Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1 3334353637 43>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Squaw Valley USA 02/05/2012

Online Status: Offline
  Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jesus Christ
    Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 7:33am
Originally posted by batmanwest

I can't blame her. Just watched the trailer, and read the "about"...holy hell that sounds like a really lame use of time.

Which part is really lame?  Actually watching the video or the 40-day experiment?
batmanwest View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote batmanwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/13/2012 at 10:05am
Originally posted by robnezz23

I can't blame her. Just watched the trailer, and read the "about"...holy hell that sounds like a really lame use of time.

Which part is really lame?  Actually watching the video or the 40-day experiment?

That movie. It looks painfully lame. Don't know anything about the "40 day experiment"..I guess I would need to watch the movie to find out what the 40DE is all about.? Ermm

Some times people just shouldn't be married to each other. Some people just don't work well with each other and in my eyes, it would be better for them to split than try to force something that doesn't feel right.

Sure, marriage is work, you do have to put effort into it at times. But I have found that if the marriage is to the point where someone wants a divorce, it's usually better for both people to just end it, than spend the rest of their life with someone they don't truly love. There are just too many unhappy marriages out there..I just don't get it. Also, not trying to bash anyone, but I find the more religious the couple is, the more likely they are to hold on to a crumbling marriage and not be happy.
snowboardslider View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2012 at 11:00am

That movie. It looks painfully lame. Don't know anything about the "40 day experiment"..I guess I would need to watch the movie to find out what the 40DE is all about.? Ermm

Some times people just shouldn't be married to each other. Some people just don't work well with each other and in my eyes, it would be better for them to split than try to force something that doesn't feel right.

Sure, marriage is work, you do have to put effort into it at times. But I have found that if the marriage is to the point where someone wants a divorce, it's usually better for both people to just end it, than spend the rest of their life with someone they don't truly love. There are just too many unhappy marriages out there..I just don't get it. Also, not trying to bash anyone, but I find the more religious the couple is, the more likely they are to hold on to a crumbling marriage and not be happy.
the more religious...religion doesn't hold marriages together, the love of God does. i know you might think it's all the same. but then you'd have to say that christianity is the same religion as the terrorists who performed 911...anyway, there's a survey out that analized marriages verses people who just live together. married people had better sex(oops, did i say that out loud, lol). AND Christian married people were above them. so, get married, and become a Christian, follow Jesus, and He will give you the desires of your heart.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2012 at 7:36am

Thanks for responding BMW.  The movie is, I would say, almost entirely about that 40DE.  And the point of the 40DE to me is to highlight a critical point:  That emotion (read: love) flows from devotion.  If you are truly devoted to your spouse through thick and thin, for better or worse, then from that will come feelings of love.

Because love, or being in love, is often not what holds marriages together.  Love is a feeling, and you may not always feel in love.  I don't, and I don't think anyone feels in love all the time.  The fact is you are married to another human being who is just as flawed as you are.  But just because the feeling of love has gone, does that make it OK to divorce?  According to the most recited wedding vows, you are supposed to remain together for better or worse, in sickness and in health.  There is no clause in there that says, "As soon as I don't feel love anymore, I'm out."  For many marriages to last, there has to be something more steady anc constant than just a feeling (remember: feelings are fleeting), and that would be the devotion and forever-commitment that all wedding ceremonies speak of as an ideal, and this movie hopes to point out.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2012 at 7:13am

Thanks for responding BMW.  The movie is, I would say, almost entirely about that 40DE.  And the point of the 40DE to me is to highlight a critical point:  That emotion (read: love) flows from devotion.  If you are truly devoted to your spouse through thick and thin, for better or worse, then from that will come feelings of love.

