complete knowledge that God will forrever be sepperated from you). read the comment by myungsup, and try to make sense of it. . .i almost think i did, :) it's complicated. . .
snowboardslider View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 7:28pm
to: myungsup. dude, looks good, but i'm too tired to try and think about all that you are saying, but i'm glad u are a christian, and i understand most of what you are saying. it's cool that you aren't just accepting everything thrown at you in college. i'm not in college yet, but i'm 19, so i soon will be. :) appreciate the last comment. peace out till tommorrow. . .
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 7:40pm
Yo, Lib4life, if you don't like this thread don't read it. He isn't pushing his religion on you, you are pushing your no religion policy on him.

I just started an interesting book 'I Don't Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist'. Pretty neat. 

Walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
Bring it hard or don't bring it at all.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 7:58pm
Can't we all just get along?
BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by sgreen

Originally posted by BudAshes

What about the rest of the bible where murder, rape, incest etc is just all part of the norm?  For example

And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive? Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD. Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves

or maybe

Therefore I will shake the heavens, and the earth shall remove out of her place, in the wrath of the LORD of hosts, and in the day of his fierce anger. And it shall be as the chased roe, and as a sheep that no man taketh up: they shall every man turn to his own people, and flee every one into his own land. Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished. Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it. Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children. And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah

or how bout this

Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household. He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

So how exactly can we trust people who believe this stuff?  Beats me.
As I said before, by understanding it. Will you explain to me what you think these verses mean? Give the other readers some context. Why were these things said? You've chosen to quote three passages out of hundreds to make what point? That "murder, rape, incest etc" (What acts does "etc" represent?) is somehow part of the Christian heritage? Even the law of Moses condemns "murder, rape, incest". 

I just thought you wanted some proof.  The context is unimportant as god is infallible so everything he said must be true from the bibles point of view.

The real reason I lost my faith at about 10 years old was I realized that there could be no free will if god existed.  God would exist outside of time therefore future and past would be no barrier for him.  At the moment he created man he would have known every single thing every single man would ever do.  Why would he even bother then.  It'd be like watching "I Know What You Did Last Summer" hoping Jennifer Love Hewitt shows her boobs and then being pissed that she doesn't despite the fact that you've already seen the movie.
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 10:56am
^^^^ the free will part. i believe in god, but he didn't preordain me to believe in him. i choose to do as i please. i think that's why he can be called a loving god.  this being, who is beyond space and time, admits there is sin, says he WANTS us to be his children, but he doesn't  MAKE us be his children. 
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:05am

BudAshes View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote BudAshes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:18am
Originally posted by myungsup

^^^^ the free will part. i believe in god, but he didn't preordain me to believe in him. i choose to do as i please. i think that's why he can be called a loving god.  this being, who is beyond space and time, admits there is sin, says he WANTS us to be his children, but he doesn't  MAKE us be his children. 

That's like your dad saying I want you to be my child but I'm not making you be my child.  Either way you're his kid and you're his responsibility, whether you like him or not.  Imagine if your father just gave you some book and said here, read this because I don't feel like raising you.  I just want to watch from over here while you grow up, and maybe if you beg(pray) really hard I'll throw you a bone every once in a while and help you out.  It's preposterous in so many ways.  If there is a god he has nothing to do with the bible, I would much sooner believe some sort of devil is behind the bible than any benevolent being.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2010 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by BudAshes

That's like your dad saying I want you to be my child but I'm not making you be my child.  Either way you're his kid and you're his responsibility, whether you like him or not.  Imagine if your father just gave you some book and said here, read this because I don't feel like raising you.  I just want to watch from over here while you grow up, and maybe if you beg(pray) really hard I'll throw you a bone every once in a while and help you out.  It's preposterous in so many ways.  If there is a god he has nothing to do with the bible, I would much sooner believe some sort of devil is behind the bible than any benevolent being.

