Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which wax-
    Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 6:59am
I'm thinking of waxing my own board with condition specific waxes for next season.
Do you guys know what waxes are the best/fastest? And where to get them?

Also which irons tend to be pretty good?

Thanks!
Lib4Life View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Lib4Life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 10:34am
I don't know how much money you want to spend on wax, but my recommendation would be buying a big block of some all-temp cheap wax and waxing your board whenever you feel like it. Swix, Dakine and Burton all make decent wax irons, but if you can find an old clothes iron at a thrift store, those are the best, because they aren't made out of cheap plastic parts and made in China.

2010 Lib Tech TRS | Union Force
GnarGirl View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote GnarGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 11:52am
I'm a huge fan of the bluebird waxes. The classic blue all temp in the shape of a bluebird smells like blueberries and melts super smooth so it coats nicely and smoothly fills in all the scratches in a finer coat so there's less to scrape off.

The other bluebird waxes are good as well, the classic is just my favorite smell.

Burton waxes melt heavy so a lot gets scraped off and wasted, the smell also can give you a headache even with the windows open.

For an iron, I used to have a bakoda iron but lost it in my travels... Now, I actually use an old clothing iron as well. Just don't use the steam option and try to find one with smaller holes. Also, make sure it's clean and there isn't any starch residue on it.
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 11:56am
Hertels Hot Sauce
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
jthomasnz View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
log jib, skyline traverse, Castle mountain

Quote jthomasnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 12:55pm
ive got the burton iron and its awesome. old clothes irons with no holes are good but just makesure you dont get it too hot. all temp wax is good unless its super cold or slushy where i find cold tempereture wax the best. used oneball jay last season and it did the trick
AyChan87 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Snowboarding

Quote AyChan87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2010 at 1:18pm
hahah ive been using an old iron for quite some time, no use spending extra money on a snow specific iron
crzdcole View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote crzdcole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 1:02am
clothes iron is where its at, bought one new for 8 dollars, far better then spending 35 or so for the ubrton.
myungsup View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote myungsup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 1:17am
i'm risking looking pretty stupid but it's a question i must have answered. how do you distinguish the wax you need an iron for and the one you don't need an iron for.
itzmatty View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote itzmatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2010 at 1:35am
this is the best wax out there

otherwise just use candle wax, thats what brother OJ says
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 6:56am
Candle wax? That seems sketch.

I'll definitely check out the bluebird waxes and that lib tech one...

Lib4life - do you know of any cheap blocks that I could just use whenever. I think I want to get a nicer block of wax too, but half the time I'm gonna be jibbing and doing street stuff, so I don't really care how fast my ride is.

EDIT: Hm. Actually the bluebird ones are pretty cheap. Scratch that. hahaha

Thanks everyone.
BVoZ View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote BVoZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 7:09am
candle wax that will slow you down ALOT.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:06am
Haha yeah for sure.
I'm trying to find the bluebird 1lb stick but no one carries it. Sadness...
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:25am
Originally posted by BVoZ

candle wax that will slow you down ALOT.

You have tried this?  Actually, assuming the candles use paraffin wax, it's pretty much the same stuff you're going to buy anywhere.  There are some extra ingredients to make the wax temp-specific (and smell good), but otherwise straight up paraffin from the grocery store will totally work.  It's not going to give you quite the same performance in most conditions but it's not going to be difference you'll notice unless you race.  That said, snowboard wax is pretty cheap if you buy it in bulk so you're not really saving much buy using paraffin.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:39am
Hm.

I also heard that tognar.com has some pretty legit waxes, and you can buy them in larger quantities.

Do you guys know anything about these brands?
http://www.tognar.com/wax_waxes_swix_toko_dominator_holmenkol_zardoz_ski_snowboard.html
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:59am
swix wax is the most popular and well known brand for ski/board wax. but also the most expensive one. as long as you not using candle as wax, you will get pretty much the same performance out of all other wax, and no, the banana wax is not the best out there.

all temp wax will server you well if you just cruising down the hill. hack, i use the cheapo poorboy all temp wax and still able to catch up with skier who bomb down the hill. so all in all, just do the regular routine with your board and you will do just fine doesn't matter what wax you choose at the end of the day.

hmmm... Now What???   
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 12:08pm
Personally, I use kuu...I get it at the shop rate so it's cheap and it performs well enough for what I need.
eriklim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
take on the ice

Quote eriklim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 12:08pm
I use hertels. They've got great customer service.
bluedot_snow View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bluedot_snow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 12:19pm
just getting into tognar.com and liking it AOLT they have great prices and reliable products. I have had good luck with racewax.com products in the past. my advice warm the deck and don't smoke the wax. ie in winter use a heating blanket to heat the base up to body temp( its softer so be careful! the wax will absorb a bit more into the base. and use grandmas iron not moms F that steam stuff!  a Scraper is like a samurai's sword the sharpest steadiest blade gets job done quickest and cleanest!

live like mountain, flow like river
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 6:09am
Haha sick iron... Lol. I'm trying to get something like that, but they're hard to find, and my family all uses those advanced, expensive steam ones.