Because love, or being in love, is often not what holds marriages together.  Love is a feeling, and you may not always feel in love.  I don't, and I don't think anyone feels in love all the time.  The fact is you are married to another human being who is just as flawed as you are.  But just because the feeling of love has gone, does that make it OK to divorce?  According to the most recited wedding vows, you are supposed to remain together for better or worse, in sickness and in health.  There is no clause in there that says, "As soon as I don't feel love anymore, I'm out."  For many marriages to last, there has to be something more steady anc constant than just a feeling (remember: feelings are fleeting), and that would be the devotion and forever-commitment that all wedding ceremonies speak of as an ideal, and this movie hopes to point out.
you are so right. it's unfortunate that people take love out of context. love is emotional, but it is also almost similar to a duty. call it the call of duty. lol. Biblical love is what's lacking in marriages. in 1 Corinthians 13, it's evident what love needs to be:
"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails."
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2012 at 7:16pm
just wanted to share what God is doing in my life. i had been out of work, without a phone, college tuition coming up, and in need of a car. well, after praying, God brought someone into my life who i could work for and buy a pick up truck from in one week. this job will also pay for the phone and the college tuition...GOD IS GOOD!(even when we don't see how)
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2012 at 6:38pm
Anybody hear much about Kirk Cameron's documentary Monumental: In Search of America's National Treasure? Here's a link to one article I've read:
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=1563402

It's purpose is to try to go back to the beginning of our nation, starting with the Pilgrims, and see what it was that led to America's becoming, as Cameron put it, "...the freest, most prosperous and blessed nation in human history". Another statement that caught my eye was this one from the end of the article: "Change does not start at the Oval Office; it begins at the dinner table teaching your children."

@slidur
Glad to hear about the encouragement you've received recently. Thanks for sharing.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by sgreen

Anybody hear much about Kirk Cameron's documentary Monumental: In Search of America's National Treasure? Here's a link to one article I've read:
http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/Default.aspx?id=1563402

It's purpose is to try to go back to the beginning of our nation, starting with the Pilgrims, and see what it was that led to America's becoming, as Cameron put it, "...the freest, most prosperous and blessed nation in human history". Another statement that caught my eye was this one from the end of the article: "Change does not start at the Oval Office; it begins at the dinner table teaching your children."

@slidur
Glad to hear about the encouragement you've received recently. Thanks for sharing.
i believe that second quote was from a president...but don't quote me on that, lol. thanks for the thanks.
TTowncrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Keystone 2012

Quote TTowncrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2012 at 7:54pm
For all of you other christians out tbere looking for a good movie I recommend Beware Of Christians. Its a documentary about 4 college christian guys that travel around the world to visit new places and discover God outside of "religion". Its about finding who you are in christ and forgetting about how the church defines christianity. It can be a little slow at times but is loaded with good information and is pretty funny at times. Check it out!
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2012 at 7:34am
Originally posted by TTowncrazy

For all of you other christians out tbere looking for a good movie I recommend Beware Of Christians. Its a documentary about 4 college christian guys that travel around the world to visit new places and discover God outside of "religion". Its about finding who you are in christ and forgetting about how the church defines christianity. It can be a little slow at times but is loaded with good information and is pretty funny at times. Check it out!
dude, i'll totally check it out. that sounds really good.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2012 at 6:40am
For anyone interested in Christian apologetics, here a couple of sites I came across recently:

http://johnlennox.org/index.php/en/resource/limitations_of_science/
http://www.rzim.org/
http://www.veritas.org/

Quote:"Someone once said that if you can argue someone into the Kingdom of God then someone can argue them out of it. I believe that we cannot change someone’s belief, just their understanding of the ‘facts’ of their belief. If their belief is weak then they will sway like a reed in the wind. If it’s strong then only divine revelation will change their minds/hearts.

Incidentally, that’s how all Christians became Christians. Not through their own understanding, intellect, knowledge or behaviours but through God’s divine influence on their live." Phillip Curtis

sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:15am
I thought this was an interesting quote from someone talking about charitable giving:

"... it is NOT how much you give, it is how much it costs you when you give."   -JKL

It put me in mind of what the Lord said in Mark 12:41-44
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2012 at 9:33am
People directly relate God with church. Don't get me wrong, church is a great blessing if the church brings you growth. But some church do fail and people abandon the love of God because a church did something "wrong".