I'd agree with you, if your irreverent description of God's relationship to mankind were in any way accurate, but it's not even close. As I see it, you, like so many others, are calling something ridiculous and impossible ("preposterous", as you said) simply because you can't make sense of it. You don't understand it, so, unfortunately, you dismiss it and those who do believe it.
   God's ways are beyond human logic and understanding. Understanding of him comes by revelation, and revelation comes by faith in him and his Word. It has to be personally experienced, so you have to experience it for yourself. And you can, if ...
   In your response to my last post, you said that the context of the passages you had previously quoted in your condemnation of Christianity was irrelevant. How can you say that? Context is always important, vital, to truly understanding something said, whether it's God's words or anyone else's.
   Your first quote to me refers to God's judgment on a people whose idolatry had reached a level that he refused to ignore any longer. They had rejected the "outstretched hand" of God's mercy one time too many. Why God chose to save the young virgins and not the children, I don't know. I just know that he did. (They weren't to be made sex-slaves) I guarantee you, that if you needed to know and you sincerely sought him for the answer, he'd tell you. There are a lot of things about God I don't know. There are a lot of things I do know. One thing I do know is that God will reveal to me the things I do need to know, if I diligently seek after that knowledge. God, at the very minimum, always tells his people what they need to know. I don't worry over the things I don't understand. That's where faith in his Word comes in. What I do understand will get me through the things I don't understand.
   I believe that your second quote is God's proclamation of judgment against Babylon. As I've said before (on another thread), God's wrath against sin, especially willful sin, is great and terrible. God makes no secret of that. However, he also makes it clear that his mercy and forgiveness to the repentant is far, far greater.
   As to your third quote, that "sword" that Jesus spoke of was not a call to, or justification of, violence.  It was not even a call to aggression. It was metaphoric and literally prophetic. Literal, in that the church would, and has been, throughout it's history be literally subjected to 'the edge of the sword', just as he was. When the Lord said that "a man's foes shall be they of his own household", the "man" he was referring to was his people, who, like himself, would be rejected and betrayed to those who reject and hate the Father. (Rejection and hatred being the metaphoric sword) In some cases, it would even be family that betrayed them.
   One of the important things Jesus taught was the "counting of the cost" of being a Christian, of being his disciple. He didn't hide anything from us. He wants those who choose to follow him to know exactly what it will "cost" them and enter into this relationship fully informed. Still, it is by faith.
   It's late and I'm tired, so I pray I'm making sense, but I hope this helps.
   (I am still interested in hearing what your thoughts are on the passages you quoted.)
deuceman08 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote deuceman08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 4:29am
Hundreds of millions of people have been killed throughout the history of the world, simply because of their religious affiliations. And we continue these arguments and discussions today, why?

Let's just snowboard, bros?
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Lib4Life

Dude... seriously? This thread didn't have anyone post on it for 6 days, until you did, because NO ONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION.

That's cool that you have faith. It's cool that you love Jesus. No one can ever take that from you. Don't let anyone ever take that from you. We're all simply human. Many of us have different belief systems. Not one is better than the other. Nor right nor wrong. Just different. It doesn't matter if someone is Atheist, Islamic, Christian, Buddhist, Shinto, Jewish (which, by the way, Jesus Christ was) or any other religion. Religion and faith are beautiful things, but the last thing anyone needs on this planet is another person pushing their belief system on you. 

If not for me, then please do it for the other people who feel the same way as me and stop reviving this thread. 

/end?
Why did you bother responding to this thread? You, and everyone else who comes here, came here by choice. If "NO ONE WANTS TO TALK ABOUT RELIGION", then this thread will eventually die due to malnutrition, as do most of the threads on this site. Personally, I hope it turns out to be something constructive. Hopefully, there won't be any "pushing" on this thread.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by deuceman08

Hundreds of millions of people have been killed throughout the history of the world, simply because of their religious affiliations. And we continue these arguments and discussions today, why?

Because the issue is so important to so many. So important that, as you said yourself, some would be willing to give their lives in defense of their faith, and some would be willing, as we have tragically seen in this country and around the world, to take lives to impose their faith.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 11:34pm
  I'd like to expand on some of my statements in my response to BudAshes.

