Share/Save/Bookmark Page  123 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TankdonSnow View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OZWI Epic Tours

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TankdonSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 2nd Great Debate - Helmet or No Helmet
    Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:06pm
http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/bicycle-helmet-dos-and-donts-20100915-15cs8.html

The great helmet debate ... some interesting views in regard to bicycle helmets which can easily be crossed over to snowboarding.

For me Helmet = YES

WHY? No some much because on my ability to stack it on occasions, but more in relation to people running into you and coping a board or ski in the head ... something I see far to much off. And edges are sharp and leave deep lacerations.

Helmets will also help reduce the severity of a blunt force impact similar to smacking your helmet into hard things like boxes, rails, and hard landings.

I have to ask WHY? people choose not to wear helmets ... I raced motocross competitively at a high level for 7 years and the speeds and jumps are no different to some terrain parks yet many choose no protective gear ... surely the "its not cool" argument is over ... surely our maturity has grown over this.

What is not cool is seeing a friend wrecked for the rest of their life ... I am not saying a simple helmet will prevent all serious incidents as attitude has a lot to do with this, but it will go some way to adding longevity to your riding life.

Find the snow, keep the flow - Epic Days 4ever
elmers_cow View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote elmers_cow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:17pm
helmets cover my vision. But if I had one, I'd probably always wear it anyways. Just too cheap to dish out the cash for a new helmet. I should get one this season though.. Lets hope I do.

let it snow
Haydn24 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Haydn24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:53pm
I always wear a helmet, you never know when something will go wrong. It could save your life. And pretty much everyone is wearing them here in aus now. Its becoming a trend :P
surgyon View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote surgyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2010 at 11:55pm
didn't wear it my first two time out on the mountain and i felt it limited me from wanting to go any farther having seen motorcycle crash victims first hand aka organ donors as we call them in the hospital, i have one now
owen125 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote owen125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 12:04am
I wear a helmet evertime i go up and it really helps if you fall and hit your head on the snow. I have only had one really bad crash where the helmet really helped and yes it still hurts but they do save lives and like it was mentioned before almost everyone in Australia is waering them.
winze View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote winze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 12:43am
Helmets should be compulsory imho. Just like when you ride a bike, skiing and snowboarding is potentially even more dangerous given you have people coming from behind you and from your blind spots all the time.

Some people are too concerned about style/looks and think helmets are lame i guess. I mean if children are required to wear them and they are going at lower speeds then why is it different for adults.
Dicken_huang View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Dicken_huang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 1:13am
i need helmet because it make my more confidence.
not afraid to hurt head
jeeemchew View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jeeemchew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 1:26am
i say yes to a helmet. i need to buy one for myself this year! never know what might happen. better safe than sorry.
supcadence View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote supcadence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 1:29am
i used to think wearing helmets was unnecessary and silly...that is until i started going at absurd speeds
STRICK-9 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote STRICK-9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 1:36am
I didn't have one all of last season but in order to grow this year, I think I need to invest.
msdst16 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote msdst16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 2:17am
Seems like there isn't much debate in this Forum. Everyone is pro helmet. Glad to see all the kiddies are being safe and smart.
humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 2:25am
i wear my helmet now cause it comes with bluetooth wireless LOL

on another note
i got upended by some jackass going at fast speed but couldnt stop near the lift lines (the bit wear everyone normally unbinds )

landed smack bang back of the head
luckily i had helmet, could of been worse...was pretty dazed after that...pretty much ended my day

moral of the story...you may have confidence that your own riding ability to not have serious accident...doesnt mean some jackass cant stuff up your day Ouch

on speaking of jackasses
skiers with their no control of poles..tucking it under their arms while doing other sh!t
been wacked in head the lift lines by them too

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 2:34am
deep PNW poderz dont let you crack your skull on anything.  too deep and too damp.

now a neck brace for high speed pow starfishing.. that might come in handy.
kinglc View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Sierra Crew

Quote kinglc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 2:37am
Never know helmet was that great until i started using it this season. I would have been in concussion w/o it as my head went straight down onto the hard packed 'snow'.

Plus, it prevent my goggles from fogging up when i put it over the forehead (beanie emits the heat from head causing the fogged up).

humdingaling View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humdingaling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 2:51am
yep there is a distinct general lack of pow in Australia.
8/10 we will be riding hard packed snow/ice/man made stuff

although this end of season has been stellar Big smile

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side..
snowmen View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote snowmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 2:54am
Helmet is a must. I have taken several hard falls at high speeds in which the helmet protected my head.
Shaz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Shaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 3:16am
I always wear a helmet. I never used to skiing but snowboards tend to dump you onto your back more so that your head flicks back. They also keep the wind out more than just a beanie.
Guest_270058 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Guest_270058 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 3:26am
Never used to wear a helmet, but as soon as I did I began to feel more confidant to pick up speed etc and my skiing improved!
andreww View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote andreww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:05am
I have a big head... hard to find a helmet my size =(
xrmitchell View Drop Down
Local
Local
Snowbird on a bluebird