God NEVER FAILS. Put your trust in him.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2012 at 8:29pm
Hoping everyone had a very good Easter.

And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. Matthew 28:5,6

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 5:09pm
Dear fellow christians on this thread, I have a 3 page english paper due tomorrow, and so far I only have 1 page done. Could you guys pray for me, that God would help me be able to understand what I'm doing, be able to finish the paper, and that I can get a good grade. I usually get C's and D's, and I know that with God's help, anything is possible! Thanks guys, I'll post when God comes through.

Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2012 at 6:07pm
^^What is your assignment? IM me, if you'd like, and I'll see if I can help.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2012 at 4:25am
Originally posted by snowboardslider

Dear fellow christians on this thread, I have a 3 page english paper due tomorrow, and so far I only have 1 page done. Could you guys pray for me, that God would help me be able to understand what I'm doing, be able to finish the paper, and that I can get a good grade. I usually get C's and D's, and I know that with God's help, anything is possible! Thanks guys, I'll post when God comes through.

Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

I see god gave you a droid charge on Verizon 4G LTE and also gave you sgreen to help with your assignment.  

do you feel bad for praying for such trivial things?  I guess not or else you wouldn't do it.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 7:09am
God sure has blessed me with my new phone. but he blessed me by giving me work so i could pay for it, it didn't fall from the sky, no lie. i don't even try to stay fly. woah bro. enough time on this rhyme.
i don't "feel bad for praying for such trivial things". i believe that God cares for the pettiest parts of our sin-ridden lives. the Bible says that He will provide our needs and wants, and He has. He helped me finish that paper and turn it in on time!
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 9:44am
Originally posted by mech9t5

I see god gave you a droid charge on Verizon 4G LTE and also gave you sgreen to help with your assignment.  

do you feel bad for praying for such trivial things?  I guess not or else you wouldn't do it.
Is this an attempt at irony or are you being serious?
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 10:52am

Yeah that was mean. It says that you can ask God for anything you need. If he needs help with an essay, why not pray about it?
rurchan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tail Press

Quote rurchan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/12/2012 at 1:06pm
Without us, He is still God
Without God, we are nothing
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 4:25am
Originally posted by rurchan

what makes you think we are anything different with or without god?

do you think association with god makes us something more?  like the entourage of some famous person?
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 4:29am

I don't see any irony in my post.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2012 at 5:58pm

Originally posted by rurchan

what makes you think we are anything different with or without god?

do you think association with god makes us something more?  like the entourage of some famous person?
well, from my personal experience, i can say that God is my ever-present help in time of need. i had a paper that i had put off(as is the case with most students). God answered my prayers, pleas for help, and i got the remaining 2 pages done the day it was due. He helped me break through 'writer's block', pull my thoughts together, and write an amazing paper. this 'association with God' you talk about...i read a chapter in proverbs every morning, and a chapter in psalms at night. i desire to be more like Him, and to be wise , so i read proverbs; the book of the Bible full of wisdom. then at night i want to be more like Him, so i read a psalm, stating how amazing God is. our lives with God(the Christian life) should reflect the Love of Jesus. if we don't, well, we aren't really living for Him.(which is a lot harder than...anyway).
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2012 at 8:35pm

Am I safe in assuming that you are serious? Aren't you what Richard Dawkins refers to as a Darwinian evolutionist: one who believes that the entire universe came into being through the process of evolution?
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 4:34am

Am I safe in assuming that you are serious? Aren't you what Richard Dawkins refers to as a Darwinian evolutionist: one who believes that the entire universe came into being through the process of evolution?

i would classify my post as sarcasm more than irony.  though the second statement still applies no matter what I believe personally.