God's ways are beyond human logic and understanding. Understanding of him comes by revelation, and revelation comes by faith in him and his Word. It has to be personally experienced, so you have to experience it for yourself. And you can, if ...
   Christianity is often mocked because so much of it flies in the face of human logic, never mind the poor presentations and the failures, liars, and hypocrites. Then let it be illogical. What matters most is whether or not it is true. If it is true, then what is logic, human logic? For many, it has become a prison. There are a lot of people who would argue that because God cannot be understood by human reason or logic or "critical thinking", and because faith is demanded, that it's all a hoax. Those who have experienced the power and grace of God, and been changed by the new life in Christ, know that this is not so.

I guarantee you, that if you needed to know and you sincerely sought him for the answer, he'd tell you. There are a lot of things about God I don't know. There are a lot of things I do know. One thing I do know is that God will reveal to me the things I do need to know, if I diligently seek after that knowledge. God, at the very minimum, always tells his people what they need to know. I don't worry over the things I don't understand. That's where faith in his Word comes in. What I do understand will get me through the things I don't understand.
   I would like to add here that I know God is kind and just and righteous and that his Word is true. I don't just believe this, I know this. Not in any scientific sense, I guess, but I know it just the same. I know that God is real. I have experienced his power and grace over and over and will continue to do so. I know that I am now born again by faith in God's Son, Jesus Christ and I know that all his promises are true. These are not things I've convinced myself to believe, they are things that I now know are true. Not just in my head, but in my heart. Again, there's a lot I don't know or understand, but that's okay, I don't feel any pressure to know and understand everything. I'd like to, but I know that if I continue with Christ, one day I will know and understand everything. In the meantime, I'll continue to grow in my understanding and knowledge of the truth. This is so much more than God simply "throwing me a bone".
   I cannot answer every question that comes my way or turn back every accusation people level against God. Nor can I say that my faith or my knowledge of God cannot be shaken or tested, because has been before. But, it has survived every challenge so far and, based on my past experience, I am confident that it will continue to not only survive, but become stronger.

I believe that your second quote is God's proclamation of judgment against Babylon. As I've said before (on another thread), God's wrath against sin, especially willful sin, is great and terrible. God makes no secret of that. However, he also makes it clear that his mercy and forgiveness to the repentant is far, far greater.
   God is also very much long-suffering in his dealing with mankind. (Noah warned of the coming judgment for over 100 years) He's not just polar-opposites of blessing and judgment. Those who point to the OT as a referendum on the cruelty of God, ignoring the many OT testimonies of his mercy, are themselves the recipients, or benefactors, of this long-suffering and patience, as they have not yet experienced God's wrath, despite their mockery and rejection. The Bible also tells us that, here on Earth, his mercy can be found in the midst of judgment and that he will not overlook the sin of his beloved children.
   To BudAshes, I hope you will one day decide to search for the answers to the questions that plagued you as a 10-year-old and not continue to reject God entirely because you are unable to answer them on your own.
zhenjie View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote zhenjie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 11:43pm
Just curious as to why people believe the God of Abrahamic religions is more valid then Shiva, Buddha, Xenu, Serpent God, Sun god Ra,etc?
athousandmonkeys View Drop Down
Local
Local

Online Status: Online
  Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 12:26am
Originally posted by zhenjie

Just curious as to why people believe the God of Abrahamic religions is more valid then Shiva, Buddha, Xenu, Serpent God, Sun god Ra,etc?

Because to be a god-botherer is to be a seriously gullible/deluded/brainwashed whack-job. As such, all god-botherers genuinely believe only their imaginary friend is the one true god. Nutbags - the lot of 'em.
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote surgyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 12:27am
Originally posted by deuceman08

the simplest statement is always the best one. Clap  save me jebus!

ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 6:32am
Come to me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 7:17am
I am mormon so my religious beliefs are probably a lot different than most of yours. I believe the only way to be saved is through Jesus and the only way to go to hell is to know that Jesus is the Christ and reject him. I think all religions have truth and that anyone trying to bring people closer to god is a good person.

I don't understand why people try to rid themselves of god so much. It seems to me like if you know god doesn't exist then you have your peace and there is no reason to try and make other people believe the same. Does getting people to not believe in god make you feel more justified in your cause or what? I don't understand.