Fishkur, how do you get your Kuu stuff at shop rate? And... can I do that? Or do I have to be affiliated with a snowboard store...
TGOD View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote TGOD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 11:43am
swixx wax is my favorite. its really fast and its pretty cheap.i got it at rei
julius77 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote julius77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 1:34pm
I've always been partial to burton flouro wax. It's cheap, and I wax my boards a lot. It's also faster on my base than other waxes I've tried. I used to use a traditional iron to wax my board, but I switched to a board specific bakoda iron. the scooped up edges on both sides help move the wax around easier and gives me more control. just my 2 cents.
Shop smart... Shop S-Mart.
Aoiree View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Aoiree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 7:52pm
I use a big block of swix and an old iron I stole from my parents. I drop some wax-paper underneath the iron and pull it up to the handle to get nice rounded edges and to give it the iron a flat-base (normally has holes for steam to be pushed through).
cflaat View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote cflaat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 7:59pm
Just use the right wax for the temperature you are boarding in..and I just bought a 6-7 dollar iron from walmart and just use that for waxing my board only.
scottkUMA View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote scottkUMA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 10:59pm
how often do you guys wax your boards? D:
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote supcadence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2010 at 11:12pm
everytime you go out ^_^
jeremy86 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jeremy86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2010 at 1:21am
I usually wax mine after 2-3 days worth of riding. Obviously it changes depending on the condition, most likely to do it every 2nd day if its icy though.
msdst16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote msdst16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2010 at 2:01am
I wax my board pretty regularly. I have a cold swix wax and a all temp wax. I also have a burton iron that I bought on sale, which does the job.
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 7:23am
So just for reference to everyone who's still checking this, I did some research on using cheap irons for waxing your snowboard, and I think it's generally fine, if the iron you're using is stable in temperature, but it seems to be the case that occasionally non-specific irons can have a very large fluctuation in temperature, and if the iron gets to above 275, you'll end up melting your base pores. And since for optimal wax absorption, apparently you have to get your base to 250, an iron that fluctuates too much in temperature could have problems. Although it's fine if you religiously check the temperature, and make sure you don't turn your iron too high, I think I'm going to go with a snowboard-specific iron just in case, for better temperature regulation.

In any case, thanks everyone for all the help. :) I'll probably be getting my wax & iron soon off of tognar - their prices seem to be good, and I haven't heard any bad things about their product quality.
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 7:31am
Originally posted by eriklim

I use hertels. They've got great customer service.

Out of curiosity, why did you have to call a wax company for customer service?
Kona View Drop Down
Local
Local
kona

Quote Kona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 7:51am
Originally posted by VermontRider

Out of curiosity, why did you have to call a wax company for customer service?

+1

I use swix and bluebird.  I usually bulk up in wax at end of season sales.  Also you can get a cheap iron at that time as well
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2010 at 8:46am
Lol. There's probably a legitimate reason, but still funny. Haha

Agh. I wish I had stocked up at the end of last season. =/ Everything is normal price right now...
aakashsinghal View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote aakashsinghal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 6:12am
I get mine in big blocks from amazon, really good deals if you look at large amounts. I get about 12 ounces for $20 which is better than most. Some stores give you 2-3 ounces for this price.. what else can you expect from a retail store..?

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAYNXO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=HJWI04A7A9E1&coliid=I43JCL3ZP1DSY
GOBANANAS View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote GOBANANAS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 7:52am
+1 for the big amazon brick I'm still on the first one I bought about 3 years ago
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 10:00am
Maybe a little off topic but when doing hot waxes, should/do you take off your bindings so the bolts don't heat up, expand and ruin the board? I really don't like using the rub on wax.
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 10:33am
if you can heat up the bolts while waxing the board, you literally ruined the base already. so, it really doesn't matter you take it off or not at that point.
hmmm... Now What???   
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 11:27am
^^ the inserts themselves are metal, thus act as a heat sink.  the inserts will heat up waaay more than the ptext around them.  you should at least loosen the screws to help avoid the base bumps. 
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 11:38am
I prefer Swix over Bluebird because it's very easy to scrape when cold plus comes in a nice block.  Your iron shouldn't be too hot to heat the bolt, just enough to melt the wax.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 11:52am
6 years with screws screwed tight on board and numerous hot wax done, not a single dimple on the base. if you can make the screws or inserts expand due to heat, you are doing it wrong. i don't even notice any warmness on the topsheet after each hot wax. let alone it will warm up the screws or inserts.
hmmm... Now What???   
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 12:03pm
I think the dimple is more from screwing your screw too tight, I never screw my screws overly tight and always waxed with bindings on, never had a dimple.  But my bro screws his screws way too tight and he has dimples.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 12:08pm
exactly, but people always mixed them together. hence we hearing why should loosen screws before hot wax.
hmmm... Now What???   
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2013 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

exactly, but people always mixed them together. hence we hearing why should loosen screws before hot wax.
It's from force of using your snowboard. I've never waxed my board with the bindings on, nor have I ever stored the board for more than an hour with the bindings on, and it still has pronounced pimples on the base. You could not possibly produce the amount of heat energy required to expand steel for that effect from waxing.

Also, this thread was necro'd from 3 years ago.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2013 at 8:51pm
it really depends on my mood. If i'm feeling lazy ill just loosen the bindings, if im not ill take them off, i store my boards with the bindings on and i dont have any dimples in the base. The dimples in the base is from waxing, think about how a screw works... a screw is designed to pull upward, therefore it pulls the insert towards the topsheet not downwards to the base, the screws aren't long enough to dimple the base.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
 Post Reply Post Reply