I am interested in knowing if people who pray for trivial things feel bad about it.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2012 at 2:33pm

I am interested in knowing if people who pray for trivial things feel bad about it.
You presume that it is even possible to "pray for trivial things". Is that a biblical concept? Where do you get that idea?
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2012 at 11:40am

You presume that it is even possible to "pray for trivial things". Is that a biblical concept? Where do you get that idea?

Oh, sorry.  Am I only allowed to presume god exists but the act of praying for trivial things can't exist?

Anyway, I thought it was known that trivial things are a human concept and since a human person is praying about trivial things (a known human concept), I was wondering if that human felt bad about praying for said trivial things.  

And yes, I know what the bible says about god taking care of all your needs.  However, it does not change the fact that some people might feel guilty praying for these trivial things.  It also does not change the fact that they are praying for trivial things regardless of how god is willing to fulfill their prayers.
red_baron View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote red_baron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2012 at 7:45am
If you guys are thinking about it and feel like sendin up some prayers for my dad that would be appreciated.

His surgery started a few minutes ago and he is undergoing his second Total Hip Replacement. 
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 7:12am
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 8:40am
I am getting Baptized this SUMMER. I am so excited. Praise God for the love he gives us everyday. And lets not forget the miracles he has done in our lives.
kikko View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote kikko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 9:48am
i want my neighbor to die... should i pray for it? just wondering.
Fear does not stop death, it stops life...
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by humblerooster

I am getting Baptized this SUMMER. I am so excited. Praise God for the love he gives us everyday. And lets not forget the miracles he has done in our lives.

Congrats Rooster@!
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 5:03am
Originally posted by kikko

i want my neighbor to die... should i pray for it? just wondering.

interesting.  what if your neighbor prays not to die?  Who's prayer wins?  
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2012 at 7:19am
Everybody dies eventually...
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2012 at 10:16pm

Oh, sorry.  Am I only allowed to presume god exists but the act of praying for trivial things can't exist?

Anyway, I thought it was known that trivial things are a human concept and since a human person is praying about trivial things (a known human concept), I was wondering if that human felt bad about praying for said trivial things.  

And yes, I know what the bible says about god taking care of all your needs.  However, it does not change the fact that some people might feel guilty praying for these trivial things.  It also does not change the fact that they are praying for trivial things regardless of how god is willing to fulfill their prayers.
You'll find the answer to your question in 1 Corinthians 8, particularly verse 7.
robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 10:49am
7However, not all possess this knowledge. But some, through former association with idols, eat food as really offered to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

Sgreen - Would you mind elaborating at all?
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2012 at 12:49pm

<span ="reftext">[COLOR="#0066cc">7[/COLOR"></span>However, not all
possess this knowledge. But some, through former association with idols, eat
food as really offered to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

Yeah..... what? I too would like to know what idols and food have to do with praying for trivial things.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 4:44am
Originally posted by namsapalooza

<span ="reftext">[COLOR="#0066cc">7[/COLOR"></span>However, not all
possess this knowledge. But some, through former association with idols, eat
food as really offered to an idol, and their conscience, being weak, is defiled.

Yeah..... what? I too would like to know what idols and food have to do with praying for trivial things.

the knowledge referred to in this passage is the knowledge that god is THE GOD and jesus is THE LORD.  The weak are the ones who do not possess this knowledge (they still believe in other gods and are sacrificing food to them).

the idol they refer to in this passage are false gods (not THE GOD or THE LORD).  That's why it is ok to eat the food sacrificed to these false gods.  

The passage also goes on to say that you aren't doing anything wrong by eating this food but you ARE doing something wrong if you CAUSE someone with a weak mind (without knowledge of jesus being the only god) to eat the same food.  That person with the weak mind still believes that the food is sacred but ate it anyway since he saw you eating it. 

As it applies to praying for trivial things...  I am going to guess at what sgreen is thinking...

It isn't wrong to pray for trivial things because the bible says god will fulfill all your needs and wants.  In sgreen's eyes, the things he is praying for are not trivial since god promised he would provide.  