Anyone here listen to air 1?
snowydays14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
A photo I took on the fourth of July

Quote snowydays14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 7:40am
Originally posted by robsta

Anyone here listen to air 1?

I do. It's a good station.
Give me snow!!!!
ty View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Jesus Freak!

Quote ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 9:51am

I think all religions have truth and that anyone trying to bring people closer to god is a good person.

I would disagree. It is possible that all religions are not true, but it is impossible that all religions are true because they teach contradictory things. 

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Don Otto Chair - Nevados de Chillan, Chile

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 10:04am
Originally posted by snowboardslidur

4: dude, it's in the u.s. constitution, i have the freedom of speech and press. and i use that to bring glory to god. not to offend other people. no, this isn't the end. i will politely share God's love with people, and let them think about it. . .

this is a private forum and you don't have freedom of shit.  check the ToS.  I hope you get banned.

Hail Satan. 
-zakk

zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 10:05am
Originally posted by ty

I think all religions have truth and that anyone trying to bring people closer to god is a good person.

I would disagree. It is possible that all religions are not true, but it is impossible that all religions are true because they teach contradictory things. 

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." John 14:6

all you're doing is betting on a horse.  I'm hoping you're betting on the wrong one, you're hoping you're betting on the right one.

Nothing more, nothing less.
-zakk

Toobs View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
YaY! Snow!

Quote Toobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 10:08am
Yay Jesus, go Catholics!
wpiass View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote wpiass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 10:16am
oh, i didn't know this was religious...i just thought it was a PM to me
be talkin to ya
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote snowydays14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by zakk

Originally posted by snowboardslidur

4: dude, it's in the u.s. constitution, i have the freedom of speech and press. and i use that to bring glory to god. not to offend other people. no, this isn't the end. i will politely share God's love with people, and let them think about it. . .

this is a private forum and you don't have freedom of shit.  check the ToS.  I hope you get banned.

Hail Satan. 

Dude, I think you need to cool your jets just a bit. This isn't exactly a private forum; pretty much anyone can view and post here. It is a fact of life that there will always be people who oppose you in what you believe. That's the way of the world man. And the sooner we all realize that, I think there will be a lot less conflict. Course, no one is perfect.
Give me snow!!!!
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ty

The bible itself is contradictory.... which is fascinating for those who believe it is the direct word of god. The old testament is wrought with contradictions, particularly from the new, and beyond that there are a ridiculous number of "laws" that are conveniently ignored by even the most fundamentalist Christian (wearing 2 types of linens/cloth? shaving? eating pork? or shellfish?). But even the new testament has conflicting stories between the different apostles, even in the most direct translations. It's hard to say you can't accept the contradictions of another religion when you accept the contradictions in your own.  
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by snowydays14

Dude, I think you need to cool your jets just a bit. This isn't exactly a private forum; pretty much anyone can view and post here. It is a fact of life that there will always be people who oppose you in what you believe. That's the way of the world man. And the sooner we all realize that, I think there will be a lot less conflict. Course, no one is perfect.

I don't care what you think, this isn't the same as the Freedom of the Press and of Speech.  and this isn't a public forum. 
-zakk

Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote snowydays14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 5:06pm

I don't care what you think, this isn't the same as the Freedom of the Press and of Speech.  and this isn't a public forum. 

How is it not a public forum?
Give me snow!!!!
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 5:22pm
Gullible, irrational imbeciles have every right to express their deluded belief in imaginary friends - just as intelligent, rational people have the right to express their bemusement that some people can be so easily brainwashed. 
TGOD View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote TGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 5:23pm
I personaly love The Baby Jesus and i go t church every sunday. and i feel ike when i ride im with him
balles25 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote balles25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 5:55pm

Baha.  Glad this little jem popped up.  Congratulations on believing on god.  You did it!!!.  I really hope it works out, but seriously, who cares.

We'll see if he shows up in 2012 quiefs. 
Nachitox View Drop Down
Local
Local
Nachitox

Quote Nachitox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by forrestconley@yahoo

I personaly love The Baby Jesus and i go t church every sunday. and i feel ike when i ride im with him
This post was serious ? It sounds like a joke...