Quote xrmitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:06am
Of course wear a helmet. If Kevin Pearce hadn't been wearing one, he'd be dead.
snowydays14 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
A photo I took on the fourth of July

Quote snowydays14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:06am
I've always worn a helmet. When I first started snowboarding I took some pretty hard falls right on my head, and each time I was so glad I had on my helmet, cause I probably would've had a concussion or something worse. Helmets are a definite! 
Give me snow!!!!
tomek77pl View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote tomek77pl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:07am
helmet saftey first you dont want to regret not wearing one
irish-boarder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote irish-boarder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:07am
helmet without a doubt! it's not even as if it's a major burden to wear one. plus ultimately the protect it offers far out weighs and dis-advantages.
The 'GINGERS HAVE SOULS' kid is crazy..
fostpaint View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote fostpaint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:12am
Originally posted by spenser

deep PNW poderz dont let you crack your skull on anything.  too deep and too damp.

now a neck brace for high speed pow starfishing.. that might come in handy.

I hate you

Can I come visit?
Boneseh View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Killington, VT

Quote Boneseh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:25am
I always wear my helmet out on the slopes.  It adds confidence and ever since I started venturing into the park I feel it's a necessity.  Especially with how hard the east coast snow gets, you'd got to have a helmet.
Just call me Dan
eldolocal68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote eldolocal68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:37am
why is this a debate? helmets just make sense, as for powder being too deep to hit your head on anything...how about trees and large rocks? plus, you ever ride thru trees and have a branch snag you hat and tear off your hat and goggles with it...doesn't happen when you wear a helmet. Really it's just stupid not to wear one, with today's tech, it's hard to complain about being too hot or cumbersome, and it's a bad example to set for groms.
Snowman7 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Snowman7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:40am
Helmet always, no body should be on the hill without a helmet. It's so important to have one!!! If you smoke your head on anything you could be outta snowboarding for a while, kinda common sense to wear one!!!
polaris View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote polaris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:42am
^^I agree specially living on the ice coast lol. I usually wear a helmet snowboarding, but biking around campus I don't.
ruffm4n View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
spaceman

Quote ruffm4n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:45am
Helmet? = Yes

its where i mount my gopro cam, and its where my BT headphone sit ( i know im a snowboarding g33k), plus it keeps my noggin safe
CoMtnRider View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote CoMtnRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:52am
Helmets are warm, fit great if you get one that is your size.  Not only do they protect your noggin for any unforseen falls but tree bashing is nowhere near as fun when you are getting stabbed in the head by branches a helmet would deflect.
I mock your value system and you look foolish in the eyes of others. - Homer Simpson
Phatman View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote Phatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:56am
Originally posted by eldolocal68

why is this a debate? helmets just make sense, as for powder being too deep to hit your head on anything...how about trees and large rocks? plus, you ever ride thru trees and have a branch snag you hat and tear off your hat and goggles with it...doesn't happen when you wear a helmet. Really it's just stupid not to wear one, today's tech it's hard to complain about being to hot or cumbersome, and it's a bad example to set for groms.
WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!!

but seriously, Eldo is 100% correct on this one. Theres just no good reason to not wear a helmet anymore.
A thermos keeps hot stuff hot, and cold stuff cold.....BUT HOW DOES IT KNOW???
dirtysouth View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
cuban in costa rica

Quote dirtysouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 4:58am
Hasn't this topic been debated multiple times?

Anyway, I'm pro helmet.  I've never heard a good reason for not wearing one.
DonkeyButt4Me View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote DonkeyButt4Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 5:08am
I agree ... helmets are not just necessary imo, but comfortable too.  They keep my head warm with the vents closed better than any hat and when opened, let the air right in to cool me off.  I don't believe it hinders my vision at all.  My goggles fit on them nicely with no issue.  I'm now more confident on hard pack and ice... because slipping out and falling on my ass and banging my head won't cause too much pain... trees are less frightening and in general my riding has improved with this confidence - even if it is false confidence.

I never ride without it... particularly with my little siblings or nieces and nephews because I believe in setting a good example.

I also think it just makes sense... I hate when people say they look stupid.  I fell getting off a lift once...  something I do thousands of times with no issue... a freak thing.  What got hit was my head... to the point where I didn't know how I'd ride down.  I spent the rest of that day nursing a beer, a shot and a headache... I'm sure I'd have looked a lot cooler on the hill with my helmet on.
fishkur View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote fishkur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 5:21am
Originally posted by elmers_cow

helmets cover my vision. But if I had one, I'd probably always wear it anyways. Just too cheap to dish out the cash for a new helmet. I should get one this season though.. Lets hope I do.

You're wearing it backwards.
grunge View Drop Down
Local
Local
Thinkingman

Quote grunge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 5:22am
Wow... weird.. I'm sort of the other way around. I got a helmet but never did wear it.. bought it everywhere with me tho', even when I went to NZ, didn't get worn. 
Not because I go out of my way to not wear it but because I like the beanie I have to keep me warm. Plus it's an orange crab.

Maybe one day I'll wear the damn helmet, I did pay the money for it. 