In another person's eyes (say me), I might feel it is wrong to pray for such trivial things (I am weak because I do not possess the knowledge that god provides)... and if I am praying for trivial things cause sgreen did it, that means sgreen committed a sin.  Sgreen should not be praying for trivial things if it causes me, someone who thinks it is wrong to pray for trivial things, to do it.

That means snowboardslidur can pray for trivial things but shouldn't boast about them and show everyone in case he causes someone who does not possess the knowledge to do something they think is wrong.  otherwise snowboardslider has sinned.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2012 at 8:13am

the knowledge referred to in this passage is the knowledge that god is THE GOD and jesus is THE LORD.  The weak are the ones who do not possess this knowledge (they still believe in other gods and are sacrificing food to them).

the idol they refer to in this passage are false gods (not THE GOD or THE LORD).  That's why it is ok to eat the food sacrificed to these false gods.  

The passage also goes on to say that you aren't doing anything wrong by eating this food but you ARE doing something wrong if you CAUSE someone with a weak mind (without knowledge of jesus being the only god) to eat the same food.  That person with the weak mind still believes that the food is sacred but ate it anyway since he saw you eating it.

As it applies to praying for trivial things...  I am going to guess at what sgreen is thinking...

It isn't wrong to pray for trivial things because the bible says god will fulfill all your needs and wants.  In sgreen's eyes, the things he is praying for are not trivial since god promised he would provide.  

In another person's eyes (say me), I might feel it is wrong to pray for such trivial things (I am weak because I do not possess the knowledge that god provides)... and if I am praying for trivial things cause sgreen did it, that means sgreen committed a sin.  Sgreen should not be praying for trivial things if it causes me, someone who thinks it is wrong to pray for trivial things, to do it.

That means snowboardslidur can pray for trivial things but shouldn't boast about them and show everyone in case he causes someone who does not possess the knowledge to do something they think is wrong.  otherwise snowboardslider has sinned.
Idol worship is sin, but "praying for trivial things" isn't. You stated earlier that trivial prayer is a human concept, not biblical. We don't decide what is/isn't sin. Jesus condemned the Pharisees for that very thing. Matthew 23

No one can be guilty of trivial prayer, because it doesn't exist (except in your mind). We are called to "cast all our cares upon him, for he cares for us". 1Peter 5

You may be onto something in the highlighted passage.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2012 at 6:14am

Idol worship is sin, but "praying for trivial things" isn't. You stated earlier that trivial prayer is a human concept, not biblical. We don't decide what is/isn't sin. Jesus condemned the Pharisees for that very thing. Matthew 23

No one can be guilty of trivial prayer, because it doesn't exist (except in your mind). We are called to "cast all our cares upon him, for he cares for us". 1Peter 5

I think you just agreed with everything I said.
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
CBK Rail Jam (5 yrs old)

Quote snowboardslider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 5:38am
mech, you tried. i honestly found it entertaining how strange your logic was. not that i'm hatin, just appreciatin. however, it's wrong. there is no way i sinned by praying to God! that is a joke in of itself.  you totally took that verse out of context. the basis of that verse is, if what you are doing is causing someone else to stumble, stop doing it. i am not for drinking, but some people believe that drinking is okay in moderation.  example: my pastor used to have a glass of wine with dinner. when his non-christian co-workers asked what his thoughts were on drinking, he told the what he does, and they interprited that as "it's okay to get drunk". big difference. but that verse has NOTHING to do with praying to God, and the other confusing word twisting things you said.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 12:11pm

Not quite. In your first post above, the bolded parts are where I agree. The underlined parts are where I disagree in part. The parts I left alone I disagree with. The lined-out parts are either irrelevant or don't make sense.

c_riley10 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote c_riley10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 2:20pm
Its nice to see some people that arent afraid to say they christians. You are some standup guys, keep up what you do
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 4:55am

Not quite. In your first post above, the bolded parts are where I agree. The underlined parts are where I disagree in part. The parts I left alone I disagree with. The lined-out parts are either irrelevant or don't make sense.