Personally I think that maybe there's something that is bigger than all of us.
But I dont believe in the Church and the Catholic religion. 
Argentinian rider!
wdi View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote wdi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 6:10pm
As long as people aren't hurting other people, I think people should be entitled to their opinions and beliefs, whether they agree with mine or not.  We all try to do the best we can here right now in this life and believe what we believe for whatever reason, and will one day come face to face with the 'truth' (whatever it may be), so I really don't see the point in arguing about religion.
zakk View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 7:13pm

How is it not a public forum?

this is how:

When you register you are required to give a small amount of information, much of which is optional, anything you do give must be considered as becoming public information.

You agree not to use this forum to post any material which is vulgar, defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws. You also agree that you will not post any copyrighted material that is not owned by yourself or the owners of these forums.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum and their agents with respect to any claim based upon any post you may make. We also reserve the right to reveal whatever information we know about you in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by yourself.

Although messages posted are not the responsibility of this forum and we are not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. If you do find any posts are objectionable then please contact the forum by e-mail.

The Federal Trade Commission's Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA) requires that Web Sites are to obtain parental consent before collecting, using, or disclosing personal information from children under 13. If you are below 13 then you can NOT use this forum. Do NOT register if you are below the age of 13.

By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

In consideration of your use of this Site, you agree to post only your Content that you are the original creator of, the owner of, or the intellectual property agent for. Such ownership must not be in a third party dispute. Additionally, you agree not to post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships. Further, you agree not to post, email or otherwise transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party.

All Content posted to this Site, and any intellectual property embodied within or generated thereby, shall become the sole and exclusive property of the Site owner. Additionally, by submitting your Content to this Site you are granting the Site owner an exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, unrestricted, royalty-free right to publish, publicly display, and/or use the information you provide to our Site, including intellectual property.

MICHAEL ANTHONY MANAGEMENT, INC., a California corporation (“the Site owner”) operates and maintains the website, “sierrasnowboard.com” (the “Site”) and provides users with the ability to post their ideas, suggestions, opinions, artwork, designs, intellectual property, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages or other materials and communications on this Site (“Content”).

You agree to indemnify and hold the Site owner, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, agents, third party contractors and employees, harmless from all damages, costs, liabilities, and any claim or demand, including reasonable attorney's fees, due to or arising out of your violation of this Agreement; your violation of any rights of another person or entity; Content you submit, post to, access, or transmit through the Site; your use of the Site; your connection to the Site; or due to or arising from such activities carried out by a person using your sierrasnowboard.com account or password, with or without your knowledge.  The sierrasnowboard.com domain name and the related copyrights, logos, trademarks, and service marks are the sole and exclusive intellectual property of the Site owner (the “IP”), whether or not registered. Accordingly, you agree not to display, copy, or use the IP in any manner without the Site owner’s prior written permission.

Cheers,
Sierra Staff

This is called a Term of Service, and by very definition is contrary to the protections provided under the US Constitution.  At some point, if Mike doesn't like what anyone says it's all over.

This, again by definition, cannot occur under the US Constitution except in cases of violation of Trade, Service, or Registered Marks, and in cases of libel and slander.  Looking up case law, like National Socialist Party v. Skogie, Ill. (1977) would have shown the difference. 

I feel like the only person in this conversation that has graduated high school, if they even still require Civics in this crappy educational system we have (left).  
-zakk

sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 9:38pm

This is called a Term of Service, and by very definition is contrary to the protections provided under the US Constitution.  At some point, if Mike doesn't like what anyone says it's all over.