PowderPig View Drop Down
Local
Local
Utah

Quote PowderPig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 6:29am
Helmet would be the responsible thing to do. At first i thought my head would be cold, but turns out the helmet is comfortable and warm, then i added the ear phone pieces and now i can't see myself going a day riding without it.
Skis, huh?...Great! They yours?...Both of 'em?
ACRucrazy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote ACRucrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 6:36am
The only time I have worn a helmet is swinging a stick at a ball and running around the diamond as a kid. Or at the track in my car, or on my motorcycle...

Hrm... Guess I should start wearing a helmet while on the winter sticks.
Peekaboo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Peekaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 6:45am
I usually go low speed, so I never really thought about getting one.

I am considering getting one just to be safe. What about comfort? I have had bicycle helmets, those are uncomfortable.   
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 6:51am
Helmets don't just help protect you from things you do, they help protect you from things other people do. I've told this story a thousand times on here, I'm sure, but my brother-in-law was unstrapping by the lift line and a guy plowed into him. His helmet was split in half and he chipped a few teeth. If he wasn't wearing a helmet he would have been even more f-ed up. A skier ran into my wife last year and broke her helmet.
There is no reason to not wear a helmet, no matter where you ride or how you ride.

vandi518 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote vandi518 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Peekaboo

I usually go low speed, so I never really thought about getting one.

I am considering getting one just to be safe. What about comfort? I have had bicycle helmets, those are uncomfortable.   

Wise decision, how fast you are going has nothing to do with how fast someone who runs into you is going.

I used the comfort excuse years ago and realized I was just being flat out stupid in not protecting myself and went out and tried on every helmet I could find until I found the one that felt most comfortable.  Not to say it doesn't take some getting used to but now I don't even notice it and can't imagine any justification not to wear one, no matter where I am riding or what the conditions are.  All it takes is one "unfortunate" incident and you become a news story.  
DCC View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote DCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 7:07am
alrite, time to invest in a helmet, u put the fear in me now
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 9:09am
helmet - giro nine.9
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
pibimbap View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
sleeping at mammoth...

Quote pibimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 9:23am
I feel like snowboarding also has a generally lower risk than bicycling (though of course it's dependent on the level of each). If you fall while cycling, you land on cement, dirt, or rocks, or get hit by a car, which is a lot worse than landing on snow.

But in any case, while helmets will only protect you from lighter head injuries like concussions and cuts, those are really the only things that the majority of snowboarders have to worry about. I would definitely rather not have a concussion than have one.
fyanga View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote fyanga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 9:36am
i vote YES on helmets!

not worth the risk of damaging the noggin.
Worm506 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote Worm506 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 9:37am

Yes to the helmet. Nothing bad can come from wearing one that I can think of.

dougfagel View Drop Down
Educator
Educator
Instructing How to Douglas!!

Quote dougfagel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 9:39am
For me, I vote YES for helmets.

I don't always where one, but I do most the time.

I vote NO for laws that make snowboarders where helmets.
Duneluder View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Duneluder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 9:43am
Yes, definitely, since buying my helmet I haven't ridden a single day without it, don't really notice it after a run and all season it's just part of the gear. Mine has audio earpads too so that's nice.

So far the only time I've needed it was when my brother crashed his knee into the top of my head, if I didn't have a helmet he could have done some pretty serious damage...it hurt so bad and dazed me.....and if other people is all it protects me from, that's good enough for me, and I'm sure I'll smack my head at some point and it will be worth it. Really not an inconvenience.

AnthonyN View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote AnthonyN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 10:03am
I only use my helmet when im hitting up the terrain park or the half pipe other than those places i rarely land on my head when i fall so i think there is no point.
catau View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote catau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 10:03am
Definently big yes !  Get a very confy helmet suited to your head and light too.
I wear giro g10 and i think it's the best of the best, light, big vents mega confy etc.

TankdonSnow View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OZWI Epic Tours

Quote TankdonSnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2010 at 11:50am
So far resounding support for wearing helmets ... not really what I was expecting. I read pretty much every incident report that happens on my Mountain (around 2000 a season) and we record whether or not the person was wearing a helmet. I being finishing up soon analysis of the data pretty soon and will share some general information about what I find.

I actually have 2 helmets - one for winter which has no vents and a second for spring which is vented I find a bandanna is really useful to wear under a helmet (as I have no hair, which I love by the way - one less thing to have to do in life).

In regard to making helmets mandatory to be worn (eg. it becomes law) I think that there is some merit in this in regard to liability for resorts. It goes a bit like this ... as providers of an area for recreational activity we know that helmets can reduce the severity of injuries and in some case prevent injuries all together - we have knowledge of how the safety of people can be improved, should we be acting on it to do all that is reasonable to protect people from themselves ... food for thought. Agree also that it is every ones choice.

I can only think back to my motocross/enduro riding days and going to purpose built and managed recreational areas for this activity. Riding with a helmet was mandatory (these were not public roads where it is the law) .... the same risks apply in a snow resort from my perspective ... similar speeds at times can be achieved.

I recently did some speed testing and you would be surprised that just cruising on a low intermediate run was consistently 40km/h ... more on that in another forum.
Find the snow, keep the flow - Epic Days 4ever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>