You quoted a passage in the bible and I interpreted it.  If you don't agree you have to at least give me your interpretation instead of just saying you disagree.
mech9t5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote mech9t5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 5:01am

mech, you tried. i honestly found it entertaining how strange your logic was. not that i'm hatin, just appreciatin. however, it's wrong. there is no way i sinned by praying to God! that is a joke in of itself.  you totally took that verse out of context. the basis of that verse is, if what you are doing is causing someone else to stumble, stop doing it. i am not for drinking, but some people believe that drinking is okay in moderation.  example: my pastor used to have a glass of wine with dinner. when his non-christian co-workers asked what his thoughts were on drinking, he told the what he does, and they interprited that as "it's okay to get drunk". big difference. but that verse has NOTHING to do with praying to God, and the other confusing word twisting things you said.

I don't think the verse is out of context and there is no word twisting.  The moral of that verse is that you should not do anything that will cause others to do what they think is wrong even though it is not.

This applies to ANYTHING you do.

Edit:
Also note, I didn't say you sinned for praying.  I said that you could have sinned by boasting about what you got from god when you prayed for it.  
1. It is a sin to boast 
2. If by your boasting, it causes someone else to do something they think is wrong (ie pray for trivial things), you have sinned again.

robnezz23 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote robnezz23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 8:09am
Is it still a sin if you are boasting about how good God has been to you?  Now, I acknowledge there is a difference between boasting for the purposes of showing off (like if you have a nice car, a boat, 12 snowboards, etc...) and boasting for the purposes of giving God the glory.  I guess that's what it comes down to: what is the aim of your boasting?  If it's to magnify God's love, glory and goodness and done in a humble manner, then I would say it is OK.  However, if the aim is to bring attention to yourself instead of to God, then that I would have a problem with.

From 1 Corinthians:  ...as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Just some food for thought.
sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 12:23pm

You quoted a passage in the bible and I interpreted it.  If you don't agree you have to at least give me your interpretation instead of just saying you disagree.
No, sir, I don't, but if you'd like me to and you ask me nicely (Big smile), I'll have something for you eventually.
Nire333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Nire333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 3:53pm
Are we actually fighting about WHAT people are praying for?? At least they are putting their trust in the Lord.

"Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases?" -Corinthians 6.2

I mean, if he would have said "God please give me the strength and courage to follow through on something incredibly bad (ex. Kill, or go directly against the commandments)", I could see the problem. But as I believe it this all started with a prayer to ask for guidance through a difficult paper??

At least he prays to God and fully believes that God will help him with his problems (no matter what they are). When all of us can do that and simply have FAITH, the world will be a better place.

sgreen View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Quote sgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2012 at 4:46pm

Is it still a sin if you are boasting about how good God has been to you?  Now, I acknowledge there is a difference between boasting for the purposes of showing off (like if you have a nice car, a boat, 12 snowboards, etc...) and boasting for the purposes of giving God the glory.  I guess that's what it comes down to: what is the aim of your boasting?  If it's to magnify God's love, glory and goodness and done in a humble manner, then I would say it is OK.  However, if the aim is to bring attention to yourself instead of to God, then that I would have a problem with.

From 1 Corinthians:  ...as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

Just some food for thought.
Good choice. "What does God think?" is the important question we have to answer, and that verse (1Cor. 1:31 which is essentially repeated in 10:17) pretty well sums up his thoughts on boasting. There is good boasting and bad boasting. If boasting were wrong in every case, it would be wrong to glory in God, and the Bible, which boasts of God's goodness and greatness throughout, would oppose itself on that principle. The Father and the Son accepted boasting from one another. Matthew 3:17 is an example of the Father boasting on the Son. Jesus boasted of the Father at the close of the Lord's Prayer: "For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3334353637 43>