I feel like the only person in this conversation that has graduated high school, if they even still require Civics in this crappy educational system we have (left).  
Maybe you are, but unless I missed something, nothing in the terms of service you quoted strictly forbids the expressions in this forum, including yours. I guess you're right about the legality of whether or not this is 'public', but it's pretty obvious that the legal correctness of snowboardslidur's and snowydays14's comments isn't your real issue with this thread. So, why are you bothering to harass those who view or contribute to this thread according to its stated purpose? You don't seem to have any problems expressing your own opinions on here, so why bother anyone else for doing the same?
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by athousandmonkeys

Gullible, irrational imbeciles have every right to express their deluded belief in imaginary friends - just as intelligent, rational people have the right to express their bemusement that some people can be so easily brainwashed. 
So, which end of the spectrum do you fit into: the gullible, irrational imbeciles or the intelligent, rational people?
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 9:48pm

So, which end of the spectrum do you fit into: the gullible, irrational imbeciles or the intelligent, rational people?
Well, as I neither believe in imaginary friends (gods) nor talk to them (pray), in this regard that would make me intelligent and rational.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 10:20pm

Well, as I neither believe in imaginary friends (gods) nor talk to them (pray), in this regard that would make me intelligent and rational.
Bemusement(noun)- confusion resulting from failure to understand.
Where does your 'bemusement' come from? Arrogance? Pity? Just curious.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2010 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by zhenjie

Hmmm. I guess you'd have to read their sacred texts to find out. I'm only familiar with Christianity and Judaism because they both share the some of the same texts: the Torah and the Bible's first five books are pretty much, if not exactly, the same. The OT and Torah say, "Put no other gods before me." Their doctrines are exclusive. I don't know what the Quran says on the subject.
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 6:19am

Hehe, selective quoting to serve your purpose - how very religious of you.

Where does your 'bemusement' come from? Arrogance? Pity? Just curious. 
Pity, condescension, disgust - it's a mixed bag.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 11:06am

How were you being misrepresented? Honestly, were you even expressing bemusement? It sounded like you were being insulting.
MadAnthony81 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
when i had hair, pass pic

Quote MadAnthony81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 11:41am

geez, so many haters... could have just let this thread go on.  It can purtain to snowboarding.  For instance the "freestyle king" Jim Rippey is a christian.  Along with Dave Downing, and a couple others possibly that i know of.  It's cool, it's a way of life, last time I checked Chrisitains have done a lot of good and made a huge impact in creating this country for what it is today with it's liberties and freedoms.  Hail Jesus!  The biggest lover ever known!  B.C. A.D.  thank you very much.

whatchoo bringin to the table for God? Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends-Jesus
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 12:31pm
Again It's funny to me that so many people try to get rid of god in society. I just read a poll that said 93% of Americans and 96% of the world believe in god. How can you say that 9 out of 10 people in the world are irrational, delusional people? The cyncism that comes from atheists is always way over the top. Simply saying you don't believe in god is enough.
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 12:42pm

How were you being misrepresented? Honestly, were you even expressing bemusement? It sounded like you were being insulting.
I don't think it purely coincidental that out of the meanings for the word "bemusement", you chose one implying a "failure" on my part "to understand". 
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by robst... 93% of Americans and 96% of the world believe in god. How can you say that 9 out of 10 people in the world are irrational, delusional people? ... [/QUOTE

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that 93% of Americans are to some extent, irrational and delusional.

And reall

I don't think it's a stretch at all to say that 93% of Americans are to some extent, irrational and delusional.

And really - "96% of the world believe in god"? HUH??? You know that MANY MORE people in the world DO NOT "believe" in YOUR god than do, right? So WHAT makes you right, and them wrong???
robsta View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote robsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 12:52pm
monkeys if you had read one of my previous posts i said i think that anyone trying to bring people closer to god are good people. I think all religions have truth.
Local
Local

Quote athousandmonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 1:06pm

I think all religions have truth.

THAT'S irrational and delusional. They simply can't ALL be right? So what do we go with? The majority?
MadAnthony81 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
when i had hair, pass pic

Quote MadAnthony81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2010 at 1:10pm
i just wanna include some more snowboarders I was able to pull up through a quick search.  In a Truckee article i found that riders such as Andy Finch, Kelly CLark, Tommy Czeschin, Matt Hamer, Janna Meyer and the article said there was more, are all riders for Christ.  Thought i'd mention it, cuz it purtains.  Live on my friends...
whatchoo bringin to the table for God? Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends-Jesus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 42>